Reliving the past

1 AM 새벽한시

"YAH! Why are you so lazy! Come and wash my feet after you are done mopping the floor!" The voice of a mean ahjumma yelled and yanked Dara's hair.

Dara wiped the sweat on her forehead using her long sleeves. She had been living a life that was not her own for the past 4 years...

 

"Oppa.. Please dont leave me! Please.. dont leave us!" Dara sobbed, kneeling on the floor. In her arms, she was carrying a young child, perhaps a 2 year old. 

"What do you want! Get lost! Get out of my sight!" The man screamed at Dara. 

"I... I need you.. We.. can settle those.. debts..together.." Dara said in a hushed tone, as she settled the child on the floor and hugged the man's leg, in an attempt to stop him from leaving.

The man reached out to grab a bunch of newspapers and hit Dara's back with it. "Ouch!!!" Dara yelped in pain, but she did not let go, and yet she grasped even tighter. 

The man shook his leg really hard to fling Dara off and he proceeded to flung open the door and ran out, carrying a backpack stuffed with his belongings.

At that moment, Dara knew all was over. She winced in pain and scrambled to the child, saying "Omma will protect you... I will.." inbetween sobs..

 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Kwon Ji Yong. A rich bum who spent his appa's money on entertainment all day, everyday. Ji Yong is the heir of an international company, Rise Airlines. Infront of the public, he portrayed a hardworking and humble young man, trying to succeed his father's company. But in the eyes of his family and friends, he was nothing but a poser, a bum who delegated all his work to his poor assistant and also his best friend, Dong Young Bae, also known as Taeyang. 

"Ji Yong ah, are you done? The meeting is in 5 minutes and the ride alone will be 10 min-" Taeyang said, until Jiyong stopped him by putting his finger on his lips. He was trying on suits to match his new pair of black suede Giuseppe Zanotti loafers.

"I was ready... Until you came in to disturb me.. Now i will have to pick all over again!" Jiyong said nonchalantly and was tugging at the hems of his suit to straighten it. 

Taeyang sighed, shaking his head with his hand rubbing his forehead. 

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

"Sir, young master has been late for quite some time... Should i check with Young Bae-shi if they are on their way yet?" Bom asked Mr. Yang Hyun Suk. He waved his hand at Bom, signalling her to go ahead. 

Everyone in the meeting room was getting restless waiting for Ji yong. Among them was Choi Seung Hyun, who only wanted people to know him as Top. He sat near Yang Hyun Suk, with his hands clasped together and a finger on his lips. He turned to look at his father.. or foster father for that matter, he looked fuming mad. Top smirked. He looked intently on the door, hoping his brother would arrive soon. 

"I am here everyone! I apologise for being late, I was.. was.. helping an old lady cross the road! Yes, helping her cross the road because I am such a nice guy!" Jiyong exclaimed with a grin on his face, as he went into the meeting room and slid in his seat. 

Top eyed his brother and threw him a can of coffee across the table. Jiyong winked at him and signalled Taeyang to start the powerpoint.

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

"Omma omma! I want to play the swing!" a sweet young girl ran towards the swing in the playground. Dara was following her with all smiles on her tired face.

"Remember not to run too far or swing too high alright!" she shouted to the young girl, afraid that she would hurt herself.

Dara's eyes were lifeless and only shone whenever she was with her daughter, Haru.

She cringed as she relived the past.. How a mistake ruined her life.

She was only 18 at that time when she fell in love with an oppa in school. 

 He seemed to treat her really well then, coaching her homework after class, showing her concern when she was sick, buying her cute stuff whenever she said she wanted them during their dates. Until one day when they were studying at his place, they made the mistake. The oppa who had been nice to her in the beginning of their relationship.. disappeared. He seemed to blame the then pregnant Dara for everything - If he had a bad day at work, he would yell at her; If he lost during gambling, he would hit her. Dara was truly in hell for the 10 months, she even had to go through labour alone. Things just got worse after Haru was born, he screamed and yelled at Dara and Haru all the time. He did not treat Haru as a father should, and was always pinching her giving her bruises. He was just so terrible that when Haru was 1, she  refused to be carried by him. What's more, his mother just seemed to hate Dara's guts. She was always adding fuel to the fire, making him scold Dara even more. She practically cried herself to sleep everynight.  

She shook her head and looked at the happy Haru. "I must be strong..." She muttered.

"Omma!! It's Bom ahjumma!" Haru pointed to a lady in the far front. It was Bom, carrying bags of groceries. Haru ran up and helped Bom carry the lightest of the lot.She nudged Haru sadly and said, "I am eunnie! Not ahjumma! Have you seen an ahjumma as pretty as me?" Haru nodded her head, making Bom pout. She thought to herself, hmm.. i must apply my skincare more diligently!

Dara reached her hand out, offering to help Bom carry her groceries. "Ani.. You help Haru!" Bom said, shaking her head. 

Dara gave a tired smile and carried Haru up, who was peering into the bag, trying to see if Bom ahjumma bought her any snacks.

The three of them walked towards a row of small houses, looking like a happy family.