Six.

Grand Pas de Deux

6.

The spring air is pleasant and warm as Yixing exits the dance studio with all intentions of going home and having a nice meal before tonight. He smiles bright when the sun beams down at him with a friendly glow and as soon as he takes a step down the first stair, he hears a voice. He doesn’t need to turn around to know who that voice belongs to, but he turns anyway, because that voice is calling out his name.

“Yes, Jongin?”

“Yixing-hyung,” Jongin smiles and it’s all sugary sweet, “Where are you going? I thought we would have another lesson today.”

Yixing blinks dumbfounded at Jongin, because he’s still trying to get used to this change, “Today is Wednesday.”

“Yes?” Jongin his head to the side in slight confusion, “And?”

“I can’t. You should know why,” Yixing turns away and sighs rather heavily, “You followed me there once.”

Jongin blinks several times slightly taken aback by Yixing’s words, because he had known that he followed him that night so long ago. He wonders why Yixing has never said anything about it before, why he didn’t get mad at him when he realized he was being stalked and why it was that Yixing-hyung is so… He wracks his brain for a word and decides the only thing he can think of is ‘cool,' which feels lame considering how old they both are.

“Can I go with you?” Jongin blurts before he can stop his mouth from moving. He knows that’s not something he should be asking, because it’s part of Yixing’s private life and, well, much to his dismay, he is not part of that life.

Yixing snorts, “I’m surprised you’re asking this time.”

“Hyung,” Jongin whines suddenly and it makes Yixing blush just a tiny bit, “Can I please go?”

“Jongin,” Yixing sighs and looks over his shoulder at the boy, but he won’t meet Yixing’s eyes like he’s some child asking their parent for something. He sighs again, “Fine.” The way that Jongin’s eyes sparkle when that word slips past Yixing’s lips makes him blush furiously as the boy keeps in time with his steps.

This is how it all starts. Jongin trying to make his way into Yixing’s life, because he wants to be there, wants Yixing to want him too. And it almost genuinely seems like Yixing does want him there when he asks one day why Jongin isn’t following him so closely anymore. It makes Jongin blush and giddy when Yixing touches his shoulder, it’s a firm and gentle hold as he guides him towards the shower room.

“Are you busy tonight?” Yixing asks after they’ve showered.

Jongin thinks for a moment before shaking his head, “No, hyung, why?”

Yixing huffs, “I was just wondering if you might want to grab a coffee-” Jongin makes a weird face at the word and Yixing stops mid sentence before interjecting a, “Never mind.”

“Wait, no!” Jongin panics, because he’s pretty sure this was Yixing asking him out on a date, maybe, and he doesn’t want to miss a chance to be with Yixing just a little longer today, “I… I like coffee.” he almost cringes.

“No, you don’t.” Yixing sighs, “I’ll see you tomorrow.” he says as he closes his locker shut.

“Yixing,” Jongin gasps as his hand makes contact with Yixing’s wrist and they both wince.

Yixing looks like he wants to slink away, because this is the first time that Jongin’s touched him since the slap, all other times it was Yixing doing the touching. Jongin feels his heart come up in his throat, because Yixing’s skin is so soft and he doesn’t want to let go, but he knows he probably should. He doesn’t. He lets his hand fall further down so that he’s holding Yixing’s in his own.

“Please, I want to go with you…” Jongin’s cheeks are changing colour so fast that Yixing finds it almost endearing. He loses himself and lets his fingers entwine with Jongin’s while his heart pounds in his chest.

“Ok.” Is all Yixing says before he leads them out of the studio, passing Krystal and Sehun on their way.

Krystal and Sehun look at each other then back at Yixing and Jongin. Krystal opens to speak as they pass, but she doesn’t say anything, just stares. She looks back up at Sehun, who’s looking down at her with his eyebrows raised and mouth agape. They’re both looking exceptionally as confused as the other.

“Were they holding hands…?” Krystal asks slowly after a minute or two of silence has passed them by.

Sehun nods in disbelief, “They’re holding hands…”

They blink at each other and then stare at the door that Jongin and Yixing had left through for another few minutes before a fellow dancer startles them from their trance, asking what it is that they’re looking at exactly. They have no answers to give and instead part ways to their respective shower rooms.

❦❦❦

Jongin hates coffee. If there’s anything he’s vowed to never ingest into his system again, it’s that poisonous liquid. So when he enters the little coffee shop and a flash of disgust crosses his face, Yixing sighs and squeezes his hand (that Yixing only just realizes he’s still holding for some reason) before telling him he can go if he wants to. Jongin squeezes Yixing’s hand back and shakes his head as his eyes scan the board of drinks available.

“I’m staying with you, hyung.” Jongin says shyly as his eyes land on the words, ‘hot chocolate’ making a smile tug at the corners of his lips, because that means he doesn’t have to drink coffee and he can stay with his hyung, which seems to be the only thing that matters to him at this point.

“Yixing,” Minseok smiles and leans across the counter, resting his elbows on the surface in his typical fashion, before settling his chin in his palms and splaying his fingers across his cheeks, “What can I get for you today?”

Yixing quickly shakes his hand away from Jongin’s and it makes the younger frown when he loses that warmth. He opts to stick his hands in his pockets so he can keep that heat - his fingers are lonely without Yixing’s between them. When he finally looks up from his feet, he finds that Minseok and Yixing have engaged in quite a long conversation and they look close. Definitely closer than he is with Yixing, and he’s suddenly jealous again.

“Hyung,” Jongin says softly, moving closer to Yixing and it grabs the elder’s attention.

“Who’s this?” Minseok asks, eyes curving into crescents as he extends a hand towards the boy.

Jongin lifts his hand slowly from his pocket to engage in the handshake before Yixing says, “Kim Jongin,” and suddenly Minseok’s hand drops and he stops smiling. His eyes are suddenly a little wider and his mouth forms a perfect little ‘o’ shape that makes Jongin realize that Minseok has heard his name already. Minseok, this barista, knows who he is, because Yixing has spoken of him before. And by the look of absolute surprise on his face, none of those things that Yixing has said could’ve been any good.

“N-Nice to meet you,” Jongin stutters before letting his hand drop to his side, he’s pretty sure his cheeks are flaming red.

“What are you two doing this evening…?” Minseok asks slowly as if he’s not sure he’s saying the right words, because it’s not often his best friend walks into his coffee shop with the person he’s always thought hated Yixing the most straggling behind and being friendly with each other.

Yixing rubs at his temples and Jongin waits in anticipation, because this little get together hasn’t been defined as anything yet exactly and he’s hoping that maybe this is a date, “I’m trying to figure out Jongin’s reason to dance, to help him get better.”

Jongin’s heart sinks to the pit of his stomach and Minseok nods in apprehension, “Oh, I see.” he still sounds a little unsure and so Yixing smiles one of those beautiful dimpled smiles of his and Jongin wonders if one will ever be directed towards him ever again.

“He asked me for lessons and so I’m teaching.” Yixing explains with a small, awkward laugh, “I thought it would be nice to do it in a comfortable place, and of course your cafe came to mind.”

Jongin’s jaw almost drops, “You own this place?” he thinks Minseok looks way too young to be a business operator.

Minseok nods, “Just opened a few months ago.” he says this with a shy smile before a very tall man dressed in similar clothing as Minseok’s comes up behind him.

“Baekhyun says he’s going to be late,” the man looks a little sheepish as he speaks, “But I have an evening class today, so I need to leave…”

“Ah,” Minseok chuckles, “Yes, of course. We’re slow tonight anyway, Chanyeol. Go on ahead. And tell your boyfriend to hurry up.”

Boyfriend,” Chanyeol coughs in embarrassment, “He’s not-” Minseok raises an eyebrow before Chanyeol’s face reddens to match the colour of his hair, “I’ll tell him you said to be quick.” he mumbles before disappearing into the back somewhere.

Minseok snorts with laughter, “I should get back to work then. Can I get you guys anything?”

“I’ll have a caramel macchiato and… Jongin?” Yixing looks to see Jongin looking at him, lips slightly parted and face flushed red, “Are you feeling alright?”

Jongin clears his throat and nods, hoping that Yixing fails to realize that Jongin has been daydreaming about him for the past five minutes, “I’ll have a hot chocolate.” he confirms with Minseok before they slip away from the counter to wait in the big comfy chairs by the fireplace - Yixing’s favourite spot, Jongin learns.

A few minutes of silence pass between them, Yixing is staring at the fake fire blazing and Jongin is focused on the way that Yixing keeps his lips. He wonders, briefly, what Yixing’s lips would taste like and almost has in mind to find out, when suddenly Minseok walks between the two chairs.

“Excuse me there, Jongin,” Minseok says politely, and Jongin realizes he’s leaning over the armrest of his chair and inching closer to Yixing by the second.

Jongin retreats quickly and looks away from either of the two friends, becoming increasingly interested in his hands. Minseok and Yixing speak for a while and there’s a pang of jealousy crawling back into Jongin as he hears their exchange of words. He tries to ignore it by reaching out to pick up his cup of hot chocolate. It’s all warm and foamed at the top. The colour matches Yixing’s hair, he notes as he blows a breath over the top of it, watching the rising steam dance around at the sudden disturbance. A ripple rolls across the creamy chocolate drink and a few marshmallows bob just beneath - he his lips before bringing the cup to his mouth.

Jongin, careful!” Yixing gasps and reaches out to still Jongin’s hand who is now staring at Yixing wide-eyed, “You’ll burn your tongue if you don’t wait long enough.” he explains and lets go of Jongin’s wrist, turning back to look at Minseok who is watching with a childlike curiosity.

Minseok smiles slightly, lips turning upwards just mildly in the corners before he turns to attend to the counter. Chanyeol is leaving and someone needs to cover all the customers until Baekhyun arrives. Even then, Minseok thinks he’d better leave these two alone, because if there’s anything he’s figured out since they arrived, it’s that Jongin and Yixing like each other. A lot. He’s not sure if either party knows this yet, but he concludes that they’ll figure it soon.

Jongin and Yixing sit there for a while, absorbing themselves in their drinks and small talk. Jongin learns a lot about Yixing and he’s surprised to discover that they have a lot more in common than he thought that they would. At one point, they both break out into a fit of laughter and it makes Minseok look over the top of the dessert cabinet to try and see what it is that they’re doing, but they’re just laughing and smiling and Minseok doesn’t remember the last time Yixing was this happy to be with anyone other than himself and Luhan. Or perhaps Donghae when he was still around. He smiles to himself before going back to work.

“How did you know you wanted to be a dancer, Jongin?” Yixing asks suddenly, looking up from his mostly empty cup.

Jongin shifts and looks into his cup and frowns at the lack of the delicously chocolate substance, “I can barely remember…”

“Liar,” Yixing says it lightly, in jest, “You know the exact moment you knew that this was what you wanted to do. Go ahead, tell me then. That must be your reason for dancing after all.”

“Ah,” Jongin lets out a breathless laugh, “You got me…” he takes a deep breath and smiles then upon the memory resurfacing, “I must’ve been twelve years old…”

‘Jongin, let’s go.’ his Mother was tapping her foot impatiently on the ground as her son clambered down the stairs.

He pouted as he reached the bottom all dressed in his suit and tie, pulling at the constricting fabric around his neck. He plopped himself down onto the bottom step as his mother brought forth his polished, black shoes. Jongin almost groaned out loud as she did, but kept it to himself under his Mother’s gaze as he pulled on his shoes. He stood slowly and looked down at his watch - his friends were having a sleepover tonight and were probably already started the movie marathon of Star Wars.

‘Mom,’ He began, but she raised her hand to quiet him.

‘I know, dear,’ she sighed, ‘There will be other nights you can see your friends. Your cousin is performing tonight and we’re going to go support her on her first leading role in a ballet. Now, in the car you go.’

Jongin knew not to argue with that, so he climbed into the backseat of the car and buckled himself up as his Father started the car and his Mother fussed over her make-up in her compact mirror. He frowned and wondered which Star Wars movie his friends started with. He suspected that Junmyeon - his best friend - had started with the classics.

When Jongin arrived at the culture centre, there were already crowds of people in the halls, all dressed in the loveliest clothing. They looked their best as they shuffled into the theatre and were led to their seats. Jongin accepted the pamphlet shoved into his hands by one of the elder ushers and then his Father led the way to the front row. Jongin leaned back in his large, red seat with it’s comfy plush and tried to take in the entirety of the stage.

