Assurance

The Underground City

Chapter Twelve
Assurance

 

 

Baekhyun sat on the chair, jaw dropped and his whole body frozen.  I bit my lip inward, nervous of how he was going to react. I couldn't even scream at him or yell out curses because I was just done being surprised. I should've expected this anyway that very night when we slept together. We were two drunk idiots who didn't bother using protection and look at this. A little tiny human is growing inside me. And soon enough, that tiny human is going to grow until it needs to get out of me. , pregnancy is going to be a .

 

I was lost in my own thoughts when Baekhyun got up from his seat and hugged me even tighter. For a second, I was going to scold him about squeezing our child - yeah I said it - to death. His hand ran down my back soothingly, whispering that he's not going to leave me. He wasn't going to leave our baby. I let out a heavy breath, not knowing I was scared to hear if he would just brush me off like I was some random he wanted to play with. I didn't think he would stay with me. But one thing I knew for sure, the pregnancy mood swings are kicking in and I started crying like a baby whale. The vibrations of his chuckle made me push him back and whine and cry even more.

 

“Yah! Don't laugh at me you stupid buffalo.”

 

I wailed even louder that some nurses passing by came in asking if everything was alright. Baekhyun wiped the tears falling from my eyes with his thumb, looking at me with a grin.

 

“You're such a baby for a person carrying a baby.”

 

I punched his stomach and he grunted from the pain of my woman power. I crossed my arms and looked at him with a serious face, sniffing away the tears I had a less than a minute ago.

 

“About the baby.. Baekhyun, I think this was a mistake. It a huge mistake. I - We -”

 

I couldn't even finish my sentence. It was a horrible thing to say. I know it is. But it was the truth. What happened that night was a mistake. We were never supposed to do something so intimate with each other. The both of us were too lost from the consumption of alcohol in our system we didn't consider about protection.  I still can't believe I'm even pregnant! I just turned 21 and I have a developing fetus inside me. The father is not even my boyfriend, much less a friend. Instead, he's the guy who is on our most wanted enemy gang. What am I supposed to tell our baby when they grow up?? I can't tell them they weren't a mistake. Unexpected, sure, because I really did not expect this.

 

It was a miracle though. Right after I had looked Sehun in the eyes at the front of my gates, my head started to hurt. It was like someone kept shoving it into piles of concrete and getting hit by tons of blocks. It was then that I fell into the ground, unconscious, and surrounded by blood. If Luhan and Nari hadn't brought me to the hospital any later I wouldn't have found out I was pregnant neither would they have been able to save the baby. But they did. They were able to keep the fetus alive and healthy.

 

“No. It wasn't a mistake.”

 

He came forward and held my hands tightly while looking at me. His eyes were full of sincerity.

 

“I knew what I wanted that night. I just didn't think we would go that far. This was just something we didn't expect to happen, yes, But I'm willing to be beside you through all of this. I won't let you go alone. You're my responsibility whether you like it or not.”

 

The playfulness at the end was heartwarming enough to me that I couldn't even comprehend anything about this at all.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Nari was currently choking the living soul out of Baekhyun. After a few things were taken care of, that is. Everything beyond my hospital doors were explained in detail to me from the moment I out to the damaging rage my best friends have done to that EXO gang… and my used to be best friend. It was still hard for me to capture that she was actually a part of SMTOWN because she wasn't the person who seemed like she wanted to be in a gang. But neither did she for me.

 

I smiled a little when Nari practically jumped on Baekhyun’s back, holding her right arm up and shouting out what seemed like a fight call and made him charge around the room. Luhan sat beside me and watched the scene while accompanying me.

 

“I'm surprised he stayed. After knowing you only for about a month and a half, I was for sure he would be on the run his whole life.”

 

Indeed, Luhan. It suddenly reminded me of an hour before the two came in, what he explained to me of why he wanted to stay. SMTOWN had no benefit for him. All he did was deal, fight, and kill. It's pretty normal and that's what they all do. But you make connections. Friends. Blood brothers. And that's what he thought with that incompetent circle of friends he had. The only thing that kept them together was the path made by Kim Youngmin. Other than that, they were complete strangers with some common interests who knew how to act.

 

Baekhyun wanted out of that. His only real purpose was to keep someone safe. And I had a big hunch it was Eunhyun, his dear younger sister. She was with their father while Baekhyun stayed alone. From what I could remember, both parents divorced right after Eunhyun was born. When it was just Baekhyun as the only child, his father would be off somewhere working in markets while his mother… well, his mother was a drug addict, never home and if she was it would only last for a couple minutes with her grabbing something and out the door she goes. That started to happen after he turned five years old. The longest his mother had ever stayed was the nine months when she was carrying Eunhyun. I’m surprised myself that Eunhyun didn’t end up a little messed up in the head because of all the chemicals going into their mother's body. But after the pregnancy and the divorce - once everything was settled by law - his mom disappeared without a trace. Not even the federal government could find her.

 

I was dumbfounded to hear that he wanted to join The Underground City. I’m pretty sure not many of the underlings I have would approve but I can see them enjoying his company as time goes by easily. By specials orders, I could have him and his sister in the UC family in a snap, but that wouldn’t be fair. The only other way I let people in besides fighting for their lives is if I see potential in them. Like with my close unit Monsta X. It took me a long 5 years too find that they were the perfect people who had potential to fight for a purpose that meant the world to them. And I’m proud of myself for that.

 

I see something in Baekhyun that could give us invincibility. Not because he would tell us the dirty secrets SMTOWN uses - that would be dishonourable to my own blue blood who’ve raised this from the bottom core of earth - but because he has the strength and intellect that could overpower anything.

 

I look to the side where he tripped on his own feet and ended up face planting himself onto the white tiled floor of the hospital. I let out a laugh.

 

Not with his friends, anyway.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I was freaking the out. I was released within the day and had to go home. Home. Where my siblings were. Where my father is. Do you get the picture? I'm pretty sure my siblings would have been more overprotective of me than my father separately. Except for Minkyung because I know she is low-key happy about my pregnancy since she's going to be an auntie soon and there's a baby. Babies are cute. Very cute.

 

I'm just worried about Appa’s reaction. I'm the oldest. The responsible one. And I'm having a child at 21 - which is not a bad age but very young still. Baekhyun will be there with me but that's not making me any less calm.

 

“Breathe, baby. Come on, deep breaths.”

 

I snap my eyes straight into the soul eyes of his with a glare telling him not to tell me to take deep breaths. If it wasn't for the fact that he was driving us back to my home, then I would have just punched the guy in the jaw by now. I pressed on one of the side buttons to open the window and let some fresh air brush against my face. Now that's what I call relaxing.

 

“By the way, I asked Youngkyun and Juho to gather your stuff from your apartment. They brought it over to my house a few hours ago.”

 

Thankfully it was a red light when he stopped suddenly and whipped his head around giving me a confused expression.

 

“Who? And what?”

 

“Youngkyun and Juho? A couple of my underlings? Get with the program. They're from one of the newer formed units, SF9. Since you're out of that crap dump of a place I figured you would want your stuff from the apartment? Unless you don't, I can just burn it all.”


My nonchalant reply made him seem hesitant on something but he didn't voice it out and continued driving. The whole ride home consisted of me playing Aura while Baekhyun listened to music by some people named Jay Park and Okasian. When we got home, I started to get more antsy again exiting the car. The sun was already setting and I could see the lights in the living room. Fidgeting while wait for Baekhyun to hurry his up beside me, I could see my siblings gathered through the window looking straight at me with a blank expression. My father was nowhere in sight and I mentally let out a breath at that.

Baekhyun grabbed my hand swiftly into ease. I glanced up to his face seeing a small smile with full sincerity in his eyes. I took in a huge breath just like he had said earlier in the car. IT was time to tell them the news before anything could get worse. I shouldn’t doubt myself right now. I’m strong. I mean come on. What’s the worst that they can do?

But I sat there, on the couch, underestimating my siblings, 

Minkyung had ran to the kitchen the moment the words “I’m pregnant” left my mouth. WE were confused for a second before she came back out with a knife in her hand along with mini kunai in her other hand. Her expression as something I didn’t expect at all since I thought she would be happy about something like – although I do understand how she would be murderous right now. But that wasn’t the worst of it either. Hyungjae and Myungjae were on a.. silent rampage? The twins sat in their seat, still to the bone with a blank face as if they were born with no emotions at all. I really can’t read them at all. Especially when they both had on a bitter smile looking at Baekhyun. In a flash, the two were right behind him with guns pointed to his head and back. I immediately got up and tried to move their arms away from him but Minkyung held me back with the hand full of kunai. She also pointed the sharpened knife to his face, barely touching his eye.

“I said you could be her boyfriend. Not impregnate her and become a baby daddy.”

“I – I didn’t mean t-“

“Do not tell me you didn’t mean to when you were the one who had unprotected with her!”

That definitely shut his mouth because he couldn’t say anything because that was the truth. I pleaded to the twins to stop what they were doing and we could settle this in a way that doesn’t involve harming each other. They ignored me and continued to stick the guns onto his body even firmer.

“Hyung, we like you. We really do. But you don’t go ing with our sister and coming to us the second time telling us you guys are having a baby together. No, no, no.”

Myungjae wagged his finger and leaning down to look him in the eye. When they both made eye contact I could see him shiver from the deep look into his soul. After all, he was facing one of the Notorious Twins. I didn’t know what they were going to do. I was a tiny bit afraid of what they would do. But I started to get worried over the wellbeing of him in general.

Thankfully, the door opened and in came our father. One step into the living room and he froze, hat in hand and overcoat in the other. His eyebrows were scrunched together in a manner that told everyone he obviously wasn’t happy with scene in front of him. As fast as the speed of light, my siblings backed away and pocketed their weapons and sat down, not facing the man.

A barely audible sigh escaped my old man’s lips before he resumed action into setting his items onto the rack. HE didn’t bat an eyelash at us the whole time doing so, not once. As he made his way to the stair steps, he gestured his hand to make their way over.

“Come on, Byun. We need to talk.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“You can’t just do that!”

“And you can’t just expect us to be calm about that kind of news, Noona! Do you really think that we would cheer and say ‘Congratulations on having a baby’?!”

They had a point but I still didn’t expect them to pull out weapons. Even for a bunch of gangsters, we’re not that careless to pull those types of items out.

“Of course not! I just.. All I need right now is your guys’ support. I know this situation isn’t my best one yet but that’s not important right now. Baekhyun and I have already talked it out and he’s not going to leave me. He’s not going to make me a single mother and definitely not a baby daddy on the run.”

“But he still the baby daddy.”

“Oh my god, Minkyung, no. Stop. Baekhyun is staying. He’s going to take care of our child together. He said so himself!”

My little sister only stared at me with no other reaction than bitterness. Hyungjae and Myungjae have already cooled down by now and are now just watching the exchange between me and my sister. Noy knowing for sure but they already accepted the fact that I had a growing fetus inside me. Plus, they know it’s not right to mess with my mood enough since pregnancy apparently makes emotions more sensitive. And Minkyung doesn’t see that it’s already making me break down.

“I’m just worried like I should be, Unnie! And disappointed. You let yourself go and become one the irresponsible ones. Do you realize you have a worldwide known gang to run with over thousands of people?! Do you realize that you’re getting us fall weaker top those other outside impudent and incompetent gangs? Not to mention that the father of that child in your body right now is from one of those gangs? Huh? Are you even thinking or are you starting to just get bored and play with this business? Someone like you shouldn’t even be here if that’s what you’re doing!”

I broke down the moment she finished her speech about me being irresponsible and a disappointment to her. Am I really that pathetic to her now? I didn’t realize that the twins had started causing a fight with her because I was too busy hyperventilating and trying to catch a breath. MY head started to become dizzy and a blur everywhere I looked. I saw a blurred figure of Hyungjae by my side helping me to calm down and breathe. His voice was faint but I tried my best to keep my breathing steady and eyes open. A new voice appeared by my side and I couldn’t explain how I felt at that moment. My heart was beating faster, in a sort of good way? But his presence kept me steady and soon enough I was able to breathe back to normal.

My father’s deep voice roared through the living room demanding for an explanation for what just happened. The look on his face wasn’t pleased and he was furious. Hyungjae pushed Minkyung to him before walking over to see if I was alright himself. Minkyung held her head down, not daring to look him in the eye. The fire in his eyes was the only thing I needed to know that Minkyung was in for a big argument. I felt guilty. It was my fault.

An hour or two later, We were all sitting on the sofa of our living room. Myungjae went to get me a glass of water every few times within the time. Hyungjae was in the kitchen cooking dinner for everyone. Baekhyun was right next to me under the blankets and leaning his head on my shoulder while we distracted ourselves. The TV was on and a marathon of Superstore was playing. Normally I would be laughing since I absolutely love this show but with the constant and clear shouting from upstairs was not helping. Every time I heard my name being mentioned, I would flinch and the boy next to me would squeeze my hand to reassure me everything was going to all fine and normal soon enough.

Surely enough, it did help me ease up a bit.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Baekhyun’s POV

 

I stretched my arms up and let out a yawn when the last episode of Superstore had ended and some random TV series had auto played itself in. I turned to my right and saw that Anhjae had been asleep for a while now. Her neck was bent at an uncomfortable angle because I had been resting on her shoulder. I don’t know what muscle in me made me do it but I pulled her head gently onto my lap as a pillow for her.

I felt guilty to the bone. Her family quarrel was because of my actions and I don’t know what to do and how to fix. When Mr. Park called me over into his private study upstairs – it feels like I’m coming in here more than I should – he told me how he already knew about the results from the hospital doctors. Of course. They should tell him first since he is her father. Not to mention that they frequent the place and actually own the hospital chain.

I waited for the punch to my face, or gut, or even the threat of ripping my off and some other awful things that would happen to me. But it never came. He sat in his chair, hand crossed, calm and composed as he usually is. I expect him to freak out and kill me on the spot for touching his daughter in a manner that I shouldn’t have. He knew I was in SMTOWN by that time and he could’ve killed me. But he wasn’t. He didn’t. Didn’t he care about his precious daughter and her wellbeing?

“It’s something I’m disappointed in the both of you, but I can’t stop it. All I can do now is trust that you will take of my daughter and your child together. Or else I will act, Byun Baekhyun. And we both know that no one wants me to have to make the final lead on this”

It didn’t seem to mean anything much if someone had said it so casually. But Mr.Park, he said it so tranquil and quiet that I was bound to be afraid for the rest of my life living in fear of what he would do. What his ‘final action’ would be. I could only comply and prove myself that I will take care of her. I said so myself I would anyway whether Anhjae wanted it or not. 

In all honesty, I’m afraid. There was that split-second I thought when I saw the papers of leaving her and running away from all this. But I would be lower than any loathed scum on the very core of earth. Running away was something I hated the most, particularly running away from family. And that child inside her is my family, my own DNA mixed. Besides, even if I did run away, I’d have to fight off millions of gangsters to get out of the country. The Underground City is worldwide and I’d always be watched. I couldn’t go anywhere. So the moment I thought of it, I regret it.

“Is she asleep?”

Looking up, the view of Minkyung standing with her arms crossed and a solemn expression plastered was something I didn’t expect to see after what happened just a few hours ago. She sat one the opposite sofa and stared at me with laser eyes. It’s like I was being profiled all over again when I went to train to be under EXO.

“I’m sorry.”

My lips thinned inward and I only rose an eyebrow to question her.

“I’m sorry for pointing those knives at you and saying all those rude words to you and Unnie. I was just being protective of her and I couldn’t believe this situation in the first place.”

I shook my head, telling her that I understood how she felt. Seeing a guy from a rival gang with your sister that just got knocked up wasn’t supposed to be full of happiness. I knew there would be some sort of fight, but not like this.

“I hope you would support us. Especially Anhjae. Having a baby and juggling with putting my sister and I into the gang is all too overwhelming I assume.”

I didn’t focus on what I was saying since I was admiring the peaceful face of the girl on my lap. My attention was divided from that when Minkyung asked me with a surprised tone that I was joining this crowd. I nodded but didn’t say anything more even though she bombarded me with questions. There was no rule or any message about telling other people that I would be joining The Underground City but I thought it was nice to keep quiet about it and wait for everyone else to find at the right time.

After a rush of unanswered questions being thrown at my face, she quietened down and looked at me with a small smile, the same one I m=saw when I met her at the jazz club down here before.

“I guess, welcome to the family, Baekhyun Oppa.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Because there was too much on Anhjae’s plate already revolving around her being a leader, she thought it was a good time to delist herself from school. With the assistance of Narae and I (I felt weird calling her Narae), we went to the university’s registrar. It was a while’s worth of processing but when it was final done and complete, the freedom never felt so good before. On our way out, we met something unexpected. Very unexpected.

Down the hallway from where we were, was Sehun and Xin, Anhjae and I’s used to be best friends. If I felt nauseous just looking at Sehun himself, I don’t know how Anhjae felt about that Xin girl. I never knew her much either. She had only begun a few years ago in SMTOWN and always followed the rules of her sunbaes that were more on an S level gang. Especially the girl gang called SNSD. She was like their number one stalker and a rat to them, always making her do this and that. At one point, I felt bad but not anymore after finding about what she does to make friends and a social life.

The most horrifying thing I saw after was Sehun kissing the said girl on the cheek. And the girl was blushing at the action fo the said boy. I could puke any time soon if I wanted. Maybe on their faces perhaps?

Anhjae obviously noticed them and was frozen like a statue. Her eyes were wide when Sehun kissed Xin and – I know, honey – she probably felt like that was the most disgusting thing she’s ever seen in her life. A short second after though, she composed herself and stood proud and tall like a queen. The sudden change in her attitude was unknown but I’m glad she isn’t feeling depressed about it.

Narae on the other hand was biting her fist to prevent herself form screaming at the two. She even locked herself with Anhjae’s arm in case she ran to them. I don’t know what she had against them but I’m guessing since it’s the code of best friends, if one hate someone than they will hate them too.

“We should go the other way.”

I gestured the both of them to the opposite direction but they didn’t move. Narae rolled her eyes and said that she’s not going to avoid this and that the exit is right behind them so she’s not going to going to be a wimp about it. Her best friend didn’t say anything but continued on to stare as if she was contemplating whether what choice is right to do or not.

A sudden smirk fell upon her face and I was kind of.. confused? That smirk was a mix of evil and.. well, evil. She turned to us and said that we should just walk ahead anyway. They weren’t our business and we’re not theirs. But Au contraire, madame. In fact, we are their business since you literally almost got killed by them a few days ago? Not to mention that Narae may or may not have punched Sehun in the face several times?? Okay, maybe not several but a lot. (We decide not to tell this tiny detail part to Anhjae because she doesn’t need to know).

And despite all the protests I had made in my head, I willingly followed because the two girls were already up ahead by a few steps. The closer we got to them felt like a ticking bomb. I don’t know what was going to happen but I’m man enough to stick through with it now. I’m one of the best fighters when I was in SMTOWN. And now I’m beside the leader of the most merciless gang worldwide and.. well I’m not sure what this tech geek could do in this situation but she’s strong I guess.

Since Sehun was on the side near the wall, that meant Xin was in the middle, the same side Anhjae was in. I thought we were going to pass them safely, not communication at all but when Xin harshly shoved her shoulder into Anhjae’s to the point she almost collapsed on to the floor. I was able to grab her on time and about to push that girl and ask what’s her problem but Sehun blocked my way. We shared an intense stare that we both knew all too well.

Sehun broke the stare first, wrapping his arm around Xin’s waist with a quiet ‘let’s go, babe’. We heard it perfectly well and I was speechless when Anhjae spoke.

“I guess falling in love with a girl wasn’t enough for you so you decided to date her ex-best friend., huh? “

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Hello Loves

After like, a billion years ( half ) years I finally updated!! Whoo ~
I've gained a couple subbies during my little hiatus
you guys are so cool <3 I love you guys, honest to god.

I hope all of you enjoyed this chapter even though it's a bit shorter than some other chapters.
I promise to keep updating frqeuently but I'm not sure with school going on.
Thanks for all the love and support!

P.S To all my ALO readers, I'll update that soon enough, and it'll be worht it!

Bye Loves