Chapter 12

Ephemeral

“Hyung, your face has been red ever since we left the shop. Are you okay?” Changhyun stared over at his brother who was currently making their dinner.

It had been a couple of hours since Chanhee had helped everyone find a suit. He tried his best to act as normal as possible, but the kiss he shared with Byunghun inside of the changing room still haunted his mind.

“Maybe I just have a fever or something.” Chanhee simply smiled over at Changhyun, who shrugged in response.

“Can I borrow your suitcase? I don’t want to use my backpack to carry all of my things.” Changhyun asked as he poured a glass of water for himself.

“Sure, it’s in my closet. Just make sure you don’t knock anything over when you take it out.” Chanhee replied as he finished frying some chicken. They could have just ordered the chicken, but Chanhee was in the mood to cook for a change.

“I’m going to be gone for almost two weeks. Maybe even longer if we do well in the tournament.” Changhyun said as he started to set the table.

“Do you need your allowance for the next two weeks then? I can give you it in advance since I won’t be able to see you.” Chanhee handed his brother the bowl of chicken that was ready to eat.

“Well, I was kind of hoping that you would be able to visit me in Busan for a couple days. Maybe you could watch a few of our matches and even go sightseeing with us. I mean, Byunghun is going to be with us too.”

Chanhee laughed and shook his head, “no thanks, Changhyun. I’ve got work and some things to do for school.”

Chanhee tried his best to lie about not going to Busan. He wanted to surprise Changhyun and didn’t expect his brother to actually invite him to go to Busan. He had already reserved a bus ticket and was planning on leaving a few days after Changhyun.

“This is going to be the longest I’ve been away from you though.” Changhyun pouted and took a seat at the dining table, taking a bite out of a piece of chicken.

“Hmm, you have a point. I don’t think we’ve been apart from each other for that long before.” Chanhee smiled before taking a piece of chicken for himself.

“I think I’ll be fine though. I’m going to be with Niel, Byunghun, and the rest of the team. I’m really excited to visit Busan again.” Changhyun said as he grinned over at his brother.

The last time he had visited Busan was when he was just starting high school. It was the last family trip that he had with all of his family members. Soon after that trip, Chanhee had come out to their parents as being gay. Everything went downhill after that.

“Just make sure you listen to your teachers while you’re there. I don’t want to have to go there and bail you out of jail or something like that.” Changhyun rolled his eyes in reply and just kicked his brother’s leg from under the table.

“So, what’s working with Jonghyun like?” Changhyun asked, looking down at his food.

“Jonghyun? Ah, you mean Changjo. Well, he’s a good worker. He really focuses on what we tell him to do. He’s actually really popular with our regular customers. I guess you can call him the moodmaker of the café.” Chanhee said. He was quite fond of the young waiter because of how friendly he was. He and Chanhee had no problems with getting along. He even felt like an older brother to Changjo because of how often the younger boy asked for advice.

“He doesn’t have that many friends at school. You saw how awkward he was with Niel and Byunghun, right? But the thing is… He’s always talking to me. Just me! I don’t know what his deal is.” Changhyun sighed and pushed away his plate. He had suddenly lost his appetite.

Chanhee smiled at how frustrated his brother was getting. It was quite obvious that Changhyun and Changjo had something going on, but his innocent younger brother couldn’t quite figure it out.

“Have you ever thought that maybe he likes you? It makes sense if he’s so friendly with just you.”

Changhyun’s eyes widened and he quickly stood up, slamming his hands on the table.

“What? No way! He can’t! I mean, I know he’s gay and stuff. But why would he even like me?! I’m just a plain guy!”

Chanhee could sense the embarrassment radiating from his brother. Changhyun’s ears were getting red and he was suddenly sweating.

“Changhyun, you’re honestly a very good looking kid! And you’re athletic! I’m surprised you’ve been single for this long.” Chanhee chuckled and waved his hand, ushering his brother to sit back down.

The high school student sighed and sat back down, pouting slightly. He knew his brother was teasing him, but he still felt confused about his feelings for Changjo.

“Just finish your dinner and think about your feelings for the rest of the night, okay? But don’t let it bother you because you have a tournament coming up.”

Changhyun sighed once more and nodded his head. Dinner went on without much conversation, but the brothers were comfortable with the silence.

X

“Did you pack a toothbrush? And shampoo? Well, you don’t really need shampoo because the hotel should have some, right?” Niel asked as he boarded the bus with the rest of his teammates.

“Yes, mom, I did. Don’t worry.” Byunghun just laughed as he took a seat next to the goalie.

“Aren’t you going to ask me if I packed those things?” Changhyun asked as he sat in front of Niel and Byunghun.

“No. I know Chanhee hyung probably packed all of your things for you. You’re so lucky to have such a caring brother.” Niel said, chuckling as he got comfortable in his seat. It was going to be a long ride to Busan.

“Did you invite Chanhee to watch the tournament?” Byunghun asked, not bothering to say ‘hyung’.

“Yeah, I did. I thought he would say yes, but apparently he’s busy with his job and school.” Changhyun sighed and leaned back in his seat. He barely got any sleep last night because he was extremely nervous about the tournament. They were the only school from Seoul to be invited to this tournament, which meant all eyes would be on their matches.

“Do you think we’ll survive this tournament? I heard the teams this year are a lot more physical than normal. My cousin was injured in a match with another school that’s going to be at the tournament. He ended up breaking his leg pretty badly.” Niel said, frowning a bit.

“Did the other team get penalized at all?” Byunghun asked.

“That’s the thing! The player that tackled my cousin didn’t even get a yellow card! They totally just let him do it. My cousin won’t be able to walk for a month now because of his cast.”

Changhyun shuddered at the thought of being unable to walk. When his brother was younger, he broke his leg after falling off a slide. Chanhee wasn’t able to walk for a long time and was bedridden. Changhyun remembered the sight of Chanhee crying almost every night.

In short, Changhyun was terrified of breaking any of his bones.

He just hoped that he could escape from this tournament unharmed.

-

Hello! After almost a year, I have finally updated this! I apologize for the long wait. I’ve been busy and my laptop was broken for the longest time. But here I am!

Get ready for more updates for my other fics as well!

Also!!!! Get ready for the Busan chapters! Drama drama drama for everyone! And I mean, everyone.

Sorry for any grammar mistakes or spelling errors~ Stay tuned to the next update!