Mistake

Rise of the Blood

 

My Dear Readers, I am so sorry it took me a while again before I could update this. :(  As you know my schedule is  very busy. Thank you for your patience. :)

 

 

Chapter 7

Mistake

 

 

It had been several days after a student almost hit Sulli with an arrow during his practice. Donghae did not see any untoward actions with the student. He was monitored all throughout the day but nothing suspicious was found.

After several days, Donghae decided that the student must’ve just been negligent. But Minho is far from convinced. He felt it, something in his gut. This is more than what it seems. There is definitely something that has to be uncovered.

There is danger.

He knows it.

He feels it.

And the victim is being targeted.

The victim is Sulli.

But who wants to hurt her?

There could be many potential culprit. She’s not the most loved person in Davidar. There are many people who would want her to leave Davidar. But the number of those people had actually decreased through the months. Who would have such a grudge on her until now?

Minho saw it when the student went out of his room. This was what he’s been waiting for. He knows the student is hiding something.

The student walked the hallways in the dark. It was almost midnight and he’s well alone. Minho followed him silently. Minho’s eyes narrowed as the student went to the school botanical garden. He did not expect the student to go that far.

The student entered the botanical garden looking around before he did so.

“You’re late.” Said a voice of a woman, a very familiar voice of a woman.

“I apologize. I could not leave the usual hours I did in the past.” Said the student.

Minho can hear everything. He looked around. He can’t enter the garden, he will be discovered. If he wants to catch the culprit, he has to make sure he has evidence first before attacking. Minho flew up to the roof and lightly walked to the position of the student. The roof was glass, Minho could see them from above. The student was talking with two people who were wearing hooded cloaks.

“We have waited for you for several nights. Why is the human girl still walking without even an injury?” Said the other hooded person, also a voice of a woman. “You have failed your mission.”

The student knelt nervously.

“The arrow was surely going to it her. I was certain of that. I will never miss her. But… but… the Dragon Knight… he intervened.” Said the student.

“Minho?”  “Sir Minho?”

The two women spoke at once.

Minho clenched his hand. So this has something to do with him after all.

“No. It was Sir Donghae.” Said the student. “It was him who caught the arrow before it hit the human girl. He immediately found out the arrow came from me.”

“Of course he would. He’s a Dragon Knight after all.” Said the taller woman.

“What do we do now? The Dragon Knights are involved now. It would be difficult to throw her out with this.” Said the other woman.

“For sure it would be complicated from now on.” Said the taller woman. “Then we have to make sure we are more careful. We did not expect the Dragon Knights will get involved.”

The conversation did not last long. After a few more words the student was dismissed.

Minho stayed on the roof listening.

“I have talked to someone else who could help us.” Said the shorter woman. “I will make sure we plot this one better.”

“No… This time we need to put our heads together. We do not know how much attention Dragon Knights are putting into this.” Said the taller woman.

“They will assume this is just a random attack on the human girl. Everybody hates her so it will not be difficult to point the fingers to anyone.” Said the shorter girl.

“No. No pointing of finger. Once we point our finger on someone, the Dragon Knights will take no time in seeing the innocence of that person. We cannot make that mistake.” Said the taller woman.

“What do you propose?” asked the shorter woman.

“An accident.” Said the taller woman.

Minho closed his eyes.

“We have to make it look like no one wanted to hurt her… but she just got hurt.” Said the taller woman.

Minho opened his eyes.

---------------------

But he can’t tell Joongki and Donghae about what he witnessed last night. Joongki seems to be convinced that Minho is keeping special feelings for the human girl. If Joongki learns of Minho’s own investigation regarding the arrow incident, Joongki will for sure conclude that his theory is true, that indeed Minho might be in love with the human girl. That is definitely not true. He is merely protecting a student’s life.

He will never love again.

He will never fall in love again.

“You seem to be in deep thought.” Said Donghae.

“Huh?” asked Minho.

“I was telling you how I am asked to go back to the Palace again. It seems my father’s health is not doing well again.” Said Donghae.

“Oh.”

