Chapter 7

You turned up the love in my heart

“Do you want to hear a snippet of it?” Gary said in his soft voice.

“Can I?” jihyo answered shyly.

“Your hair is tied back, so I can see your forehead,

 It bounces every time you walk,

At the end of your pants that wrapped around your smooth legs are light sneakers,

Everything about you is simple,

But you give off beauty,” Gary started rapping.

Jihyo on the other end of the phone was exploding with happiness. In her life, she had never heard of a man singing to her like he was doing now. His soft voice when he rapped melted her heart. She was like a fan girl at her favourite artist’s concert and wanted to scream, jump up and down but her leg in bandage didn’t give her a chance.

Suddenly, gary stopped rapping.

“Oppa, why did you stop? It is great. Please I want to hear more!” jihyo said.

“Well, this is for today. I already said I will sing only a snippet of this song,” gary said jokingly.

“But there is no such thing like that oppa. How could you left your fan by singing only the half of the song!” jihyo sulked.

“So you are a fan of mine? If you want to hear a full version, then keep yourself healthy and get well soon!” gary said. “No, I am neither going to take care of myself nor get well soon. Unless you sing me the song, I won’t ever contact you again. I am hanging up now,” jihyo said.

But then, “Jihyo-a, you had just discharged from the hospital today. Just rest well and sleep tonight. I will sing the next part tomorrow to you,” Gary convinced her. “Promise?” jihyo said. “Yes, promise. Take care and good night sleeping beauty,” gary said in a lovely voice. “Good night too, oppa,” she hanged up.

Gary then looked at the photo of jihyo taken when she was sleeping soundly in his car which was set as the wallpaper of his phone. “I think I am in love with you jihyo-a,” gary whispered and went to bed.


“Sleeping beauty? And is that the song written for me? The girl in his song really matches with my style,” jihyo wondered. “Ya, it’s just a song and how can it be for you?  Stop going into dreamlands too much,” she scolded herself.

“But what if it is about me and later he confessed? Ooohhhh, what should I do?” jihyo said blushing away like a red tomato and covered her face with the blanket. That night she couldn’t fall asleep easily that night because she was overloaded with joy.


The next day, gary as promised sang the song to her through phone call. Jihyo was lying on the bed, closing her eyes and enjoying the song. But the phone call didn’t end even after the romantic live performance. They talked about how they were doing and jihyo talked how she got into an accident and gary would tell how his tiring his work these days.

They laughed and teased each other and their smiles didn’t fade away even a second during their conversation until they realized that it was already midnight. But a single goodbye was difficult for both of them to say.

“Oppa, I will hang up now. I think I had taken too much time from you. I am sorry you must be so tired after all day of working,” jihyo said sadly. “No, jihyo-a, all my tiredness were gone after hearing your voice and laughs,” Gary replied still in his dreamland.

“I am sorry what did you just say oppa? Oppa? Oppa!” jihyo asked him. Gary was drawn back to reality by jihyo’s voice.

“Oh, I mean, it is good to have a friend and a sister like you so that I can open up everything whenever I feel left out,” gary said.

“Awwn, I am also glad to have a close friend like you too, oppa,” jihyo replied and hanged up.


After a few more days, jihyo’s injury got better and she could finally remove her bandage around her leg. Jihyo went back to work as soon as she fully recovered since the project she was doing was delayed because her accident. While jihyo was busy with her new project to be able to present it on time, gary was also in the midst of producing the new album for the new artist of their company. They couldn’t find time to meet up at the café like usual but they did try to sneak out a time to send messages.


Jihyo’s office, 5:00 pm,

“Finally it is done,” jihyo said, “Honey-ya, I will get going first then. You did a great job too. Fighting,” jihyo said giving a wink to her assistant and left the office.

Jihyo was on her way home and she drove pass the café she usually went. Jihyo immediately stop the car at the side. “Gary-oppa said his studio was located in the street beside the café. Should I pay a visit to him? Well, it happened to be on the way I am going, so, I will go and give the invitation card to my new project’s show,” jihyo said to herself. She then parked her car at the safe zone and walked into the street.


Gary was about to send a message to jihyo when his phone rang. “Hello, gary oppa, where is your studio? I am in the street where it was but can’t remember the actual location of it,” jihyo said. “My studio?” gary was puzzled, “where are you now? I will come to you.” “I am now in the alley and I could see the night view of Seoul from above here and there is also a lamp-post,” jihyo said.

“Just wait there for a minute, jihyo-a, I am coming now,” gary said while grabbing his jacket from the sofa and ran towards the door.

“Ya! Where are you going?” gil shouted but gary had already left the studio.

The cold wind was blowing and every touch of it made jihyo shiver. She was standing under the lamp-post placing her hands in her coat’s pocket in order to keep them warm. “Why is it so cold tonight?” she said while looking at the Seoul’s night view.

She then turned her head towards the street and saw a man running towards the alley where she was.

“Gary oppa!” she shouted waving her hand to let him know where she was.

“Jihyo-a, what are you doing here?” gary asked breathlessly.

“I was on my home and then I remembered that your studio was around here, so, I came to give you the invitation to my fashion show. Why? You are not happy to see me?” jihyo said.

“No, it is just that I am very surprised to see you. How long have you been waiting here in this cold weather alone?” Gary was worried and put his jacked around her. Jihyo was embarrassed by his action.

When she lifted her head slowly to face him, their eyes met. The time stopped. They were looking deeply into each other eyes. Gary then slowly moved his face toward jihyo. Their faces just inches apart. They could feel each other breath. Gary moved closer and ………………………………..