First Day of Language Class

Thirteen Months

[Liyeong’s POV]

“Thanks for the meal,” I called as I went back in my dorm. Onew oppa, smiling huge, never took his eyes off me, waving bye as he ran into the door. I giggled. It was his clumsiness and sangtae that made him so cute. The whole time with him, I’d felt all starstruck as never before with any other guy. Just seeing his smile made me break out into a grin too, as I recalled the conversation we’d had. After the initial awkwardness at the library and in the street, we’d started to talk more. And he seemed to like it when I called him “oppa”...

[Now it’s Monday morning. A/N: I skipped Sunday simply because it would make more sense if I just cut to the action. It’s immature, I know, but otherwise it won’t be that interesting. They do have a long time to get to know each other, so I may skip days or weeks from time to time to move the story along. Sorry if this bugs you >.<]

Jojo isseun umagi meomchulttae neon bonnaellae~ Jojo janinhan neoneun wae jiwojiji annyago~ oh~ My cell phone ringtone alarm blared for me to get up. I rolled out of the bed and opened the fridge, remembering how I’d bought groceries yesterday. After scrambling an egg, toasting a bagel, and heating up some tea, I sat down to breakfast. Just as I was about to finish –

“Oww – stop that, hyung,” I heard Taemin’s voice. “Shhhh,” Key urged. “We’re on mission Secretly-stock-our-neighbor’s-fridge-without-hyungs-knowing. So keep quiet.” I looked up at the door to see them and Minho dragging a buttload of groceries into my dorm, trying to be sneaky. I chuckled at this feeble attempt. “Wouldn’t they realize you’re gone?” I wondered aloud.

“No Jonghyun and Onew hyung especially sleep like logs,” Taemin grinned. “But we have to get back before they wake up. Today’s our first Mandarin class in a long time, and we can’t be late. I wonder if it’s a private class?” Oh yeah. I’d been so caught up in the neighbor thing, I’d almost forgot we had months of language classes together. I smiled. “Oh, you’ll find out soon enough.” Taemin looked at Minho and Key quizzically, but they were absorbed in stuffing my pantry and fridge with their loot. Then they scurried out of my room at top speed, whisper-calling, “Thanks, see ya later!” Go figure.

After brushing my teeth and checking my bags for the tenth time, I left the dorm and walked to the SM Academy building a block away. Looking at my information sheet after entering the building, I went up the stairs to the second floor. “201, 202, 203, oh there’s room 204,” I murmured aloud, and entered the room. The five guys were already sitting there. How had they gotten there before me? As soon as they heard me they all looked up.

“Hey what are you doing here? Haven’t we seen you enough already?” Jonghyun demanded. I rolled my eyes.

“Jong, just chill,” Onew grumbled. “What’s your problem anyway?” I suppressed a smile as I noticed him getting all defensive.

“Aigoo, do you all know each other already?” The teacher stood up and I jumped in shock. I hadn’t noticed him preparing the lesson in the corner, but here he was.

“No,” Minho said quickly. Huh? “Yes we—” Jonghyun began, but Minho stomped on his foot beneath the table and Jonghyun fell silent. We looked at Minho quizzically. “Ohh,” Taemin whispered in my ear, “it must be he wants to keep your dorm next to ours. For the food, you know.” I nodded in understanding. Thankfully the teacher didn’t seem to notice this little exchange.

“Is this the whole class, seonsaengnim?” Jonghyun asked the teacher.

“Yes, it’s just the six of you for Mandarin and Korean,” the teacher replied cheerfully. “I’m Teacher Park, and I’ll be working on developing your Mandarin skills”—he pointed to the Shinee members—“and your Korean.” He pointed at me. The guys all gaped at each other: everyone’s was one of surprise and delight except Jonghyun’s, which was more of a Her? In our class? For how many months?!  “First of all, let’s go around and say our names,” Teacher Park began.

“Lee Jinki imnida.” “Kim Jonghyun imnida.” “Kim Kibum imnida.” “Choi Minho imnida.” “Lee Taemin imnida.” Finally my turn. “Jang Liyeong imnida.”

“Great!” Teacher Park clapped his hands enthusiastically. Minho looked at me and rolled his eyes ever so slightly. I tried not to laugh. “Today, we’re going to work on talking about ourselves and what we like and don’t like. Everyone will go around and say a like and dislike in both Chinese and Korean. We’ll do Korean first. Jinki, will you start?”

“Umm...I like chicken dates!” Onew said quickly, then covered his mouth. “Except not the dates part,” he added quickly, but it was too late. “Ooooohhhhhhh,” the others chorused, “who did you go on a chicken date with?” Onew looked at me furtively, and I pursed my lips trying not to smile.

“Was it Sica noona?” Taemin tried. “Is she in f(x)?” Key asked. Onew shook his head. “Lee Minjung! Shin Sekyung!” Jonghyun piped up, earning a huge eye roll from everyone. (Hello Baby reference there ;D) “Is she in SNSD?” Minho asked. Onew kept shaking his head. “I never went on a chicken date,” he insisted. I popped my mouth and hoped they just forgot I was here.

“Is she a noona or dongsaeng?” “Is she Korean?” “Is she pretty?” The other members kept bombarding him with questions and hitting him with their notebooks. Then Taemin suddenly turned around. “WAIT. Is it Liyeong noona?”

“ANIYO,” Onew shouted too quickly.

“AHHHHHHHHHH! It’s Liyeong noona!” Key screamed. “Couple names...let’s see...Jinki and Liyeong, Jinyeong? No that’s too plain. Aha, Onyeong sounds better! Annyeong, Onyeong! Aigoo, I’m such a genius, Key the Almighty Genius!” He got up and started dancing again, obviously proud of his new creation. I laughed.

“But I never said it was her!” Onew protested.

“Yeah, but the fact you said ANIYO so fast gave you away,” Taemin said. “Besides, we all know you’re a terrible liar, hyung.” Onew blushed, but still insisted, “I didn’t go on a chicken date!”

“Oh whatever, it’s not a big deal, it was just going downstairs with oppa for chicken,” I finally said. They all turned to look at me. Even Key stopped dancing.

“So it really is true, Onyeong is official!” Taemin smiled that adorable maknae smile of his. “Congratulations on your first girlfriend, hyung!” They all began hounding him again.

“Aish, stop embarrassing me,” Onew grumbled. I took the opportunity to look at each of the members in turn.

Onew, despite his pretend poutiness, was clearly delighted.

Key was taking turns between dancing and chanting “Onyeong Onyeong” in Onew’s ear.

Taemin was busily making Onew a “congratulations, you have a girlfriend” card.

Minho sat there, forcibly pretending to be happy, but in reality looking quite stony-faced. To be honest, it was kind of scary. Minho was quite enigmatic.

And Jonghyun just frowned. Was it because he thought Onew had picked a girl below him? Or was he...no, he couldn’t be jealous? I mean, Jonghyun hated my guts, right?

“Okay, I think today’s class has sustained enough conversation,” Teacher Park smiled nervously. “You are dismissed now." 

What was it all supposed to mean?

------------------------------------------

ahhhh! it's out! :O and what was it all supposed to mean? sub to find out when i post ;) and tyty to my new subbers! I would appreciate if you commented with suggestions or just random comments every few chapters...so I know you're still alive...please and thank you <3

ewwww tmw's monday. who's NOT excited for school again? lol xD