“You weren’t listening.” Said Donghae.

Joongki sighed.

“What are you thinking Minho?” asked Joongki.

“Nothing really.” Minho looked out the window. “Donghae, your father is old but he is still strong. This illness will just be like his other illnesses in the past. It will pass by and things will be good again.”

Donghae nodded.

“You are right. But a son has to be by his father’s side in times like this.” Said Dongahe.

“That is a privilege.” Said Joongki. “Most of us do not have that privilege.”

Donghae nodded slowly.

“I know that too.” Said Donghae. “I need to let the Head know immediately of my absence.”

“I am sure you can’t go back to the Palace alone.” Said Joongki.

“We all know I can manage to go back by myself.” said Donghae.

“It was an order that you can never go out of Davidar alone.” Said Minho.

Donghae sighed.

“We must protect you.” said Minho.

“Davidar needs more protection than me. I am a Dragon Knight.” Said Donghae.

Both Joongki and Minho made no response.

Donghae’s shoulders dropped.

“I have to stay here.” said Minho.

Joongki’s eyes widened.

“You are not coming with me?” asked Donghae. “This is a first. You would often be my .”

Minho tried not to give off too much of his real reason. But then… what reason could he give?

“I am fine escorting Donghae but then I am just a bit surprised.” Said Joongki.

“There is nothing to be surprised about.  If the Palace calls for me I will immediately go.” Said Minho.

“It would be good for Minho to stay. As it is, he is carrying Professor Art’s classes in addition to his own. It would be less problem for the Head if Minho stays.” Said Donghae. “Besides, there is no eminent danger.”

“That is true.” said Joongki. “Then it is decided. I will you.”

Donghae nodded.

“Now if you’ll excuse me. I need to talk with the Head.”

Donghae left.

“I’ll stay silent for now.” Said Joongki. “But you know I am not convinced.”

“I do not know what you are talking about.” Said Minho.

Minho noticed Hani walking from the building going to the forest. At the entrance of the forest was a familiar student, Har. It seems Har is waiting for Hani.

“You are the Knight who always weigh which is more dangerous. Once you find out which is more dangerous, you stick with the more dangerous situation to protect the people… even Donghae and I, you always protects us from danger. That means you will stay in Davidar because you feel danger here.” Said Joongki.

Minho did not speak.

“I know what you are doing Minho.”

Minho still made no response.

“I… am troubled. If I am not around, I fear you may end up making a very huge mistake.” Said Joongki. “If you let your feelings get the better of you… if I am not around to stop you from making a fool of yourself… if I let you endanger your name and integrity here …”

“That is not going to happen.” Said Minho.

Joongki put his hand on Minho’s shoulder.

“You also said that when Liah came into your life. But we both know what happened.” Said Joongki.

“The mission we have here in Davidar that installed us here as Professors will always be first on my mind.” Said Minho.

Joongki sighed.

“Good.”

-------------------

Minho saw it when Har left his room a few nights after. He walked towards the forest. Minho followed him. The night is no hindrance. Minho likes the dark. He likes the shadows. He can move faster and stronger at night. This is his strength… the Dark…

Minho saw how Har struggled. It seems he was lost and could not find what he was looking for. He searched all night. At some point, Minho saw a smile formed on Har’s face. Before the morning came, Har seemed to have been satisfied.  

The next day, Minho saw Har going to the botanical garden. And then he saw him talking with Hara, without her Lotus circle, just her alone.

It was odd. Har is a Minoshaw. Hara is a Phalemon. They do not have any interaction. Even their interests are different.

“I am prepared.” Said Har.

“Make sure you do it flawlessly.” Said Hara.

“I will.” Said Har.

Minho narrowed his eyes. The puzzles are now falling into place.

-----------------

The day came when Minho knew in his gut that the danger is going to happen. He felt it when he saw a group of students gathering by the forest. Hani is the Professor of the group, Har is her student… and Sulli is part of the class.

Sulli’s face is unsuspecting. She has that same enthusiastic yet careful face. She is with Bomi. That is somehow comforting.

“Sir Minho.”

Minho turned to see another Professor behind him.

“Are you going to your class?” asked the Professor.

“Oh. Yes.”

He has a class and yet a nagging bitter feeling is loudly banging on his chest.

Minho walked on to his class. From that far distance, he could still hear the voices. And then that familiar voice, that very familiar woman’s voice spoke.

“We are here to learn herbs and poisons. You will not find the most useful herbs in the border of the forest. Most of the herbs and poisons you need to learn are deep in the forest. We are not going to waste time being afraid of penetrating the forest. Do you understand? Now then you will go in pairs.”

It was Hani. The same woman who wore the hood that night in the Botanical Garden.

“We should go together Sulli.” Said Bomi.

“No. It is very dangerous for two weak creatures to go together. You need to pair up with stronger creatures.”

Sulli will go with Har.

The trap was set. Minho gritted his teeth.

Minho went to his class. But his mind is elsewhere.

Minho’s students started practicing their swords. Minho tried to oversee his students while keeping his ears on the forest. Whatever happens, he has to make sure nothing happens to any student both inside his class and outside…

Sulli was his student… and she is still a student of Davidar. She is still under his protection.

“You are lifting your sword on the wrong angle, Kwanghee.” Said Minho. “Lifting it on a right angle will cost you a second delay compared to when you lift it on a quarter degree.”

Kwanghee nodded and adjusted his hold on the sword.

“Better.” Minho said.

A few moments later Minho realized it. He could not hear anything from Hani’s class in the forest anymore. They have gone too deep.

Minho clenched his hand.

He has to know what is happening. How will he do it? He cannot stop his class in the middle of it. It will cause suspicions. What must he to do?

Minho closed his eyes. He has to hear what is going on inside that forest.

And then Minho heard Hani’s voice with her students going out of the forest. But he could not hear Sulli’s voice.

Wait… Professor. I do not see Sulli yet.

She has Har with her so don’t worry. She’ll be out by nightfall.

But Professor…

The class is over. You can now all go back to your dorms. And I mean Now.

And then he heard it.

 It was a faint sound but he is sure of it.

Wolf.

There is a wolf lurking inside the forest. It’s maybe an ordinary wolf but it can also be a shapeshifter. A wolf is never a friendly guest. Why would a wolf be in a forest so near Davidar? This is too far from their designated territory.

Wolf.

That is not part of Har, Hara and Hani’s plan. Har never encountered a wolf that night when he was preparing for the trap set for Sulli.

“Stop!”  Minho said in a loud voice.

The entire class halted all their actions, all eyes went to Minho.

“I have to end our class now.” And then Minho left the room.

Minho jumped out of a window. He was running as fast as he could towards the forest. He did not look back at his class. He has no time to think of how the class will react to his rash action. And then Donghae and Joongki landed in front of him stopping him. Wind was whirling on the ground where the three of them stood.

“You are in a hurry, Minho.” Said Donghae. “Where are you going?”

“You…” Minho said, his voice restrained. “arrived early.”

“Yes.” Said Donghae, there was a concerned look in his eyes.

Joongki’s eyes also narrowed.

“What is happening Minho?” asked Joongki.

Minho closed his eyes. He still can’t hear Sulli. A squeeze in his chest is growing painfully deeper.

“Danger.” Said Minho.

Donghae’s eyes widened.

“Where?” asked Donghae.

“In the forest.” Said Minho.

“What happened?” asked Donghae

Minho can’t afford the time being wasted by talking when Sulli could be attacked any moment now. Har could or worse, the wolf could.

Joongki stood beside Minho.

“Who is in danger, Minho?” asked Joongki

Minho did not answer. But Joongki saw it. The way Minho’s chest is heaving, his anger is apparent from his face.

“Let me and Donghae handle it. You should stay away from this Minho.” Said Joongki. “Remember that getting involved in this will make matters worse.”

Minho opened his eyes and it was glowing blue. Joongki’s eyes widened. Donghae took two steps back.

“I am not your enemy Minho.” Said Joongki, his voice low to calm Minho down. “I am your Knight brother. And I am stopping you because I know you will regret what you are about to do.”

“Joongki…” Donghae said nervously. “I don’t think he is listening.”

Minho’s hands started to shake and smoke started to come out of it.

“No.” said Donghae. “Minho… you are in Davidar…you can not do this.”

When Minho took a step towards the forest, Joongki immediately ran towards Minho and grabbed his arm. But Minho pushed Joongki away sending him meters away.

“Minho. Calm down.” Said Donghae.

Donghae blocked Minho’s way.

“It is the human girl isn’t it? Joongki is right. It is not wise to personally get involved. Tell me what is happening. I will protect her.”

But even before Donghae could finish, Minho jumped over him and was gone.

“Damn!”

Donghae followed Minho. But Minho was going too fast.

-------------------

 Minho was jumping from tree to tree in the direction he remembered Har headed last night. That’s probably the place Sulli will be. And then Minho saw Har running towards the direction of the forest entrance. Minho landed in front of Har. Har fell on his back. Wind was swirling around them.

“What did you do to her?” asked Minho, his eyes glowing, his hands shaking in what seems to be restrained anger.

Har gulped. He stuttered as he spoke.

“S…Si…Sir… I don’t know wh…what you mean.” Answered Har nervously.

“Where is she? Where is the human girl?” asked Minho

“Sir…. Umm… I left her… there was a wolf and I was afraid… the wolf… it’s not an ordinary one. It’s a shifter… and it’s eyes is flaming red.” Said Har. “Wolves are creatures of the dark. I am not yet strong enough for him… so I ran. Sir… please help me. Get me out of this forest.”

Har stood up shakily.

“The wolf is running after me. It will kill me.” Said Har.

Minho grabbed Har by his neck, lifting him from the ground. Har struggled.

“You had the courage to put someone else to the danger of death, but you can not face the same danger yourself.  That is the most coward thing to do” said Minho, his voice is full of raw anger. “You are less than that Bull shifter most of your kind belittles. How dare you ask me to save you when you have just turned another creature to death?”

“Minho! Put him down.” Donghae appeared behind Minho. “He is a Davidar student.”

Minho did not respond. He tightened the hold on Har’s neck. The smoke on Minho’s hand started to come out again. Har is in pain, he could not breathe.

“If you don’t put him down, he may die. We are here to protect the life of the students. Let the board decide his punishment.” Said Donghae.

But still Minho did not drop Har as if not hearing a word Donghae said.

Donghae pulled out his sword.

“I do not want to do this, Minho.” Said Donghae.

And then they heard it, a wolf’s howl.

Minho threw Har several meters away. Donghae caught him.

Har is coughing and is struggling to breathe. His neck has red marks on it, the skin on it looked burnt.

“Minho…”

But when Donghae lifted his head, Minho was gone.

And then there is a dilemma.

Will he leave Har on his own here where he might possibly die? Or does he follow Minho and stop him from possibly creating the biggest scandal Davidar has ever heard? Or worse endanger the lives of everyone.

----------------

Minho followed the howl of the wolf. He traced it. He landed near a waterfalls.

As wind is swirling around him, he felt it. A presence behind him is getting nearer. And as it got to him, Minho grabbed it by the arm and threw it to the other direction.

The creature in human form slowly stood up from his fall. His eyes are red and he’s looking straight at Minho with a grin on his face.

“A Strong one.” Said the creature as he touched his injured arm.

“You… are not an opponent to underestimate.” Said the creature.

Minho’s eyes thinned.

Dark hair… Dark voice….

“You are a shifter. A wolf.” Said Minho. “What are you doing here in Davidar? Your kind has been ordered to stay in your area. You are not allowed to enter this territory. Are you rebelling against the order of the king?”

Minho’s voice is low and hoarse.

“Ah… your manner of speaking is most formal… you have knowledge on territories… A palace authority, you are for sure?” asked the wolf.

“There will be repercussions for this kind of breach of territory. This will not be taken lightly.” Said Minho, his hands clenched on his side.

The wolf laughed.

“I like this. I have never met a palace authority before. What are you? A guard? A Knight? Are you the Prince?” asked the wolf.

“I am going to be your end if you don’t tell me your purpose for being here.” Said Minho, Minho’s anger is now apparent.

“I am here for a hunt.” Said the wolf. “I got tired of our old forest. I wanted to explore. And when I got here, I saw a very delectable  meal.”

Meal…

The wolf grinned as his eyes went to the falls.

“I will risk my life for a meal. Why not? For a very tasty meal I will do everything.”

Minho’s brows closed in. He saw a rope from a tree going down the falls.

Sulli.

She’s there for sure.

And the wolf saw her.

He cannot waste any more time. The wolf placed a hunt on her.  If he doesn’t finish this, Sulli may indeed become his meal. Worse,  Sulli might already be dying down there.

Minho went on for an attack. He was so fast and swift that the wolf did not have time to avoid him. The wolf’s arms were twisted behind him as Minho pulled them back. The wolf’s arms flew in the air. And then Minho kicked the wolf up so high that when the wolf fell to the ground, he could not find the strength to stand.

And then Joongki landed a few feet from the wolf. Joongki’s arm is injured.

“What is he?” Said Joongki. “and why is such a creature here?”

“So many questions tonight.” Said the wolf, his voice strained. He is in so much pain to the point of dying. “So are you also a Knight? Or a prince?”

Joongki’s lips thinned.

“You are looking for more trouble with your tongue.” Said Joongki.

 “Take him.” Said Minho. 

Joongki hesitated. If he leaves Minho in his present state, what will happen? It has been a very long time since he had acting this way.

“He will not be able to move from where he is lying. I will help you look for the one you seek.” Said Joongki.

“Leave.” Said Minho. “If you keep that creature here, I am going to crush him to pieces.”

Joongki’s eyes widened.

“We have to put him in question. Wolves are not allowed to even get near Davidar.” Said Minho.

Even in his condition, Joongki saw that Minho still has his sound mind working. He still has a grip of who he is.

Joongki lifted the wolf from the ground.

“I will make sure he talks.” Said Joongki. “Be careful Minho… After this… I do not think things will the same as it used to be.”

And then Joongki was gone.

Minho immediately jumped down the falls. As he was going down, he saw that Sulli wasn’t at the end of the rope anymore. Surely, she had fallen to the water.

Minho’s squeezed and drummed all of the same time.

Is he too late? Did she die already?

No…

It can’t be….

She has to be alive.

Minho jumped under the water and searched for Sulli. He searched and searched until he saw it. In the dim night, his eyes allowed him to see her, her pale skin in the water… her eyes closed… She had fallen deep…she looked lifeless.

 But Minho will not allow it.

He grabbed hold of Sulli’s arm pulling her to him.

She has to be alive… She has to.

And then Sulli’s eyes started to open very slowly.

Alive.

She’s alive.

Relief washed over Minho. 

He wrapped his arms around her waist and pulled her with him to the surface.

When Sulli started coughing water out, Minho breathed deeply. She’s alive and it seems she’s going to be fine…

Minho’s chest started to calm down…

 “It seems you’ve coughed all the water out by now.”

Sulli did not answer. She remained lying on the ground, unmoving. The human girl is exhausted.

“This area of the forest is forbidden for students to enter. You should not have reached this far deep into the forest.” Said Minho.

Minho stared at Sulli’s unmoving form.

“I know you’re exhausted but I can’t let you rest for much longer. I have to take you back to Davidar.” Said Minho. “A healer has to see you to restore your strength.”

Sulli made no response.

Minho sat beside Sulli.

“Just a short moment then.” he said.

There was a long moment of silence before Sulli opened her eyes.

--------------------

The human girl lay on his arms snuggled close to his chest. She’s wet from her fall earlier and she seems to be cold.

Minho tightened his hold on her as he made his way out of the forest.

And then words came out of the human girl’s lips.

 “This… must be heaven… ”

And then a sigh.

