Opposite

What Do You Know?

The sunlight landed on my face and eventually woke me up. Unconsciously I woke up smiling at the thought of last night's dinner with Jongup. I wondered if I have to make the first move because I know how timid Jongup can be. I know how quiet Jongup can be.

Not realising the time I wasted, I then made my way to the kitchen, preparing myself some breakfast and I am still in my pajamas when my phone rang, indicating I received a call. A smile crept onto my lips when I saw the caller's ID and I immediately swipe the green icon on the left to the opposite side.

"Yes Jongup-sshi?" I beamed only to hear a small chuckle at the end of the line.

"I thought you were still sleeping," Jongup replied and I laughed at his statement.

"Hey, I am not a lazy bum like you," I joked and he let out a small laugh, inviting me to laugh along few seconds later.

"Anyway," Jongup started in between his laughs. I paid my attention to his next words. Our next conversation was just simple questions and answers about what we planned for today and what have we done this morning. I told him about the part time job I was looking for and he said we can go there together.

"Now?" I meant to ask about the part time job but I heard Jongup stutter at the other line, introducing curiosity in me.

"U-uh, n-now? Yeah sure but uh.. c-can we just.. I have to do some errands first," Jongup sounded suspicious but nontheless, I volunteered to accompany him doing his errands. To my surprise, my offer was rejected.

"What is it Jongup-sshi? You know you can tell me anything, right?" I ensured Jongup to be open to me as how he assured me to be open to him. But to no avail, Jongup insisted on doing his errands alone.

"Fine.. Just be careful and tell me if anything comes up, okay?" With that, we ended our conversation and I can't seem to shrug off the curiosity Jongup caused.

Finished with my breakfast, an idea came to my mind and I took my shower, put on my dark green hoodie, long black sweatpants and slipped into my favourite elastic sport shoes before I leave the house. If Jongup was doing an errand, he might be doing it at the convenient store next to the bakery. I put on my hoodie and walk with my head down like a theif. I looked around to see if Jongup has arrived before me but just about the right moment, Jongup was walking down the street and I quickly hid behind the wall because I wanted to surprise him later.

I watched his every step and I expected him to enter the convenient store but instead, he made a turn and entered the pharmacy, opposite of the convenient store across the street.

About three minutes passed, Jongup have not left the pharmacy. My plan to surprise Jongup was long forgotten and I then made my way to the pharmacy with my hoodie down, I no longer have to look like a theif. Before I stepped into the pharmacy, the door shot open only to bump into him.

"Jari-sshi," Jongup obviously did not expect to see me there. He was holding a plastic bag in his hand, must have contained some items judging from the medium size of the bag. He somehow dressed just like me previously; like a theif. He have his snapback on and his hoodie over it, keep on looking down to the ground and that just made me more curious than ever.

"I t-told you I was doing an errand," Jongup turned away, looks like he did not want me to see his face.  This is so not him. I am sure he must have hid something from me.

"You did," I said as I stepped to the side, not wanting to block other people's way and so did Jongup. The next moment, we were walking side by side and I noticed Jongup's hands were kind of shaking and I just realised I never landed my eyes on his face today. Every time I tried to look at him, he would turn away but the curious side of me would not give up so I offered to hang out at the playground. We sat on the swings and I started the conversation.

"Whose errand is it?" I went straight to the point as my curiosity was about to flow out of me. I noticed the corner of his lips were quiet red and I wonder how did he get it. Nonetheless, I tried my best not to dart all the questions to him at once. Jongup clenched his hands into fists and that was when I spotted red marks on his knuckles too.

"Jongup-sshi," my patience started to grow thin as I started to be a pessimist, thinking of what could be worse. I didn't dare to force him or anything, its not like I have ever done that before but I was just simply concerned about Jongup. He seemed like he didn't want to tell me at all and unintentionally my hands made its way to grab Jongup's errand. Then Jongup took it back in a flash but I was quick enough to grab one of the items; a concealer.

I tilted my head in confusion. Maybe Jongup's mother told him to buy one because Jongup does not have any female sibling. I smiled at first but when I turn to look at Jongup, there was no trace of smile on his face. Involuntarily my free hand grabbed Jongup's chin and to my surprise he twitched at my touch. And that's when I finally saw his face; he have a cut near his lip and there was a purple bruise on his left cheek. I gasped at the sight, this is nothing else but he must have been involved in a fight and I couldn't guess with who.

"Oh my! Jongup-sshi! Who did-" I was just trying to show him that I was concerned but he cut me off.

"Don't," Jongup sounded firm and I was taken aback. It felt like it was not the sweet Jongup that I used to know. Tears started to pool in my eyes; I was worried about his safety and also because I didn't expect him to be harsh with me. I just kept quiet and looked back at the concealer in my hand. Now I know it was not for his mother, the concealer was for Jongup himself, he needed to cover up the bruises before we meet. However, I tried my best to be a help instead of a burden.

"Is there anything that I can do..?" I hesitantly asked him in case he decided to be rough again but he decided to ignore me and kept quiet.

"Jongup-sshi..," I spoke again, I needed an answer. I'm not some kind of a magician or a psychic, I needed him to tell me what happened. I honestly hated the way he ignored me but I guess that was better than hurting me with his words. As I was about to open my mouth to speak again, Jongup sighed heavily in distress as if there was something he regretted or there was something he wished didn't happen.

"I'm sorry, Jari-sshi, but not now," he finally opened his mouth and stood up from the swing. He looked down at me emotionless as I looked up to him with care but he immediately turned away. I knew he didn't mean to be like that so I didn't say a word when he was about to leave. His footsteps were hesitant but a minute later he sat back down on the swing. I was just worried about him, what if something worse happen in the future?

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to be so harsh just now," I could barely hear his voice and I sensed regret in it. I swallowed my tears and forced a smile for I know the Jongup that I know was still in there but both of us kept quiet until his phone rang.

"I got to go!" And with that he was gone in a flash. I was left dumbfounded all by myself and I don't know if I can be much of a help so I stayed there and enjoyed the wind blew on my face. I looked up to the sky to see it started to get dark even if it was not yet noon; as if the sky knew how I felt and soon enough a drop of rain landed on my forehead.

It was only a light rain so I took my sweet time to walk in the rain and Jongup was the only one in my mind right now. I hope he would be safe and sound no matter where he is and whatever he did.