Chapter 1

Guardian Gang

Authornim's note:

Thank you to all of you guys who have subscribed. Here is a triple update!


Joon Myun woke up abruptly as a hand came down on his shoulder. Light filtered in through the cracks of a window drape and he could faintly make out the figure of his mother croutching over his futon. ''Mom? I thought you were…?’’

‘‘Joon Myunnie, I need you to trust me and listen to everything, I tell you….I love you never forget that! The noise that seemed to be faint background noise rose to a more audible level and his mother swung her head nervously toward the door. A gunshot sliced through the air and surrounded the silent couple. The sounds grew louder and more violent the noises were growing nearer. ‘‘I have to go son.’’His mom whispered in a raspy voice. ‘‘Mom, you can’t leave me,’’  ‘‘Son, I want you to promise me one thing…...’’ A second bullet shot rang through the air. Joon Myun screamed.

Tap tap, ‘‘Come in,’’ a voice called. The door soundlessly opened to let in the meatsuit with an earpiece. His hair was shaved close to his head and a scar ran from one side of his face to the other, and his sunglasses covered his eyes, ‘‘Boss, your son is here, he has something to say to you, can he come in?’’ The man silloeted against the massive windows turned and gave a slight nod to the guard, and he silently backed out with his face toward the office in a sign of deference. The office was somewhat dark, but there was a light on one of the large desks in the room.

Two large armchairs were also present in the room. The black suited bodyguards at the door let in a young man in his late twenties.‘‘Father, I need to speak with you alone.’’ His father who was by the window turned towards his son, montioning to a man in a chair that the son had not noticed yet. The other man in the room, rose from his chair, bowed and left, leaving only the son and his father. ‘‘Son, you are just the person I wished to see. As we both know, your mom’s anniversairy…. ‘‘Father, I cannot do it anymore.’’ Interrupted the young man before his father could continue.

 

Out in the hall stood 12 black suited bodyguards. Two stood at outside each door of the traditional Korean looking hallway. They guarded not only the rooms, but also the people who lived in the rooms. A young man was giving all the bodyguards coffee, because he was the youngest in the business, and he also drew the short straw.

Two of the younger looking bodyguards stood outside of the Boss’s son’s room despite him not being in residence there at the time. He had commanded them to stay when he had stormed off that morning.  They looked like any of the other bodyguards with a couple of exceptions, they were considerably younger and one of them held a staff instead of the gun the rest of the bodyguards were carrying.  The one carrying the gun had a stern almost angry look on his face and his eyebrows were drawn to a point. But, the bodyguard carrying a staff across from him was not to be outdone and had a terrifying look on his face.

 

‘‘How was he doing this morning?’’ asked the bodyguard with the staff who had  panda like rings under his eyes. ‘‘Not much better.’’ The older bodyguard grimly answered. ‘‘More nightmares?’’ The older bodyguard grimly nodded.  ‘‘Is there anything we can give him to help him sleep? He has been having those nightmares for about a year now.’’muttered the panda eyed bodyguard.

Before the elder could respond, loud shouting was heard from the down the hall. ‘‘IF YOU LEAVE, YOU ARE NO LONGER MY SON.’’ Came the voice. With that the door that led to the Boss’ office opened and his son stepped out slamming the door behind him. Joon Myun looked very upset and in tears, he strode down the hallway towards his bodyguards, entered his room and slammed his door.

Kris and Tao the two bodyguards looked at each other, and Kris made a move for the door. There was an absence of sound as the young man did not answer right away after the knock was sounded on the door. Then a voice was heard , ‘‘Who is it?’’ ‘‘It’s us, can we come in?’’ Kris called back. There was a shuffling sound from the inside and then the door was opened. ‘‘Come in’’ the man inside called. Both Kris and Tao went in and the door was closed.

‘‘Suho, stop pacing around and tell us what happened.’’ Kris commanded. Kris and Tao had been in Joonmyun’s room for three hours now, as the man paced back and forth not saying anything. Finally, Kris had gotten so tired of it, he stopped Joonmyun in his pacing and repeated, ‘‘Suho, stop pacing around and tell us what happened.’’ Joonmyun looked up in surprise at the nickname.

This nickname was given to the young man by Tao, when they first met because Suho means protector or guardian and that is what Joonmyun had been to them when they had first met. He saved them the first time they met and therefore they had joined the Jopok and promised to protect Joonmyun. Although, Tao on several occasions had referred to Joonmyun by the name of Suho, Kris had never done it once till this point.

He preferred to call Joonmyun Boss as he was the son of the Boss of the Double Dragon. Because of this Joonmyun was lost in thought for a moment about the past when they first met. ‘‘Please Suho, tell us what is going on.’’ Begged Tao. This seemed to break Joonmyun out of his thoughts of times past, and he began to tell what happened.

 

‘‘Son, I want you to promise me one thing.....’’ here the bleeding woman paused to catch her breath, her son nodded slowly, with tears streaming down his cheeks, after a moment of silence, her raspy voice began again. ‘‘After I die..’’ but, here she was interrupted by Joonmyun, ‘‘Mom, you are not going to die. You can’t leave me…’’His voice croaked. ‘‘…please leave the Jopok and do something else with your life. I do not want you going out for revenge for me it is too dangerous.’’ She finished. Tears continued to fall down the son’s cheeks and he even sobbed. ‘‘Promise me, son.’’ His mom muttered firmly.

Her son grabbed her hand and nodded his head trying to hold back some of the tears that were rapidly falling down his face. His mother closed her eyes and died.

‘‘And that is why I have to leave. I can’t do this anymore. My mom made me promise to leave. It has been a year, and the nightmares only steadily get worse. Soon, if I don’t leave, I don’t know how I will live anymore. I did not stop my dad from taking revenge on those men for what they did to my mom, but I can fulfill the rest of her promise by leaving.’’Suho finished. When Suho finished, his bodyguards were completely silent.

Suho looked at their faces and plodded on, ‘‘I asked my father if he would go with me and retire the Double Dragon but he would have none of it.’’ After he said this, he bit his lip and frowned. ‘‘I am sorry,..’’he began. ‘‘So, where are we going?’’ interrupted Kris. To this, Suho looked up to the stern faced bodyguard. ‘‘What do you mean?’’ He asked in surprise. He looked genuinely confused. ‘‘Where are we going if we leave the Double Dragon?’’Tao responded. Suho looked at them both in shock. ‘‘You mean,….’’stuttered Suho after a few minutes. ‘‘Yes, we are coming with you.’’ Finished Kris.

 

Suho stared at the two men. ‘‘You guys are….’’He began after a moment of silence. But, instead of completing his sentence he began to cry. Tao and Kris both looked at each other. Tao made a move to Suho’s side. ‘‘You guys are coming with me?’’ he finally got out. ‘‘Why would we do anything else? We are your bodyguards’’ Tao. After Suho stopped crying, the three of them made plans to leave.