Moving In

Unexpected Roommate
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Myung Hee was overly excited about finally being able to live in her own apartment. For the past three years since she graduated high school, she's been living with her parents.

Now it's her chance to prove to them that she can make it on her own. Her parents were always supporting her financially and she didn't want to always depend on them for money. She was 22 years old after all and more than capable to earn her money.

She planned on living with a friend she had made while in college. They had both agreed about living together, she just hoped that they could get along well enough living in the same space.

"Do you have everything?" her mother asked as she finished taping a box closed.

"I think so..." she said as she looked around her room to make sure she had everything she needed at the new apartment. Just looking at her now bare room, it made her feel a little nervous about actually moving out, but this was something she wanted. Something she had to beg her parents for.

"Are you sure about this?" her mother asked with concern in her voice. It seemed as if her mother knew what she was feeling, but she mentally shook it off.

"Mom please, I already set my mind on it. Plus I already paid this month's rent. I'll be fine," I tried to reassure her. 

"Why don't you just focus on school more? Why are you a part-time college student now? We can still support you. You don't need this full-time job," her mother said as she stood there with watery eyes.

"Mom," Myung Hee went over to her mother to pull her into a hug. "Everything is going to be fine. I get paid a lot more if I'm a full-time employee. Don't worry, I'll finish my last year of college. Promise,"

"Then you'll get your masters?" her mother asked hopeful slightly pulling away from her.

"Yes. I'll get my masters," she chuckled. Her mother gave her a bright smile and she squeezed her mother's shoulder. It wasn't a secret her mother wanted her to at least get her Ph.D. in something. It didn't matter to her mother what she did as long as Myung Hee would eventually get her Ph.D.

"Are you all set?" her father asked as he came into the room wiping the sweat from his forehead.

"Yes, dad,"

"Alright," he grabbed the last of the boxes and headed down to the waiting moving truck. Myung Hee took one last glance at her room. She wasn't taking her bed or any of the furniture as the new apartment already came fully furnished. Which she got lucky she found because a lot of apartments don't come fully furnished.  

She walked past the living room and in a way she didn't want to move out but this was a huge stepping stone in adulting so she needed to take the leap.

"You know you'll always have a place here no matter what," her mother said as she came walking behind Myung Hee.

"I know mom,"


3 Hours later...

"All done," Myung Hee's father said as he pulled off his gloves and sat down at the dining table.

"So this apartment comes with everything?" her mother asked as she too sat down at the table as she looked around the spacious place.

"Yes, mom. It's fully furnished. That's why I didn't buy any furniture or anything else. It's all brand new too," she smiled as she looked around. Everything was practically new, which Myung Hee liked but at the same time, it all came with a cost.

With the help of her mom, she was able to decorate the apartment to her liking. Lucky the other rooms didn't need anuthing.  Hopefully, Seo Yun, her friend, would arrive soon. Since all this was her idea after all.

"Where's your roommate?" her father asked noting the absence of Seo Yun.


"She should be coming. I guess she has a lot to pack," shrugged Myung Hee. She too was wondering what was taking Seo Yun so long. Seo Yun should have been already been there; that was what they agreed on. 

Both her parents nodded as they continued to look around the apartment, admiring how big and fancy it was. It soon grew quiet and Myung Hee was starting to grow anxious as to why Seo Yun was still not there yet.

After a few more minutes of just sitting there, her parents stood up.

"Okay... well we have to go," her father said with a strain in his voice. It was hard not to see how much her parents wanted her to stay with them, but this was a decision she made and they wanted to honor it.

"Alright. Thank you so much," she went over to give him a tight hug. She fought the urge of wanting to go back with them as well. Though she didn't want to admit it, she was scared of living on her own. Having to pay the bills and living with someone she barely even knew. Seo Yun may be a 'friend' but they were actually co-workers and only became friends recently.

"I cooked some food and placed them all in the fridge. Just in case you get hungry later," her mother said as she went to give her daughter a tight hug. That was going to be another thing she was going to miss, coming home to a warm home-cooked meal. Now she would have to cook her food, not that she wasn't a great cook, but it was just so much work.

"Thanks, mom," her mother just nodded as she wiped a stray tear away. Myung Hee sighed because she knew this was hard on her mom.

"Alright. Bye now," her father said as she walked both her parents out and closed the door behind them as she waved goodbye to them.

Once she closed the door, she turned around to have her back against the door as she sighed heavily. She was all alone in the rather large apartment. It was a 3 bed 3 bath apartment. The living room was spacious and so was the kitchen. It came with everything. Brand new top of the line appliances, granite counter-tops, brand new furniture — which looked expensive.

Well, everything should be new since she paid good money for just one month worth of rent. She just hoped that Seo Yun would keep her promise of paying next month's rent.

Nonetheless, Myung Hee loved the apartment. It had an amazing view of the city and it even had a balcony connecting to the living room.

Without much thought, she went towards her room to grab her cell phone, hoping that Seo Yun had called or texted her, but nothing.

Hmm... I wonder if she needs help?

She tried calling her but no answer. Dialing several times, still no answer. She sighed giving up as she went out of her room and went towards the living room.

To pass the time, Myunghee decided to watch some TV. She just hoped that Seo Yun would show up soon. As she the TV, Music Bank came on and EXO was performing their latest comeback 'Love Me Right'.

Myung Hee briefly jammed out and sang along, before long they finished up and the next group was up. She briefly watched the next group perform before she then ended up changing the channel, but as she channel surfed she couldn't find anything to watch.

Her mind was elsewhere. She was wondering what Seo Yun was up to and why she was taking so long to get to the apartment. She was worried Seo Yun was moving everything by herself or something else could have happened. Myung Hee wouldn't know until either Seo Yun showed up or responded to her calls and/or texts.

Sighing as she turned the TV off and got up to look outside. It was still very bright out and there didn't seem to be much traffic. Continuing to look out from inside, she was tempted to go out on the balcony and enjoy the view but her anxiety was getting the best of her.

She couldn't wait any longer and before long she went towards her room to grab her purse, keys, and phone before heading out of the apartment.

 

Luckily, Seo Yun had given her address to Myung Hee even though sh

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter