Ugly Truth

Can You See The Dark?

My apartment was empty. Taehyung had to have been at work, but this empty feeling gnawed at me. I saw pancakes stacked neatly on the bench and Taehyung's previous comments swirled in my mind. 'To let me out of your apartment.' Pushing away the suspicious feeling, I had to glance at the typically messy couch to reassure myself. And that is when it became clear. The couch was neat, the blanket folded. Staring back at the pancakes, I noticed a note. A singular note folded carefully. Taehyung was not careful. He stumbled, he broke things. He was never careful. Unfolding the note with shaky hands, the very first line made me laugh. The one worded line was enough to make my emotional barriers fall.

 

White.

He knew. He knew my favourite colour.

Dear Yoongi,

I am truely sorry. I should have treated you like the one night stand you thought I was. Someone to help you forget. Someone not worth a second thought. So I will fix this. I had to go before I created memories. So goodbye for real this time.

From a stranger.

Dropping the paper like it had seared my very soul, that whole thing screamed at me. From a stranger. We were not strangers! He knew everything about me, and I to him. Taehyung, he...he is nineteen. But when is his birthday? My heart skipped a beat. What did I know about Taehyung?

His name is Kim Taehyung and his is nineteen years old. That is all I knew. No better than a strangers knowledge. But not once did I consider him a one night stand!

Leaning back on the counter, angry tremors wracked through me. Looking around, there was trace of him being here aside from the note and a stack of lukewarm pancakes. 

I know he can make amazing pancakes. I know he works multiple jobs. But why so many? With that many he should have easily been able to pay the landlord. So why not? Gripping the sides on my head, a boy I barely knew was destroying my stable world without being here. I had to figure this out. I had to find out why.

Standing up straight, I found my resolve. The image of Taehyung crying in my kitchen seared through my mind. Those ever-growing sad eyes etched into my heart. Right now I knew he was at the bar, working to pay for god knows what. And in this very moment I wished I also knew. Storming towards the door, I had a plan. I will get him to talk. I owe him that much.

 

-----------------

 

Back inside the bar where Taehyung and I first met. The swarms of people were in my way. They stood between me and the truth. A hand made its way to my chest and I almost hit the guy. Looking at him, I realised it was a very unimpressed Jimin. The boy shouted over the music at me a very simple question.

"What are you doing here?"

There was no hiding the anger in his voice and I almost recoiled in shock. Almost.

"I just want to talk to Taehyung." I snapped back and Jimin rolled his eyes.

"Look, right now he is acting like his happy self." Jimin pointed towards the bar and he was right. Taehyung was laughing and smiling, but he said it himself. It was just acting.

"Yeah, acting. Let me through. He is not alright." I stated and he sighed.

"You think I didn't realise. He should win a Oscar with his skills." Jimin laughed sarcastically and I just stared.

"Well he should stop acting..."

"And behave how he should? Don't be stupid. Just the thought makes me sick." Jimin cut me off, leading me outside.

"I want to talk to Taehy..."

"We need to talk. Outside. Now."

I felt a little threatened, I admit that. So I followed Jimin. Outside in the silence, we kept walking. Although Jimin was smaller than me, he gave off the impression that if I didn't follow that he would beat me to a pulp. Running my finger through my hair angrily I glared at him with all I had. Jimin finally stopped walking.

"Taehyung...where should I start?" Jimin asked and I said nothing. "I will tell you why he hates himself then. He killed his own father."

Those five words struck me where it hurt the most. My knees felt weak and my head instantly began to ache trying to figure out the story as to why, but those five haunting words danced in my mind, echoing off the hollowness I felt inside.

He killed his own father.