Dark and Light

What Do You Know?

I get to know more about Jongup during lunch break. He bought tuna sandwiches and coke for both of us.

 

I now know Jongup love sports especially track events just like I do, though I am no longer joining any competition because I want to focus on my studies more. I also found out that Jongup is into music and that he idolize Chris Brown so much. That is why he likes to sing and dance but he was shy when I requested him to show me his talents. He promised he will show me one day when it is the right time.

 

Talking to him makes me forget about the pain I'm suffering just now. I feel a lot better after seeing Jongup. I do realise my heart races whenever our eyes met. What does this mean? Do I like him.. more than a friend? No, that is too fast. I just met him today. What if he has his own dark secrets?

 

*********************

 

The next morning, I woke up early just like how I used to and of course I am going to have my morning jog today. I think my knee still stings but at least I get to meet Jongup. A smile crept onto my lips and I grabbed my toiletry to take a shower. Min overreacted when I told her I have already befriended Chee- Jongup! Ugh. A habit surely does not go away easily.

 

I am all dressed up and I made my way to the track, waiting for Jongup. We did not promise each other to meet up this morning though but I figured I could give him a little surprise. I took a seat at the grandstand on the very first row and waited for Jongup. It took me a while to realise that I have been waiting for 1 hour and he was still not around. This is unusual. Did something happened to him?

 

*******************

The bell rang, indicating the start of my maths class. I was still all alone at the grandstand but I decided to just walk away and hoping that Jongup will be present for maths class. I walked with my head hanging low, in disappointment.

 

As I took my first step into the class, I looked up to find Jongup but he was not there. Again. I thought we had a deal to let me sit next to him for today's class. It felt as if my heart was squeezed hard enough that I felt pain in my chest. I should have known that it was too good to be true.

 

"Hi. Is this seat taken?" A funny, low voice asked me. I was curious who is the owner of the voice could be because it is kind of irritating. I looked up and my smile is back.

 

"Jongup-sshi!" I exclaimed quietly, causing few heads to turn to our direction. I almost hugged him but I suppressed my urge and let him sit next to me. He can only let out a small laugh at how I reacted. He pretended to be someone else to surprise me, that was why he used a low tone.

 

"Where were you?" I asked and he calmly told me that he was from his dorm. I furrowed my eyebrows.

 

"What?" Jongup asked, looking at me as if I was a weirdo or something. It took me a few seconds to finally explain my facial expression.

 

"I was waiting for you at the track but you weren't there. Did something happen to you? You were a bit late for maths class too," I managed to explain to him. Jongup's jaw dropped first and then it turned to a laughter but his laugh did not last long. He palmed his face and looked at me with a smile.

 

"I decided not to have my morning jog today. Its not like you're going to- I mean.. I was in my room soundly asleep. I almost overslept though but I ran to the class to meet you-," his voice faded and he then paused. He squinted his eyes hard, twice.

 

"I just decided to run to class or else I would have to take the yellow slip," he altered his answer. I bobbed my head to the right, thinking why did not answer in one go. Anyway, yellow slip is for latecomers.

 

"Why did you decide not to have morning jog today?" I could not help but ask. I could not make out entirely what he tried to say just now and I noticed Jongup seem a bit shaky to answer my question. I soon realised my heart was racing too.

 

"N-nothing. I went to bed late last night, doing my assignments and I-I just don't feel like jogging today," Jongup answered slowly as if he made up the answer on the spot. His cheeks turned crimson  so I decided to stop asking stupid questions and pulled out my book and my stationery.

 

Jongup turns out to be a big help. I think he was born to be a genius. Like a mad science genius and I wonder what his brain was made of. It took me awhile to digest the formula for work done with kinetic and potential energies but I guess Jongup must have ate the paper with the formula written on it because it seems like to him, it was nothing. He just snapped his fingers and it's in his head. I envied his participation in maths class.

