Dead

The Underground City

My chest started to hurt and my throat was dehydrated as I walked down the hall.  My vision started to become hazy the more I pushed myself further into my next class. I couldn't take it anymore so I suddenly fell to the ground, back on the hard cold floor. Many gasps and yells were heard all around. I tried to focus on a main voice but it became harder to listen as I was slowly becoming unconscious. The last thing my eyes saw was Xin’s worried eyes and a familiar pair of hands pick my body up.

 

Cho Anh Jae. She was a little girl who had a wonderful and fulfilled happy family. There were ups and downs between the siblings, between the mother and father, but there was still the love held within. Father and mother were so young in love. I was only 4 years old at the time and I never understood the meaning behind everyone’s words of calling my mother a . Whenever my father was with us, all the people had been so nice and kind. They welcomed my mother with warm hugs and smiles. When father was out for business, they turned 180 degrees. The woman called her incoherent names while the men tried to always touch her. The look on my mother's face was depressing. I only ever see her like this whenever we go out in public.

 

I asked from time to time why they would say words that made her unhappy. The result was always the same. She smiled while patting her hands on her apron. Kneeling down to my short height and patting my hair, she said the same exact words I always hear.

 

“They mean nothing to me, sweetie.”

 

At the time, I believe what my mother had said. I took her words seriously. If they meant nothing, it shouldn't bother me. So I smiled back and ran happily back to play with my siblings.

 

But it never stopped. The hateful words never stopped coming towards her. She started to smile less, she started arguing with my father more. I couldn't take it. My siblings couldn't take it. Every night, there’d be yelling and crying. Sometimes even just silence. But that didn't mean it was calm. There were days I didn't see my father, and days they were both gone. The only thing I was thankful for was that my father didn't drink his problems away. He wasn’t one of those men. I was delighted to see my mother act normal again. But there was something different. She looked distant and somewhere else.. I didn't think much of it because I didn’t understand the adult life.

 

Mother was someone special to me, I cherished her so much and loved all my life to her. She was my best friend. And I lost her. I lost the most important person in my life.

 

I hate them. I hate the women who made my mother feel like a . I hate the women who made her feel as if she was no good just because she was born beautiful. I hate the men who always tried to get with my mother even though she specifically threatened them. I hate the men who killed her. I detest all things above that include my mother’s being. Every one of those selfish nobodies took away a part of my life that was once happy. Another piece of my puzzle is missing.

 

I watched in fear when my mother was stabbed in the heart many times. Her face full of tears and screams. I gripped onto the handles tightly until my knuckles went beyond pale. My eyes brimmed with tears and I wanted to scream so bad. But I couldn’t. I didn’t want the rest of my family to be found and killed.

 

The tears I shed silently blurred the scene in front of me. I couldn’t take it anymore. I couldn’t. Her screams still run through my ears every night. The look of guilt and love she sent before her last breath, her last heartbeat. There’s nothing more hurtful than remembering and seeing these memories that fade to only come back and haunt you. I tried to run away from all of this before and it ended up in failure. What it would have been like if none of this happened.

 

My eyes fluttered open slowly to take in the brightness above me. All around was dressed in white. I knew I wasn’t in the hospital because it’d look much more different than here. So I assumed the nurse’s office in the university. I slowly got up when a hand pushed me back down gently. I looked to the side and see someone I didn’t really expect. But I mean, how could I not when the person himself said he would watch over me as protection? I just didn’t think he was serious. I’m just someone who isn’t worth their while.

 

 

He frowned a little and even crossed his arms. Yeah, he seemed to be a little pissed about the fact that I got hurt. But why is the question. I sheepishly smiled and looked to the other side. But then I remembered that I fainted to get into this mess. Before I could even ask, the curtain was moved to the side and the University’s nurse came in with a clipboard in her hands. She gave a bright toothy smile and came close to me. I recognize her face. But I just don't remember where.

 

“Glad to see you're awake, Ms. Park. You fainted from symptoms of allergies. It's odd though because we couldn't identify what the cause was of your allergies.”

 

Allergies? No, that’s impossible. I couldn’t have been near any roses for sure. I mean, I would know to make sure I stay away from them. I told her that it wasn’t possible but she confirmed it as I consumed a part of it into my body. That was unlikely too. My breakfast was for sure nothing near flowers, and my lunch… No, it didn’t seem like. But that was the last thing I ate before I fainted. The last thing I did as well! Does Baekhyun know about my allergy? I’m pretty sure he doesn’t because no one really knows. It’s not like I’ll swell up or anything. I just faint but if the scent is too strong, I could die. The effects work differently.

 

I clearly wasn’t interested in the rest of what the nurse had to say. Sehun didn’t bother to speak to me for some odd reason. He whispered something to the nurse and she nodded excitedly. He left right after and it was all then silent between the nurse and I. Just as I was about to say I would take my leave as well, she turned to me with a completely different vibe and look. She scoffed and her eyes pierced straight into me.

 

“I don’t get what he sees in a useless little girl like you. What’s the point of EXO protecting you, anyway?”

 

She leaned forward, right into my face. I felt like I was the victim in those animes where the bully would place their palm behind on the wall and look mean. Only, she has her palm on the nursing bed. Her voice went from a cheery cute to a violent gangster which is a coincidence. She’s Kwon Yuri from the building next door in SMTOWN. No wonder she looked familiar.

 

I heard she is in a group with seven other girls and is the best fighter in the group. She seemed to lack physical strength but it’s hard to tell. She’s probably hiding some good muscles under her lab coat. I don’t hear much other than she beats a couple other guys from another group called Super Junior when they misbehave.

 

“You’re really a burden to everyone in SM. Why don’t you just leave? We don’t need and insult on our name. You’re lucky you are even still alive from your allergy.”

 

She huffed and walked right out of my area. I blinked at the space Yuri was just in and scoffed myself. What, just because she’s in SM doesn’t mean she can put down others. It’s not like they have even been up against a real fighter. I bet that chick would only last a second once a real war goes on. Hopefully I don’t have to cross paths with her anytime soon or anytime at all.

 

Not wanting to risk my statement before, I grabbed all my belongings and climbed through the window which, thankfully, was still on the first floor. I easily hopped onto the ground and went straight towards the gate. If I made it on time, I could have a one on one talk with that Byun kid. Ugh, how I hate to see his face once again.

 

 


 

I made it to the four paths but I felt like I needed to go into the Underground City just for a second to see what’s going on. I haven’t much about them lately and neither have I kept up on tabs with their business. I looked around to see if anyone was around me or in eyeshot so I swiftly moved through making it look like I went in the SMTOWN path when I quickly squatted and went to the Underground City. The path was chilly and it made me shiver. And I wasn’t talking about temperature wise. The path down was silent and darker than usual. There would always be at least some sort of noise but no, there was none at all. What happened? I dropped by yesterday and it seemed to be pretty lively.

 

Once I made it to the main entrance of the path, the area seemed a little.. Gloomier. The lights of businesses were more or less turned off and there was barely anyone around. Probably none at all! Each step I took down the streets gave me an unpleasant feeling. I reached a local street where houses were. Some house lights were still on but no one was there in the exact spot. I headed towards a specific house I knew on this particular street. Her house, or more like mansion, was brightly lit in fire and I definitely saw people. Probably another one of her parties she holds.

 

Music became louder the closer I got and right when I opened the door, I was hit with a heat and sound wave. People squished up against each other and dancing to the music courtesy of the DJ. I made my way through the crowd, most of these people greeting me because I am their leader of course. I finally got all the way to the back of the dance crowd which is the kitchen. There was barely anyone around and those who were in here are just hanging out in a mellow crowd.

 

Right smack in the middle was the person I was looking for. She was surrounded by many men who offered drinks but refused as she was busy being bored to death. She spotted me when her head turned away from a guy who tried to get closer to her and waved enthusiastically. I smiled and suavely walked my way to her making all the men turn to look at me instead of her. We hugged each other and sat back down for some small talk and business.

 

“Rare to see our lovely leader down and out in the open. Got caught already?”

 

She playfully smiled and nudged my arms. I pushed her back with a smile of my own. It was rare to see me down out in the open without anyone surrounding me. But no one was around when I got here so I might as well find the answer out now.

 

“The streets were empty, Nari. What’s up with that?”

 

Yeh, you guys read it right. This person beside me is Cho Nari. Her birth name is Narae but Nari was a shorter name for her. So we all know her all Cho Nari, the tech geek of the Underground City. She’s everyone’s source to non personal interaction. If Xin is my normal best friend up in the city, this is my gangster best friend down in the UC.

 

She looked at me with confusion in her eyes and sadness as well.

 

“AJ.. Today’s your mother and father’s anniversary.”

 

My heart dropped heavily and the smile on face earlier turned gloomy. How could I even forget what today was? There’s no excuse to ever skip this moment ever. I know it isn’t supposed to be me included since it’s both my parent anniversary but I don’t think my father could handle it alone like all the past years. It’s even worse when her death anniversary comes a month after. Having to cope with one thing right before another dreadful thing is just hard to do.

