Chapter 06

Ephemeral

“Why are you suddenly picking up Changhyun in the morning?” Chanhee sat up and ran his hands through his messy hair, trying to avoid eye contact with the high school student that was standing by the front door.

Byunghun just grinned, watching Chanhee carefully. “We have a project to give to our teacher later. I thought it would be easier to pick up Changhyun, rather than just waiting for him at school.”

Chanhee let out a groan, glaring at Byunghun for a moment before standing up and walking into the kitchen. He was still in his work uniform, which was crumbled and untidy. However, Chanhee didn’t really care what he looked like. He just wanted Byunghun to leave.

“Changhyun has no idea. Does he?” Byunghun asked as he followed after Chanhee.

The young waiter got himself a glass of water and leaned back against the counter. Byunghun had cornered him into the kitchen.

“Of course he has no idea. I can’t just tell him that I slept with one of his friends. How was I supposed to know that you were just in high school?! I could go to jail.” Chanhee replied, sipping his water. He didn’t want to risk Changhyun’s friendship with Byunghun. If rumors got out, then Changhyun’s reputation at school could possibly be affected.

“I’m turning 18 next month. Calm down.” Byunghun chuckled and suddenly left the room, causing Chanhee to feel empty for some reason. It was like Byunghun was teasing him.

After finishing his glass of water, Chanhee left the kitchen as well. He saw Changhyun talking to Byunghun and smiled when Changhyun looked over at him.

“We’re going to school, hyung. I’ll see you later at the café.” Changhyun waved goodbye as he opened the door. Chanhee waved goodbye as well, blinking in surprise when he noticed Byunghun smirking at him.

That kid was really starting to confuse Chanhee.

X

“Do you have a thing for my brother?”

Byunghun choked on the soda he was drinking, coughing loudly as he felt someone pat on his back.

“Ricky! You can’t just ask people something like that out of nowhere.” Niel, the soccer team’s goalkeeper, exclaimed as he continued to pat on Byunghun’s back.

Changhyun pouted slightly, watching as Niel’s boyfriend approached them from behind. It was currently lunch time and the soccer team and a few others were gathered at their usual table in the cafeteria. Changhyun had noticed the strange reaction of both Chanhee and Byunghun whenever they saw each other and he wanted to know why.

“Why is Byunghun coughing?” Minsoo appeared, sitting down next to Niel. He was a year higher compared to his boyfriend, but he didn’t mind. He had a “tough guy” attitude, but was completely harmless. The only thing that seemed scary about him were his tattoos.

“Ricky thinks Byunghun likes his brother. I think you met him before, right?” Niel replied, passing Byunghun a tissue to wipe away the spilled soda on the table.

“Pretty boy with brown hair, right? We talked for a bit at one of the games. He seems like a cool guy, I can see why Byunghun probably likes him.” Minsoo chuckled, watching as Byunghun’s face became pink with embarrassment.

“I don’t like him!” Byunghun yelled. He was known for being cool under pressure, but when everyone decided to gang up on him with their teasing, he couldn’t help but become self-conscious.

Changhyun clicked his tongue, still not believing his friend. No matter how many times Byunghun lied, Changhyun could still read his body language. They’ve been friends for so long that Changhyun knew what kind of person Byunghun would like.

And his brother fit every single category.

Byunghun always talked about wanting someone who was pretty, but not gorgeous. He didn’t want anyone else to stare at his partner. Also, whenever Byunghun had a crush, it was always on someone older and responsible.

No matter how much Byunghun would deny, Changhyun knew that his brother was almost perfect for him.

“Is your brother seeing anyone right now, Ricky?” Niel asked, turning his attention back to his lunch. Occasionally, Minsoo would reach his hand over and try to steal some of Niel’s food. However, Niel always made sure to smack his hand away.

“As far as I know, he’s single right now. He’s only spends his time at home, at school, or at his job. He doesn’t really have any free time.” Changhyun replied, staring down at the lunch his brother made him. It was the same as usual, kimbap along with some of his favourite juice. Chanhee still treated him like a child.

“Where does he work?” Minsoo asked, taking some of Niel’s food when he looked away. He chuckled, hearing his boyfriend whine.

“He works at the café that’s open 24/7, the one that’s a few blocks away from here.” Changhyun said, sipping on his juice. He grinned as a sudden thought came to mind.

“Why don’t we all go to the café after practice? I’m sure hyung could give us discounts on the food and drinks. I have to wait there anyway, until his shift ends.” He suggested while look straight towards Byunghun, who tried his best to show his usual poker face.

“I’m in. I need somewhere to finish my report.” Minsoo nodded, nudging Niel to agree with him.

