Six

Mr. Kim & I

A week pass after my first encounter with Mr. Kim Jongin, I have never expected that I'm getting busier since that day. Not only some paperworks waiting to be done, but more and various kind of patients came to the hospital too. Fracture here and there and Professor Junlee seems not to let me have a proper rest since my course-mate, Amanda Young, hasn't come back yet to Seoul due to her family's matter. It's not like I don't like it, but now I really just need more time to sleep since I'm about to turn into a zombie soon.

It's almost lunch time when I stand in the bathroom hospital, looking at myself in the mirror. "Look at you, Al," I mutter to myself. "You look unbelievably pathetic."

I wash my hand and in all of sudden, just like a lightning strikes the earth, an idea about visiting one of my patient pops out inside my brain. My weird patient last week. It's been a week and I haven't seen him in a while and I kinda want to know what he's been doing since then. I think it's not gonna be creepy, right? I ask myself, half-worried if he wouldn't like it to see me knocking on his door uninvitedly. But somehow, I walk out of the bathroom and send myself to the VVVIP room in the second floor.

---

I knock the door half-loudly to indicate that somebody is going to enter, because I think the doctor should not wait outside their own patient's room. Am I right? I push the door anyway and immediately some unfamiliar faces greet me in a slight surprised.

"Annyong-haseyo," I bow to everyone in the room as I notice there are so many guys around Mr. Kim Jongin, who somehow looks a lot more cheerful and *cough* handsome compared to the last time I saw him.

All the guys bow back and mutter hi to me, then I hear Mr. Kim tells them, "she's the doctor too."

I smile to them as I walk near the bed and one of them, who's the tallest one, asks in confused voice, "but where's Doctor Junlee?"

"Oh, he's still taking care of him. I'm here just to help." I answer politely and tilt my head to face Mr. Kim, "so, how do you feel, Mr. Kim?"

I hear the guys almost burst into laughter as I stated "Mr Kim", but he goes on while staring at me, "I feel grand. But, where have you been anyway, Doc?"

I smile again, and I can vaguely feel some creatures groan inside my stomach, "there has been a little more work to be done and I think Professor Junlee has been taking a great care of you." I answer as I look around the room, his stares are gonna kill me honestly.

He doesn't answer, and I am just about to start talking again while I spot a few empty boxes of chickens pile up on the sofa. "Mr. Kim? Did you eat that?" I point to the boxes.

He turns to where I pointed out and nods innocently, then grins.

I sigh. Oh this guy. "But, you can't eat that now, do you know that? You said you need to get better soon, but you--"

But before I can finish my words, one of the guys speaks up, this time is the one who has the adorable heart-shaped lips, with a very serious expression on his face. "Doctor, it's not Jongin's fault. We are sorry, its ours. We couldn't help but to sneak in chickens to cheer him up. But, we promise it won't happen anymore."

I still for a moment, not knowing what to answer but then the other guy barks in. "Not too serious, Kyungsoo-yah, I think she's around our age." I personally think he looks like a cute puppy. "Doctor, we're terribly sorry. But, our friend Jongin really loves chicken, he couldn't spend a day without chicken." He adds.

"Even when he just wakes up, he grabs the phone immediately to call for chicken to be delivered to our dorm." The tallest one adds. Man, his voice is too deep and manly for his baby-like face.

I laugh hearing his joke, but then Mr. Kim says to the guys, "she doesn't know us."

"What?"

"What?"

"Really?"

What? My eyes scan from face to face around me. From Mr. Kim, who looks just holding his smile, from the tallest guy to the cute-puppy look alike, the heart-shaped lips guy, and the also-very-tall with a very fair skin next to him, and oh gosh, why are they so many? They are about seven or eight and right now they all look so surprised upon Mr. Kim's statement.

"You don't know us?" The guy with the black hair asks, this one looks like a kiddo.

I shake my head vaguely, "is it that weird that I don't know any of you?" I ask, convicing myself that I'm not going to offend them with my answer. Like, do I really have to know them? But, then, they just burst into a laughter and some of them just clap their hands. "Daebak!"

I just still.

"Hyung, do we need to introduce ourselves to her now?" The tallest asks the kid-looking guy, but Mr. Kim cuts in while waving his hand in the air. "No, no, no. Just leave it like this." Mr. Kim adjust his seating position on the bed, and starts pointing each guys in order, "so, Chanyeol, Baekhyun, Sehun, and that's Kyungsoo, Jumnyeon, and the ramen hair lastly, Jongdae Hyung."

I look at their eyes one by one and bow politely. "Hello everyone. I'm Alaska."

The tallest one, again, who's now I know as Chanyeol, asks in a little shock, "Alaska? Wow, what a good name."

"But, I think we are all at the same age, Doctor?" The ramen hair Jongdae raises his voice.

"Well, I'm 23 years old. I don't know if you're at my age though."

Chanyeol and Jongin clap. Kyungsoo just smiles there. And the rest just laugh in acknowledgement. And I get more and more confused.

"Doc, you're even younger than our maknae Sehunnie." Jongin says while Sehun nods.

My eyes widens, but I'm not too surprised anyway. Chanyeol and Baekyun look older than me actually. "So, you're all... oppas to me?"

"Ah," some of them clap while laughing, a gentle one. "Yes, call us oppa." Jongin adds, his grin grows even wider like its gonna reach both of his ears now.

I frown, half-jokingly, and mutter, "I just dont call people oppa." The idea of myself calling people 'oppa' just irritates me, remembering the days when I still often my Korean-obsessed friends back in my country calling those actors and singers on TV with that word, oppa.

"Why not?" Jongdae asks, curious.

I shake my head, "no specific reason. But, anyway," I spin around to Jongin, "the nurse will come in a minute to bring you the right lunch and you need to eat it for the sake of your recovery, Mr. Kim."

"Stop calling me Mr. Kim, Doc." He pouts as he says that and I have to remind myself that he can't be that cute. He's your patient, Al. "Just call me Jongin."

I chuckle and then go back to face the rest of the guys, "and please, don't bring chicken anymore. You want him to get out of this place soon, right?"

All of them nod and Kyungsoo mutters again, "we're so sorry."

I wave at him and smile, "I need to leave now. Excuse me." I take a step and look again at Jongin, "have a good rest, Mr. Kim."

He looks annoyed, "just Jongin, please." I grin as I speed up toward the door. "Are you coming again tomorrow?"

I stop and look back at him, all eyes on me, which somehow this fact about seven good-looking guys are currently looking at me sends shiver down my spine. I don't have the reason to be nervous, I remind myself. "I don't know, but I will come if Professor wants me to."

"What if I want you to?"

Whoa. It does feel like something inside my heart falls down right into my stomach. I look around, searching for some help but all I find is just naughty grinning faces around. "Well," I try to collect my voice, "we can see tomorrow. But, I need to leave, see you all again soon." I immediately open the knob and shut the door behind me before they can see my face flushed.

I just stand there, back on the door, still amusing the day's event that feels so surreal to happen. What was that?

"She's so cold," I can hear one of the guys says inside, so loud honestly.

"But she's different."

This time I really can't figure out who just said that.

---

It's past dinner time when I'm finally able to walk home from the hospital. It's been a busy week and all I really need to sleep. My eyes hurt from too much sitting infront of my laptop to work out some of the papers and I can feel the ache all over my body for the lack of rest. I walk into the subway station and notice that someone calls my name in a distance, "Alaska-yah!"

I whirl around. It's Yuri.

"Hey, where are you going?" I ask her when she finally speeds up beside me. She slips her hand into my arm while walking.

"Meeting Seungri. Where are you going?"

Seungri is his boyfriend who works as a doctor in another hospital in the city. "Going home. It's a weird day today!" I sigh.

She laughs her typical laugh, "what happened?"

"Encountered some random guys in my patient's room who asked me to call them oppa!"

She laughs again, "some random guys? Aly, is it the time finally come after six weeks?"

I look over at her, not this again, Yuri. "What?"

"You need a boyfriend."

I roll my eyes. "I don't and it doesn't make sense between calling them oppa and myself needing a boyfriend."

She pokes my cheek, "guys here really love when girls calling them oppa, honey."

I wave my hand as I take my subway card from my sling bag, "I don't care, Yuri."

"Wow, so cold," she says playfully, then shoves my arm. "Anyway, I'll see you at the flat! Have a good rest, sugar!"

Then, without me able waving goodbye to her, Yuri disappears in the crowd.