Quinze.

Grand Pas de Deux

15.

Things tend to change in the most peculiar ways as life goes on. Yixing notices that way that things change when six months into his relationship with Jongin, the boy has moved into his apartment because ‘well, hyung, it’s closer to the studio and I spend most of my nights there anyway’ and Yixing really can’t disagree with that logic at all. Yixing also sees the change in their relationship when everything is unusually silent between them, but in a good way.

It’s the way that Jongin comes home from a bad day and Yixing lets him curl into his lap, playing with his hair while they sit in silence until Jongin feels better. It’s the way that Jongin wakes up quietly and sneaks out to make breakfast for a sleepy Yixing after another recital. It’s the way the Yixing and Jongin hold hands without exchanging any words or even so much as a glance, because it’s automatic. Because it’s a habit that they enjoy and never want to break.

It’s the way that Jongin and Yixing look at each other in the locker room before they find themselves in a showerstall together. It’s quiet between them when Jongin rubs tenderly into the elder’s hipbones, warm water rolling off of their skin, his eyes hungry as if he’s saying, ‘Hyung, I want to make you feel good.’ Yixing nods, eyes half-lidded, in his consent and that’s when Jongin drops to his knees on the tiled floor and amidst the steam. It’s so, so quiet, muffled and weak, but they don’t need words, because they’re used to each other. Used to each other’s routines and one would think that maybe that makes their relationship boring, but it really doesn’t. There’s a special charm in being able to know exactly how the other likes to be touched.

Yixing also notices the way that life goes on between his two best friends, Luhan and Minseok. Minseok and Luhan had grown so far apart and it hurts him to see them slipping further and further away from each other, but there’s not much he can do about it. He sees Luhan at the studio and they carry on as they always do and even Jongin is included in their ridiculous banter, but there’s never any mention of Minseok. Luhan doesn’t ask to visit Minseok’s cafe the way he used to before the two had become friends and there’s an awkward tension in the air whenever Luhan asks what Yixing’s plans are and Yixing replies that he’s going to be seeing Minseok that evening.

He sees Minseok at the cafe and Jongin joins them every now and again, but it’s not the same with the two boyfriends snuggling on the couch while Minseok sits by himself with no hand to hold or no one to lean against as he used to. Jongin more often than not opts to stay home or go out with Sehun for some well deserved best friend time so that Yixing and Minseok can have their own friend time. It doesn’t change the fact that Luhan isn’t there anymore and Yixing wonders when it all began between them anyway. What happened during a year that made Luhan go from shy and bashful towards Yixing’s older friend to unwilling to see Minseok anymore, alone or with friends?

But life goes on and, in retrospect, Yixing should have seen it coming.

“They scouted me out,” Jongin blurts after their final performance of Swan Lake for the spring, “They scouted me out, hyung.”

Yixing blinks several times, slowly processing the words and he wants to smile and be happy, but something about this tugs on his heart, “They did?”

“They did!” Jongin exclaims, throwing his arms around Yixing’s neck. He’s so gone in his euphoria that he misses the way that Yixing’s smile doesn’t quite reach his eyes.

“They want me to go to the tryouts, Yixing,” Jongin says softly into his ear and Yixing can hear the smile in his voice, “They want to offer me a scholarship.”

Yixing’s heart misses a beat and it’s painful, “Wow,” he breathes - and it’s the only thing he’s able to get out.

Yixing is not jealous. He is not jealous of Jongin and for Jongin being scouted out to be given a scholarship. Yixing has had plenty of opportunities given to him to go back to dance school, but he shut them all down. There was always an underlying fear in the back of his mind that if he went back to the high-class world, he would be trapped there once again. There was a fear that he would see his parents again. Or Taemin.

So, no, he’s not jealous. He’s actually rather proud of Jongin - so proud, in fact, that he wants to scream it from the rooftops and let everyone know how talented and beautiful his boyfriend is. What stops him from doing that is the idea that the they that Jongin was speaking of are from Paris, France. Tryouts are being held in South Korea, but, essentially, Jongin would have to leave and go to France to study full-time for a year or more, depending on the scholarship and the programs.

That means…

Letting go.

Jongin notices that it takes Yixing some time to respond to his hug, his hyung’s movements are slower than usual as he winds his arms around his waist. Jongin takes a deep breath, breathes in Yixing’s sweat from the show and presses a kiss against his neck. Yixing shivers under the touch and lets out a small sigh. Jongin can’t decide if it’s from satisfaction or sadness.

“I love you,” Jongin says, because there’s a lot of things that he wants to say right now, but he knows this is the only thing that Yixing really needs to hear.

Yixing’s chest rumbles slightly with soft laughter, “I love you too.” he says, but his heart still hurts at the thought of Jongin leaving.

❦❦❦

It’s two weeks later that Jongin finds himself standing outside of one the large cultural centres, rocking nervously on his heels. Yixing is standing right there beside him, holding his hand and reassuring Jongin that everything will be okay. Even though he’s not entirely sure that he really means everything, because while he’s sure that the tryouts will be okay and that Jongin will get in, that’s where he falters. Because he won’t be okay. He won’t be okay without Jongin by his side and if Jongin gets into this school, then he’s lost.

Yixing hasn’t talked about it with Jongin. He won’t.

Not when the love of his life is so close to reaching his goals. He won’t take that from him. He knows that Jongin was meant for more than just simple ballet recitals performed on a local stage. He knows that Jongin has been striving for this for years and he knows that Jongin is good enough. And even though he loves Jongin more than anything in the world, he’s ready to let his own feelings go so that Jongin can pursue that happiness that Yixing has now at Boa’s small company.

“Relax.” Yixing smiles and kisses Jongin’s nose, “Relax, Jonginnie, you’ll do fine. Take a deep breath for me now, come on.”

Jongin takes a deep breath, holds it for nearly ten seconds as instructed and then he bursts out into a fit of nervous laughter, resting his forehead against Yixing’s. He smiles, bright and charming, the way that Yixing adores.

“Thank you,” Jongin murmurs before kissing Yixing softly, “Thank you.”

The auditorium is not nearly as filled with people as Jongin had thought it might be. There are people in the stands watching, but they’re mostly kids who are interested in dance or parents or, in Jongin’s case, lovers. Yixing sits dead center of the room and makes himself comfy, sending a few messages to calm Jongin’s nerves, though he’s positive that Jongin isn’t going to be looking at his phone before heading out onto that stage and under that spotlight.

Before the music begins, Sehun slips in next to Yixing, nearly making Yixing jump out of his skin. Sehun has the audacity to chuckle before putting a hand on Yixing’s knee. Yixing wonders for how long his legs were shaking until that point.

“Relax, hyung.” Sehun whispers, “You’re probably more nervous that Jongin is.”

“What are you doing here?” Yixing whispers back in reply, not that he’s not happy to see Sehun, he’s just surprised that he’s showed up - the last time that they had been talking, he was meeting with Krystal that morning and was much too busy to come.

“I have exciting news,” Sehun whispers and he reaches out his left hand so that Yixing can get a good look of the sliver bang on his finger. It’s an engagement ring and Yixing jumps suddenly from his seat and envelops Sehun into a hug.

“When?” Yixing asks in surprise, “When did this happen?”

“I asked her this morning,” Sehun says proudly, “I knew she’d say yes.”

“I cannot believe you,” Yixing laughs quietly and the lights suddenly dim, “Congratulations, Sehunnie.” he says while ruffling the younger’s hair.

A sweet melody plays from the orchestra pit and Yixing briefly wonders where he’d be in life if he had gone with his original plans of playing guitar his whole life before he somehow stumbled upon ballet. He thinks he’s grateful for being forced into a pair of black ballet shoes at a young age, because he discovered himself that way. Though, he’d still like to pick up the guitar every now and again, he’s happy that this is where he is. He’s reminded of that every day when he sees Jongin’s face. And again when he watches Jongin being his dance, center stage, because he knows that this is where he belongs. With Kim Jongin.

When Jongin dances, he loses himself.

Beforehand, he used to think too much and he knew that was the real issue at hand, but he blamed Yixing anyway. He regrets that. But, before, he never really had much to dance for either. He just danced, because he knew he could and he knew he could do it well. Why not use the talent if you’ve got it to make a name for yourself? He figures it would be a waste of a gift if he didn’t at least learn proper techniques. Perfection was his new obsession and it was ultimately his downfall.

Now, he doesn’t think. He knows the moves by memory, has done them a hundred times. There’s not perfect pattern or rhythm anymore either. He dances. He follows the music and he follows his heart. And when he closes his eyes, he can see it. The reason he dances now. Zhang Yixing. It makes his heart soar and makes his dancing somehow just that much more magnificent, because he feels the music, disregarding the steps.

At the end, Jongin stills, taking perfect pose and smiling brilliantly at the judges. However, his eyes don’t search them, they search for someone else. He spots Yixing with a wide smile on his face and, he can’t see from the distance, but tears in his eyes. Jongin barely notices that Yixing is sitting next to his best friend, but once that registers too, he laughs to himself.

Jongin is only their seventh or eighth contender for the scholarship and Yixing is surprised at how fast the tryouts are actually going after that. He barely registers that there are other people dancing on the stage, because Sehun is too busy chattering away in his ear about marriage plans and Jongin is texting him furiously about his routine, which, both Yixing and Sehun assure, was executed flawlessly. It ends almost as fast as it had began and soon enough, Jongin is throwing his arms around Yixing’s neck and grinning from ear to ear.

“You did so well,” Yixing compliments, running his hand up and down Jongin’s spine until the younger is shivering at the touch.

“Thank you, hyung.” Jongin says shyly and then he spots Sehun standing behind Yixing with a bright smile on his face. “What are you doing here?”

Sehun mock scoffs, grin never leaving his face, “Nice to see you too.”

Jongin snorts with laughter, “I thought you were with Krystal this morning?”

Sehun nods, “I did it.”

“You did?!” Jongin exclaims, throwing his arms up in the air before enveloping Sehun in his arms, “Our Sehunnie is engaged!”