“I guess that means I’m going with you also. Byunghun, let’s work on the homework that we need to do for English.” Niel said, causing the blonde to groan.

“Fine, but I’m only going to finish the homework.” Byunghun decided, glaring slightly at Niel who smiled innocently back at him.

Changhyun grinned, celebrating his victory for a short moment. In reality, he was quite excited to see Byunghun and his brother interact. Maybe he could become a matchmaker for the two of them.

He would have to wait until after school to find out.

X

“Nice job at practice earlier. I’m surprised Byunghun managed to block Ricky’s last shot.” Niel gave the blond a high five, laughing as Changhyun glared at them.

They had just finished practice and were on their way to Byunghun’s car. He was the only one in their circle of friends that had a license and a car, which automatically made him the designated driver for every situation. Even though Minsoo was a year older than all of them, he still hadn’t received his license. Niel once told them that it was because Minsoo was a crazy driver.

Byunghun opened the trunk, allowing the four teenagers to throw their bags in. He was still feeling nervous about going to the café that Chanhee worked at. It was obvious that Changhyun knew that there was something going on, but Byunghun didn’t want Changhyun to find out about him sleeping with his older brother. He was sure that it would cause their friendship to become awkward.

“Hey, isn’t that Changjo?” Minsoo said, looking over towards another car that was parked close by.

Changhyun blinked in surprise, watching as Changjo got into the driver’s seat of the other car. He was wearing headphones, so there was no way that he heard Minsoo call him.

“I didn’t know he had a license. Wow, that kid is really mysterious.” Niel replied, watching as Changjo quickly drove away. He wasn’t classmates with Changjo, so he wasn’t very familiar with him.

“Looks like he was in a rush…” Changhyun mumbled, glancing at the spot where Changjo was once parked. He quickly shook his head, getting into the front seat of Byunghun’s car.

“I wonder where he was going.” Byunghun chuckled, starting the engine of the car once everyone was inside.

“Probably to his job. I heard he works somewhere close by, but I forgot exactly where.” Minsoo said, staring out the window. He didn’t really pay attention to gossip.

“He actually works with Chanhee hyung. I ran into him once when I was waiting for hyung to finish his shift.” Changhyun said, trying to find a suitable station on the radio to listen to.

“Maybe this means we can get an even bigger discount!” Byunghun grinned, hoping for a free meal. He knew it probably wouldn’t happen, but it was nice to wish for it.

“Yeah, maybe not. Chanhee hyung only gives me a small discount when I go there.” Changhyun complained loudly, helping Byunghun with the directions towards the café.

It was only a few minutes until they reached the café and Changhyun sighed when he saw Changjo’s car in the parking lot. He wasn’t quite ready to face him again, especially because of how nervous Changjo made him.

Byunghun parked the car in an open space and opened the trunk again, grabbing his backpack. Since this café was near a local university, all four high school students felt somewhat anxious as the entered the building. They were still dressed in their school uniform, which meant that they would definitely stand out.

“Welcome to—Changhyun! You’re here pretty early. Oh, you brought friends with you.” Chanhee smiled from the entrance, bowing slightly as he greeted everyone. He made eye contact with Byunghun for a moment, but still kept his friendly smile on his face.

“We’re going to be working on some homework together. I’ll just bring them to the usual table.” Changhyun grabbed Byunghun and Niel by their wrists, quickly pulling the two towards this favourite table to sit at.

Chanhee chuckled, nodding towards Minsoo who was left behind.

“Hello again. You’re Minsoo, right? We met at the game a while back.” Chanhee flashed Minsoo what he liked to call his “work” smile. In other words, it was completely forced and fake.

“Yup. I wanted to tag along and visit this place. You guys have strong coffee?” Minsoo asked, following after Chanhee who helped lead the way towards Changhyun’s table.

“I’ll send the waiter over to take your orders. He knows the coffee better than I do.” Chanhee laughed, waving his hand over at someone who was behind the counter.

“Changjo! Take the orders here. I have to go to the staffroom.” Chanhee quickly left once Changjo appeared, walking straight to the staffroom. He checked to make sure that no one was inside, sighing in relief when he found that he was alone.

“Why is that kid here again?! It’s like he’s stalking me!” Chanhee groaned, kicking the wall gently. No matter what he tried to do, Chanhee was stuck with Byunghun. However, he didn’t want to continue keeping this secret from Changhyun. Eventually, this could possibly hurt his younger brother.

He had to tell Changhyun what happened that night.

He had to make sure that he told Changhyun before Byunghun could.

--

A somewhat long update! Sorry if things seem messy, I feel like I rushed this chapter.

Sorry for any grammar or spelling errors~ Please leave a comment or two, telling me what you think. Thanks for subscribing and reading!