Chapter 5

YOU ARE MY HEART: Original Ver.

What made my life sweet was the sweetness you filled my heart with.

What made my life bitter was when you couldn't remember.

What I lack, you'd fulfill.

What I desire, you'll remember.

You are my heart and I am yours.

Let them be whole once more.

- LeanteaLang (dedicated to MoonSun in You are my Heart)


Moonbyul slowly open her eyes, her vision were blurry and the sunlight blinded her. She lifted her hand on top of her eyes to block the sunlight and help them adjust better. It took her a couple of moments before she was able to regain some composure. Her head felt painful when she tries to get up but it wasn't the kind that was hurting from the inside. She held her hand to her head, but couldn't feel anything out of the ordinary. She dismissed it as nothing important and thought it to be a side effect from sleeping too long. Or at least she felt like she had been sleeping for a really long time.

She tries to scan her surrounding while her eyes were readjusting. In the blurry background stood a tall and a short figure, she couldn't make out who it was. She closed her eyes and shook her head slightly, as her vision became clearer she saw a woman and a little boy. The woman looks to be in her 20s and the boy was probably 4 years old. She looks at them curiously and the boy hid behind the woman. She tries to sit up on the side of the bed and the woman came over to help her. She slightly bowed her head as a gesture of thanks. The woman was smiling at her, it was a gentle smile. There was also tears in the woman's eyes, although Moonbyul doesn't understand why the woman was crying. Moonbyul was hesitant at first not wanting to hurt the woman's feelings but decided to asks the woman some questions in the end.

"I’m sorry to ask you this, but do we know each other?"

"You don't remember?" The woman asked surprised.

"N-no I'm sorry…" Moonbyul apologetically shook her head.

The woman sat down next to her and held her hand, "It's ok, the doctor have said that there was a possibility you will lose your memories. You had a head injury after all, it's something normal. They didn't say it was something permanent, so you don't have to rush it," the woman wiped away her teary eyes and show a sweet smile to Moonbyul.

Moonbyul thought to herself that she was really fortunate to know someone so understanding but felt bad for not remembering the woman. "A head injury?" Moonbyul continued.

"Mhm," the woman nodded, "You had an accident while helping someone, you fell from some height and hit your head on the pavement. I was really worried about you. Your arm was also broken but had healed now, which I'm really thankful for. I have been sitting by your bedside every day since your incident. I prayed and prayed that you would be able to wake up and my prayers have been answered. I'm really, really thankful for that," the woman eyes were filled with tears again, "You don't know how much my heart is jumping for joy seeing you awake now. I'm really, really happy and thankful that god have answered me and healed you," the woman wiped away her tears and sniffle, "It's really fortunate that nothing serious happened to you. If anything were to happen to you…" the woman paused for a moment, "I'm not sure how I'll survive," tears flow down her face and she wipes them away again. "That's why I've asked you again and again not to be so kind, but it's your nature and I suppose that's a quality I love about you. Just make sure you be careful from now on and take care of yourself. I don't like you risking your life like that, it really scares me. I don't want to lose you and I don't want to see you hurt." The woman wrapped her arm around Moonbyul's neck and place her forehead on Moonbyul's shoulder.

"I'm sorry to have worried you." Moonbyul apologize again while tapping the woman back in a form of comfort.

The woman let go of Moonbyul and apologize, "I'm sorry since you don't remember anything about me it must feel a little awkward for me to hug you."

"I should be the one apologizing for not being able to remember you…"

"It's not your fault so don't say that," the woman wipes away her tears and tries to smile, "look at me, you just woke up and already I gave you an earful."

"No it's alright, I like to hear about my past. I'd like to remember if I can."

"You don't have to force yourself to remember right away. I won't rush you so you don't have to rush yourself. I don't want you to feel any kind of pressure. You should take it slowly and if you can't remember then don't push it, alright? I'll always be here for you and we can always make new memories together. I just want you to be happy and healthy," the woman smiles again.

"Thank you. You are really kind."

"You don't have to thank me. It makes us feel like we are stranger," the woman said sadly. There was a moment of silence before she spoke again, "Oh, I almost forgot, Jae-Yoon ah come here."

The woman gesture to the boy who was hiding behind the side of the closet and poking his head out. He looks like he was afraid and was really hesitant to come near. Moonbyul looks at him curiously, then at the woman wondering who this little boy could be.

"Don't blame him he's really shy. You got involved in that accident not long after we adopted him, so he just needs some time to get reacquainted with you." The woman says apologetically.

"No I should be the one to blame," Moonbyul says softly, "When did we adopt him?"

"It was a couple of days before your accident. You really love children and was fond of him when you saw him, so we decided to adopt him. You really don't remember anything? Not a single thing?" The woman looks at Moonbyul curiously.

Moonbyul shook her head, "No, nothing at all…I'm really sorry," Moonbyul reply sadly, "I don't even recall my own name."

"It's alright, I'm here for you so I'll tell you anything that you want."

"Thank you…" Moonbyul's smiles slightly.

The woman got up from the bed and went toward the boy who was still cowering in the corner. She whispers to the boy and he smiles. Moonbyul's smiles along at the wonderful sight in front of her. She felt there's a warmth and kindness there when the boy and the woman smiles at each other. She got up and led the boy closer to Moonbyul.

"Should we introduce ourselves?" She asks the boy cheerily and the boy nodded.

"M-my n-name is…" The boy paused he was a little shaky, he looked at the woman and she urges him on gently. "M-my name is Moon Jae-Yoon."

"What is umma's name?"

"Park…Park…" the boy stuttered, the woman squat down to his height and whisper to him and he continue, "U-umma name is Park Young-Sun."

"And who's your appa?"

The boy look up at Moonbyul and she looks down at him, so tiny and delicate she thought. "Appa is right here," the boy pointed to Moonbyul.

"What's appa's name?" The woman urges him to continue.

"It's…It's…It's…" The woman whisper to the boy again before he continued, "Appa name is Moon Byul-Yi."

"Moon Byul-Yi?" Moonbyul questioned.

The woman nodded and says, "Yes, that's your name. It's lovely isn't it?"

Moonbyul nodded then gently asks the boy, "How old are you now?"

The boy lifted two fingers but answered, "I'm three now."

"He's turning four in a couple of months," the woman continued. "It's really great that you're awake now, we can spend his first birthday together as a family. It'll be fill with a lot more happiness with you around."

"I look forward to it," Moonbyul's smiles.

Moonbyul picked up the boy and he didn't fuss.

"Be careful," the woman exclaimed, "you just woke up."

"It's ok, I feel fine." Moonbyul assured her.

The woman sat down next to Moonbyul who was playing and laughing with the boy. She stares at them and tears fill her eyes. She wipe it away and open her purse. She took out a piece of rectangular paper, shiny and fills with color.

"I forgot I brought this along to show you," the woman tap on Moonbyul's shoulder to get her attention and gave her the object, "It's the first photo we took as a family. Here the two in the back are my parents, they passed away already. And see here in the front the three of us smiling happily. Jae-Yoon's smile looks just like yours, I think that's why you're so fond of him."

"You think so?" Moonbyul held the photo in her hand and smile.

Although the woman had told her so much and even showed her a picture she couldn't recall anything the woman had said. She felt sad and sorry toward the woman. She thought of apologizing but she didn't think it would help in any way and so she remain silent.

Then suddenly the boy grabbed on Moonbyul's shirt and yanked it softly a couple of times. "Appa, appa!," he screamed, "let's go outside! Let's go play!"

"Ok, ok." Moonbyul laughs and agrees without hesitation.

"That's a good idea," the woman says, "You've been laying in bed for a month now, it's good to move around and get some exercise, but nothing too overboard ok? You've just recovered after all."

"Ok!" Moonbyul and the boy says in unison.

Moonbyul handed the photo back to the woman and they proceeded to go outside together. Moonbyul held the boy in her arm as the woman walks beside her.

"There's one other thing I wanted to tell you," the woman started but became hesitant.

Moonbyul looks at her curiously and asks, "What is it? You can tell me."

"Since you're so kind," the woman continued, "There's a lot of people who wants to take advantage of your kindness, and now that you've lost your memories they might even try something else, something worst. I just don't want you to fall for their lies and trickery. You know how scary people are nowadays. They can fabricate just about anything and lie about anything. I stayed by your bedside every day so that I could prevent that from happening to you, so that the first person you see when you open your eyes will be someone you love. Someone from your past. I don't want you to be lied to," the woman says earnestly, "I hope I don't sound like I'm being harsh on others," the woman shyly look at the ground.

"I know you're just worried about me and I'm really happy that you care for me. I promise I won't believe anyone else or fall for their lies and trickery. Ok?"

The woman nodded and smile. The three of them went out to the courtyard and the woman sat down at the nearby bench while Moonbyul and the boy plays together. The woman watches them intently never taking her eyes off of them. Moonbyul acted like a plane, she ran around while carrying the boy on her back. Afterwards they found a caterpillar on the ground and watches as it crawl slowly away. Moonbyul also lifted the boy up in the air and spin him a little but she got a bit dizzy so they sat down on the ground to rest a bit. They stare at the clouds together and laugh at the different images they see. Then suddenly out of nowhere Moonbyul heard some familiar voices.

"Which moon would you choose then?"

"The one my heart beats for of course."

She looked around but there was no one beside her except the boy, but that wasn't the boy's voice. Moonbyul looks at the boy and he looks back at her curiously, a smile spread across his face. When she looks at the woman, the woman waves at Moonbyul and Moonbyul's smile slightly. Moonbyul thought it was strange but viewed it as nothing important. The boy got up and hurried Moonbyul to do the same. They went back to playing and laughing not long after and Moonbyul had forgotten about the voices she'd just heard. The woman got up from the bench and headed toward Moonbyul and the boy.

"It's time to head in. You need to rest," the woman says grabbing onto Moonbyul's arm.

"Aw~ can't we play some more?" The boy protested.

"Don't be like that, appa need to rest, ok?" The woman explained to him.

"Ok," The boy pouted.

"We'll play more tomorrow ok?" Moonbyul cheered him up.

"Ok!" The boy happily reply, "I want a piggyback ride," the boy added.

Moonbyul happily comply to his request and squat down for him to get onto her back. The woman didn't want Moonbyul to overexert herself but Moonbyul assured her that it was fine. As they were heading back inside Moonbyul noticed a girl standing in the distant with tears in her eyes. She was looking in the direction of Moonbyul and Moonbyul felt like she was staring at her. Moonbyul looked back at the girl and noticed that the girl had quickly wipe away her tears and began to smile. Moonbyul doesn't quite know what is wrong with the girl, so she decided to avoid making eye contact. She didn't want to get involved in the girl's problem and causes the woman to worry. As she was passing by the girl she felt something grabbed onto her arm. It was the girl she just saw, her eyes now show sign of confusion and sadness as she gripped onto Moonbyul arm tightly. Moonbyul look down at her arm and up at the girl.

"What's wrong miss?" Moonbyul asks curiously, "Do we know each other?"

The girl was speechless for a moment before she responded, "What do you mean?" The girl asks tears swelling up in her eyes, "It's me, Yong-Sun," Solar exclaimed.

"Young-Sun?" Moonbyul repeated curiously.

"No, no," Solar protested, "Yong-Sun. Kim Yong-Sun. Byul-Kong ah, don't joke around it's not funny!" Solar sternly said.

"Byul-Kong?" Moonbyul look at her even more confused now than before.

The woman, Park Young-Sun, tugged at Moonbyul's sleeve and said, "We should go."

"Who's this woman!?" Solar demanded angrily, utter confusion shows on her face.

"Appa," the boy shakily said, "Who's this woman? She's scary!"

"A-appa?" Solar was speechless and she looks like she was about to break down.

"Miss," Moonbyul began, "I think you have the wrong person. You're scaring the boy so if you don't mind, please let go of my arm. We have to go."

Solar didn't let go, she continued to held onto Moonbyul's arm, "Wrong person?" Solar voice was shaky, "How could I ever mistake you for anyone else? Don't do this to me," tears were falling down her eyes. "Please don't do this to me, I beg you. If you're angry with me then please tell me. If you didn't like it when I pretended to be angry and pretended not to care about you. I can change. I won't do it anymore. Please don't…don't do this to me, please…" Solar pleaded tearfully.

Moonbyul looks at the woman and say, "Take him home," the woman was about to speak but Moonbyul nodded and assured her that it's fine. The woman carries the boy off of Moonbyul's back and walked away. She glared back at Solar for a brief second when she noticed Moonbyul was no longer looking her way. Solar was still hanging onto Moonbyul's arm with both hands crying and pleading.

"Miss, I really don't know you," Moonbyul continued. She placed her hand on Solar's as she try to calm Solar down. She looks earnestly in Solar's eyes, "I really think you have the wrong person. So let go of my arm ok?"

Solar loosen her grip on Moonbyul's arm but then she wrapped her arms around Moonbyul's waist and tightly hugged her. Moonbyul was taken aback and her hands were in the air. Solar continues to cry and her tears were flowing down onto Moonbyul's shirt.

"Miss…" Moonbyul says softly, "Don't cry, everyone's going to think I made you cry."

"Please don't…" Solar continue pleading and crying. "Don't say you don't remember me. Please tell me you were just joking. Please…I…I…"

Moonbyul yanked Solar away from her, her hands gripping Solar's arms. She look Solar straight in the eyes and says, "Miss don't act this way. I don't know what happened to you and I could see that you're exhausted, but you shouldn't act like this. So stop, ok?" Moonbyul let go of Solar arms and started to walk off. Solar instantly grabbed onto Moonbyul's arm again.

"It's ok, I understand," Solar tries to wipe her tears, "you just need a little bit of time to remember. They say talking about the past will help people remember."

"Please stop this," Moonbyul says sternly and impatiently.

"Do you remember the first box of mint chocolate you gave to me?" Moonbyul looks away sighing, "Do you remember what you wrote inside it? How you say you wanted to be my heart?" Solar continued regardless of Moonbyul objection.

"No I don't, so please stop!" Solar tighten her gripped on Moonbyul's arm and was about to speak again but then, "I said let go!" Moonbyul raised her voice and yanked her arm away from Solar angrily. Solar fell onto the ground and her heart felt as if it had been shattered. She wanted to scream loudly but no sounds came out. Only tears continue to fall endlessly down her face as Moonbyul disappears slowly in the distant.


- I have receive some question concerning Park Young Sun identity, so I will clarify it here. She's an original character that I've created for this story (does not reflect anyone in real life), she will be reveal more as the story continues. I thought about naming her Kim Young Sun to really match with Kim Yong-Sun (Solar) but I decided to change the last name to Park. :D I hope that clarify it <3

 

- Thank you to all the readers for loving the story. I wanted to apologize about not being able to answer all the questions in the comment. Thank you for your understanding :)