Having an engagement to celebrate, the three dancers decide to meet with Minseok at his cafe. Once they arrive, Minseok surprises Sehun with a bottle of champagne, the cork coming off with a loud pop and spilling the foamy drink all over the floor. Minseok giggles shyly before asking Baekhyun to take care of pouring the drinks while he mops up the spill and then joins his friends.

“Sehunnie is all grown up,” Minseok says with a pout, “I’m getting old.”

Sehun blushes furiously, “Not that old, hyung.” he insists, but Minseok just laughs.

When all’s said and done, Sehun is whisked away by his fiancee who wants him to go with her to supper with her parents. Apparently, upon hearing the news, Krystal’s mother and father had immediately taken the day to drive all the way from Busan to congratulate the newly engaged couple. Sehun bows before he leaves and Minseok teases him a little more, because Sehun is the little brother he wishes he had and he leaves with pastries boxed up to take to his new in-laws.

“How were the tryouts?” Minseok asks finally, “All the excitement with Sehun finally asking Krystal to marry him kind of took my attention away from asking.”

Jongin shrugs and tightens the grip he has on his mug of hot chocolate - foamy and creamy, the way he likes it - and shrugs again, “It went well.”

“That’s all?” Minseok rolls his eyes, “Yixing texted me on the way over, he said, and I quote,” he says taking out his phone to look at the message, “‘He’s so beautiful on the stage like this, you should see him, hyung. If he doesn’t deserve to win, then no one does.’”

Yixing’s face flushes bright red, “H-Hyung!” he stutters in embarrassment, but Jongin just smiles and leans his head against Yixing’s shoulder.

“You said that about me?” Jongin asks with a smile that won’t fade, “Did you, hyung?”

“Of course,” Yixing stammers, “It’s true.”

Minseok throws his head back and laughs, “So, when do you find out that you’re accepted?”

Jongin blushes, “They’re having a meeting with each of the competitors tomorrow so that’s when I find out if I get accepted. I go back tomorrow morning at nine.”

“Oh please,” Minseok shakes his head, “Guaranteed you’re in. I haven’t heard compliments like that about anyone’s dancing from Yixing before. If he’s impressed, then the judges are too.”

“Or he’s blinded by love.” Chanyeol pipes in while cleaning down a nearby table and Yixing shoots him a glare.

“Oh, hush, Chanyeolie.” Baekhyun says as he takes the taller’s arm, “Stop teasing.”

The night ends with drunken giggles back at their apartment. Jongin stumbles over his feet, unlike the way he had while dancing gracefully on the stage that morning, and pushes Yixing past the door in the process. Yixing chuckles with amusement as he fumbles with the keys and gives up, dropping them on the floor while pushing himself against Jongin and kissing him furiously.

Desperate hands tugs on Yixing’s shirt before it’s thrown to the floor somewhere, and then Yixing is ing Jongin’s shirt before he pulls it out of Jongin’s nice trousers from where it was tucked in previously. They shed their clothing as the giggle and bump into things through the hallway and until they’re nestled away in their bed. The wooden frame creaks and sometimes the headboard hits the wall while they kiss each other, but like this, a little tipsy and lost in love, they don’t really care.

Jongin wakes up first the next morning, finally feeling a little more sober and realizing exactly how anxious he is to receive the results, only to find himself unable to move. He’s stricken by the peaceful sleeping face next to his and the way Yixing’s soft hair falls against the white of the pillow and the way his lips part gently for each inhale and exhale. He watches the way that Yixing’s chest rises and falls as he breathes and the way he he’s curled in on himself, sleeping with the blanket bundled in his arms. And, suddenly, Jongin starts to cry, because he realizes that if he gets this scholarship, then he’s going to have to spend a year without this beautiful person by his side.

As if Yixing knew something was wrong, he stirs in his sleep and blinks his eyes open to look up at Jongin groggily, “What’s wrong?” he asks, but his voice is hoarse from sleep.

“Nothing,” Jongin assures as he frantically wipes at his eyes so that Yixing can’t see the tears, “Nothing is wrong, hyung.”

Yixing smiles sleepily before he reaches for Jongin with his arms open wide and Jongin smiles then too and curls into his hyung’s warmth. He wonders what life will be like when he’s stuck, far away, and living on his own for a year. His heart constricts inside of his chest and a part of him hopes that he fails the audition, especially when Yixing leans up to whisper in his ear, ‘I love you.’

It’s 9:59 am and Jongin paces nervously in the waiting room. He had arrived early for the meeting with the judges and Yixing has bought him some green tea on the way to try and calm his nerves, but that didn’t seem to be helping. He still thanked his hyung graciously and kissed him again and again for the sweet gesture. As he drains the last bit of his tea, Jongin finally sits down on one of the soft seats in the room.

He’s the only one there in the room and half of him is wondering where the other competitors are and the other half is wondering if he should’ve taken Yixing with him. Jongin shakes his head and crumples up the cup that the tea had been in before tossing it into the trashcan. He recalls the uncertain look on Yixing’s face when he told him that he wanted to go alone. Yixing had nodded in understanding, but Jongin felt terrible for saying he’d rather be alone. This was a test, just to see how he could handle being by himself. He wasn’t faring very well, not at all.

“Kim Jongin?” The voice of a secretary startles him from his thoughts and he rises onto his feet immediately. The woman smiles, “Go on in, honey, and take a seat. The judges will be with you momentarily.”

The next two minutes are possibly the longest of Jongin’s life as he counts all the tiles in the ceiling, miscounts and starts again while he waits. The judges suddenly file in and take a seat at the long table across from him. Jongin stands as soon as they enter and bows to them before one of the older women smiles and tells him to take a seat.

“I have a lot of things that I’d like to say to you, Kim Jongin.” A young man says as he enters the room in a nice suit, “And they’re all good.”

❦❦❦

Yixing waits anxiously at the culture centre’s cafe, drinking possibly his third cup of green tea, trying to convince himself that it’s going to help the anxiety, but nothing is quite doing it for him. They had arrived so early and no one else was here yet and it was making him worried. He takes another sip of the tea, letting the taste of jasmine roll over his tongue and seep down his throat. It’s half calming at least.

He’s been sitting in the small cafe for almost forty minutes and, by now, all of the ladies working behind the counter know that his boyfriend is on the fifth floor for a meeting with the prestigious dancers that held their tryouts just yesterday. They’re all insisting that Yixing has nothing to worry over and they keep offering him cookies and other such sweets, which he sheepishly accepts due to politeness, because he’s sure if he were to actually eat anything right now, he’d throw up.

A hand falls onto Yixing’s shoulder, knocking him from his thoughts and he jumps when he notices that it’s Jongin. Jongin is standing there with a nervous smile twitching at the corners of his lips and Yixing just knows by looking at his boyfriend, without any words, that he’s in. Kim Jongin has won the scholarship and Zhang Yixing is the proudest boyfriend on the face of the planet. They embrace and they kiss and the ladies behind the counter start cheering, because they can tell what a kiss like that one means.

“I’m going to France, Yixing…” Jongin says slowly after their lips part from one another, “I’m going to study ballet in Paris, France.” he says it like it’s the most unbelievable thing in the world.

“I’m so proud,” Yixing says and he chokes on his words, because he knows he’s about to cry, “So very proud of you.”

“Don’t cry, hyung,” Jongin whispers softly, but Yixing can see the tears forming in his eyes too so he reaches to wipe them, “It’s only nine months.”

“Only nine?” Yixing asks through the tears as he cups Jongin’s face in his shaking hands, “Nine months isn’t so bad…”

“We can do this, hyung, nine months apart is nothing.” Jongin assures, but his heart feels like it’s breaking, “I promise we can do this.”

Yixing smiles even though he’s crying, “Of course we can… Together.”

“This is going to work, hyung.” Jongin says again, “We’re going to make it work.” his voice is soft and it cracks on the tears, but Jongin wholly believes what he’s saying. And so does Yixing.

❦❦❦

On the eve of Jongin’s departure, Minseok sees it fit to hold a going away party in his honour at the cafe. Everyone is, of course, invited. It sort of feels like New Year’s Eve all over again, only it isn’t so cold and this time, Yixing knows that when he wakes up in the morning, Jongin would be getting ready to get on a plane and fly to Paris. That, he decides, will not put a damper on his last night with his boyfriend until the next year.

Chanyeol taps the mic one, two, three times to get everyone’s attention and clears his throat, “Are you guys ready to move?!” he nearly screams into the mic and everyone cries back a slurred ‘yes,’ because they’re all drunk enough at this point to be having a good time, losing their inhibitions.

Jongin is in a similar state when he grabs Yixing and pulls him to the dancefloor. They grind against one another until Sehun squeezes between them and tells them how obscene their dancing is. He practically yells at them it get a room and so they do, taking to the bathroom in the back and being rather loud. Minseok blushes and chuckles before reaching over to turn up the stereo system so that no one would hear them. A muffled, “Hyung, yes, more,” makes it out before that point and Chanyeol puts on a sly grin before announcing that Jongin and Yixing are ‘getting some D action.’

Yixing and Jongin hear the announcement and giggle into each other’s mouths. Drunk Jongin and Yixing don’t really care if people know what they’re doing in the bathroom, but sober Jongin and Yixing would be severely embarrassed and probably refuse to come out later on until everyone is gone. However, this is drunk Jongin and Yixing, so when they’re both done and each looking thoroughly ed up, they come back out of the room with grins plastered on their faces and Minseok can only shake his head while laughing.

Half way through the night, Luhan arrives with a small, awkward smile on his face. He’s entirely sober, but he couldn’t pass up saying goodbye to one of his now closest friends. He hugs Jongin who is starting to sober up now, but he’s still a bit tipsy so he hangs onto Luhan for dear life when they embrace. Yixing snickers and pulls his boyfriend off of a startled Luhan who hands tipsy Jongin a gift that gets tossed onto the mountain of other gifts in the corner of the room.

“I didn’t think we’d see you here,” Yixing shouts over the bass of a new song.

Luhan shrugs, “I was invited and I wanted to say goodbye to Jongin too.” he reasons, but he looks from the corner of his eyes and he sees Minseok standing behind the bar where a tall guy is chatting up a storm with him, but Minseok isn’t paying attention, because his eyes are locked on Luhan.

“Go say hello at least,” Yixing whispers in Luhan’s ear.

