2..

Define Destiny

Jin was back in the woods not even 2 weeks later. Maybe he'd get bitten again, maybe even worse. That cat was huge, as he remembered it, and it could have friends lurking around. The sun was even hotter that day and he was glad for the light amount of shade the trees offered him. But inside, he didn't feel relieved at all.

 

He wandered around longer than the last time. Hoping to find something. Not completely certain he wanted to meet up with that cat again but wasn't that what he was out there for in the first place?

 

He passed bees pollinating various wildflowers. Doing a little dance inside their cup-shaped centres. Deep in the bushes a pile of discarded clothing formed a pile. Almost a nest shape. Homeless people must be living out here; he thought to himself.

 

Coming out of a succession of spiderwebs, flailing his hands wildly in a mini freak out, he nearly bumped into a dark-haired boy wearing really ratty clothing. The homeless person is this kid?

 

He found himself acting the same way he did with the cat the other day. Slowly approaching the boy and greeting him in a hushed voice. The boy looked at him warily, much the same as that damn cat, wordlessly.

 

"Are you...okay?" He tried to engage a conversation when out of nowhere, another kid jumped in front of the first one. His hair was orange and his clothes were even more dilapidated than the other one. Do homeless people dye their hair? Jin wondered. It's weird since they should probably be more concerned with eating than hairstyle. Maybe they are recent runaways. And what the hell am I debating dyed hair at a time like this?

 

The second boy sneered. The expression marring his face. Jin could have sworn he was also growling lowly. Neither of them had spoken, yet. Should he be running away? Are they going to mug him? Probably.

 

"Sorry about Taehyung." The first boy spoke suddenly. "He can't use his words."

 

Jin laughed a little at that but boy one's expression didn't look like he was saying it to tease his friend. They're so weird. "I'm Jin." Sticking out his hand he smiled and the first boy's eyes widened as he looked down at Jin's bandaged hand. He quickly withdrew it and reached forward with the other. "Sorry. I'm not used to shaking with this one.” He chuckled nervously. They could still mug him.

 

One boy was angry and the other frightened. He'd always thought of  himself as a people person. How was this happening?

 

"I'm sorry." The boy pulled 'Taehyung' with him and they ran off into the woods. Leaving Jin a bit lost. Literally and figuratively. A small: "wait..." escaping his lips.

 

***

 

"Why are these kids so stupid?" Namjoon paced in front of the lean-to angrily. "Now I have to go clean up their mess? What do they expect from me? Why can't they think about things before they do them?

 

"You know, this is exactly like when Jungkook climbed onto that ice flow last winter and couldn't get back to shore. Or when he decided to play hide-and-seek for hours when no one knew he was playing."

 

"Calm down, Namjoon. They're just kittens." Yoongi smiled fondly. Namjoon wasn't much different when he was a kitten. Now he was the leader of their little group. Alpha male if they were wolves. But wolves are dogs and dogs are stupid. And don't understand the usefulness of every member of the pack. Just slobber and have and babies and... Gross. Dogs.

 

"They already have their human forms. They can't be kittens anymore. Don't use it as an excuse."

 

Yoongi didn't agree with him but nodded anyway. "Then, they should learn how to behave better. Like humans. And, probably learn how to talk properly." He added. "Tae can't say a word and Jungkook's vocabulary is very limited."

 

"They just don't want to. They're too lazy to learn." Namjoon growled. "I taught myself the human language when I was still a kitten."

 

Yoongi rolled his eyes. Okay Namjoon. You're so smart. He thought to himself.

 

"Shut up." Namjoon glared. Yoongi knew his gesture gave him away. They are cats, after all. Body language was their first language. Easier to read on cats, but just as much when in their human forms.

 

"But you're right about them learning human stuff. I just can't deal with them. You want to give it a shot?"

 

Yoongi cringed. "Not really."

 

"Then what do we do?"