It was huge and painted black, what he could see of it anyway, the rest was framed by a heavy, red velvet curtain that swayed gently as people behind it brushed by. He could just barely make out the feet of the people there, black shoes of workers and the delicate pink colour of ballet slippers. He wanted to groan outwardly again, because this was going to be a long night.

The curtains were raised and the ballet began. The familiar music of The Nutcracker played from the pit just below the stage where the musicians sat and he tried to peer over the railing before his Mother put an arm across his chest and pushed him back into his chair. He frowned and crossed his arms over his chest as a sign of irritation.

‘Look, there she is,’ his Mother leaned over and whispered in his ear as she gestured to his cousin up on the stage as Marie.

That was not what caught Jongin’s attention in the slightest. He looked straight past his cousin and his eyes fell upon a young boy who looked not much older than himself. He was smiling, bright and dimpled, as he moved. Jongin realized that he was dressed as the nutcracker and he couldn’t help but wonder how someone so young looking could get such a big role. For the rest of the evening, Star Wars fell to the back of Jongin’s mind and he watched the boy in awe as he danced about. He wanted to try that too. He wanted to dance just like that. He wanted to dance with that boy.

After the show he pulled on his Mother’s sleeve, ‘I want to be a dancer.’ he whispered.

His Mother looked at him in surprise, ‘What happened to being a jedi?’ she teased.

Jongin shrugged, ‘I want to do ballet too.’

There was a sudden commotion that pried Jongin away from his conversation with his Mother. He spotted then, the lead cast all standing off to the side having their photos taken. His heart leaped when he saw the boy standing there with that same, pretty smile on his face. He was taller than Jongin and had soft, curly brown hair. In one swift movement, Jongin found himself joining the crowd surrounding them and suddenly he was close enough to the boy that he could reach out and touch those soft curls if he wanted (and if he could reach).

‘You were amazing,’ Jongin’s voice is small and he’s not sure the boy heard him, but he looked down and smiles brightly at Jongin as the initial surprise fades from him.

‘Thank you.’ The boy replied with a smile and reached out to ruffle Jongin’s hair. Usually, Jongin hated when people touched him, but he wanted this boy to do it again.

Jongin smiled, ‘I want to be just like you when I grow up!’ he exclaimed tugging on the boy’s hands - his skin was as soft as his hair looked and Jongin never wanted to let go.

The boy grinned goofily and Jongin thought he was the most handsome person he had ever seen, ‘If you work hard, you can make it. I believe in you.’

‘Really?’ Jongin asked, his voice filled with excitement, ‘You believe in me?’

Before there was a response, Jongin was being pulled away by his Mother and Father. He pouted, because he desperately wanted to know what this boy thought of him. He wanted to know his name, wanted to learn from him, wanted so much to be his friend or... something more. His cheeks flushed at these thoughts as his Mother and Father dragged him away. Now, instead, he sat in the backseat of the car, staring at the time on his watch. He could make it to Junmyeon’s party for the last Star Wars movie if he really wanted to go. He decided against his Mother’s offer - instead, he was going to go home and look for the closest ballet school to his junior high so he could attend after classes.

Yixing blinks several times at Jongin, the story sounds so familiar to him… There’s no way, “Jongin, what’s your cousin’s name?”

Jongin quirks an eyebrow at the question before politely giving his answer, “Kim Taeyeon, why?”

Yixing nearly drops his cup, “It was you?”

“Hyung?” Jongin furrows his eyebrows, in mild confusion, before he realizes, “Yixing-hyung, it’s you.” his cheeks flush and he wonders if the plush cushions of the comfy chair would do him a favour and just swallow him whole. This entire time, all Jongin’s life, Yixing really has been his reason for dancing - his first love.

Hey guys ^^ Another update! It's not really very good because I'm honestly half asleep right now and I want more than anything to just go to bed, but alas I'm in the library at school and so that's out of the question lol... Hopefully I will be able to edit this chapter at some point! Thank you for reading, you're all so very lovely ~ xoxo (ps: there's only maybe one or two more updates left, I hope that's not disappointing to anyone ;~;)