Surprise

The Underground City

“Not my boyfriend my .”

 

Xin growled when I walked away from Baekhyun’s car and towards her. Today, was a good day. And I mean a good day. I was happy, he was content, and we both agreed that he could take me to class today. It felt different. The air between us was something I never expected for us to have. We laughed, smiled, even talked. I don't know what to internally feel about this.

 

Xin rolls her eyes dramatically at me and stood on one leg before twirling a few strands of her hair with her index finger. The look in her eyes showed a playful power of betrayal and I smiled at her. She blew a bubble from the chewed gum in and walked over to her other friends that were more social and.. I hate to say it, popular. This is university for goodness sake’s but the fact that she is still friends with that little hussy is getting on my nerves. We went to highschool together and it was not pretty. Xin pretty much knows this but she still thinks it’s nice enough to be her friend. Sometimes I questions how I even got to be her friend in the first place.

 

I walked through the corridor to find my class and when I appeared at the door, there was a whole commotion going on. It was odd to see this in real life but the student body was literally split by gender. The boys were crowding and were talking enthusiastically towards the middle of the group while the girls were on the other side, glaring the group of boys, ready to murder any one of them in a second. The moment I entered, the boys turned their heads back in shock probably thinking I was the professor but let out relieved breaths and turned back to the center of their own group.

 

I raised my brows at them and lightly scoffed with disbelief. Boys are so stupid. I walked over to my usual table seat when I noticed a familiar framed glasses. The glasses were very normal but the thing that made it unique was a symbol. My symbol. In the Underground City, we have different groups set for different things signed by a symbol. However, all in all there is a dominant one in which is my family’s signature. The easiest way to explain it would be Madara’s mangekyo sharingan with three coy fish in the filled circles facing one direction. I already knew who it was by the time I set foot between the boys.

 

“Nari?”

 

“AJ!”

 

She perked up from her seat once she saw me and hugged my body to death. I smiled and laughed slightly at her mood. It's good to see her without going to the fourth path but what's her game? Is she studying here now?

 

When I pulled her away from me at arm's length she whispered that we'll talk after class. I nodded and sent her a knowing look. She smirked back in reply and sat next to my seat. The boys that were around her seat before looked surprised that I knew someone that looked so.. Opposite of me? Ha, when it came down to the roots, we were all the same.

 

Professor Kim walked in with a coffee in one hand and a bag in his other. He raised his eyebrows at the sudden split in class that was still standing.

 

“Why the hell are you guys still standing? This isn't some high school teenage class. Get in your seats.”


 

When the class ended, Nari and I walked out together as soon as we could to go to the campus’ canteen. On our way there, we chatted about the many things that happen here and there. Xin was already seated at the table near the cafe on the campus. She waved me over with a smile but it soon faded when she looked at Nari. I didn’t think much of it and greeted her back with a wave. The three of us were seated and introducing each other to the other.

 

“Xin, this is Nari. Nari, this is Xin, one of my best friends.”

 

Nari excitedly waved and even stuck out a hand with a smile and greeted her but Xin only looked at her hand and looked away. I awkwardly glance at Nari and she put her hand down, disappointed to be rejected by a handshake. While my normal best friend was not even giving the slightest bit of effort to catch in our conversation, I chatted with my gangster best friend about all the new things happening in the city.

 

"How about we go to that new underground jazz bar down by the UC?"

 

Usually, I would scold people who talked about the Underground City in the regular part of the world but no one really knew of the area unlike the other three parts of the gang paths. Plus, UC could be the abbreviation for anything.

 

At the mention of a jazz bar, I instantly nodded and smiled. Nari knew my style tastes so well. The two of us chatted about what things could be new or not in the grand opening of it. I glanced back at Xin to find her totally uninterested in our talk about the jazz bar. She blew on her nails and played with her hair while chewing her pieces of gum. I waited until Nari finished her spazzing about what type of bartender hotties (as she describes it) and tried to include Xin in our conversation. Unfortunately, she was still not contributing to this conversation which made me a little angry about her act towards my best friend.

