Sept.

Grand Pas de Deux

7.

Jongin watches the clouds pass overhead and there’s something new and refreshing about it as he smiles to himself. Yixing crosses his mind with every fleeting second - those sweet dimples, that beautiful smile, the soft skin and those kind eyes. He wonders why he had never realized his feelings beforehand, looking at Yixing now as he turns in a pirouette with the happiest expression on his face. He’s in love, so terribly in love.

“What’s gotten into you?” Sehun asks with a raised eyebrow, because, not only has he noticed his best friend staring more at Yixing (in a different way), but he’s also confused as to why they’re walking towards a coffee shop, “Since when do you drink coffee?”

Jongin laughs, his voice is light and distant, “This place has really good hot chocolate.”

“You’ve been here before?” Sehun asks becoming more and more astonished by his friend by the second as the little bell above their heads jingles when Jongin pushes the wooden door open.

“Afternoon-” Minseok’s voice chimes before his gaze lands on Jongin and his eyes widen the same way they did the first time Minseok had met the boy, “Oh, Jongin. What brings you here?”

Jongin smiles sheepishly, “I came for one of your hot chocolates.”

The corners of Minseok’s lips twitch upwards just slightly until they curve into a shy smile, “Oh, sure. Who’s this?” he gestures to the taller boy beside Jongin.

“My name is Sehun.” Sehun introduces himself with an awkward smile and a vague wave of his hand, “Do you have tea here?”

Minseok blinks at him before laughing quietly, “We do serve tea-”

“Bubble tea?” Sehun interrupts with a stony look on his face.

“N-No…” Minseok stutters in response, because he’s not sure how to handle this guy anymore.

“Why not?” Sehun’s stare is accusatory as he crosses his arms.

Minseok looks up at Chanyeol for help now that he’s joined his side, but Chanyeol shrugs and slips away to help Baekhyun with the coffee beans that he’s started spilling all over the floor. It takes a few seconds for Minseok to get his wits about him before he finally forces on an awkward smile, eyes twinkling as he does so. He leans forwards, the way he always does, and rests his elbows on the countertop. Jongin remembers seeing this action before and smiles at the familiarity when Minseok places his chin in his palms and lets his fingers caress his own cheeks.

“I’m a barista, Sehunnie,” Minseok starts and Sehun blushes light pink at the sudden nickname, “My expertise is in coffee. If I were to make bubble tea, you probably wouldn’t like it.” Minseok scrunches up his face as if to give an example of what anyone’s face would be if he were to try and make bubble tea.

Sehun blinks several times and turns to Jongin (who is busy staring at the sweets on display) and then looks back at Minseok, “I’ll have a green tea.”

Minseok giggles, “Splendid. And for you Jongin? Anything other than the hot chocolate?”

Jongin hums and taps on the glass of the display case with the tip of his nail, “What's Yixing's favourite?”

Minseok’s lips do that thing where they form a perfect little ‘o’ again and Sehun’s lips seem to mimic them, but it’s more of a question whereas Minseok’s is more of a surprise. Minseok folds his arms across his chest as he thinks to himself and Sehun quirks an eyebrow, eyes wider than usual as he watches Jongin. Jongin doesn't notice this as he waits for Minseok’s response - he’s busy raking his eyes over delectable desserts.

“Yixing always asks me to bake marble cake. That's his favourite. But he likes almost everything with sugar in it,” Minseok recalls a memory where Yixing had devoured a plate of cookies in minutes and then laughs to himself about it before adding, “He has a bit of a sweet tooth.”

Jongin runs his fingers through his hair and smiles to himself, he had a feeling that Yixing loves sweets, “Can I get a slice of the marble cake then too, please, hyung?”

Minseok’s cheeks turn a slight shade of red and he nods before he turns to Baekhyun, “A green tea.”

Baekhyun nods and then turns to fetch the tea leaves from the shelf, but he can’t reach so Chanyeol gets them for him. Minseok whistles to himself as he starts on the hot chocolate and orders Chanyeol to prepare a slice of marble cake. Oh, and a few almond cookies too, because Sehun decides that they look too good to pass up. Minseok agrees with him - they look delicious (he’s been trying not to cave in and eat them all morning) and go well with green tea anyway. He approves of the choice and then sends the duo to go sit themselves wherever they like with the promise of warm drinks and baked goods as soon as possible.

They're barely in their seats when Sehun begins his interrogation of his best friend. For all the years that they have danced together at Boa’s studio, his friend failed to mention that he quite liked Yixing. In fact, he gave off the exact opposite impression. Now, with all this new information floating around through his mind, Sehun is starting to question everything he thought he knew. He clears his throat to get Jongin’s attention.

“What's up with you and Yixing?” Sehun asks, because he is not one to beat around the bush, "I saw you two holding hands the other day."

Jongin shrugs and feels his cheeks heating up almost instantly, so he presses his cold palms to his cheeks in an attempt to cool down his skin, but his palms warm up as soon as they make contact. The more he thinks about Yixing, the more his heart beats inside his chest and it’s embarrassing to admit out loud that he’s in love with Yixing. Not because it’s Yixing, but because he’s an idiot. He’s an idiot for not admitting it sooner and he feels ashamed when Sehun drums his fingers on the tabletop in impatience of his response.

"I’m in love.” Jongin blurts, and that’s not exactly what he wants to say and he’s sure that’s not what Sehun is expecting to hear. By the look of utter shock on Sehun’s face, it really isn’t.

“Come again?” Sehun wants to hear that confession again, maybe because he’s not entirely sure if he heard Jongin.

“I’m in love with Yixing.” Jongin says and now that he’s finally said it aloud, there’s a flutter of nervousness in his stomach, one that makes him smile shyly and his entire being thrum with shivers of excitement, “I love him.”

“What?” Sehun deadpans, “I don’t think I heard you correctly, Jongin. If you can say that again-”

“Drinks,” Minseok announces his presence with a beaming smile as he takes one mug of hot chocolate off of his tray and lays it down in front of Jongin and the other, a cup of green tea, in front of Sehun, “Sehun, are you feeling alright? You look pale.” he notes as he sets down the plate of cookies and the slice of cake.

Sehun clears his throat, “I’m fine. Thank you, Minseok.”

“Call me ‘hyung,’” Minseok smiles brightly before ruffling Sehun’s hair, “You’re cute, you know that?”

Sehun’s pale cheeks don’t stay pale for long and start turning a dusty rose colour, “T-Thanks, hyung.” he shifts and taps Jongin lightly under the table with his foot.

Jongin looks up from his hot chocolate and smiles at Minseok dreamily, “Yeah, thanks, hyung. It smells delicious.”

“Of course it does,” Minseok winks, “Enjoy! If you need anything else, you know where to find me.” he says before disappearing back behind the counter.

Sehun watches Minseok walk away and then looks back at Jongin who is just staring into his cup, watching the heat rise. Jongin blows over the rim of the mug and smiles at the way the marshmallows bob again. He feels a sudden sense of deja vu and looks up almost expecting Yixing, but frowns when he finds Sehun staring at him in mild amazement, or maybe dissatisfaction. Jongin really can’t tell.

“What?” Jongin asks before picking up the slim fork off of his plate and cutting into his cake with the side of it - it's surprisingly fluffy, “What is it?”

Sehun sighs and shakes his head, “What you said earlier… You love Yixing?” his eyebrows narrow before he can stop himself, “What the hell is that supposed to mean?”

Jongin fidgets with his fork for a few seconds, before he realizes that he’s supposed to respond somehow. He clears his throat and searches for the right words to say, just in case, because he doesn’t want to say the wrong thing. He’s not telling Yixing how he feels, but telling his best friend that he’s in love with the man he’s always hated isn’t exactly easy either. He wonders how hard it’s going to be when he admits his true feelings to Yixing.

“It means, Sehun,” Jongin takes a deep breath, “That I’m in love.”

“Is this a joke? Are you pranking me right now?” Sehun looks around the cafe and lowers his voice, “Is this all going on hidden camera?”

Jongin rolls his eyes and nudges Sehun under the table with his foot, “No, I’m being serious. I’m in love with Zhang Yixing. I always have been.” he blushes at his words, “It’s always been him…”

“I don’t understand…” Sehun rubs his left temple with two fingers and picks up his green tea with his right hand, taking a quick sip before running his fingers through his hair, “I thought you hated him.”

“It’s hard to explain…” Jongin leans back in his chair to stretch and then hunches his shoulders forward so he can lean across the table just a little bit, “I thought I hated him, but, I think it’s alway been love. I was just… Jealous. I was jealous of Yixing, but, Sehun, something happened and now I can’t figure out how I could’ve seen that man every day and not have fallen in love with him. When did I start hating him in the first place? And why? I regret every decision up until now and I know, I know, I screwed up. I screwed up everything I could’ve ever had with him, but I want to change that now.” Jongin takes a deep breath and closes his eyes tight, “I wish I could take it all back. I wish I could start something new with him, because I’ve never felt like this before.” he opens his eyes and Sehun is surprised once more to see tears gathering in the corners, “I love him.”

Sehun sits in silence for a few minutes, processing everything that Jongin just threw at him. He always knew that Jongin’s behaviour was the produce of envy for Yixing’s ability. He didn’t realize that Jongin’s jealousy also stems from an unknown love he had pushed down inside of himself. He tries to understand, he really does, but he can’t wrap his head around it. Jongin loves Yixing. Jongin has always loved Yixing. He sighs in defeat, still unable to figure out what Jongin is telling him.

“So, you love Yixing and that’s why you were an to him?” Sehun asks finally, because that’s all he’s really been able to figure out of Jongin’s spiel.

Jongin groans quietly and nearly slams his head against the table, “No, Sehun, I can’t explain it. I don’t know how.”

“And what happened that made you realize that you loved him all this time?” Sehun picks up an almond cookie between two fingers and analyses it before taking a nibble.

Jongin shifts and frowns, “There was an incident in the shower…”

“What? When you passed out?” Sehun pops the cookie in his mouth and between chews he manages to say, “You looked like you still hated him then. Or was it his sob story?”

“No…” Jongin closes his eyes tight again, “I sort of slapped him…”

Sehun chokes on his cookie and forces the crumbly pieces down with a large sip of his tea, “What?” he gasps after he’s managed to swallow.

“I slapped him in the shower room…” Jongin sighs and looks up at Sehun from under his bangs, “As soon as I did, I wanted to take it back. Wanted to take it all back. I wanted to hold him and care for him in that instant and I realized that I’m in love… I didn’t want to hurt him, I’ve never wanted to hurt him. I recognize all my faults and all the ways I’ve hurt him, and I want to make it all go away…” he bites his bottom lip to keep himself from crying, “What have I done, Sehun?”

“You screwed up,” Sehun agrees, after some moments of silence “You really screwed up.” he says before handing a napkin to Jongin who realizes that he’s been trying to hold back his tears in vain, “I always thought Yixing was the one hopelessly in love with you.”

Jongin coughs while wiping his eyes, “Pardon?”

“Yeah,” Sehun says like it’s the most obvious thing, “if you weren’t so blinded by trying to be Yixing, maybe you’d realize that he was always looking at you too.”

“He was?” Jongin exclaims a little too loudly so that Minseok looks over at them in confusion.

“Wow,” Sehun’s face changes so that he’s expressionless, as per usual, “You really never noticed? He used to stay late too, used to watch you dance from the waiting room. I guess you’re going to tell me you never knew that either?”

Jongin gasps and flails his arms in a childish manner, “He did what?”

“You never knew?” Sehun shakes his head, “Honestly, Jongin, where have you been for the past three years?”

Jongin wonders that himself as he walks home, hands shoved in his pockets and headphones stuck in his ears. He wonders how he never saw any of it, when he always watched Yixing. Maybe he wasn’t watching Yixing the way he should’ve been. No, he knows he wasn’t watching Yixing the way he should’ve been. Instead of thinking of him as his opponent, he should’ve figured sooner that Yixing is meant to be his mentor. He is meant to be part of his life, because fate has a funny way of doing things. That dimpled smiling boy from The Nutcracker and his rival from the dance company are one in the same. Jongin thinks it’s destiny, he decides that Yixing is his destiny. He's starting to think that maybe everything really does happen for a reason.

❦❦❦

Minseok is sweeping up the shop when the bell over the door to his cafe jingles again. He looks up with a sweet smile to find Yixing and Luhan standing in the doorway. He laughs and waves them over, handing off the broom to bystander Chanyeol. Chanyeol sighs and has to bend over at an awkward angle to sweep, because the broom handle is too short, and he’s too tall. Behind the counter somewhere, Baekhyun snickers and takes a photo of him with his phone.

“What brings you two here so late?” Minseok asks as he envelops Yixing into a hug.

Luhan’s pout goes unnoticed, “We’re here to see you,” he pauses and tugs on Minseok’s sleeve before adding, “Hyung.”

Minseok laughs and the sound fills the room as he turns to wrap his arms around Luhan too, “Are you? Not for the leftover sweets and coffee, hm?”

Yixing chuckles, “We were practicing late for the upcoming show. Luhan is my supporting lead this time.” He pulls the shorter into his arms and puts him in a headlock, “Isn't that right, ge?”

“Hey, hey,” Luhan frowns and fails at shoving Yixing off of himself, “Let go, would you?”

Minseok and Yixing look at each other before laughing, and, once Luhan is freed, he’s laughing too.

Chanyeol and Baekhyun bid their farewells and Minseok doesn’t let them go without pointing out that they’re holding hands. Chanyeol blushes furiously and Baekhyun giggles, pulling the giant behind him through the door. The three of them sit down after Minseok has made them some coffees and brought forth a plate of leftover cookies and, much to Yixing’s disappointment, no marble cake.

“Hyung,” Yixing whines, “The cake?”

Minseok shrugs, “None left,” he thinks for a moment about why this is and then smiles, “Speaking of cake. Yixing, Jongin was here earlier this evening."

Luhan raises an eyebrow, “Kim Jongin? You’ve met him?”

Minseok nods, “Of course I have, Hannie, he was here a couple days ago with Yixing.”

Luhan nearly chokes on what’s left of his cookie, “Excuse me?”

“There, there, Hannie,” Minseok coos and pushes the mug of warm americano towards his friend, “Take a sip of that.”

Luhan complies and then looks Yixing straight in the eye, “Why were you with Jongin?”

Yixing shrugs, but before he can come up with an answer, Minseok is already spitting out information. He gives every last little detail about Yixing’s trip to the cafe with Jongin. And his smile grows increasingly at the way that Luhan’s eyes continue to widen with every word. Yixing wants to leave, because as soon as Minseok finishes tell the tale, Luhan is narrow eyed and glaring Yixing down.

“Excuse you,” Luhan huffs, “I thought I was your best friend!”

“Correction,” Minseok interjects, “I have always been his best friend.”

Yixing rolls his eyes, “You’re both my best friends.”

“Then you must like Minseok more! Why didn’t you tell me?” Luhan is pouting and whining like a small child and Minseok can only laugh as he rests a small hand on Luhan’s knee to still him. Luhan blushes when that hand creeps further up his leg and rests on his thigh - that shuts him up. Yixing is almost astonished by this, because it’s nearly impossibly to shut Luhan up, but here they are.

“I didn’t mean not to tell you,” Yixing sighs, “You wouldn’t have let me if I had. Am I wrong?”

Luhan opens his mouth to protest this, but Minseok squeezes his thigh so he settles with a, “No…”

“So…” Yixing starts and looks at Minseok rather timidly, “Jongin was here earlier?”

“Mhm,” Minseok nods and removes his hand from Luhan’s leg so that he can pick up his coffee, “Jongin and Sehun.”

“Sehun was here too?” Yixing would be lying to say he wasn’t curious at all, so he presses for more.

“Jongin had a hot chocolate and Sehun had a green tea,” Minseok remembers every detail, “You reminded of them when you asked for cake, because Jongin had a slice of marble cake.”

“Ah, but why were they here?” Luhan urges, because he’s just as curious as his younger friend.

“They just had drinks and desserts… They looked like they were discussing something important, I guess. I didn’t hear anything they were saying, so don’t ask, Luhan, because I know you will.” Luhan shrugs and pops another almond cookie into his mouth.

“Ah, so he ate the last of my cake did he?” Yixing pouts and wonders why Jongin would come here with Sehun - they usually went out for bubble tea.

“Actually,” Minseok giggles behind his hand, because he’s taken half of the almond cookie from Luhan’s lips and shoved it in his mouth before the latter could object, “He came in and asked me what it is that you like, Yixing.”

'What? That’s weird…” Yixing makes a face, “Why would he do that?”

“Beats me,” Minseok shrugs, “But he must’ve liked the cake, because after he finished, he asked me to pack the rest in a box for him.”

“Since when are you two so close?” Luhan frowns, “Yixing?”

Yixing takes a sip of his coffee and leans back in his chair, “We’re not. Not really. He asked me for private lessons in dance, so I’m giving them to him.”

Luhan’s jaw falls open, “Private lessons are one thing, Yixing! But taking him here and having coffee is an entirely different ordeal!”

“I just want to help him figure out his reason for dancing.” Yixing sighs, “A comfortable place like this is a nice way to relax and think.”

“Well,” Minseok leans into Luhan’s side which takes him by surprise, “Did you figure it out?”

“Sort of, I guess.” Yixing taps his chin trying to think back to it, “He never really said what it was exactly. He just told me a story about when he was a kid and saw his first ballet.”

“That’s it?” Luhan prys for more.

Yixing blushes, because, no, that’s not it, but he wouldn’t dare tell them what he discovered, “That’s it.” he confirms, but it’s a lie.

“You guys looked really close,” Minseok notes, “While you were here. I wouldn’t have ever guessed that he was Kim Jongin, like the Kim Jongin, if you hadn’t told me his name when you came in. You guys looked like you were having such a good time, until Jongin dashed out of here.”

“He ran out of the cafe?” Luhan snorts, “I mean, I know he hates coffee, but, seems a bit much.”

“Why did he leave, Yixing?” Minseok asks absently, threading fingers through Luhan’s and making him blush for his own amusement.

“I… I don’t know.” Yixing decides, but the real reason still plays in the back of his mind. The way Jongin gasped and blurted that Yixing was his first love, his reason for dancing after all these years. With that, he just got up and left, but not before changing a few shades of red first. "He probably had somewhere to be or something to do. I didn't ask."

“It’s weird.” Luhan says after a few minutes of silence have passed and he’s gotten used to having Minseok’s fingers wrapped around his own, “You and Jongin being friends, it’s too weird.”

“We’re not really friends-”

“Please,” Luhan rolls his eyes, “We both know you’re in love with him. You have been since he first started at the company. You must be ecstatic.”

Yixing shakes his head, eyes falling to look at the floor, “People change, ge, I don’t think I feel the same way about him anymore…”

“Why not?” Minseok chimes in, because he knows that Yixing loves Jongin deeply by just looking at the two of them. The feelings are mutual in both of them and he can’t figure out why they’re not already dating.

“I don’t know…” Yixing answers honestly. He doesn’t actually have a good reason not to like Jongin anymore, because he still does. He likes him so very much, but he’s terrified about it. He’s terrified to be falling in love.

 

Another unedited update from your sleepy author ~ I'm actually terribly tired and it's only 1pm... Needless to say, I'm not exactly excited for the long evening that awaits me... /sighs/ Thank you for reading, lovelies! ^^ xo, TadaChi