Chapter 09

Ephemeral

Chanhee stared down at the permission form that was lying on the table in front of him. Apparently, the tournament that Changhyun would be attending was moved to a sooner date and this meant that the young soccer player would be leaving sooner than expected. As Changhyun’s legal guardian, Chanhee had to sign a permission form for Changhyun to go to Busan.

“How long will you be gone?” Chanhee asked as he read over the permission form. Changhyun was seated across from him, trying to finish some homework.

“Maybe a week and a half at most. If we win our preliminary matches, then we’ll be in Busan for more than a week. I’m not completely sure how long I’ll be there for.” Changhyun replied as he looked up from his assignment. He knew that Chanhee would let him attend the tournament, but he also knew that Chanhee would need to question him first.

Chanhee nodded his head as he finally signed the permission form. He made sure to memorize the dates that Changhyun would be gone. He was planning on surprising his brother at the tournament to show his support. It would be a good vacation from his job and classes. It would also be his first visit to Busan.

“You should probably start packing then. You’re supposed to leave in three days.” Chanhee said as he passed the permission form to his brother.

“Don’t worry. I already started packing. Can we go out and buy me new formal clothes? I already outgrew my dress pants and dress shirt that you bought me last year. There’s going to be a special dinner the day before the tournament begins and our coach said that we have to be dressed nicely.” Changhyun asked and Chanhee could only chuckle in reply. He was still a growing boy.

“We can go tomorrow. Just stop by the café after school.”

“Can I bring some teammates along too? They have to get their clothes as well.”

“Like who?” Chanhee raised an eyebrow, feeling a bit curious.

“Niel and Byunghun said they needed to buy new clothes. I thought it would be a good idea for all of us to go together.” Changhyun replied with a small smile on his face.

Chanhee paused for a moment when he heard which teammates Changhyun wanted to bring him. He couldn’t say no to his brother because then he could possibly hurt his feelings.

“Byunghun too?” Chanhee sighed, causing Changhyun to laugh.

“I want you two to be friends! You’re both very important people in my life and just because you two slept together doesn’t mean that you can’t talk to each other.”

The brunette groaned and nodded his head. There was no use in trying to argue with Changhyun because once the teenager made up his mind, there was no going back. The young soccer player could be quite stubborn sometimes, but Chanhee didn’t mind.

“If you’re bringing friends, then I’ll bring someone with me as well.” Chanhee said and Changhyun nodded his head.

“Are you bringing a classmate from your  university?”

“No, I’ll bring Changjo with me. He needs a new work uniform but the kid doesn’t exactly know where to buy them.”

Changhyun stared at his brother for a moment, trying to comprehend what he was just told. He tried his best to seem unfazed by the information, but Chanhee could see through him already. Chanhee could tell that there was something between his younger brother and his co-worker.

“Are you close friends with Changjo? I mean, he already has your phone number so it’s safe to say that you two know each other. Plus, you see him a lot while you’re at the café, right?” Chanhee continued to interrogate his brother, smirking slightly when he noticed a blush spreading across his brother’s cheeks.

Chanhee chuckled when his brother turned back to his homework, completely ignoring all of his questions. He decided he would stop his teasing for the meantime and he began to mentally prepare himself for the following day.

He would have to get used to Byunghun’s presence, sooner or later. Maybe, just maybe, he would be able to befriend the person who had unexpectedly entered into his life.

X

“Wait, let me get this straight. We’re going shopping with not only your brother, but also Changjo?” Niel asked Changhyun the next day as they walked to their next class. The goalkeeper could understand why Chanhee was accompanying them, but he just couldn’t believe that Changjo would be joining them as well. Even though they were in the same grade and shared a few classes together, he never got the chance to really talk to Changjo.

“Changjo works with my brother, remember? And he has to get a new uniform, so Chanhee hyung was going to bring them to the same store where we can get our formal outfits. Besides, Changjo seems really friendly so I’m sure you two can become friends.” Changhyun replied once they finally reached their classroom.

“Who can become friends?” A voice asked from behind the pair, causing the two to turn around. Byunghun was standing behind them with a curious look on his face.

“Changjo and Niel. I made a deal with Chanhee hyung so that we can all go together. We’ll all be going to the same store anyway.” Changhyun grinned when he noticed Byunghun react to the sound of his brother’s name. The other soccer player just stared at the floor as they entered the classroom.

“What store are we going to anyway? You said it wasn’t that expensive, right?” Niel asked when they took their seats. Ironically, the three soccer players were all seated in the same row. From left to right, the seats were Niel, Changhyun, and then Byunghun.

“No, Chanhee hyung is friends with the owner so we usually get discounts on clothes. We’ll be able to find everything that we need, don’t worry! We just have to go to the café later after school so that we can pick up Chanhee hyung and Changjo.” Changhyun explained to his friends. Byunghun remained silent, but Changhyun could see that he nodded his head.

Changhyun had decided to try to become a matchmaker for his brother and his teammate. It was obvious that the two still felt somewhat awkward around each other, but Changhyun thought that their relationship could develop into something more. He wanted to give the two a slight push in the right direction, hoping for them to get together.

After all that his brother had sacrificed, Changhyun believed that this was the least he could do. He just wanted Chanhee to be happy and he was sure that Byunghun could make his brother happy.

--

Ricky is playing matchmaker! Little does he know what will happen to him as well! Heh.

Anyway, thanks for the feedback from the last chapter! I appreciate all of the comments even though I’m new to writing . It was a fun challenge.

This was just a short update to keep things moving along. It’s been a while since ChunJoe has interacted with each other, so look forward to the next chapter!

Sorry for any grammar errors or spelling mistakes~

Thanks for reading, commenting, and subscribing!