Fifty Cents

Change Me
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I grasped the scalding mug of tea in my hands, yet I was numb to the burning sensation. I watched as the tea bag floated through the water, tainting the water a gorgeous shade of fuscia.

The instant we got home, Yoongi had busied himself with crafting the drink, and I had again, watched him with the utmost captivation.

He knew how to comfort me; often times, a warm cup of tea was all I needed. Unfortunately, it wasn't working it's magic as it always did.

I was stuck with my haunting thoughts, and no matter how hard I tried to clear my mind, I could only think deeper into what I was bound to do.

"The mission is in three days," Yoongi said. "I know this won't be easy but you can't forget who you are Yuri. His assasination will aid in the reunification of the North and the South. It's what we were made to do."

My hand trembled, and I grasped the mug of tea tighter to avoid spilling it. "When I was sent over here, there was no mention of assasinating the president. This is a dangerous move to the whole country Yoongi. It will start a war."

"Of course you weren't told that you were to assasinate the president. You know that having any prior knowledge of our missions could sabatoge them."

Yoongi's words were correct. Yet it was strange how we, who were originally sent to take care of government officials and generals, were suddenly tasked to destroy the biggest figure in South Korea. It was too sudden and the directions were too easy.

"I need you to pull it together Comrade. We can not do this alone." Yoongi sounded almost distressed and I realized that my actions were putting him in an uncomfortable position.

I had to stop acting like this for Yoongi's sake. This would be our last mission before we could return back to the North. I couldn't ruin that for Yoongi. I couldn't.

Bzz. Bzz. Bzz.

My eyes averted to my phone, the screen lighting up with a call. I stared at it, my eyebrows furrowing as I read the caller ID.

Kim Taehyung.

He was calling me. Why? He had promised to never see me again, and this call would just rub salt into our open wounds.

"Aren't you going to answer it?" Yoongi jerked his head towards the vibrating phone.

I shook my head. "No."

However, the calls wouldn't quit. It rang consecutively without a break, yet I continued to stare at it with blank eyes. At one point, I felt my arm stretch out towards the object and in a trance, the phone was raised to my ear.

"Hello?" I whispered.

"Hello? Is this Woo Yuri-ssi?"

I paused, my eyes widening at the unfamiliar voice. It wasn't Taehyung's usual bass like voice. Instead, it was higher and softer, worry laced in each syllable.

"It is."

I heard a sigh of relief from the other end. It was hard to catch due to the booming music and loud screams from the other end. "Thank god. Could you come to the Ritz Night Club right now? It's urgent."

NIght club? I glanced up at the clock; it was nearing twelve in the night.

"Why should I go there?" I asked the exasperated speaker.

"Taehyung," he answered. He suddenly began to speak quicker, as if he was stuck in an urgent situation. "He's going crazy and he's causing trouble. He's saying he won't leave until you come."

I deftly placed the tea that had turned lukewarm on the coffee table, springing up from the sofa with full alertness.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter