Two

Mr. Kim & I

Late October, Seoul.

It's been six weeks since I landed safely and beautifully in the heart of South Korea and the days in new school has already started. It's been fun anyway. More than I expected it would be and I can admit it now that this city, Seoul, is somehow so beautiful with anything it can offer everyday. The modern and urban buildings that awes you, and in just one blink you will see around that nobody in the city also wont let the traditional culture dies. From the amazing archictecture, beautiful temples and palaces, trendy night markets, yummy streetfoods, cute and cozy cafes and endless and endless high quality fashion stores and beauty products. And bubble tea. And Pat-BingSoo. Oh yum.

Meh, now what? Who said 'I have no idea how would I survive in that country'?

Yeah, it's me. Alaska Putri.

"Ms. Putri," I hear someone calls me.

"Yes, Proffesor?" I stand up from my chair as I see Professor Junlee walk into the room. He's the one who was responsible for my scholarship recommendation and I think he's also the one who will be responsible of me for the next two years?

"Um," he hesitates. "I know you have day off tomorrow on Saturday, but Ms. Young isn't able to come tomorrow since she's still in California for her family."

I nod politely, waiting for the next sentences tough I already can smell where this conversation will end up.

"And I need someone to stand-by in our department tomorrow."

I nod again, "sure, Professor. I'm able to come again tomorrow since I don't have any plan yet."

He gives me his warm smile. "Thank you very much. Well, see you tomorrow."

I smile. "See you, Prof--"

Before I can finish my setence, he cuts in. "Ah, don't worry. I'll give you extra credit for it."

My eyes widens as I hear that and I smile again, "thank you very much, Professor."

 

-----

The sky's dark already when I walk out from the hospital where I work. Have I told you that my scholarship in Orthopaedics requires me to work three days a week and seven hours a day in the hospital? Well, now you know. It's not actually I'm working there, it's more like I'm in the hospital with the professor who will give me the lesson about that Orthopaedics-related subject. But, the thing is, when you take the medicine specialization, you won't take notes and listen to the boring lecture in the class anymore. You will learn and study in the hospital, with you as (let's we say) the doctor's assistant and the real patient will come and discuss their cases and that's the time when you study for your specialization.

So, yeah. That's basically what I've been doing for a month now.

It's friday and as the evening grows deeper, the wind blows stronger too. November will arrive in a blink which makes wearing a jumper over a thin shirt wont make any sense anymore.

I walk past the butcher and I notice the old-lady who's actually the seller stands by the door. She smiles.

"Oh, annyong-haseyo." I greet her politely with a bow with my poor Korean. "How are you doing today?"

She smiles brightly, "annyong, Alaska-ssi. I'm fine, just watching TV now." She points at the TV inside her shop and I notice that it shows a bunch of guys dancing and singing in such a perfect rythm. "It's late for friday night, are you busy?" she asks.

I look at her again and wave as a gesture, "aniyo, it's okay. It's been great in the hospital actually."

She nods and continues, "ah, that's good then. Have rest and don't get cold, ok? It's getting colder now!"

I smile and bow again, "thank you, Ma'am. Have a great evening!"

"You too, Alaska-ssi."

I wave goodbye and walk again toward the subway station.