 

*******************

 

"Jari-sshi, so far so good?" Jongup asked as we walked down the hallway to the cafeteria. I had a lot in my mind so I just nodded in reply.

 

I notice Jongup's awkwardness. I don't want him to think I am cold towards him or anything but its just that.. I miss my mom. How is she doing today?

 

*******************

 

"Mom?! Wake up!" My mom suddenly collapsed in my arms looking very pale. That was the second time I have ever cried so hard because I might lose my one and only family member left. The doctor confirmed that my mom had leukaemia and she had to stay at the hospital for a long time.

 

Dad and Juri left us both all alone in this house because they were involved in a car accident 6 years ago. It was on the first page of the newspaper and a picture was attached under the article, where my dad's car was totally crushed as if our car was made of paper. Looking at the picture breaks my heart every time..

 

Juri was only 10 years old at that time..

 

She have not seen the how beautiful this world can be..

 

And dad...

 

He was my superman..

 

I no longer hold onto the "beautiful world" 's lie because the people that made my world beautiful are gone and I know my mom will leave me very soon. I am just a student. I don't have that much money to pay for my mom's surgery.

 

*******************

 

"Jari-sshi?" Jongup's voice was very soft and low. I did not realise a tear slipped from my eye. I quickly wiped it off with my sleeve.

 

"Are you okay..? Do you want to go home now?" 

 

Home?

 

Define home.

 

Jongup's voice sounded worried but still soft and low. I forced a smile and shook my head. I continued to head towards an empty seat in the cafeteria and Jongup sat next to me.

 

"You know..," Jongup started off, darting my head to his direction.

 

"I can be all ears if you want me to," Jongup offered. How sweet. He could be the most perfect person in the world that I could ask for right now. But I hate it when people feel pity or sympathises me for who I am or for how unfortunate my life is.

 

"That's okay, Jongup-sshi, I was just a bit stressed out thinking about what to do next," I managed to tell him. I thought I just told him a lie but I was not entirely lying though. I really am wondering what should I do next.

 

"Well," Jongup placed his backpack on his lap and ped the zipper.

 

"What you should do next is," I was not sure why did I hear a drumroll. I must have been hallucinating. I saw his hand grabbed onto something and I heard a plastic bag being squeezed. And guess what he took out of his backpack?

 

"Eat cheetos with me!" There it is. A bag of cheetos. Chee-freakin-tos! I swear I could not hold in my laughter and I laughed really hard! I mean, come on! Cheetos?! I gave him that nickname! I could not stop laughing!

 

"What.. Did I say something wrong?" Jongup's face was the cutest when he was confused. Eyes were on us by now. My habit when I laugh hard is I slam any object near me; including Jongup. Well, I didn't slammed his head to the table or so but I lightly slapped his arm. Or should I say I lightly slapped his cheetos? Oh my, I laughed hard again!

 

"You started to hurt my feelings," Jongup said jokingly. I put my palms together in an act of apology but I have to finish laughing first. I am really sorry Jongup-sshi, I honestly am!

 

Turning impatient, Jongup tear the bag open and munched on it one piece at a time. I have to pull myself together. This is so embarrassing! My face turned red from too much laughing and my eyes got watery too. Oh my. I should stop being silly.

 

"Can I-" I was about to laugh again before I could finish my sentence. I was going to ask for one cheetos from him. Jongup pretended he did not hear me and continued devouring his snack.

 

"Ask nicely, no laughing, smiling can," he said cutely like a kindergarten kid. Oh my. He looked like one though, I am not lying. And I finally took one very deep breath with my eyes closed and calmly obeyed his demand.

 

"Jongup-sshi, may I have one?" I have to close my eyes hard to suppress my laughter. He looked at me from the corner of his eyes, to see whether I was sincere or not and he eventually place the bag on the middle of the table so that I could grab one for myself.

 

Thank you for brightening my day, Moon Jongup.

 

I always prayed that Juri and dad will be just fine on the other side and I hope mom will get better soon.