Game Over

Philophobia
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter Ten: Game Over

When at first you would plan things, it would always look that easy. At plan, you have flawlessly thought of how you would get into this, how to get information from that, and how to unveil what you have learned to everyone—well, those would have been easy, but not. Nothing will go accordingly to plan and you’re trapped in hell, waiting for the right chance to do your plan and end things quickly.

It has been my second week working. Every after my class, I’d go straight to my father’s office, then do some paperwork and head to Mihyun’s office to have it checked by her. Nothing that they asked me to do was easy, it was all do this marketing plan, and make sure you get to make the grandest PPT for the presentation to the board of directors… or whatever they call it. Not like I’m thinking they really are, but I think Mihyun has been making my life miserable, making sure that I’d surrender and quit. That’s not gonna happen. I won’t quit until I find something that can go against them.

“Hyesoo, bring this to Ms. Han’s together with the proposal she asked you to make in five.” Mini, Mihyun’s secretary told me as she placed a folder on my desk. I only glanced at it but made a worried look. I still need to hand over ten proposals that I just finished a while ago to different departments in this office, while five revised proposals that I need to bring to my father’s office I have two proposals to pass to her, plus Mini gave me. All needed to be passed in an hour. I’m in my second to the last proposal to revise. Why do my dad and his wife’s employees do proposals that still needs revision? Damn, could they get more inefficient? Because I can say, that this is too much proposals to revise.

“Mini-ssi, can I bring it in like… 15 minutes? I’m almost done with this two that she’s supposed to check and—”

Mini cut me off,  “In five, Ms. Han does not really fancy late submissions.”

With one last look, Mini left me and I quietly scowled. Can I add that, Mini acts as if she’s someone in high position? Can she get any ier at me? I guess she can. “Thank goodness, last one.” I muttered as I saved the file and clicked the print button. While it was printing, I opened the last file to be revised. I twirled by hair in a bun and just let it fall behind my back as I stretched a bit before I finally start reading the proposal. “Holy cow, twenty pages?” I moaned in annoyance as I slumped my head on the desk. I almost want to give up. This is too much work. I almost have no time checking around both offices to get evidences, it’s like I have been working more of a full time in compare to all the full time employees in both companies.

Suddenly, I felt my hair being pulled, not in a painful way, but as if it was being tied together. I raised my head up after my hair was done being tied and looked behind me. It was Jungkook, looking down at me with a smile. We don’t really always get this close every time, but we do exchange glances and smile a bit, something like that. I mean, we need not to stay away from each at all, the only thing that we can’t do is to act more like a couple because everyone in this company knows that Jungkook and Seolhyun are supposed to marry. “Uh, thanks.”

Jungkook took one of the chairs from the desk beside mine and placed it next to mine and sat. That was so boyfriend-ish and it somehow makes me feel slightly awkward, and giddying. “Are you done? Let’s have lunch.”

I glanced at him then at the monitor, “Uh, I’m not yet done. So, uh, you should go.”

“No, I’ll wait for you.” He said.

I shook my head, “No, you should go. I’ve piles to do before I can have my lunch. I need to have this checked by Mihyu—” I cleared my throat in embarrassment, “Ms. Han. Then I’ll have to give those out to the departments and—”

Without letting me finish, Jungkook took the 10 revised proposals from my desk and looked at it one by one. “I’ll go give this out now. So you can finish that and give it to her, then we can have lunch.”

“I have 5 more to give in my father’s office.” I almost pouted at him.

He scrunched his nose cutely and told me, “Stubborn, that can wait after lunch. I’m going.”

I didn’t bother stop him, instead I looked back at the monitor and finish this freaking revisions.

I managed to finish all the revisions in fifteen minutes—there is no way I’m going to make it in five because: 1. It is impossible; and 2. I hate following Mini whole-heartedly. Once I finished printing them, I placed them in their separate folders and went to Mihyun’s room. I knocked on the door once and entered, seeing Mihyun in rage. She was talking to someone phone and it looked really urgent. I was going to leave because I don’t really mean to intrude, knowing that this might only cause more anger to her. But she called me and motioned me to come to her. She was standing beside her desk, clutching her head like it was really important. “So what do you plan on doing?” she spoke as I bowed at her and placed the folders on her desk. “Board meeting? But Byunghun’s will have a board on the said date?... No, no there can’t be any reason to get it rescheduled, it’s the day we have to announce about my daughter’s 21st birthday!”

Right, Seolhyun’s birthday will be in a month and it will probably grand. I bowed at her again and she only nodded at me with her eyes squinted in rage. “What else to the stockholders need? I gave them enough proof. The financial statements said so… Fine, fine, then we’ll have to set the board meeting with Byunghun’s at the same day, and at the same time. Every employees of both companies should be there.”

My heart sparked with hope. The time has come for my plan to be initiated.

“Oh god. Stop doing that!” I groaned as Jungkook appeared in front of me like lightning. Jungkook was equally surprised as I did as he said, “What did I even do?”

“You startled me!” I protested.

Jungkook only laughed at me as he showed me my bag and the folders that I still have to bring over at my dad. “You’re done right? Let’s have lunch!”

“Jungkook, I…”

“No.” he said in a serious look, “I’m not taking no for an answer. Let’s go.”

---

When at first after who knows how long, you would feel shy. Jungkook and I had our lunch under a cherry blossom tree, which leaves aren’t as blossomy because of the autumn weather. Jungkook had prepared lunch for the two of us, and it made my heart jump into multitudes because of this certain effort. We were sitting on a huge quilt blanket and beside us was the basket filled with food that only him prepared—or maybe his mother did. I would love to fool myself that this was for Seolhyun, and not for me. But I can’t help but feel how the both of us has missed this moment where we need not to worry of other things, we need not to worry of whatever the past and the future may be, because all we care about is the present, right where we are.

“Why are you looking at me?” Jungkook asked as he stopped chewing his food, holding his chopsticks close to his mouth that looked like a bunny’s.

I smiled at him as I shook my head, I held onto the lunch box on my lap and continued to eat the lunch. We love eating breakfast at lu

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter