First Date...?

Thirteen Months

[Onew’s POV]

A perfectly good opportunity ALONE, WITHOUT the other guys hanging around, with this new and interesting girl, and I’d turned to mush as soon as she started talking to me. Be a man, Jinki, I scolded myself. Why didn’t I know what to do after the basic “hi”? Why didn’t they teach us these things in school? She probably thought of me as weird and awkward now, not like suave gentlemanly Minho or friendly maknae Taemin.

Just then I noticed her about to cross the street. Doing the first thing I could think of, I called to her, “Wait!” She whirled around and broke out into a smile. Was it really because of me and me only? “Umm...do you want to go out for some chicken?” Immediately I wished I’d said something else. BABO, she was cleaning up the couch less than an hour ago because she ate spaghetti. What if she doesn’t even like chicken? They probably have it way too much in America. I waited for her negative answer, but it never came. “Sure,” she grinned. Her eyes were like rays of sunshine warming my heart. Maybe someday I’d be able to talk to her in her native language?

We strolled along the street towards my favorite chicken place. I noticed she seemed torn between staring at the ground and me. “So...ummm...I hear you’re Chinese?” I began. She nodded, as I racked my brains for what Chinese I knew. “Ni shi ying yue xue sheng, dui ma (You’re a music student, right)?” She giggled and nodded. Had I said something funny? “Shen me shi (What’s the matter)?” I asked. She bit her lip, trying not to laugh again. Her lips were so soft and full, I had to suppress an instinctive urge to caress them.

“It’s just...your accent...is really cute,” she finally admitted. I scowled. Her pronunciation in Korean was pretty flawless. “Mianhaeyo,” she said solemnly. “But your basic grammar is all good.” I felt a little more relieved that she wasn’t laughing with mean intentions. Before I knew it we were at the chicken shop. I held the door open for her, and she smiled again, her rays of sunshine melting my heart all over.

“Hey, if it isn’t my favorite customer,” the chicken shop hyung called. He was like an uncle to me. “Hyung, shhhh,” I waved, running to the counter. “You know how I hate having attention drawn to me,” I whispered. Chicken shop hyung looked at Liyeong, and then turned back to me. “Wow, you never bring anyone else besides the guys, and even then they look like they were forced half the time.” He turned to Liyeong. “Did this punk drag you here?” I glared at hyung meaningfully. He needed to stop trying to be so funny all the time.

Liyeong was cool about it though. “Aniyo,” she laughed. “I love chicken too, but probably just not quite as much as Onew oppa.” Wait, did she just call me oppa? I felt all mushy and warm inside. Maybe there was a chance that she really did like me!

“Of course, no one loves chicken as much as he does,” chicken shop hyung agreed. “What’ll it be for you two lovebirds today?” O.o did he just say lovebirds? I shot a peek at Liyeong, who seemed a little taken aback. “Umm...we’re just friends,” she quickly said. The warm mushy feeling I had earlier was replaced with a heavy rock. We’re just friends. I dearly hoped I’d never hear her say those words again, even if it was just to the chicken shop hyung.

No, I thought as we ate, I was already too far fallen for her. And there was nothing I could do to stop it. But whatever happened, friends wouldn’t be enough.

-------------------------

ahhhh onew the lovestruck! he has no idea of her feelings for him! :) sorry that chap was a bit shorter, I'll try to get one more up tonight. and thanks to all my new subbers! i love you all! <3