Chapter 1

It Started With a Touch

I get ready for work by applying some makeup and by wearing a simple outfit; a white top, blue skinny jeans and red converse highs. And as always I put on a simple pink bracelet Jin gave me. I don’t like pink, really, but it’s Jin’s favourite colour so I deal with it. He gave it to me before he debuted and I treasure it.

I walk to work as I live relatively close by. It's a relatively warm day which makes my mood positive. I am walking in the building when all the lights turn off.

Damn, must be a power cut!

Sighing, I get on my hands and knees and try to feel my way around.

Alright, I know I need to take a right turn soon…

As I feel about, I touch something. Something warm, something soft: a hand.

The lights suddenly turn on and I see who I had met. Suga, Jin's bandmate, is there, also on his hands and knees. We lock eyes, and I am immediately aware that my hand is still on his. But I can’t move. We both aren’t moving. I can feel my face burning and can see a light pink dusting on his cheeks.

“Yoongi!”

At the sound of the voice we both stir. We both move backwards and we both land on our bums. Namjoon comes around the corner and looks at Suga, and then at me. He immediately smiles at me and offers me a hand to get up. I accept it, but when I’m standing his hand still lingers on mine.

“Namjoon! Yoongi!”

I would recognise that voice anywhere. I feel a shot of electricity moving through my body. I am fuelled with adrenaline and immediately rush to the voice. I round the corner and there he is in front of me, Jin. He sees me and smiles wide and then jumps forward to embrace me.

“Ellen! Oh, man, I’ve missed you!”

I hug him tightly back and smile into his neck.

“I’ve missed you too oppa. I really have.”

We hug for a little longer, and then Jin breaks the hug but holds my shoulders. He’s still smiling widely as he looks at me, but as his eyes travel down his smile falters. He looks behind me to see Namjoon and Suga.

“…Did you not come to see me?” he asked, sadly.

Though I didn’t, and was here for work, I asked him, “Why do you say that?”

He scans my clothes again then looks at Namjoon.

“Your clothes…”

What’s wrong with my clothes? I am confused and it obviously translates to my face. Namjoon steps forwards and offers an explanation.

“A couple of days ago, in an interview, I described my perfect girl. I bet you can guess which clothes I picked out for her.”

“…I’m guessing a white top, jeans and red converse?”

“More precisely: red converse highs, which are exactly what you’re wearing right now. And can I say you look damn fine in them.” He smiles brightly. That explains the lingering hand earlier…

“Thank you, but sorry, that wasn’t my attention. I haven’t seen that interview.” Seeing my chance I turn to Jin, who isn’t looking as disappointed as he was earlier. I take a deep breath. “The truth is… the truth is… I work here, Jin. I’ve worked here for a while now, as a video editor. I’ve been the one editing your music videos.”

I hold his gaze and give him a small, shy smile. He doesn’t respond. I shift nervously and out of habit I start playing with the bracelet on my wrist. He notices and lifts my wrist to eye level.

“You still wear this?”

“Of course I do pabo, I treasure it.”

His face immediately splits into a grin and I immediately relax. He hugs me again and we’re both smiling and giggling.

I had completely forgotten that Namjoon and Suga were there, and hadn’t noticed the other members arrive until I heard a throat being cleared loudly.

“Dude, sorry to interrupt but we have practice now… Plus people might be watching. Don’t wanna cause a scandal.”

“Ok, ok. I’ll introduce you all to each other later.” Turning to me he says “Sorry, Ellen, I really want to catch up with you though. Can I see you after my practice? Will you be busy?”

“No, please come and see me! I want to have a good chat with you.”

“Ok, I’ll see you later then.” He gives me another hug then turns to move off with V, Jungook, Jimin and J-Hope.

Namjoon passes me and then so does Suga.  But he stops to look at me. He holds out a hand and I see he’s holding a handkerchief.

“Your hands must have gotten dirty after crawling on the floor like that.”

Looking down I see that, indeed, my hands were filthy. Im about to take it when I realise-

“Ah, but then you won’t be able to clean your hands!”

“Doesn’t matter, they’ll get dirty again in practice.”

“Well, thank you, Suga.” I take the handkerchief from his hands and give him a big smile.

“Call me Yoongi. My real name is Yoongi.”

“Thank you… Yoongi.”

I feel myself getting hot again, and again I see a pink dusting on his cheeks. He gives me a quick, small smile then heads off after s.