Chapter 07

Ephemeral

It had been a few weeks since Chanhee had seen Byunghun at the cafe. He was still working on a plan to somehow tell his younger brother that he had slept with his classmate. It was a very awkward thing to think about. 

"I guess I could tell him during dinner..." Chanhee sighed and lay back on his bed, staring at the ceiling. Unfortunately, every time Chanhee was in his room, the only thing he thought about was that night. If only he hadn't gotten drunk, maybe then things would have been fine. Chanhee was thankful that Changhyun didn't walk in on them. That would have been much worse. 

"Hyung, what are we eating for dinner?" Changhyun suddenly appeared at Chanhee's door, looking a bit hungry. His hand was placed on his stomach and Chanhee could hear it growling loudly.

"Let's order some fried chicken tonight. Go cook some rice and I'll call up the delivery place." Chanhee sat up from bed and grabbed his phone from his back pocket, searching through the phone numbers listed in his contacts. He quickly dialed the number of the restaurant and ordered enough chicken for them to eat. 

"Make sure you cool enough rice this time, Changhyun. I don't want to play rock-paper-scissors again just for rice." Chanhee called out as he stood up from his bed and walked out of his room. He could see Changhyun carefully measuring how much rice to cook. 

"I'll cook extra rice then! I'm really hungry." Changhyun laughed and smiled at his older brother. 

Chanhee started to set the table, placing two plates and two pairs of chopsticks neatly on the table. The two brothers made it a tradition to eat together no matter what. Chanhee and Changhyun always made sure to be home in time for dinner, since that was the only time that they could spend time together. As Chanhee walked into the kitchen, he noticed Changhyun staring at his phone.

"You texting someone?" The older one asked as he got side dishes from the fridge. It was a rare sight for Changhyun to use his phone so often. 

"Jonghyun- I mean Changjo somehow got my number and he's bugging me about an assignment that's due tomorrow." Changhyun sighed and put his phone away, turning his attention back to the rice cooker. 

"He's a strange kid. I've only worked for him for a short time, but I can already tell that he's a bit quirky. Not that it's a bad thing though." 

Chanhee chuckled as he recalled an incident between Changjo and a customer. A woman was having trouble ordering her drink while she was holding her crying baby, so Changjo offered to hold the baby for her. In the end, the baby didn't want to separate from Changjo and eventually the baby even fell asleep in Changjo's arms.

Suddenly, the doorbell rang and Chanhee rushed to the door, knowing that it was the delivery man. He answered the door and paid the man before taking their fried chicken from him. 

"The rice is done!" Changhyun said as Chanhee placed the chicken on the table. The two brothers continued to set the table, making sure there was enough rice for the both of them. Once everything was set, they took a seat across from each other and started to eat. 

"How's school going?" Chanhee asked, watching as his brother took a bite from a chicken leg. The teenager chewed slowly before answering. 

"School's fine, but I have a tournament coming up soon. We'll be going to Busan for a few days, so I'll miss about a week of school."

Chanhee blinked in surprise when Changhyun mentioned the tournament. He had no idea his brother would be leaving. 

"You haven't told me about that. When will your team go?" Chanhee asked, hoping that he would be able to support his brother during the tournament. 

"We just found out that we got into the tournament last week. It takes place next month, so there's still a lot of time left. I'll be having practice on weekends also." Changhyun smiled at his brother before continuing to eat the fried chicken. 

Chanhee mentally prepared himself for what he was about to do. He had to tell his brother, it was now or never. 

"Changhyun... Can we talk about something serious?" Chanhee asked as he placed his chopsticks down. He looked over at his brother who merely nodded in reply. 

"Anyway,  I know that you're aware that I'm gay and you know that I'm no longer a . You're not exactly a child anymore, so I know that you're mature enough to handle this. But... a few weeks ago, when you were asleep, I brought someone home with me." Chanhee glanced at Changhyun to check if he was paying attention and was surprised to see his brother staring back at him. He was really paying attention to what Chanhee was saying. 

"I was drunk when I brought that guy home and I kind of regret it now. He left during the middle of the night. At first, I didn't remember what he looked like, but then I saw him again. I know it was him because he called me by my nickname that only a few people know."

"Chunji, right?" Changhyun asked as he drank some of his water. Chanhee nodded before continuing his story. 

"Yeah, what my friends in college call me. The real problem is where I saw this guy again... I saw him at your school when I went to the soccer game for the first time. He's one of your friends."

Chanhee waited for a reaction from Changhyun. He was expecting a scream or even a gasp, but what he got in return was a surprise. 

"Who was it?" Changhyun asked calmly as he stared at his older brother. The teenager didn't seem angry or upset, but  he definitely seemed to be curious.

"It was Byungh-"

"I KNEW IT!" Changhyun yelled, not letting Chanhee finish his sentence. The soccer player stood up from his seat when he yelled and started to laugh. 

Chanhee's eyes widened in surprise at Changhyun's reaction. Changhyun laughed so hard until tears almost fell from his eyes. 

"You already knew?!"

"No, I didn't know that you slept together. I just noticed that there was this strange tension whenever you two would interact with each other. Especially after we won that game and you took us out to eat." Changhyun smirked at his brother, causing Chanhee to blush. 

"I had no idea he was just a high school student when I met him! He looks much much older than just 17 years old." Chanhee sighed and stared down at his unfinished food. Suddenly, he felt as if he had lost his appetite.

"Hyung, what does feel like?" Changhyun blinked innocently as he asked, feeling a bit curious about his brother's recent activities. 

Chanhee blushed even more when he heard his brother's question. He knew that Changhyun was aware of what was, however he never expected the high school student to ask how it felt. It was especially difficult to explain how between two males felt. 

"It feels... good? I don't exactly know how to explain it." Chanhee avoided Changhyun's gaze. He was feeling quite embarrassed at the moment. 

"Do you like Byunghun? He's a good friend of mine. I think you two would be a good match." Changhyun chuckled when he noticed Chanhee freeze up at his words. 

"I don't know. At first, I was annoyed because he was literally just everywhere I went, but I guess he's okay. I was just worried that he would tell you what happened. Since you already know and you're mature enough to handle this whole situation, I think I can be friends with him."

"Just friends?" Changhyun couldn't help but tease his brother about his relationship with Byunghun. They were perfect for each other.

"Shut up, Changhyun!"

-- 

Short and boring chapter ㅠㅠㅠ I promise to include ChunJoe in my next update! Now Changhyun knows what happened, so stay tuned to see what he will plan.

Once again, I wrote this on my phone, so I apologize for any spelling of grammar errors. 

Subscribe and comment below! Thanks for reading~ 

Also, the next chapter will be a flashback to when Chanhee and Byunghun first met. It will be rated ㅋㅋㅋ