Luhan sighs, “He looks occupied.”

“That’s just Changmin,” Jongin shouts, “He’s a transfer student from America and he’s friends with Chanyeol. He likes to talk, but don’t worry, he’s not flirting. He’s got a girl back home and he’s definitely straight.”

Yixing makes a weird face, “How do you know that?”

Jongin shrugs, “He really likes to talk.” he says before taking a sip from the beer bottle he’s got in his hands.

“Just go,” Yixing urges, pushing Luhan gently towards the bar, “He’s not drunk like us,” he giggles, “Besides, he’d definitely like to talk to you.”

Luhan frowns and stumbles towards Minseok who looks up at Changmin suddenly and says something to him before Changmin laughs and takes his beer with him and walking away. Minseok looks back at Luhan who is slowly making his way over to the bar and bites his bottom lip, nervously. Luhan looks so handsome, as always, but having not seen him in so long, Minseok’s heart starts to beat violently in his chest.

Luhan clears his throat awkwardly when he reaches the counter, “Hey.”

“Luhan,” Minseok breathes out and then he’s reaching his hands across the bar, grabbing Luhan by the collar of his shirt and leaning over the sticky surface so that he’s got his lips pressed against Luhan’s, “Hi.” he whispers against his lips.

“Minseok,” Luhan sighs softly before he’s kissing Minseok back, his fingers tangling into the barista’s hair and pulling him closer.

Jongin slinks up behind Yixing and kisses his shoulder, “I told you they’d make up.”

Yixing jumps at the contact and chuckles when he realizes it’s just Jongin, “More like make out.”

“They belong together,” Sehun slurs coming out of nowhere with a giggling Krystal on his arm and gesturing to Minseok and Luhan who are now standing facing each other, blushes adorning their faces and lips moving crazily, both of them with far too much to say, “Luhan wouldn’t shut up about Minseok whenever we were together. And vice versa.”

“Took them long enough,” Krystal smiles and her eyes turn into little crescents, “I’m happy that they’re happy.”

“You’re always happy.” Sehun points out and Krystal gently slaps his side, her engagement ring glistening in the glow of the strobelights.

Everyone laughs and the night comes to an end with cheers and toasts and more champagne. Jongin’s hand searches for Yixing’s in the crowd and he finds it easily before they step out into the night and hail a taxi. As they sit in the backseat and head home, they both get this feeling that no matter how far away they are from each other, when they reach out to find each other, they will always be greeted warmly by another hand. No matter what.

❦❦❦

5 months later…

“The video is really dark, hyung.” Jongin’s voice comes from the speakers of Yixing’s laptop.

“Hold on,” Yixing laughs and he reaches up to turn on the lamp next to his bed, “Better?”

“There you are!” Jongin grins, “Are you in bed?”

Yixing nods, “I am. It’s still early, but I’m so sore from practice today.”

“I wish I was there,” Jongin says and he covers his mouth with his hand, “I’m sorry, I can’t help it.” he says and it comes out muffled and staticy on Yixing’s laptop.

“It’s okay, Jonginnie, I wish you were here too.” he sighs and looks at the empty side of the bed next to him and wonders when how many more days until there’s a sleeping Jongin laying next to him again.

“I miss you.” Jongin blurts, “A lot, hyung.”

“I miss you too.” Yixing admits, “It’s not the same in the apartment without you.”

Jongin almost snorts, “I can imagine. Must be quieter.”

“Not really,” Yixing shrugs, “Minseok and Luhan come over a lot because they think I need the company.” he scrunches up his nose, “They end up kissing a lot of the time on the couch when we’re supposed to be watching movies together. I almost liked them better when they weren’t dating at all.”

Jongin barks out in laughter and Yixing quickly turns down the volume, “I’ll be sure to tell them that when I see them again.”

“Hey!” Yixing laughs, “Some boyfriend you are.”

“I love you, hyung,” Jongin giggles.

“I love you too.” Yixing smiles and it gets quiet for a second before he decides to fill the painful silence, “Sehun and Krystal picked a date for their wedding already.”

“Sehun texted me this morning!” Jongin raises his phone and opens up the message, “I’ll be back for it then, in the spring. He’s asked me to be his best man too.”

“He told me,” Yixing smiles, “He told me he wouldn’t have anyone else.”

Jongin chuckles, “I heard from Jongdae that Donghae and Eunhyuk still invited you to their wedding?”

Yixing nods, “They did. It took a while, but we finally made up. I’d rather be on good terms with him than not at all, you know?”

Jongin smiles, “I know, hyung, I’m glad. So, are you going to go?”

Yixing shakes his head, “I don’t think so. I wouldn’t have a date.”

“I’ll be your date.” Jongin smiles, but then he sighs, “I would be your date.”

“It’s alright,” Yixing is quick to reassure, “I probably wouldn’t go anyway. Things might be okay between me and Donghae, but I don’t want to make Eunhyuk uncomfortable.”

“Mm,” Jongin hums, “You’re so sweet, hyung.”

Yixing yawns, “Thanks, Jonginnie.”

“Tired?”

“Yeah.”

“Should I let you go then?”

Yixing sighs, “Is that alright?”

“Of course!” Jongin exclaims, “I want you to be well rested. I heard that there’s a huge production coming up soon?”

“Something like that.” Yixing shrugs, “Apparently there’s some important people coming from around the world to watch this upcoming performance and they’re looking for dancers to travel all over Asia with their center in Gangnam.”

“One of my coaches will be there too,” Jongin says and yawns, because Yixing is yawning again and it’s extremely contagious, “I actually told him about you and he says he knows your name. I think you guys went to school together or something?”

“Oh,” Yixing thinks for a moment and shrugs, “I don’t really remember many people I went to school with. Don’t tell him that though.”

Jongin laughs, “I won’t, I won’t. You should go to sleep, hyung. You look so tired.”

“Okay, you don’t have to tell me twice. I’m dropping here.”

“I love you, Yixing.” Jongin smiles and the words are so sincere even with the static that follows them on Yixing’s speaker, “Sleep tight.”

“I love you too, Jongin.” Yixing grins sleepily, “Good luck at practice.”

Jongin is reluctant to end the call, but he finally manages to hit the ‘end’ button with a sigh. He looks up from his laptop and the clock reads that it’s almost three in the afternoon, which means practice starts soon. He sighs and shoves his laptop aside on his dorm room bed and then shuffles to the door so he can start his trek to the dance rooms on the other side of the campus. When he enters, he’s greeted by the friends he’s come to know since his arrival, but even as he begins to dance their newest routine, he can’t help but feel like this dream is nothing without Yixing by his side.

❦❦❦

“There they are.” Luhan says as he points to the crowd from a backroom somewhere in the cultural centre, “They’re the group that’s going to base their company in Gangnam. Boa is in the process of joining their council so we’ll officially be part of their company by the end of this year.”

“This is so exciting!” Krystal exclaims, “I heard that they train their dancers in figure skating too. And a lot of their gymnasts have gone on to the olympics.”

“You would be excited,” Sehun murmurs, giving her cheek a little peck.

Yixing laughs and scans the crowd again, trying to get a good look at the faces of the company members. He sees Boa take a seat next to one of the men and she smiles charmingly at one of the younger men in the row, nearly making the poor guy melt. Yixing snorts and decides that if he did go to school with one of those men out there, then he definitely doesn’t remember him, because none of them look familiar.

The show goes well without so much of a hitch, but that was to be expected. Boa had been working the company to put off an amazing show for months now and with this performance, they’re guaranteed a spot amongst the new company. Boa is so proud of them that he pays for their night out, tossing her credit card to Luhan and tell him that he’s in charge or paying for everyone and then bringing the card back tomorrow morning straight away. Luhan and the rest of the company are eager to comply, but before Yixing can leave with the rest of them, Boa requests his presence in a meeting room.

“One of the council members wants you to be on the travelling team once the company gets their base situated in Gangnam.” Boa says as she takes him to the meeting room, “He really likes you, Yixing. He spoke about you as if he knew who you were.”

Yixing smiles, this must be the person he went to school with he decides, “And he wants me to travel all of Asia with the rest of the company’s travelling ballet dancers?”

Boa nods, “He wants to talk with you about it. He’s waiting right inside there. This is it, Yixing. It’s your chance to get back out there and make a name for yourself again. The right way, this time.” she smiles and squeezes his shoulder, “This is going to be good for you.”

When Yixing pushes open the door, Boa’s words still ringing in his ears, he’s surprised by the sight that greets him. He clears his throat and enters the room and Taemin smiles as he turns from the window displaying the city lights of Seoul.

“Wow,” Taemin breathes, “Zhang Yixing. I never thought I’d see you again.”

Yixing chokes, “Taemin? Lee Taemin?”

Taemin laughs, “The one and only.”

Yixing’s mouth falls slack, because Taemin is that last person he ever expected to see and he wonders briefly if this is just some strange dream that he’s about to wake up from. And if not, he wonders if his parents are about to walk through the door behind him. He takes a quick look over his shoulder and then looks directly at Taemin who grins wide.

“You look good.” Taemin says, holding out a glass of red wine, “Drink?”

Yixing accepts it sheepishly, “Thank you. You don’t look so bad yourself.”

Taemin laughs, “It’s been so long… Too long. You should’ve won that scholarship all those years ago, you know.”

Yixing chokes partially on the sip of wine he’d taken and swallows it down hard, “You won fair and square.” he insists, looking anywhere in the room, but at Taemin.

Taemin shakes his head, “You were supposed to win, but that incident… I was so worried for you, you know. I turned down their offer of the scholarship too. I wanted to come see you in the hospital, but I was turned away by your Father.”

“What?” Yixing flounders ungracefully, “Why are you telling me this?”

Taemin shrugs, “I thought it was time we got that out of the way. It’s been eating at me, that I never got to find you and that we never really got to be friends. I had a huge crush on you,” he laughs and takes a sip of his wine, “It’s embarrassing really, how much I liked you. I brought flowers to all of your recitals and left them anonymously and everything.”

Yixing blushes, “You did?”

“I did,” Taemin confirms, “You were just, everything I wanted to be.”

Yixing gasps, “Are you joking? I wanted to be you!”

Taemin chokes then on his wine and sputters nonsense, “Me?”

“Yes! You!” Yixing exclaims in exasperation and it gets uncomfortably silent between the two of them until suddenly Taemin starts to chuckle and then they’re both laughing uncontrollably.

“You’re dating Jongin, Kim Jongin, right?” Taemin asks after they’ve settled down and they’re sitting across from one another in the meeting space.

Yixing nods, “Jongin is one of your students.”

“He’s extremely talented.” Taemin says as he pours another glass of wine for the both of them.

“I know,” Yixing says proudly and Taemin grins.

“I’m married, myself, to a man named Jonghyun.” Taemin smiles and taps the gold band around his left ring finger, “I met him shortly after you disappeared. He helped me cope losing a friend like you and through a lot of things actually. We got married two years ago.”

“Congratulations!” Yixing exclaims, because he’s actually quite happy for Taemin.

He thought seeing Taemin like this right now would be terrible and bring up memories he didn’t want, but this was unexpected. He wonders what life would have been like if he’d just trusted Taemin and had been friends with him in the first place. He stills thinks he would’ve found Jongin somehow and that they would be happy. He also thinks that Jonghyun would still have found his way to Taemin and they’d be married too. No matter how Yixing pictures the world, he thinks that things have ended the way that they’re supposed to and that there’s no alternate universe where anything would ever be different. Jongin would always be Jongin and Yixing would always be Yixing and they would always have a special connection. Like soulmates.

Taemin and Yixing leave that night on good terms and with a plan for the future. Taemin explains that the travelling group starts training after the new year and that several of his students will be offered jobs with the new company, including Jongin. Yixing is ecstatic to hear that news and wants to be the first to tell Jongin, but Taemin insists that they keep it a secret until Jongin has, at the very least, graduated.

“The first tour is being lined up for next year starting in September. Our first stop is in Thailand and then we’re going to Vietnam for another performance. It’s going to be exciting.” Taemin smiles, “We’re going to bring dance from all around the world to the world. Starting with Asia and then, next we’re hoping to tackle Europe.”

“Europe,” Yixing sighs dreamily, “Now that’s a goal.”

“We’re considering offering you a position as one of the head dancers, Yixing.” Taemin says suddenly, “Tell me that you’ll accept?”

Yixing’s smile stretches across his face, “Of course.”

❦❦❦

Life takes all manners of twists and turns, Yixing discovers.

Minseok and Luhan are engaged and surprise Yixing with the news on a lazy Sunday afternoon before they both argue over who gets Yixing as the best man. They settle by playing a round or two of ‘rock paper scissors,’ but, eventually, even that’s not good enough as a deciding factor. Sehun officially settles the dispute when he drops by later to ask how the pastries are coming along for his wedding and offers his services as best man to Minseok who grins and nods a little too enthusiastically.

Taemin introduces Yixing to Jonghyun who is all too excited to meet him. He shakes his hand animatedly and he’s a striking contrast to everything that Taemin is - soft and quiet. Where Taemin is a ballet dancer, Jonghyun takes to the underground scene of dance and works as producer by day. He’s also more excitable and loud, but Yixing figures that opposites really do attract, in this case especially, because the way that the two look at each other is nothing short of true love. They become friends easily and both Yixing and Jonghyun are grateful to have each other around when Taemin goes back to France to continue teaching the dancers there.

“Everyone seems to be getting married these days.” Yixing says with a small laugh when he meets up with Jonghyun for their weekly ‘replacement boyfriend/husband dates’ that Taemin and Jongin have arranged for them.

“Comes with age,” Jonghyun says with a grin as Baekhyun brings them their coffees.

“What does?” The young barista inquires and Jonghyun laughs, patting him on the back.

“Commitment.” Yixing says with a chuckle, “When are you and Chanyeol tying the knot?”

Baekhyun’s entire face flushes red, “As if. Chanyeol is gross.”

“Love you too!” Chanyeol calls from the counter and that earns him a couple laughs from the regular customers who have come to know Chanyeol and Baekhyun’s relationship perhaps a little too well.

“Who is it now?” Jonghyun asks with a laugh, “Who’s getting married now?”

Yixing sighs and waves his hand around, “Jongdae and Yifan have decided on a date for their wedding now too.”

“Took them long enough to pick a date though.” Jonghyun huffs, “I feel like I’ve been waiting forever since I found out and I’ve only really known them for a few months.”

Yixing nods, “You’re right. They move at their own pace.”

“They need to pick it up a bit,” Jonghyun says dryly, “By the time they get married, it’ll be the end of the world.” He says flatly before cracking up with laughter.

This is how Yixing spends his days before he knows that Jongin will return. He occupies all of his time that he’s not spent talking with Jongin via Skype, KakaoTalk, Line, SnapChat and FaceTime by distracting himself with his ridiculous friends. If he’s not helping Sehun plan his wedding or hanging out with the troublemakers, Luhan and Minseok, or coaching his underground dance team, or teasing Baekhyun and Chanyeol about their relationship, then he’s with Jonghyun - the only other person who understands what he’s going through.

But time is ticking down and Jongin has graduate with first class honours and has been presented with so many awards, that Yixing can hardly keep up. All he really knows when Jongin gets on the phone with him, excitedly yammering away about school being over and his plans for when he gets home, is exactly that - the fact that Jongin is coming home. It was nine long months, but they did it. Together. Like they said that they would.

Yixing is dancing in Boa’s old studio which is being leased out to a children’s ballet group that Yixing coaches in his spare time when he’s not busy planning the new company’s Asia tour, when it happens. He turns in a pirouette and lands perfectly, soundlessly, as always. He grins at himself in the mirror, his chest heaving when he hears someone clapping and he stumbles from his position only to catch himself on the bar attached to the mirror.

“Where’d you learn to dance like that?” It’s a familiar voice, one that he knows all too well - one that he wasn’t expecting to hear for another week.

“Jongin!” Yixing exclaims as he spins around to face his boyfriend.

“Hi, hyung.” Jongin grins before he runs into Yixing’s arms and kisses him full on the lips, “I’ve missed you.”

“Jongin,” Yixing starts, but his voice cracks and he begins to cry, “You’re here. Jongin, you’re really here.”

Jongin nods, “I am, hyung,” he whispers, voice wavering, “And I’m never going to leave you again.”

Yixing nuzzles his face into Jongin’s neck, “Promise?”

“I can do more than that, hyung,” Jongin says slowly before he backs away from Yixing and drops onto one knee.

“J-Jongin, what are you-” Yixing stammers, but he stops mid-sentence when Jongin produces a ring from his pocket, “Jongin.” he gasps in astonishment and starts to sob.

“I’ve been waiting so long for this,” Jongin breathes, “I should have asked a long time ago. Zhang Yixing, my reason for smiling, my reason for dancing, my reason for living this life,” he bites his bottom lip nervously, “Will you marry me?”

Yixing doesn’t respond. He doesn’t have the words to respond, so he just throws himself at Jongin who catches him easily and indulges him in a kiss that goes from innocent to steamy so very quickly. Yixing presses Jongin up against the mirror and kisses along his jawline, pulling at the hem of his hoodie. Jongin responds by lolling his head back and whining. It’s been so long since they’ve been together and touching like this, physically being with each other after nine months, Yixing needs this more than he thought. And by the feeling of it, Jongin does too.

“Hyung, hyung,” Jongin whines and desperately bucks forward, “Make love to me, hyung, please.” he gasps as Yixing kisses his neck, gently scraping his teeth over the sensitive skin.

“Home,” Yixing says breathlessly, “Home first.”

The restless drive from the studio to their apartment isn’t enough to deter the two from their plans even when the taxi driver eyes them suspiciously. It doesn’t take long for them to rush to their apartment either and get to the bedroom in possibly record time. Yixing slams the door before attacking Jongin’s lips, leaving fervent kisses everywhere on his skin and it burns Jongin up on the inside to be touched like this again. Every little touch sends his nerve-endings into overdrive and leaves a trail of fire under his skin.

“Please, Yixing-hyung,” Jongin gasps when the elder pushes him onto the bed, “Please,” he whines again as he s his hips upward when Yixing settles on top of him.

“Jongin-ah,” Yixing whispers against his lips, “Is this what you want?” and Jongin nods desperately and it's all the incentive that Yixing requires to mesh their lips together in a passionate kiss.

That night, Yixing teaches Jongin how to dance in a new way in which the bed’s the stage and Yixing and Jongin are in the spotlight of each other’s eyes. It starts adagio - slowly and sensually while rolling hips in tandem. Teasingly, languidly fingers and lips trailing over warm skin until one of them gasps for more. Allegro and suddenly the s of hips speeds and fists curl their way into sheets while fingertips dig into the bronze coloured waist beneath their touch leaving purple flourishes in their wake. Their graceful movements are flawless, perfect and wistful. The body curves with each press as they hit new places, backs arching delicately as if performing a temps de poisson and it’s like no ballet ever before. They sway together, a bravura for two where Yixing is the support and Jongin needs him to help guide, because he’s so lost in the feeling of it all. They come to their finalé and everything about it is beautiful - the way Jongin’s mind goes blank and gasps out Yixing’s name and how Yixing growls in response, covering Jongin in white bliss.

It’s the perfect grand pas de deux made just for the two of them. A performance for their eyes only. And when Yixing collapses by Jongin’s side, they curl into each other whispering sweet words of their affection. Now, they dance on the center stage of each other’s hearts for the same reason - the same reason that they’ve always danced in each other’s hearts.

“I love you, Yixing,” Jongin pants into the elder’s ear as he wraps his arms around Yixing’s waist and nuzzles his face into the juncture between Yixing’s neck and his shoulder, “I love you so much.” he mumbles and the warm breath and soft lips against his skin makes Yixing laugh.

“I love you too,” he whispers, his chest heaving as he threads fingers through Jongin’s hair so that the younger looks up at him with awe-filled eyes. A smile spreads on Yixing’s face at the sight and Jongin smiles too, because Yixing’s smile is beautiful.

Everything he does is beautiful, because it’s Zhang Yixing.

And Kim Jongin loves him for it.

This is officially the end of Grand Pas de Deux! See the next chapter for everything else I'd like to say ^^ ~