 

Nari quickly noticed my expression and brought me to the outdoor area which was surprisingly empty and quiet. We sat next to the pool with silence to surround us. Unlike Xin who always tried to pry me let everything out, Nari was patient and allowed me to be ready to explain or not at all.

 

I decided not to because it would bring my mood down so I asked how she’s been so far and vice versa. I told her about what happened today and she seemed to be really interested with Baekhyun.

 

“Yah, I bet he has the hots for you. I mean, he doesn’t like you but he brought you out to lunch. And he’s not spilling anything out even though he knows who you actually are. Well, the basics at most.”

 

I glared at her and smacked her arm with full force. She winced and rubbed the said spot.

 

“Which is even more confusing. He doesn’t know my allergy, Nari. And I was nothing near roses.”

 

I was a little angry over the fact for this because allergies do not just happen out of nowhere. I can’t have myself fainting at random moments. I could possibly die by the end.

 

“What did you have for lunch?”

 

I stared at my best friend but she was serious so I told her. She seemed to be in deep thought before turning to me and making myself jaw dropped in disbelief. If Nari wasn’t a Technology geek, she would be the Food Master.

 

“The lassi you drank could have been a sweet flavored one which is usually combined with rosewater. And from what you told me, this restaurant must have made their own rosewater containing real rose petal.”

 

I wanted to bang my head against the pool side for not even thinking of something like that. Where is my knowledge in food when I need it. I told her the rest of my day and when I mentioned Kwon Yuri, she seemed to pique interest once again. Does she just get interested in every person I mention?

 

“Ha, that Kwon Yuri never changes. She’s such a gang hopper, it’s annoying.”

 

“Gang hopper?”

 

I never knew Nari actually knew this girl. Did they have some history together?

 

“It’s like the term ‘Homie Hopper’ but this is specifically for gangs. She’s in the SM group right? It no secret she likes one guy from another either in the same group or any guy in SMTOWN. She just hops from one guy to another every other week. Basically like a hoe but it’s a sugar coated term.”

 

Hohoo~ No wonder she seemed pretty defensive of Sehun earlier. I bet she wouldn’t care in a couple days anyway. So I shouldn’t be so worried and bothered over her. She’s a useless link.

 

 


 

I totally forgot that Nari’s house was located in between the city of Seoul and the Underground City. So I didn’t have to seem suspicious when I come out of the fourth path and go into the third. I knew I was most likely on watch from the SMTOWN gangs. I made it look like it was a normal thing to do to come back to the apartments around 2AM but just as I was already at the door to my building, soft hands grabbed my wrists. Ugh, can today be normal for once? This is starting to piss me off.

 

I should already know who it was well by now. Who is the only person that bothers to interact with me in this gang community? And the only one who is brave enough to fetch me out at random times in a day. Baekhyun had his silver lettered mask on along with a black hoodie and black rimmed glasses accompanying him. Albeit his appearance seemed casual, something was wrong.

 

He didn’t say a word like he usually did and just looked at me, his eyes looking like they were trying to focus on one of my eyes to the other. I tilted my head in confusion and before I knew it, he brought our bodies closer. I blushed slightly at the action but definitely knew something was wrong. I mean, this is Baekhyun we’re talking about. He doesn’t do this.

 

A few voices were yelling out faintly and it sounded like they were calling out for him. But he didn’t respond and only kept staring at me, into my eyes. The skin around the top of his cheeks were pink. His eyes became droopy but still in contact with mine. If my hypothesis was correct, I honestly don’t know what I would do. With trembling hands, I placed them on the very thread of his mask and slowly pulled it down. Just as I thought, his face was a little red and his breath reeked of alcohol.

 

I left his mask under his face and tried to get a hold of his cheeks into my palms. I lightly tapped them to make sure he was still somewhat sane and “awake”. He still looked the same so I stepped away to put some distance on us but he only grabbed me by my waist and closed the distance between us even more until our bodies were touching and firmly pressed against each other. I blushed profusely and even tried to punch his gut but I thought twice on that. I don’t want him puking on me. So I aimed for his head.

 

He dodged my throw however, and I was surprised on what he did next. His face came closer to mine and our noses barely touched. Was he going to kiss me?! I saw from the corner of my eyes his own gang right there, breathing hard and panting. Sehun was right in the middle behind everyone and I wanted him to help but he too was panting. One of them, if I remember, his name was Suho, despite breathing hard he walked over to grab Baekhyun but that’s when all movement stopped. Everyone’s eyes widen upon what Baekhyun had just did to me and even I was shocked for a second. I shouldn’t have thought of it. Now it happened.

 

Byun Baekhyun, you are so ing dead.