The Longing

Scintillating Twilight
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter 1:

The Longing

Different things including other photographs taken many years ago lay on the floor and can be found in every corner of his room, each object symbolizing a happy memory which he will not forget and reminding him of his memories with his best friend in high school.

He dreamt of his best friend and after that, he just got the urge to find all those memories that they have shared, the memories that he have shared with Hyukjae starting from the beginning until in the end.

He turned his head to stare at the white ceiling, reminiscing the past, the past where he and Hyukjae first met.

"Doctor, how's my son?" Mrs Lee asked.

"He's alright now, Ma'am. But, I suggest he had someone to be with him until he fully recovered." the doctor replied.

"But, you already know that me and my husband need to work to be able to pay the hospital bills and besides his older brother is still not fully recovered yet like him. Can you suggest other way, Doc?" her mom asked, looking at Donghae lying on the hospital bed.

"I can play with him, Mrs Lee." Hyukjae interrupted.

"Hyukjae, I'm talking to someone. You should not interrupt me when I'm talking." the doctor whispers to his son, "Mrs Lee, I'm sorry for that."

"No, it's okay, Doctor." she said, "I think your son gave a nice suggestion if you will let him play with my Donghae." 

"Would you like to play with Donghae, Son?" 

"Of course, Father." he said running to Donghae lying in the bed, “Mrs Lee, I'll take care and play with Donghae every day." Hyukjae said smiling.

After that, the two became best of friends, helping each other especially, when Donghae needed Hyukjae. Hyukjae was always there for him until his father wants them to live in America, leaving Seoul and Donghae.

He immediately shook his head not wanting to think about what happen that time when they finally say goodbye to each other, how much he wanted to run and beg Hyukjae not to leave without him and how much he wanted to stop the time that moment as if his momentary bliss is not coming back again. After that, he never saw Hyukjae again nor did he never hear his voice again. He took a look at the picture beside him while he's lying now on his bed, with him sitting on a wheelchair, slightly smiling while Hyukjae stand beside him with a gummy smile.

"Thank you, Hyung." he said, taking the camera from Donghae's older brother, Leeteuk. "Donghae, you need to smile even just a little." Hyukjae insist deleting the photo again on his camera. 

Donghae shook his head as an answer. 

"Please. I want to see my best friend smile again, Donghae. Look at Hyung, he always smiles that's why he recovered faster." he said pointing at Leeteuk. 

"Please, Donghae." he pleaded with his puppy eyes, wanting Donghae to do it. 

Donghae nodded. 

He can't speak well because of the accident but, he tries to move his lips, forming it to a slight smile. 

"Hyung! Hyung! Come on now. Take a picture of us. Donghae is smiling." Hyukjae said, excitedly giving the camera again to Leeteuk. 

Donghae smiled just thinking how this picture is born, containing his first smile after the accident and Hyukjae's gummy smile. 

He stood up, no one knows how much he wants to see those smiles again that never failed to make him smile also and no one knows how long his longing for Hyukjae will end. Dongha

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter