8..

Define Destiny

The trails that led to the cats' camp were sticky with mud from the day's light rain. He had to tread carefully and try not to slip or trip over hidden roots. Except on downward trails where the roots actually helped him keep his footing. The slightly muddy trails were just off from the jogging route but Jin began to lose his sense of direction as they crisscrossed the trail and the paved parts. Like they were intentionally trying to get him lost.

 

There were many homeless nests they passed by, but at the end of their trek, they ended up not a sleeping area but a clearing that looked man-made. There was even a small stack of burnt wood in a pseudo seating area to indicate that someone had just reicently sat around in this place. Cat or human? Jin wondered.

 

Namjoon ordered Tae to get some dry firewood and announced that he and Yoongi would look for rabbits. Jungkook was to stay and watch Jin. 'Keep him company', was the phrase.

 

***

 

It was the first time Namjoon had heard Tae speak about what had happened to him as a kitten. He had heard rumours and chatterings that he could piece together the idea of the story. It was just very real hearing it. Even if it was in quotes and broken English.

 

Unlike Jungkook who's family had gently pushed him away when they sensed he wasn't like him, Taehyung's hadn't seemed to even notice he was different. Until one night he had woken up in a human body with the rest of his pack gone. He'd been so frightened and confused that he'd turned back to a cat immediately, but the damage was already done. He had spent days tracking them down and had pleaded them to take him back. He wouldn't turn into a human again. He would be good. But they'd refused. Hissing and beating him until he backed off. He never went back to their camp but he followed them wherever they wandered. Although soon, they disappeared as he slept once again.

 

This was where Namjoon knew from. A crow had found Taehyung half-starved and depressed. He had barely responded when Namjoon had his fur soothingly. It had taken a lot of work and caring from himself, Yoongi and Jungkook to heal Taehyung's broken spirit. And much more time for Tae to try and be human again. Namjoon knew then, but understood now, that he had been afraid of turning to his human form. Afraid that it would cause his new family to run away too. He felt all these emotions inside him again as he heard Taehyung tell the story in his own words. So later that night Namjoon and Yoongi took him to bed with them and loved him.

 

***

 

Jin and Jungkook lay close together under the shelter of the low-hanging branches of a cluster of trees. Discarded clothing making a mattress and an old canvas tarp covering their bodies as a blanket. It was warm enough, but Jin could only think of how he was going to have to throw away his own clothing the next morning and scrub down repeatedly in a hot shower to rid himself of filth and bugs.

 

Humans slept out here all the time. Namjoon had said. "But they don't really bother us." And it made Jin really sad, to be honest. Especially when they had told him about someone that had frozen to death in the winter. Cats have warm fur so if they cuddle up, they're usually fine. But humans don't. This was one of the last chances that Jin would have to sleep over at their 'place' before the weather got too cold for him.

 

As it was, he was grateful that he had Jungkook to sleep next to and share warmth with. The night had chilled the ground and air outside as they'd sat around chatting, so finally Yoongi had suggested they all go to bed. The two older ones had pulled Taehyung along with them and disappeared off into the darkness leaving Jin huddled in the tarp and Jungkook silent beside him. Yoongi and Namjoon had carried most of the conversation with Taehyung telling his story but afterward only interjecting something random here and there; so when they'd left, there was not really much to talk about. The two of them never really had a lot to say to eachother anyway.

 

But now, Jin had the urge to say something. Or just communicate in a verbal way with Jungkook, since cats are usually nonverbal and he wanted to make Jungkook feel comfortable. But he's a human too, dammit. And some things just had to be said aloud.

 

"Jungkook. Are you really sleepy?" He asked, looking for the glint of Jungkook's eyes. They shone with the reflection of unseen light and he mumbled in agreement before closing them. They lay there breathing for quite a while but Jin could tell Jungkook wasn't asleep yet.

 

"Do you think it's a mistake for humans to mate with...cats?" It sounded wrong coming out so it probably was. But he waited eagerly for Jungkook's answer.

 

Jungkook's eyes were open again, and looking right at him. "Do you mean us or Jimin and Tae?"

 

Jin had meant for Jungkook to address their own relationship but he couldn't help but think about those other two and what they were doing. Jungkook was constantly being protective of Taehyung, even though Tae was older. Not for the first time, he wondered if Jungkook and Taehyung had been on their way to something more before he'd crossed their path.

 

"Well, I know those two have something going on but I meant really mated." He hoped that his  voice didn't betray the bit of jealousy he was feeling. It wasn't fair of him to want Jungkook all to himself, but he hoped that the cat would have some sort of extra feelings for him only. Something special that only they shared.

 

He bravely scooted closer and reached his hand out to run his fingers hesitantly through Jungkook's hair. The oily strands felt smooth and only slightly tangled as Jin pet his head.

 

Jungkook's breath hitched slightly. "I don't know. I don't even know anything about mating as a cat." He whispered and leaned his face into Jin's touch needily.

 

Jin was surprised. And pleased, if he could admit it. He would really be Jungkook's first ever. The thought gave him courage to lean forward and place gentle lips against Jungkook's neck. He kissed up along Jungkook's jaw and chin. Landing finally on the soft lips that were his goal. Kissing him for the first time. The way he'd always wanted to ever since they'd begun sleeping in the same bed. The dreams would make them both so hot and hard but they'd never touched beyond a light brush of limbs as they settled beside eachother in Jin's soft bed. And here on the hard forest floor, the dream was becoming a reality.

 

Jin ran his tongue along Jungkook's lips tasting and teasing until Jungkook followed by experimentally back. Lapping softly at Jin's tongue and teeth. It felt so amazing to finally be getting all this built-up tension out, that Jin tightened his grip in Jungkook's hair and slotted his body even closer. Kissing him even more roughly.

 

It was getting so hot under the blanket and Jungkook began rutting his hips against Jin's, a low purring began in his chest. And it freaked Jin out. He was sure it was a good purr but maybe it wasn't. Maybe this was happening all too fast for Jungkook. And maybe Jin was taking things too far. Being too rough. He pulled his head away but couldn't see Jungkook's face in the deepddarkness of the night, so he couldn't even guess what the cat was feeling.

 

*

 

"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry." Jin whispered against Jungkook's cheek.

 

As he became more aware of his senses, Jungkook could feel himself purring. And realized how warm his body was. If Jin hadn't stopped just now, he knew he would have done anything his mate had wanted. It was a frightening thought. But also a disappointing one. Why had Jin stopped anyway?

 

He thought back to when they had found Taehyung in the bathtub that first night. Maybe he thinks I'm scared? His nervous purr had sounded nothing like Jungkook's had just now, be he supposed that humans couldn't tell the difference.

 

Sure enough, Jin was running his fingers slowly through his hair. Jungkook felt his softening, his heartbeat slowing as he closed his eyes. Enjoying the different pleasure. Jin is such a good human. He deserves better than this. Than me.

 

At that moment, Jungkook decided that no matter how sternly Namjoon protested, he would insist on staying in the woods when the morning came. There was still so much he needed to learn here before he would make a good mate for Jin.