The Trainee

My Name Is Haruka

EDIT: Now getting more familiar with the site, I have made some modifications.

Chapter 1

"A trainee?" 

 

"Yes. He will be arriving this afternoon." It was a not-so-normal morning for the members of BOYFRIEND. They have been called by their manager for a meeting early in he morning, only to learn that, for a short amount of time, they will have a new sub-member joining them.

 

"Why?" The leader, Donghyun, asked.

 

"In the email he sent to me with the request, he mentioned his desire to become an aspiring K-pop idol, as to become even more famous worldwide." the manager replied. "He has also mentioned clearly his dislike for working with younger idols, claiming that he was quite too high for their level." Hyunseong raised an eyebrow.

 

"Now that's harsh." he muttered, earning a snicker and a nod from the twins.

 

"Anyway, he has decided ad chosen you for the job of tutoring him to become a K-pop idol. He did not list any reasons... And that's all he said." the manager announced. "I have arranged a meeting for you with him at a local café as he requested. He said that you would need to know him better, and had chosen a public place since he said he didn't like formalities."

 

"I have a bad feeling about this..." Jeongmin sighed. "And it's so sudden."

 

"I'll leave this to you. The meeting is at 2 o'clock in the afternoon. Good luck." The six members left the office, thinking of all the possibilities.

 

"That new idol sounds scary." Hyunseong said suddenly.

 

"I think he is just stern and serious about his career." Was Youngmin's comment. Kwangmin just nodded.

 

"Well, we would never know until we meet him." Minwoo said with a smile. "I don't think he is as bad as he sounds." The rest gave sounds of agreement.

 

"True." Donghyun mused. "Yet, I wonder..."

 

"Hyung?"

 

"How old would he be? It's puzzling. He mentioned he didn't like working with younger idols." The leader explained.

 

"Now that you mention it..." Kwangmin trailed off. 

 

"Never mind this now. We have a concert coming up soon, and we need practice. Let's not think about this." Donghyun exclaimed. They all left to change and begin their day. They had a lot waiting for them.

 

 

 

"I think we have found our destination..." Jeongmin said as he and his band mates glanced once again at the place where they were supposed to meet their new sub-member. It was an average café, not very crowded, and existed in a rather reserved area. They walked into the quiet café, scanning through for the person they were supposed to meet. Luckily, they were disguised,  so no one would know them. Yet, the stares of people made them feel uncomfortable.

 

"We don't even know what he looks like. He didn't mention anything about himself, did he?" Youngmin questioned, tapping Donghyun's shoulder to get his attention. The leader shook his head.

 

"No. He didn't. Not even his name." They just tried to act normal while looking for their target,  who seemed to not be in sight. Just as they started to lose hope, a slightly high pitched voice startled them, calling out in a quiet, cold tone.

 

"You are late, minna-san." They turned around, eyes darting to the source of the voice. At a table standing in a secluded corner was a feminine-looking male, with looks that did not indicate he was more that 18, sitting on his chair with his back to the wall, eyes fixed on a book in his glove-covered hands. On a closer look, they could see his features. He had deep crimson eyes, pitch black hair, a pale complexion and sharp features. His eyes left the book, glancing up to stare right into Donghyun's eyes, putting away his glasses. He un-crossed his legs and pulled out a pocket watch. "You should have been here 10 minutes and 35 seconds ago."

 

"Is that him?" Minwoo asked, scooting behind the tallest. "He looks scary..."

 

"Minu-san, that's not the nicest thing to say." Again, the stranger spoke in his cold tone. The young idol shivered a little before swallowing hard.

 

"S-sorry..." he murmured to himself, as it was not heard by the others.

 

"It doesn't matter now..." the strange put his pocket watch aside and stood up straight, walked up to Donghyun and pulled his glove off his right hand, revealing a very white hand. "My Name is Misashi Haruka." He said. Donghyun took his hand in his, and was surprised at the coldness of his skin. "Please have a seat, minna-san." They obliged, having a seat each around the table at the corner. It was in the very back of the café, and they were not noticed. 

 

"So, you are the new sub-member joining-" Donghyun didn't even get to say the remaining pats of the sentence before Haruka cut in.

 

"It will only be for a short amount of time, yes." the leader decided to ignore the rude interruption. 

 

"I see. So, what is it that-"

 

"I wouldn't have chosen to work with rookies like you. It's just what I feel like doing. Please do not question the matter any more." Again, Haruka replied straight,  not even looking at him. It didn't sound like he hated the question, more like he was avoiding it. He looked a bit...bothered by something. Donghyun decided not to press the matter. He didn't have a reply ready, but Youngmin sure did.

 

"What makes you think we are rookies?" He asked in a pissed off tone, but quietly as not to get unwanted attention. 

 

"Excuse me?"

 

"You heard me. Don't play dumb."

 

"It has only been 5 years since you made your debut, correct?" Haruka asked, picking up the book he left earlier. "I do not need more proof. I have been working more that you have, rookie."

 

"Youngmin, don't mind him..." Jeongmin whispered to the taller, earning a huff followed by a nod. For some good 5 minutes, it was silent. The 'meeting' turned into a silence contest, and apparently, Minwoo felt like losing because, almost every 10 seconds, according to Haruka's calculations, he asked him a question, mostly related to his preferences and things like that. In most cases, Haruka didn't answer, but when he did, signs of a smile could be seen on his pale face, only to disappear at the last moment. The rest didn't seem interested in Minwoo's almost-one-sided talk, and we're conversing with each other.

 

"I don't like him." Youngmin admitted frankly. 

 

"Neither do I." Kwangmin nodded.

 

"Maybe he's like that because he is not used to us. Let's give him a chance." Hyunseong suggested. "Maybe he would open up when he gets to know us better."

 

"You are right, hyung, but still..."Kwangmin glanced at Haruka quickly. "What if he doesn't?" Donghyun,  after thinking for a long time, finally spoke.

 

"He seems to be hiding something..." he stole a glance at Haruka's face. "He may be a good actor, but his face is of a person that has been troubled by something for a long time. It would break him sooner than later. If we can get closer to him, we might be able to find out." He explained.

 

"Sounds like a plan." The twins whispered, smiling a little.

 

"But still, I don't like him." Youngmin added after a few seconds. 

 

"We will have to wait before we can judge him..."

 

 

 

"This is unbearable..." Donghyun sighed as he watched Haruka leave the practice room.

 

"I told you, he is unbearable." Youngmin sat down, back against the wall, gripping onto a water bottle. "And you said we can't judge him..."

 

"I think I may need to rethink this matter..." After a practice session, the members of BOYFRIEND sat once again, discussing Haruka's attitude. Apparently, he had joined them for their choreography practice, but ended up criticising them. He called Donghyun's moves sluggish, said that Jeongmin seemed lost in his little world, claimed that the twins are definitely Woking their hardest to ruin the dance. Hyunseong did not get any criticism,  much to his luck, while Minwoo was called energetic in an annoying way. All seemed annoyed by Haruka and his unfair criticism. 

 

"He's acting as if he is higher than us." Youngmin complained. "He didn't even do anything other than being rude."

 

"True... And he said we were not talented." Added Minwoo in a disappointed tone. "Why is he so mean?"

 

"I don't know. Let us focus on our practice." And so they gave it a go, but, for some reason, none of them put much effort in the practice. Haruka's words kept repeating in their minds. Gradually, they stopped.

 

"I'm tired..." said Jeongmin after a moment of silence.

 

"I don't feel like practising any more today." Donghyun  sighed. "What time is it now?"

 

"6 p.m."

 

"Let's call it a day, then. I don't think manager-nim would mind."

 

"Yeah. Let's go." Hyunseong exclaimed as they all left the practice room. After getting permission, they De idea to go back home for the night. They were tired, and the idea of a nice dinner and sleep was really appealing. As they went outside the agency building, they saw Haruka, dressed casually, holding the same book from that morning. He didn't seem to notice them. 

 

"Hey," Hyunseong whispered. "He would be staying with us, right?"

 

"I don't know..." Donghyun said, eyes fixed on Haruka's figure. "I don't think so. We weren't informed of that." 

 

"And I'm sure he would have mentioned it... At least..." Jeongmin added.

 

"I'll go ask him." Minwoo said before approaching Haruka. "Misashi-san!" Haruka's eyes left the book and turned to face him. 

 

"Yes?"

 

"I-I was wondering...uh... Where are you staying?" He asked with a nervous smile. Haruka blinked and pulled out a slip of paper, handing it to him. Minwoo beamed with a bright smile. "It's only two blocks away of our apartment! Would you like to come with us? I don't suppose you are going to walk back, right?"

 

"W-well..." Haruka averted his gaze away and blushed a little. "I was going to walk back." Minwoo laughed a little.

 

"It's okay. We are working together for the time being, you are one of us." He smiled, but soon, his expression was replaced by a confused one. The black haired idol was staring at Minwoo with a distant look in his eyes. "Misashi-san?"

 

"Huh? O-oh...I'm sorry..." he broke out of his trance. 

 

"Hey, you two." Donghyun approached them, giving Haruka a gentle smile. "Misashi, are you coming with us?"

 

"I-"

 

"He lives only two blocks away from us. He can come with us, right?" Minwoo cut in.

 

"Sure. Does this suit you, Misashi?"

 

"I don't mind..." he replied. 

 

"Great. Let's go then." Donghyun and Minwoo walked to the van, while Haruka just stared at their backs. They both looked...Happy. He clenched his fists in anger and held back a yell of despair. "Misashi, come on!" Putting on his best blank face, he walked to the van, climbing in. Soon began the long ride, or so it seemed to Haruka.