Minho stopped. His chest started beating rather odd. Why does it feel like he is suddenly catching his breath? Minho stared at the human girl in his arms. Her serene face is illuminated by the moon in the dark night. But for him… he can see her face clearly… her face full of trust… the face who has surrendered her well-being, her life to the person who carries her in his arms…

Why does it make something inside him ache?

Minho reached Davidar and laid Sulli on the bed on the infirmary. He has to look for the healer. She has to be seen immediately and yet… there is something holding him back…why he does it seem like he doesn’t want to leave?

“It…. Hurts…”

The human girl’s face started to look in pain as she pulled her knees to her chest…

Minho reached out and touched the human girl’s arm pulling them away from her knees.

“What’s the matter?” asked Minho. “Where does it hurt?”

But the human girl just started crying.

“painful…”

Minho tried to ease Sulli into a straight lying position. And then slowly Sulli’s face started to become peaceful again.

What did she dream about? Why was she in pain? Did she suffer injuries from earlier that he did not notice?

Minho touched Sulli’s forehead which has perspired from her bad dream. And when he did… another sigh escaped Sulli’s lips.

And then he touched Sulli’s cheek, she has the smoothest and softest skin. It felt like soft cotton under the touch of his hard and rough hands.

And then Sulli turned her face to lean on Minho’s hand. Her lips touched his palm. Her breath hot.

Minho’s throat moved as he leaned closer. He leaned slowly… until his face almost touched Sulli’s.

“Why is it…” Minho whispered. “That you would trust me so? Don’t’ you know that I can easily hurt you? I can crush you with this hand.”

Sulli did not answer.

“I have done terrible things… and I will not stop doing terrible things…” said Minho. “That is why this… this should be nothing….”

And then Sulli eyes started opening…

Minho’s eyes widened.

She looked at him with gentle eyes.

“Your hand…” said Sulli. “Is so warm…”

Minho started pulling his hand away but Sulli held on to it.

“Don’t… leave…” said Sulli. “Stay… with me…”

And when Minho did not say anything, Sulli closed her eyes again and succumbed to sleep.

Minho closed his eyes tight.

What is the matter with him? Why does he feel his chest drumming and aching at the same time?

Minho opened his eyes and saw Sulli’s face.

Her face… if you look at it this close…

Is undoubtedly… beautiful…

Minho turned Sulli’s face to him.

“This… is no longer caused by a spell, isn’t it?” said Minho. “Then why do I feel this way?”

And then he did it.

He surrendered to that deep longing he’s been suppressing for a while now…

Minho let his lips touch Sulli’s. He felt her warm skin on his, the softness of her sweet lips…. He felt her nearness… he scent… and he wanted more….

And then the pulled away. He made a great distance between them.

He…

He just… broke his code of chivalry…

He just… stole a kiss from a maiden…

What is wrong with him?! He has never done this before… He has never been seduced by anyone… And he has learned to ignore his desires….

But why… why is does this human girl make him forget himself?

And then the door opened.

“I was right. You are here.” Said Joongki.

“I’d get the healer. Stay with her.” Said Minho.

Minho faced Joongki.

“I have done a mistake tonight. I acted without thinking.” Said Minho.

Joongki was about to speak but Minho stopped him.

“I know… you already warned me. I know I shouldn’t have directly involved myself. I have cause a compromising situation and I will take responsibility.” Said Minho.

Joongki sighed.

“I… need to disappear.” Said Minho.

Joongki’s eyes narrowed.

“It seems like… I have overestimated myself…” said Minho.

“You realized that you are indeed affected by her?” asked Joongki.

Minho looked back at Sulli’s sleeping form.

“In a life of a Knight… will there be a room for someone like her?” asked Minho.

There was a long moment of silence.

“You know the answer to that better than anyone, Minho.” said Joongki.

“Liah suffered a lot when we were together… I couldn’t take care of her. I vowed that I will never make the same mistake.” Said Minho. “This is the last time I will get myself involved with the human girl. I place her into your care from now on.”

And then Minho walked away.