6..

Define Destiny

Taehyung bounded around like the happy kitten he was. Frolicking around in the tall grass and leaves by the edge of the woods. He spied something -a squirrel- and tried to pounce. Missing it by only a hair. The squirrel ran quickly up the nearest tree and chattered angrily down at Taehyung.

 

He probably would have tried to go after it if Jungkook hadn't stomped his feet in the grass to get Taehyung's attention. He turned around to face Jungkook and quickly crouched into an attack position. Tail high and twitching. Jungkook twitched his ear in annoyance but dropped down to meet Taehyung's stance.

 

Taehyung was the first to pounce. Not totally catching Jungkook by surprise. He still fell over from the attack and couldn't get his bearings for a couple moments. When he did though, they tumbled around in the grass. Each trying to gain the upper hand.

 

Soon enough they were panting hard and having a difficult time trying to top the other. And Jungkook was the victor. He flipped Taehyung face down into the ground and stretched across his back. He Taehyung's fur along his neck and up to his ear. He had the urge to do something but not sure what it was. Other than bite Taehyung's ear.

 

So he was about to take one soft, velvety ear in his mouth when the sky suddenly turned dark. Startling them both. Jungkook looked up. The moon was a bright crescent and a form stood in front of it. Jin.

 

Taehyung scrambled to his feet and ran off into the woods but Jungkook's attention was all on Jin. He stood on his hind legs and faced Jin as not a man but not a cat either. But like something in between that was both of his sides.

 

Jin lifted his hand and Jungkook looked carefully at it. Taking a good look for the first time since Jin had tried to touch him that second time in the woods. His palm faced Jungkook and he could see the two shining moon-shaped marks there. He wasn't shocked. He just brought Jin's hand toward his lips to nuzzle, then across his palm. Hoping the bite marks would miraculously become healed and go away...

 

Jungkook opened his eyes to see Jin staring at him with still curiosity in his eyes. He had to take a moment to realize where he was and what he was doing. He had fallen asleep in the living room but was now in Jin's sleeping room. In his human form and holding Jin's outstretched arm.

 

A blush crept across his face when he remembered his dream and swiftly shuffled back to the nearest wall. Embarrassed and frightened. He hadn't wanted to believe in destiny or whatever this was. But his dream had suggested otherwise.

 

"It's ok." Jin whispered. But no. It's never going to be okay again. Not like it had been with Taehyung and Yoongi and Namjoon.

 

***

 

"Hola." Taehyung chirped to Jin as he walked into the house. This is a complete 180 from the Taehyung of last week. Jimin must be having an influence on him. Jimin usually had quite an upbeat attitude but that couldn't be farther from the truth the way he was scowling now.

 

"Hola indeed." Jimin grumbled. Holding a towel to his elbow. The evidence of what was wrong also displayed on his other arm. The deep, red gashes marred his forearm. Jin raised his eyebrow quizzically. "I tried to teach Taehyung how to take a bath."

 

"Cats hate water." The three occupants of the living room chorused. Hoseok was sitting on the couch while the other two, in their human forms, sat on the floor watching "Dora the explorer". Way too close to the television.

 

"We did it." Taehyung exclaimed and smiled widely. He looked so cute when he smiled, Jin had to admit.

 

"We most certainly did not do it." Snapped Jimin. "He was filthy in his human form so I ran him a bath and got him undressed and brought him all the way into the bathroom. But when I tried to put him into the water, he changed into a cat, scratched the out my arms and ran into the other room." erted cat-owner, bathtub full of water, hilarious maiming.

 

"Cats hate water." Jin winced but let out a small chuckle.

 

"I don't." Jungkook stated. His voice almost too quiet to hear over Taehyung's new mantra. "It's nice on my feet."

 

Does he mean cat feet or human ones? And why does he sound so sad? Jin wondered.

 

Hoseok interrupted his thoughts with: "did you want to learn to take a bath?" Questioning Jungkook. But Jungkook turned away and pretended to ignore them both. Settling Taehyung down with a forceful hand on his arm.

 

Jin wanted to say something but he wasn't sure what. He was still awkward with Jungkook, even more so after the incident that happened the other night, and he couldn't find the right words to ask him how he was feeling. He looked at Hoseok then to Jimin. They were giving him the most judgemental faces he'd seen in a while. He's a bad cat owner and an even worse mate.

 

He sighed. I should go run him a bath and see if I can't try to get him in it. The moment he opened his bathroom door though, he shrieked Jimin's name in rage. Followed by: "why did you try to bathe Taehyung in my apartment?"

 

***

 

It was more common for them to leave the apartment during the day when Jin and Jimin were off to work. Those days they could just be cats again. And they would turn almost immediately after they got out of their 'owners' sight. Dropping clothes anywhere they liked. Jungkook would sometimes remember and come back for a shirt or old ratty pair of jeans if he happened to stumble across it. But usually they just found something else to wear either from their nest or another place they'd been dropped.

 

Jin had tried to clothe him a couple of times in nice clean clothes but after he came back in his regular garb, Jin had seemed annoyed. Even after he tried to explain that he probably would pick the ones Jin gave him at some point in time. And he was thankful. Though Jin didn't offer anything nice to him anymore until after he came home.

 

Jin was also worried that Jungkook and Taehyung would get lost. Which Jungkook thought was kinda stupid of him. They had followed his scent the first day so how could they forget the way back home. Home. Jungkook had always thought of the woods as home. Namjoon and Yoongi were home. But what had changed to make Jin's house now his own as well? He had claimed everything so he guessed that must be it. And Taehyung was close enough to come visit. Even in the middle of the night. Which had happened frequently in the first week or so. Jimin sleepily grumbling after him about his whining and scratching at the door.

 

Despite always being grumpy and annoyed at Taehyung, Jungkook could tell Jimin really wanted to take care of him. Of both of them. He always had something new to teach them and when it was his turn to 'babysit' -why babysit? They're not babies- he wouldn't just make them watch the tv. Sometimes they'd go for walks as humans, all over the city. Even Taehyung would stay in his human form the entire day. The new way of expressing himself changing his facial features.

 

Jungkook loved it. His heart warmed at every new thing Taehyung and he learned together. And even more just to look at Taehyung's face when they found out something like: ice cream was cold and messy and delicious. How there was a whole building of books. Books are things that humans look at. Like TV but even more boring. Or when finally he and Jimin got Taehyung to put his feet into the small wading pool at the park for human children.

 

Jungkook was so proud of Taehyung that he'd hugged him tightly and the side of his hair. Jimin had joined the hug but no . Humans don't .

 

And even though days with Taehyung and Jimin -and often with Hoseok- were fun and exciting, his nights were a different kind of exciting. He began to sleep in Jin's sleeping room at night. Curled up on the floor beside Jin's bed. And every night he'd have a dream about the moon and touching Jin's hand and he'd wake up as a human. Cold and shivering. He'd look over at Jin who was also always awake from his dream and Jin would lift the blanket for him to come lay down beside him. Cuddling like he and Taehyung used to always do.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

a/n: so.. the 'dora' part was a little dumb and irrelevent but i thought it was funny so i went with it. lol