 

"You should join us, Xin! It'll be fun."

 

I saw her roll her eyes probably thinking we couldn't see it but to her bad luck, we did. She stopped giving attention to her nails and leaned in a bit closer to us.

 

"No thanks. Tonight's Kwon's spectacular Ambrosia Wave at his parent's loft. I'm the guesting DJ obviously. You should join, I'll make a reservation for you."

 

She took out her phone and was already planning an RSVP for me. Nari looked at me confused on all of what she was saying so I waved it off to explain later. I grabbed Xin's phone and placed it on the table. She looked at me confused and in disbelief for a moment before asking what was up.

 

"You can't just make a reservation on the list for me when I haven't agreed. Especially when you didn't invite Nari,  Xin. I already planned to go to a jazz bar with Nari anyway. So just cancel it."

 

Xin scoffed and looked at me with a real glare in her eyes. I was a little taken back because this is the first time she's ever truly glared at me with hate. She stood up from her seat and grabbed her bag. Before she walked away, she threw one last glare and said a few harsh words which really hurt me.

 

"God, you guys are the perfect friends, huh? Even both of your names are the same. You know, I'm glad someone else showed up in your life. I don't have to keep watching over your loser self."

 

In some points, I thought losing Xin was going to be really painful. But I guess now that I've actually seen her becoming like the little es that bullied me back in highschool, I made my thoughts clear. I wouldn't mind losing her. Yet, why are tears on the verge of falling down my eyes? I grabbed her wrist and dragged her to the farther side of the canteen.

 

"Why are you acting so disparate now?"

 

"Because I'm tired of this, Nari! It took me years to have you finally go out of your shell and here you are with some new girl already willing to go and hang out. It's not like you even care about my being."

 

"What are you talking about?? I do care about you. You're one of my best friends! "

 

"Best friends don't go sneaking around. I'm tired of this. Of you. You know, Seohyun was right. I shouldn't have hung out with you. You only brought me down."

 

I was left speechless as she walked away without even glancing back. I blinked rapidly, not believing in this mess. She's my first normal friend out of the gangster world. And now she's gone. How could she just believe in Seohyun too? Looks like they were a better match of friends than we were. They’re all the same.

 

It looked like Nari knew what was going on because when I remembered she was still here and turned to look at her, she was by my side with our bags and ready for any sobbing thing to happen. I didn't say anything and just left with her to our homes back in the Underground.

 

 


 

 

It was already past 2 PM when Nari and I were getting ready to go to the jazz bar. She had on a sleeveless top where the back was cut out in the shape of a skeleton head, black high waisted skinny jeans and taupe colored combat boots. Her hair was styled down with loose curled tips. I wore an Arctic Monkeys crop top with denim shorts and mahogany colored vans. My hair was up in a messy bun and I wore white square framed glasses with two or three rings on each finger of my left hand.

 

The two of us were in Nari's house changing into more comfortable clothes for the rest of the day and night. She thought it was a better idea to enjoy the jazz music and catch up on any hanging details of our lives. What I didn't know until we got out of the Underground City's path was that she invited Baekhyun. And not only Baekhyun but his gang too.

 

I didn't think they were going with us, especially when I saw that Yuri clinging onto his arm like she couldn't be separated with him for even a minute. The two of them were standing near the entrance of the exit leading to the main city. They were chatting with each other but it didn't seem like Baekhyun wanted to be there. On the other hand, Yuri was happily spouting out random words and she eventually caught my eye. We both glared at each other with pure hatred. She smirked after a full minute of our glares and I definitely wanted to punch her face. She's really out to get me.

 

"Oppa, I don't know why you and the other oppas hang around such scum. They aren't worth living in this world don't you think?"

 

I could feel the deathly stares aimed towards the by the one and only Nari. She was ready to attack her any moment now but I held her back. I've been brought down already today. I think I can handle the words this little girl. I was ready to just leave them when I caught her next words perfectly clear.

 

“You know, maybe her parents don’t even like her. She’s probably one of those pitiful orphans who weren’t wanted and noticed. That’s why she joined into SMTown. To be noticed and wanted.”

 

I clenched my fists until my knuckles were turned pure white. I turned my back, facing the unwanted hoe and was going to charge at her until I saw Baekhyun harshly push her off him to the point she fell to the ground on her . Everyone’s face was certainly surprised by what he did. I mean, he really pushed her to the ground, flat on her . Even she was looking at him in disbelief.

 

“You should stop your false bull and never come face to face with me ever again. Don’t speak as if you know everything about her.”

 

Baekhyun glared at Yuri and walked down the direction of the UC. His friends looked at him in even more surprise because he was heading down to the most dangerous path of all gangs. My heart no only picked up it’s pace from the defence for what he did but because then everything would be exposed. I grabbed his hand and pulled him back to warn him with a look in my eyes. e immediately got the clue and just stayed silent.

 

I looked back at the Yuri girl and found her still looking like everything that happened was impossible. She huffed and stomped her foot before going inside the SM Apartments. I smirked at her childish behaviour before smacking Baekhyun in the head for his stupidity. I could hear his friends laughter along with Nari behind us.

 

“Yah. First of all, you shouldn’t have pushed her down! That was my job.”

 

I saw the little smile he had on once I said that. It made some my heart unconsciously beat faster and harder and something weird kept fluttering in my stomach.

 

“Second of all, watch where you’re going. I don’t need anyone else knowing about my identity.”

 

I whispered the last statement and he nodded with a mumbled apology. I shook it off and dragged him back to the group.

 

“So are you guys joining us at the jazz bar?”

 

“Yeh.. Your friend invited us.”

 

Sehun replied monotonously as his eyes stared at one particular part beside me.. I already knew what he was staring at and I couldn’t help but not let go of his hand. It felt comfortable and safe. But I guess Baekhyun noticed his intense staring and let go of our hands. I heard a crack somewhere and looked around but nothing was there. I faced back to the group and went to Nari.

 

 


 

To how we got to the jazz bar near the Underground City was a little easier than I thought. Nari told the boys that it was in between from the regular city so all we needed to do was sneak into the other side of the path. I warned of my men beforehand that if they see a group of young adults sneaking through some bushes in the down under, it was fine. We easily made it through to the part of the lively part of the city of Seoul. We passed through all the street entertainments and neat stores that fit my taste. It was only 20 minutes later where we found the underground jazz bar. The area was more quiet than where we first started walking and the outside of the building looked a little wrecked. Nari found the entrance on the lower back side of the building and it was better than the front. The stairs going down were decorated with small lantern lights that ended at an arch where the door was. We headed down and opened the doors to find the place completely crowded with all sorts of people and acoustic music playing currently.

 

Everyone was all in their own vibe and chill with themselves. The boys were so amazed by the decorations and separated themselves from us pretty quickly. Baekhyun and Sehun were the only ones who stayed with us so we all headed to the seats near the stage. Nari ordered all of our drinks and chatted it up with Sehun who looked totally uninterested in the drink in front of him when it arrived. He gave one word replies to her which definitely died down the conversation instantly. Baekhyun just enjoyed the performances happening and I was staring off into anything, giving silent gestures to Nari on the other side to make things less awkward.

 

We haven’t been here for that long when I stumbled upon something I didn’t want to happen. I gave NAri an emergency signal to take Sehun and Baekhyun away from here. Luckily enough, Baekhyun said he was going to the bathroom. I gladly hoped he got stuck in one of the stalls or the bathroom door itself wouldn’t budge open once he’s inside. Nari dragge Sehun to the other side of the place where the rest of the boys were.

 

I straightened the wrinkles that formed in my clothes and my dry lips. I was getting pretty nervous because I haven’t this person in so long even when I went home. The said figure approached my being and gave a sweet smile that I truly missed. She hugged me and I did the same back. God, how much I missed her.

 

“Anh Jae Unnie. I haven’t seen you in so long. It’s been several years, huh? How are you?”

 

I smiled sincerely and old her all about what’s going on in my life, even the current events that happened so far. She felt a little sorry before telling me all about what’s going on in her own teenage life. I was thankful she didn’t end up feeling pity for me. That’s one thing I hate the most.

 

“Unnie, do you have a boyfriend yet?”

 

I spat out my drink and coughed on my own choke that formed. I shook my head in the process. She seemed to be disappointed with that fact so I asked her why.

 

“You’re already 21 years old. When are you going to get a boyfriend and marry the man? I want to become an auntie too!”

 

My jaw dropped to the floor. Literally. Ohkay, I’m not that old to the point I won’t get married and have children. I just started my prime years as an adult. How does she expect me to fulfill her wishes when I’m only 21?! I stuttered out a response but nothing really came together. She had a little smile but behind it, I could see a smirk. That little evil teasing girl.

 

I was too focused on giving a response to her that I forgot I had company. Baekhyun came back from the restroom (curse my luck) and was surprised to see my younger sister in his spot. Just how many surprises are we all gonna go through today?

 

“Who’s the girl?”

 

He whispered in my ear and I got a little shocked by the closeness he gave me. I leaned a little back and laughed nervously because I could now see that visible smirk on my sister’s face telling me I left out an important detail in my life. I cleared my throat and introduced the two.

 

“Baekhyun, this is my younger sister, Min Kyung. Min, this is Baekhyun, m-”

“You’re Anh Jae’s boyfriend right?”

 

Is it too late to smash my head against the wall?

 

Her voice changed from the happy girl a moment ago to the mischievous girl who had cards up her sleeve. I wanted to slap her face for guessing wrongly and only being on a one mind thing because she totally ignored my protests and shook his hand as if welcoming him into the family. Please kill me now.

 

“We were just talking about this too, oppa in law. I was asking her if she had a boyfriend and you came in the right time.”

 

She smiled gracefully and hugged him. I glance at his expression and he was beyond confused and awkward. He lightly tapped her back in return of the hug because obviously, he didn’t know what to do.

 

She stepped back and stood on her feet, a sign that she was about to leave. I sighed in relief and thanked the heavens for such a fortunate time for her to leave.

 

“This is perfect. Everything is perfect. Anh Jae Unnie, since this is the first time in several years I’ve seen you, let’s celebrate with a dinner at our house. Bring your boyfriend along too! Appa will be glad to him.”

 

I turned pale white at the smug smile she had on. Oh my god, I can’t. No. I knew she was up to something.

 

“And I expect you to come, Unnie. You wouldn’t let down your younger sister, would you? Especially after 5 years of not seeing each other?”

 

I felt a tinge of pain in my heart when she said that. We are always separated the most from all of my family members. I guess it’s the least I can do. But I cannot bring Baekhyun. I’ll think of a way somehow.

 

“Sure. See you tonight.”

 

I gave a stiff smile to her and she waved goodbye. Before she completely left, she said she also expected to see “Baekhyun Oppa” there. I slammed my forehead against the bar table three times before pausing to think and resuming my hitting. A soft object interfered with my 14th slam against the table when I realized it was Baekhyun’s hand. I looked down and my lips from the nervous feeling building inside me. What was that all about anyway? I don’t usually feel like this.

 

“Hey, if you don’t want me to go I’m fine with it. Just tell her I already had plans.”

 

I stared at him and he looked pretty sincere with his words. Does he know anything about my family? There are some dark secrets that shouldn’t be known, not even to my own gang.

 

“You don’t know, Baekhyun. You don’t know.”

 

 


 

 

Baekhyun

 

It was already 7 PM when we left the jazz bar. Nari and Anh Jae went a separate way, saying they had to do their own things and some personal shopping. The guys agreed with it and thought no more of it but I knew they were going back to their homes in the Underground City using the UC pass. Us guys walked back to the regular paths, occasionally stopping by the shops we didn’t get to go in earlier. There was a store that caught my eye when the rest of the guys went into the shop next door. It was a smaller shop that was open rather than closed. I remember Anh Jae eyeing this shop before we walked off. She specifically looked at a large drawing of a fox. I walked closer and saw the name and artist.

 

The Crow and the Fox by Gustave Dore..”

 

I didn’t know why but I bought the drawing and even had it wrapped. The drawing costed quite a lot but I managed to still have enough left over. The shop owner neatly wrapped the drawing and boxed it for me.

 

“You certainly must love this drawing to have come back for it and wrapped it up so much.”

 

The owner said with a smile and handed me the golden box. I smiled and shook my head.

 

“It’s for someone else. She looked like she wanted it earlier.”

 

The owner raised their eyebrow at me with a teasing smile.

 

“I bet it was that girl you kept your eyes on, huh?”

 

I blushed and denied it but she just laughed it off. I bowed down in thanks and left the shop. I found the guys right back in their spot looking for me. They saw me hold the box but didn’t question it.

 

We reached our apartment by 8.30 PM. The guys relaxed on the couch or in Kyungsoo’s case, went to the kitchen to prepare dinner. I walked off into my own room and placed the box on my nightstand. My phone buzzed with a message and I saw that it was Anh Jae with the details on tonight. I momentarily forgot about the dinner with her family and went into my closet to find something decent to wear.As I got dressed, I walked out into the living room slash kitchen to tell Kyungsoo I won’t be here for dinner.

 

“Wait, what? Why?”

 

He replied, forgetting about the prep for tonight’s dinner. Even the other guys stopped to hear what’s up. I fixed my fitted dress shirt and buttoned it up before answering.

 

“I’m going out tonight.”

 

I left it at that and walked back into my room to find some nice casual shoes to complete my outfit. In the middle of putting on my watch, Chanyeol and Kai barged into my room with expressions that needed more explaining from me. I was going to answer them but we heard a loud crash from the living room.

 

The three of us ran out to see what happened and the guys were in battle stance with two masked guys. They looked pretty casual except for the fact that they were wearing half face masks and had daggers in their hand. It was like they were reflecting each other. Even their sinister smiles were a reflection.

 

They looked in my direction and their smiles grew wider than the cheshire cat’s. One of them walked closer and that’s when I noticed the symbol on their chains around their necks. They were the Notorious Twins. Rumors had it that they were born evil and took on gangster since they were kids. It also explained how they reflected each other’s movements. The twin on the right walked closer to me and spoke.

 

“I almost thought we were in the wrong place but I guess not. Kae wasn’t lying.”

 

Kae? Did he mean Kae as in one of the infamous solo gangster who were just as harsh as the Twins?! How does Kae even know me? At the mention of it, my friends looked at me in question and confusion. Believe me guys. I’m confused too.

 

Just as one of the twins were going to charge at me, someone crashed in through the window. It was another masked figure and I believe I already knew who it was. Speaking of the devil. She came waltzing in suavely and grabbed a hold onto the twins.

 

“We have no time to play with him. It’s almost time. Let’s go.”


The moment they left, the guys and me were full of different emotions. What had we just witnessed?

 

 

 

 

Hello Loves __φ(..)

Gosh, it's been a long time since I updated this fanfic.
How are you guys? I've gained a few more subbies. Thank you loves!
I've actually planned for this update to be on Valentine's Day with a whole new plot but, It guess not.
Anyways, Happy Belated Valentine's Day!

Do you loves have any questions on this story so far?
I'd be happy to answer them.

Thanks again loves, and I hope to update soon this week.
And if any of you care, my birthday is on the 23rd! I hope to update on that day too.
Maybe even get a little special chapter in there

(≧▽​° )

This is Chae signing off! See you soon ~

                                            ( . .)φ__ Bye Loves