Warmth

Change Me
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I wonder how many stars fill the indigo sky. One day, I want to be able to lay down on my back, surrounded by nothing but nature; the wind whispering its secrets into my ears. I'll count each star, and remember each one. My friend Bomi used to say that when a person dies, a new star is added to the galaxy. Through the star, a person's soul watches over their loved ones.

I wonder if anyone watches over me.

"You ready?" Yoongi's voice broke the silent night.

I didn't answer him. I slipped off the straps of the heavy leather case that rested on my back. Placing it on the ground, I swept my fingers across the soft leather, stopping at the cold metal latches. With some pressure from my numb fingers, I popped them open. I pushed the heavy lid back, and it landed with a gentle thud.

"Haven't seen this er in a while." Yoongi whistled and crouched down next to me.

I was hoping I wouldn't need to see it for a while longer. It was a sniper rifle, one that could zone in on a target from half a mile away. The black metal glistened menacingly under the moonlight.

It was the night I had been planning with Yoongi for the past two weeks. It was time for Park Hoon to go.

Our plan was perfectly polished: nothing could go wrong. Park Hoon was having his birthday dinner at the Shilla Seoul Hotel with his family, along with some of his close friends and their families. HIs usual bimbo girlfriend wasn't anywhere to be seen tonight.

We would finish him off quickly, without harming any others.

Yoongi unwrapped a piece of gum and popped it in his mouth. He blew small bubbles as he watched me work, my nimble hands working with dexterity. I took the sniper out and propped it against the ledge of the abandoned building we were on top of. The building was just in shooting range of the 8th level of Seoul Shilla: the floor where Park Hoon was.

My feet shoulder width apart, I bent my knees and positioned my elbow on the ledge, distributing my body weight so I would balance. I took one last breath before closing my left eye, focusing my vision soley through the scope.

"Comrade, are you sure about this?" I heard the worry in Yoongi's voice.

I had to be sure about this. I had to carry through this mission. I had to prove that I hadn't softened, that I hadn't become a weak puppet.

I could see Park Hoon laughing through the brightly illuminated window of the hotel. His corrupt nature just oozed from the fact that he was having Korea's most luxurious dinner by renting out the whole restaurant. That must have cost a fortune. His whole family was decked out to the nines, jewels and satins enveloping their bodies.

Park Hoon only had daughters, but I observed around seven boys. Their backs were to me, so I couldn't make out their faces. They must be of high class, to be eating dinner with the one and only Park Hoon.

My finger hovered over the trigger. One squeeze, and everything would be over with. He was in my range, and everyone was distracted. There were around a dozen body guards scattered around, but none of them would be able to detect my sniper.

I don't kill for pleasure. I kill to survive.

"One. Two. Three."

I squeezed.

The world around me slowed down. I could trace the path of the bullet, see it whiz through the night sky and through the tall glass window. I watched the bullet lodge clean in his chest, right over his beating heart.

He died within impact.

This wasn't my first kill. I've murdered three others in the past: my first kill was when I was 15. All of my victims had passed without pain. Perhaps it was my way of apologizing...trying to lessen my own selfish guilt.

I couldn't tear my eye away from the scope. I watched as chaos unfolded, his family screaming in pure agony and fear. This would scar them, a slash so deep in their minds and hearts that it would bleed for eternity. The body guards are frantic, pushing down the rest of the guests under the enormous dining tables. I saw a flash of sandy brown hair being stuffed under a tablecloth, but before I could see his face, he was gone.

"We have to leave Yuri." Yoongi urgently said, making me snap out of my thoughts.

"Yeah, of course." I fumbled with the gun, trying to lift it carefully back into its case. I didn't realize that I was shaking, my whole body quivering with the adrenaline of my kill.

Yoongi took away the gun, wrapping it up much faster than I could right now. He slung it over his back with ease. Like we planned, we hurriedly ran out of the dilapitated building and into the busy streets of Seoul. We blended right in with the mass of people. Even the leather sniper case looked like a violin case.

The shaking in my body was gone. Replacing it was a strange numbness, one that immunized me from any feeling. I didn't want to feel guilt. This was what I was born to do. My killings were justified...it was either them, or me.

"I guess we should head back home, right? We don't want to be in this area. It won't be long before the police start a manhunt." Yoongi pulled his black scarf up, covering his exposed mouth.

"We'll catch the bus."

I almost felt like laughing. I just killed someone, yet here I was, talking wi

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter