He's Back

What Do You Know?

"Thank you, please come again," I said with a smile to the last customer of the day. It has been one week since I started working at the bakery and also since I last saw Jongup. Not even one day passed by without me wondering and thinking about him.

I sent him at least one text each day for the last 7 days, telling him what I am up to and that I would be at the bakery for my night shift if he wanted to meet me. So far, I never saw Jongup came to visit my workplace and he didn't reply to my text just not make things better.

With a sigh, I turned off the lights as I was the only person in the bakery since my other co-workers have left and headed home. Taking off my apron, I hung it on the wall and went to my locker to grab my backpack. I untied my hair bun and ran my fingers to untangle it when suddenly I heard the bell, indicating someone entered the building.

"Sorry, we are already closed 10 minutes ago," I said as I made my way to the front. It was already dark so I tried to adjust my sight with the help of the streetlights on the road just outside of the bakery. I could only see a man's silhouette; not too tall, wearing sneakers, long pants and a shirt covered with a black jacket. He was frozen at his spot and so did I, waiting for him to leave because I want to go home too.

"Jari-sshi..," his voice was very familiar even if I could barely hear him.

"J-Jongup-sshi?!" Surprised, I thought my voice was a bit too loud so I covered my mouth. He took few steps to the front, into the light and I finally could see him. He was standing right in front of me; the person that I have been longed for. He gave me a small smile and I actually felt an ache growing in my heart; I missed him so much that I unconsciously wrapped my arms around him. I don't care and I am going to tell him how much I missed him these past few days. I can tell he was taken aback from my sudden hug but eventually he hugged me back.

"I'm sorry.. Please don't cry," I didn't even realised my tears were flowing. He patted my back and brushed my hair in an act of comforting me but I cried harder instead; this is the sweet Jongup I know and I am happy he's back.

"Where have you been? I thought you left for good," I sobbed into his chest. Jongup remained quiet and all his actions stopped. I pulled away from his chest to look up to his face; all of his wounds were healed and not a scratch on him when I examined both of his hands.

"I'm sorry, Jari-sshi," he pulled me into another hug and now it was my turn to be frozen. His hug was quite tight than before but I still feel safe in his arms, knowing that he's back.

 

*******************

 

I offered Jongup to come to my place but he said it wouldn't be nice if other people saw us so we ended up being at the playground again for the nth time. There, he told me everything that has happened to him and even how he got hurt previously.

"I thought you lived with your parents this whole time. So your parents doesn't know anything that you have been chased by the loansharks?" I asked him to verify his story. I also realised that I have never knew his actual address so I should ask him later.

"No, I don't want anything to happen to them. This was all because of that stupid backstabber. He used my name at the loanshark and now they were after me. They said, they didn't care as long as they get their money back," Jongup explained with a trace of fury in his voice. I looked down to my flats and started to swing back and forth very slowly.

"The thing is, I paid all of it but they said I still have to pay for the interest. I tried to argue with them but they beat me up instead," this time his voice started to fade out. I put a weigh on my feet and my swing instantly halted.

"But everything is already settled, right?" I asked, quite shock from what he just said.

"Yeah, everything is done now. I'm sorry for disappearing without any notice," he apologised again and sighed when he looked up to the sky; he swallowed the beautiful view where the thin crescent moon was surrounded by many stars in the dark sky and a smile crept onto his lips. He then started to swing back and forth at a slow pace.

"Just don't do that again," I looked down to my feet, remembered how painful it was for me without him in my life. Jongup chuckled and nodded, then we started to talk about my new job for another hour until both of us yawned and craved for sleep.

 

*******************

 

The next day was my off day so I went to visit my mother at the hospital and the doctor said mom has improved a lot than before. I brought Jongup along and introduced him to mom.

"Mom, this is Jongup, the one that I told you last time," I reminded mom and she smiled wide, remembered how she teased me last time.

"You really are good looking, just like what Jari said," I facepalmed and turned away only to make my mom laugh and Jongup smiled from ear to ear.

"Did she?" Jongup joined mom's teasing club and I blushed. Even though I really never said that, hands down, Moon Jongup really is good looking.

"What, no! I didn't! Mom, stop joking," I almost begged on my knees because my cheeks are heated up that it could explode any second now. They both laughed and we then started to talk about other things and Jongup almost forgot to give mom a basket of fruits that he bought for her.

Almost an hour later, Jongup excused himself to the washroom, leaving me and mom alone.

"I know you like him, Jari-ah," mom said out of the blue. I laughed at first but then I do realised mom can tell the truth. Who am I joking, I was in mom's womb for the whole 9 months; of course she knew me better.

"Maybe I do," I said almost whispering, looking down to the floor. Mom reached her hand out and brushed my hair. I grabbed mom's hand and rubbed them with mine, squeezing it a bit before flashing a small smile to mom.

"Honey, you don't have to wait for him to make the first move. What if everything's too late and you didn't even get the chance to tell him your feelings?" Mom was not trying to scare me but she also didn't want me to regret for not doing things that I should have done. I have thought of that before, and thinking that he must not be my soulmate if that really happen.

"I don't know mom. Then we must not meant to be together," I let out a small laugh but mom was not amused. Sadness and anger written on her face, it seems like mom couldn't believe her ears just now.

"Jari-ah, I never taught you to give up so easily. Your late dad, it was me who made the first move, I was the first one to tell him my feelings. But of course, your dad proposed to me and that was not because he felt sorry for me but because he finally realised he have feelings for me too and I just have to wake him up or else we would never be together. Keep that in mind Jari-ah," mom squeezed my hand before rubbing it gently. I was silent for a moment and tried to digest mom's words and it does make sense in some way.

"But what if, just what if, our feelings were not mutual and this could actually ruined our friendship?" My voice faded as I imagined the worse case scenario that could happen; or should I say that would be my nightmare came true. I sighed lightly and waited patiently for mom's motivating answer but soon after that I heard a small cough; Jongup.

"What did I missed?" Jongup smiled widely as he approached his seat next to me and sat down. I widen my eyes, wondering if he heard our conversation and immediately denied it.

"Nothing! We didn't talk about anything," I said without looking at him; obviously he could tell I hid something from him. He squinted his already small eyes at me, but eventually he let it go and soon enough, we were told to leave as mom was going to have her another rest to keep her strong. I bid my mom goodbye, gave her a kiss on her cheek and left the building with Jongup.

Mom's words were still lingering in my mind as we walked side by side and separated at an intersection where my house was on the left and Jongup's house was at the opposite side. He flashed his angelic smile for the last time on that day and I then randomly remembered how he was gone without any sign for 7 days last time. What if it happened again, and what if it took longer than 7 days?

 

Should I really make the first move?