Chapter 10

You turned up the love in my heart

“Wait me here. I will go buy some snacks,” gary said and rushed to the snack shop.

Jihyo sat at a bench and waited for him. It was 7 o’clock at night and they were at the cinema as they promised to meet up there.

Jihyo took out her phone and looked at the reflection of herself in the mirror from her phone back casing.

“I think I should apply a little bit of lipstick,” she then lighted her lips with a pink gloss lipstick. While she was doing so, gary came back with snacks in his hands. She quickly put her phone and lipstick back into her bag, stood up and helped him to carry some snacks.

“Shall we go now? The movie is about to start,” gary said and both went into the cinema hall. The movie had already started as soon as they arrived.

“I say seeing those many people in the cinema hall seems like the movie must be really famous except there is none in our row,” jihyo said. It will be really strange and will lead curiosity to someone when he or she sees the rows were all full with many people but there is no one to be seen in his or her row. Let just suppose that this romantic circumstance was created by a cupid for them to enjoy the movie just the two of them.

Jihyo was really absorbed into the movie. She didn’t even take away her eyes an inch from the movie and at the same time eating the popcorns. She was really immersed in the movie that she didn’t even have time to notice someone staring at her quite a long time. 

Gary was not really interested in the movie but he was watching jihyo’s every action. She would shut her eyes and would control herself hardly from screaming when the frightening scences appear. (Here, our running man ace is a soft hearted girl who is afraid of ghosts.)

With the movie light falling on her face though her face could not clearly be seen, gary couldn’t take his eyes off from her and was again falling in love with her beauty and her cute acts. I really feel bad for the popcorns in his hand that they were not even touched nor eaten. Lonely popcorns…

There was a moment when gary stretched out his right hand to put it around jihyo’s shoulder like in movie and drama we have seen. I think we are all familiar with this scence. But before he could react, his eyes widened and he was surprised to see himself hugged by jihyo whose two hands were wrapped around his shoulder and her head close to his chest.

“Oppa, that ghost,…, it is so scary, please tell me when it is gone,” she said with her eyes close still hugging gary. She herself unknowingly hugged gary and didn’t realize that the popcorns in her hands lost hold from her and dropped and ended up being scattered on the floor.

Gary was in a daze. His mind difficult to perceive the act by jihyo whether it is a dream or it is real. He then slowly put his right hand on her back and hugged her. “No, it is still there,” he said smile spreading on his face. Though the appearance of the ghost scence had over, the hug hadn’t over yet. Gary was now just wanted to stop the time and enjoy this moment.

He could feel his heart twitching and couldn’t control itself from beating too fast. “Oppa, have the ghost gone?” jihyo asked. After a minute of staying in his embrace, she started to wonder why it hadn’t disappeared yet.

When she was about to break the hug of her hands that were wrapped around gary’s shoulder and free herself from his embrace, gary tightened the hug by pulling her closer to him. He then closed his eyes and pressed his nose against her hair taking a deep breath of the sweet smell of her shampoo.

He then leaned down a little in search of her ear and whispered softly into her ear.

“I love you, song ji hyo.”

Upon hearing this, jihyo could feel her heart about to stop beating but it worked even faster after a few seconds. She didn’t say a word nor break the hug. She was in mong state in his embrace. After a while, she moved herself tardily from him and sat herself straight back at her seat.

“Oh my popcorns,” she said when she could sense the cracking sound made by her high heels when they stepped on the popcorns that were scattering on the floor. “You can share with me,” gary said. Jihyo blushed and kept quiet the whole time. The words “I love you, song ji hyo” were echoing several times in her ears.

Gary on the other hand was cheerful as if he had won in a battle. He was also proud of himself because he finally confessed to her after all sorts of thinking and after he had found his courage. But as well as he was also afraid that she may reject and their friendship will end.

 He was expecting to hear at least a word from her but she didn’t either speak to him or look at him. This made him start to feel uncomfortable and nervous and he decided to wait till the movie end and also made up his mind to accept any answers from jihyo.


Now both were walking towards the outside of the building after the movie ended. But no words were spoken between them and the atmosphere was becoming colder and awkward. Gary couldn’t hold it anymore and broke the cold atmosphere by saying,

“Jihyo-a, the words I said in the cinema were all from my heart. I want to know what your answer will be but I don’t force you to answer it right away. At least just tell me this won’t end our friendship. I am sorry if I make you uneasy. I love you, jihyo-a.”

They were now outside of the building and the wind was so cold but the words from gary made jihyo warmed. After a few minutes of silence, jihyo asked. “Are you sincere oppa?”

“Yes, I am. I really am. I say I love you because my heart beats only for you,” gary answered.

Jihyo’s eyes gleamed like a diamond as if she had been waiting for the confession from him for a long time. Yes, truly she was. She could feel like bees buzzing around in her chest.

“I also…,” but before she could finish, both heard the car honking behind them. Jihyo turned her head to where the car honk comes, and there he was, dong wook who was now already coming out of the car.

“What a coincidence to meet you both here! Are you going back home now? Let’s go with me then, I also have been invited to your home by uncle,” dong wook said.

“Okay, umm, will you wait me here for a while? I am going to the restroom,” she said and took a quick glance to gary and went into the building again.

Now both men were left alone.

“I will ask you directly. Do you like jihyo?” dong wook said giving an eagle stare to gary.

“I think it will be more accurate if you asked love her not like. And if my answer is yes to your question, then what will your response be?” gary asked crossly.

“I am sorry if I made a mistake in my question,” but he really didn’t mean it, “I also love her and my response is just to remind you to stay away from her.”

“Who are you to remind me to stay away from her?” gary slightly raised his voice, “she is not your girlfriend and I have my rights to fight for her love too. Talk like a man.”

There was a silence. Finally dong wook spoke up. “Look at her. She is too pure and too innocent, isn’t she?” he said looking at the direction where jihyo was coming to them.

“Oppa, I will call you,  Bye oppa,” she said when she arrived and bid goodbye with a blush on her cheek and went into dong wook’s car first.

Before dong wook went into the driver seat, he turned to gary.

 “Do you think a clubbing man like you can make her happy? Think like a man,” he said in a low voice with a smile filled with evilness and left.

 “I really don’t like this man,” gary clenched his fist and muttered to himself.