Chapter 6

You turned up the love in my heart

The next Monday morning, Gary was at the coffee shop as usual waiting for Jihyo. It was already 10pm but still no figure of jihyo stepped in. Gary was about to call jihyo but he was afraid that jihyo might think he was waiting for her every Monday instead of being there to get inspirations on songs and would not contact him again and the another thing was that he thought she might be busy so he put his phone back into his pocket.

“She will come next Monday, right? Let’s wait for next Monday, gary-a. A day is too short. I can keep myself busy this week and shortly Monday will come,” he encouraged himself and left the café.

But things didn’t go as he expected. A day was too long and the hours passed slowly like a turtle to him. He almost felt like he was about to age while waiting for Monday.

On Tuesday, he went to the health club together with his little brother, HaHa. While he was working out, his brother came back with a strong man beside him. “Hyung, he is kim joong kook hyung. He is my brother, Kang Gary,” HaHa introduced them to each other. “He always talk about how strong you are and that he lost every time when he arm wrestled with you,” Gary praised which made both HaHa and joong kook bursted out into laughter.

After their exercise, the three men were resting and while they were chatting, joong kook phone rang and then bit goodbye as he had to go to the hospital

. “Is someone from his family sick?” Gary asked HaHa. “He said his sister, Jihyo, got into an accident and she was transferred to the hospital. I think she is discharging today,” HaHa said.

“What! What was her name again?” Gary screamed out in disbelief. “Why hyung, calm down, do you know her?” HaHa asked with questioned eyes. “Is she okay now?” Gary was restless.“Her leg was broken but she is getting well now,” HaHa replied.


Throwback to last Monday

At jihyo’s house,

“What should I wear today? Gary oppa said he will show me his new song today, hee?” she was searching through her wardrobe while singing a melody.

“Kwang  soo-ya, drive me to the work, I don’t want to drive today,” she said while coming downstairs in pink lace dress. She didn’t want to bring her car, of course, after Gary and she had taken a sip of coffee, gary would offer her to drive to her work when she didn’t bring her car and they would have more time to spend together.

As they spent their time together more on Monday, jihyo always looked forward to Monday. She started to like him and wanted to get closer to him more and more.

In the car, kwang soo was staring jihyo blankly. “Why are you looking at me like that? Is something wrong with my dress or with my hair,” jihyo asked touching her hair. “No, you look fine, I mean, you look prettier than the other days. Usually you will go to work with something comfortable like wearing jeans and T-shirt. But today you look totally different,” kwang soo explained.

“You are so talkative, just drive. I will get off in front of the café I usually go. I want to enjoy my morning coffee,” she said and they drove off.

Kwang soo stopped the car in front of the café and jihyo got off and said goodbye and he left. Jihyo was crossing the street to the café and she didn’t realize a motorcycle was coming towards her with full speed. The motorcycle couldn’t step on its brake and jihyo got hit by the cycle. She lay on a stunned heap on the ground and fainted.

“She forgot her phone,” kwang soo said when he saw his sister phone on the passenger seat. He then turned his car back to the café. When he arrived, he saw people gathering and he went through it to see. Then he saw his sister was lying on the ground unconsciously with blood gushing out form her ankle of her left leg. He lifted her and went to the hospital.


“Are you okay now? Is there anywhere you are hurt?” her dad was so worried. “I am all good now appa, your daughter is a strong woman,” jihyo said with a smile. “It is so lucky to have kwang soo around in this kind of situation. Because he could send you to the hospital in time, you were safe from severe haemorhage,” her big brother said.

“Well, there is no need to spend my time on this bed, I want to discharge now,” she said while trying to get off from bed but dong wook got hold of her hand and made her sit on the bed again. “You are still not fully recovered and the injuries you got on your ankle were so extremely hurt. Just stay at the hospital today and rest. We will ask the doctor for permission whether you can discharge tomorrow or not,” Dong wook convinced her. Jihyo pouted her lips and pretended that she was sulk but everyone agreed to dong wook.

On the next day, she was discharged from the hospital but the doctor said she still needed to put the bandage around her leg and should take extra care to it. “If it was hurt again, it will be the most terrifying nightmare to you. I still want to say no to your permission for discharge but you wanted to rest at your home, so I allowed it. Take good care of your health and get well soon,” the doctor said to jihyo. “I will keep this in my mind and will take care of myself. Thank you doctor,” she bowed.

End of flashback.


8pm, at gary’s home,

Gary was staring vacantly at the ceiling above him. “Is she doing well now? I think it would be better to ask her directly rather than asking myself. But what if she doesn’t like receiving calls or messages from someone who is not that close?” Gary asked himself. “I don’t know. I will test her. I want to know if she is well now,” gary sent a message to jihyo.


Jihyo was lying on her bed listening to gary’s song and smiling in her sleep. Then she heard a beep from her phone. She got up and checked the phone.

[ Jihyo-a, are you recovering well? I heard that you got into an accident and I was worried. Take care of your health,]~~~~~~From Gary-oppa.

“He is worried about me?” her lips automatically curled up into a smile. Her heart beats fasten and it seemed like she got a message from a person she was waiting.

[Thank you oppa. I am feeling better now. I want to get well soon cuz I want to listen to your new song.] she replied.


Gary was smiling from ears to ears. His mouth wide opened almost enough for a fly to get in. Gary couldn’t wait to hear her voice since he was missing her so badly. He collected all his courage and dialled her number.

“Hello, Gary oppa,” jihyo answered.

“Jihyo-a, I was so worried that I am about to come to you as soon as I heard you were in an accident. But still I don’t know which hospital you are or was afraid that you won’t also pick up my phone since we are not that too close. But I wanted to know your condition badly so I tested you,” gary said.

 “It sounded like a confession,” she thought to herself.“What do you mean we are not that close? We are close like friends and siblings. I am getting better now. But I still have to put a bandage around my ankle since it was hurt a little. And I really really want to recover faster since I can’t wait to listen to your new songs,” jihyo said excitedly in her cute voice.

“Do you want to hear a snippet of it?” Gary said in his soft voice.

“Can I?” jihyo answered shyly.