Meeting Dubu

Thirteen Months

[the same third-person narrator]

“So what do you think of the new neighbor noona?” Taemin asked as they left the room.

“I don’t know,” Minho said, opening the door to their dorm. “But I really want to get to know her better.”

“Me too,” the others sighed. “Wait,” Minho held them back suddenly and whispered, “about this deal with Liyeong...let’s keep it a secret from the hyungs, kay?”

“Wae?” Taemin asked. “We share everything with them...right?”

“It would...just be a good joke, don’t you think? Especially on Jonghyun,” Minho suggested. Or was he motivated by other feelings?

“Okay,” Key and Taemin shrugged as they walked in.

“Hey where did you two go?” Onew asked. “We go downstairs, come back up and find all of you gone.”

“We were dropping Liyeong off at her room, remember?” Key said.

“Yeah but how long does that take? And we didn’t see you anywhere in the hallway as we came up,” Jonghyun answered.

“Ummm we were playing a game of hide-and-seek!” Taemin said, after a meaningful look from Minho.

“Kids,” Onew rolled his eyes in mock maturity. “How is she our neighbor anyway?” he asked, trying not to seem to curious, even though he couldn’t forget her from last night.

“She’s Chinese from the US studying at academy for music technology,” Taemin answered simply. “Do you have any pocky, I’m hungry.”

“Get it yourself,” Onew said. His mind began to race. Chinese? Hmm. “Hey I’m going to the bookstore to study, so I’ll see you guys later,” he called.

“What a nerd,” Jonghyun chuckled, winking at the others. They all knew the high priority Onew had for studying. “See ya.”

[Liyeong’s POV]

Even though it was just a small encounter I’d had with my new neighbors, my heart was racing as they left. The three of them were all so funny and kind, not like Jonghyun last night. And, I had pretty much unlimited access to a beautiful baby grand piano. The seemingly crappy day had suddenly blossomed into a beautiful one, thanks to those five minutes.

Taking out my computer, I finally decided to Skype my family; then I remembered it was the middle of the night over there. So instead I sent them an email letting them know everything was fine and I’d gotten settled in. I didn’t mention anything about the guys; it was better that way. Finally, I grabbed my bag and headed downstairs to check out what there was around the dorm building.

Looking across the street as I stepped outside, I saw a huge bookstore. Suddenly I had a brilliant idea. Maybe I could get a head start and extra practice in my Korean so I could talk to my neighbors. Even though I knew I only had a few hours, I figured I’d buy a few books and head back to the dorm. It’s not like I had anything planned.

Entering the bookstore, I looked for the languages section. The directory pointed me to the second floor, so I walked upstairs and saw a wide array of language books laid out in front of me: Japanese, English, Chinese...there, Quick and Easy Korean. I picked up the book and flipped to Chapter 1: Introductions. I read and practiced the phrases silently when I heard a voice say, “Ummm...hi.”

I looked up and gasped in surprise. Standing across from me was Onew. Onew alone, not with the other guys. He had on glasses, but he was still easy to recognize. I noticed he was just as attractive with glasses as without. Dang, had he heard me mumbling my basic phrases like an idiot? “Ohh hi,” I managed to say, and then wanting to smack myself in the head for sounding so disappointed, because I wasn’t.

“So...umm...you’re our new neighbor? Jang Liyeong, right?” he said.

“Yeah, I guess so,” I smiled stupidly, playing with my hair, which I did when I was nervous. “What brings you here?” Gosh why was I so tense and awkward around him?

“Oh, I just thought I’d get some study materials,” he said quickly, turning slightly pink. Study?! Call me a nerd, but I love a smart guy. He sings, dances, and he’s got brains. So perfect. If only...

“What about you?” he asked, waking me from my mini-reverie.

“Ummm, same,” I said with equal nonchalance. Onew looked at the book I’d been reading. “Quick and Easy Korean?” he read in Engrish. I bit my lip, trying not to giggle. “Yeah,” I shrugged. “What language are you learning?”

“Oh, ummm, ermm, Mandarin,” he finally managed to say casually. Flushing bright red now and unsure of what to do next, he quickly grabbed the Mandarin language book and went downstairs. Why was he leaving so abruptly? Had my incapacity for conversation scared him that much? What was wrong with me? I took my Korean workbook and followed him to the checkout counters, sneaking a glance at him every so often while we were both being helped. Leaving the bookstore, I sighed. A perfectly good opportunity ALONE with the dubu of my dreams, and I’d killed it somehow.

--------------------

=_= sorry if this chapter is more boring, there's a lot more description than dialogue. i'm still working on a balance. don't forget to sub and comment if you like! thanks to those who are already subbing you make my day! will update later tonight! <3