Human Minoshaw

Rise of the Blood

 

**Hi Guys, This is it!

If you need more information to understand the story, please read the blog teasers. :)

 

Definition of Terms:

Minoshaws: First Year students

Phalemons: Second Year students

Blazires: Senior students

 

 

 

Chapter 1

 

Everything exceeded Sulli’s expectation. Everything.

She read the student manual about Davidar School of Skills and Intelligence. She read it cover to cover and did not miss a word. She read it three times just to make sure she remembers the important things.

And yet everything is understated in that student manual.

The Manual said you have to travel the Enux River in order to get to the Davidar. But nothing was said about how large of a river Enux is! It was huge! It felt like travelling a sea! It had to be travelled for the entire day. That is why they were asked to come to Davidar a day earlier than the opening of classes.

The shock did not stop there. Once they arrived at Davidar, Sulli’s eyes almost fell off her sockets while her jaw dropped to the ground.

Davidar… is a Huge and beautiful Palace!

Waterfalls are falling on the sides, a huge and magnificent bridge that connects one part of the palace to another… The palace is like a dream… It makes Sulli wonder how much more beautiful the King’s Palace is.

“Wow…” Sulli heard herself say for the gazillion times that day.

“Yeah, that’s not the last time you’d hear yourself say that.” Said one of the students. “You’re a Minoshaw, right?”

Minoshaw? Oh right. Minoshaw is what you call a first year student.

“Yes.” Said Sulli.

“Davidar is great. It’s beautiful. It’s one of the secret wonders of Zaruum. And the best part? Only Davidar students and Professors get to see this wonder.” Said the student.

“Only us?” asked Sulli.

“Yes.” Said the student. “There’s a spell to hide Davidar from the world. Only students who received the invitation letter would be able to see the school. The invitation letter is charmed.”

“Oh….wow…”

“I told you you’d say that again.” Said the student.

Sulli smiled.

“Wait until you get inside.”

--------------------

“Wow…”

The hallways of Davidar are large and the ceiling is so high. Everything looked magnificent and grandeur.

Does the King splurge the richness of the Kingdom inside this school?

“Everybody find your seats.” Shouted some professors.

Sulli took a seat somewhere. Her heart is pumping. Yes, she’s nervous. No she’s far from excited.

Although everything in Davidar made her in awe… it can never change the way she’s feeling about being in that place…

This is still not the place she wants to be right now. She wants simpler…

“Good Evening Students and Faculty of Davidar. I am pleased to see everyone. And I am excited to open the new year.” The head master looked like a very warm and motherly thirty year old woman.

“To the Phalemons…”

Phalemons? Oh right… the second years.

 “You are the ones left after your very difficult year end exam during your Minoshaw year. I am sure you miss your friends who had to leave us. But it is also a good opportunity to make new ones. Phalemon year is very challenging. It is the time to perfect your skills and knowledge. You need all the friends you can make.”

Year-end exams…  the Manual said it is extremely difficult. Half of the batch fails it. It is a requirement that a student passes the year end exam in order to go to the next level.

“My Dear Blazires.”

The third years, the seniors.

“After your review for a month, you would be going out to the world and use everything you’ve learned in Davidar. This is the year for you to start going on missions for the Kingdom. These are real missions with real danger and real importance. We have very high expectations of you. And we wish you a safe comeback by the end of the year.”

That doesn’t sound comforting. It sounds more of a warning.

 “And finally to my Dear Minoshaws who has stepped foot in Davidar for the first time today, It is my hope that this would be your home for the next three years.”

Home…

 “I heard she’s been Head of this school for five decades. And she’s been working as a high ranking Palace Official for decades before that.” Said one of the students who sat two seats from Sulli.

“Wow… It’s amazing how she can still look…. Younger than my Mother.” Said another.

“Right…She looks even younger than my Aunt.” Thought Sulli.

Aunt Rita…

Sulli closed her eyes and tried to imagine the house her Aunt owned in the middle of the forest. It was very secluded and a very peaceful place. It was comfortable and quiet…

It was home.

“Hey, what kind of creature are you?” asked the student sitting next to Sulli.

“You… must be a shifter.” Said someone else. “You look human but you’re not right?”

Sulli took a deep breath.

“You… are? You actually are human?” said the student as if astounded.

Sulli nodded.

“Wow..well…umm….ehem…good luck.” Said the student. “I heard Davidar is very strict and the training here is very intensive and rigorous. A mere human….well…”

Sulli bit her lip to stop herself from saying anything she would later regret. It was her Aunt’s words that ring in her ear.

Remember, do not retaliate. Bear it if you must. But do not show anger, do not show fear, do not show too much joy… keep what you feel to yourself. That is the only way you can protect yourself in Davidar. They will think you’re just a weak human. But you know better, Sulli. You’re an intelligent and brave girl. And you can only reach your potential if you learn from the best. Davidar has the best. So bear it… always stay calm… and just be a wall flower that is unnoticeable to everyone.

Sulli looked away as if she did not hear what the other student said.

There is a reason why her Aunt did everything she could to make sure Sulli could enter Davidar. There is a reason why Aunt Rita left her beloved forest only to accompany Sulli to the exams and even to the interviews. There is a reason why her Aunt who had never left the forest since the time Sulli was young, finally had the courage to do so …

So what is that reason? Why is it so important for Sulli to be in Davidar?

She had asked this question to her Aunt more than Sulli could count. But her Aunt only said that Sulli has to have the best education from the best institution so that Sulli can get a good position in Zaruum in the future.

But what does she need s good position for? When all she wants is to live her peaceful life in the middle of the forest, far from all these creatures…far from all the judgment… far from being seen as  weak.

It is my hope that this would be your home for the next three years

Three long years.

That’s how much Sulli has to bear.

“You’re also a Minoshaw aren’t you?” asked the girl who sprang up from nowhere, her blonde hair is flying to her face though it wasn’t windy inside.

Sulli nodded.

“I hope we can really stay here the entire three years.” Said the girl. “By the way, I’m Bomi. And you are?”

Can I… make friends there, Aunt?

Well… why not? Being a student is best experienced with friends around you.

“Sulli. I’m Sulli.”

“Hi…” said Bomi.

“Hi.” Said Sulli.

“I…ummm... heard you’re human.” Said Bomi.

Here comes another insult.

“If you don’t mind…can I stick with you?” said Bomi.

“Huh?”

Now that’s weird. Why would she want to stick with a human. Is this blonde girl also human?

Finally, Sulli found someone whom she can relate to…someone who could share her same feelings over a very discriminating Davidar population!

“Are you… human?” asked Sulli.

Bomi sighed.

“Well… if you mean am I a shifter? No. Am I a sorcerer? No.” Bomi looked around. “Am I like any of them?”

Bomi looked back at Sulli.

“No.” said Bomi. “So I guess that means I am human.”

Sulli braced herself. She found another human!

 “If you’re human, what are you doing in Davidar?” asked Sulli.

“I… am also asking the same question.” Said Bomi.

Sulli felt that tug in her chest.

This blonde girl… like her.

“I… don’t mind us sticking together for now.” Said Sulli.

“Huh? Really?” Bomi’s face lit up a hundred fold.

“Yeah.” Said Sulli.

“You are now going to be led to your rooms where you will learn your section for the start of class tomorrow.” Announced the Head.

“Our rooms! I’m excited. I wonder who my roommate would be.” Said Bomi.

Sulli read that room assignments are done in a manner that makes sure each student is comfortable. It means you are roomed together with your own kind.

This is her chance to finally see if there are other human Minoshaws!

------------------------

Sulli entered the room.

And her heart sank.

Her roommate is none other than…

Bomi.

This.

Is.

Sad.

It means only one thing…

In their batch… they’re the only two humans.

And humans here in Davidar are seen as the weakest and stupidest persons!

Sulli sighed.

“You don’t look happy to see me.” Said Bomi.

Sulli dragged herself to the bed.

“Don’t get me wrong. It’s not you who made me sigh like that.” Said Sulli. “Davidar… is not a place for humans. I heard a lot of stories of how hard and demanding the education here is. I just… am worried.”

“Yeah… I kinda know why. The people we sat next to earlier already said things that made me feel down.” Said Bomi. “But we must bear it.”

Bear it…

“It’s just three years Sulli. Three years will go by fast.” Said Bomi. “I hope.”

------------------

“Tsk… they really need to do this every year huh?” said Donghae, the Red Hair Dragon Knight referring to the young girls who were giggling in one corner of the stairs.

The Dragon Knight Professors of Davidar spend their leisure time on the top of the palace and most students know that.  The girls had been peaking on them trying to get a glimpse of them. And although  something blocks them from hearing what the Dragon Knights are talking about, they can’t help but be mesmerized.

“Dragon Knights are popular like Legends in books.” Said Joongki, the Purple Hair Dragon Knight. “That is why when Minoshaws enter Davidar, one of the first thing they do is to find us. They want to see if what they hear and read are true.”

“And they normally don’t get disappointed.” Said Donghae. “We’re just standing here doing nothing and they already looked happy. They’re easily pleased.”

“If they hear you say that, they’d think we’re arrogant. That’s far from the chivalry they read about us.” Said JoongKi.

“They’d think we’re arrogant but they’d still think we’re good looking.” Said Donghae. “Our dragon blood caused us to look this way. We can’t help but look attractive in their eyes.”

“That sounds ridiculous.” Said Minho looking out the window.

Donghae laughed.

“I was just kidding, Minho. You know I have high respect for our Dragon Blood.” Said Donghae. “But you  know there’s truth in what I said right? Have you ever seen someone with Dragon blood who does not possess a good physical appearance?”

Minho shook his head. Donghae always tries his humor on them even when he knows Minho and JoongKi has no ounce of humor in them.

Donghae looked down the stairs.

“Tsk tsk tsk…”

“Don’t wait for them to stop looking, Donghae.” Said Joong Ki. “They won’t stop.”

“Oh. You mean the girls who were peaking at us? Well… I am no longer bothered by them actually.” Said Donghae. “Something else caught my attention.”

Minho and JoongKi turned to see what Donghae saw that bothered him.

There were two girls standing outside the dinning hall. They seemed to be listening to the conversation inside the hall.

“Tsk tsk… That’s what I don’t like about humans.” Said Donghae. “They eavesdrop a lot.”

JoongKi folded his arms over his chest.

“That’s because they don’t have the same kind of hearing we do.” Said Joong Ki. “Because they hear very little, they have tendencies to eavesdrop.”

“Still, even if their hearing is weak, eavesdropping is prying on other’s business.” Said Donghae.

Minho saw the dark haired human girl. Her eyes have anger in them but she looked to be trying to contain it. She has her eyes closed, her fists are also closed on her side. Her fists are shaking, her knuckles getting place white. She bites her lip hard. The human girl is on the verge of exploding.

A blonde hair girl stood next to her looking worried.

“I’m sure something they heard made them upset.” Said JoongKi.

“Humans… it would be very hard for them… Aside from having lessons that demand too much from their very frail bodies, they would also need to bear the things they will hear other people say.” said Donghae.

“If she wants to survive Davidar, the humans have to bear worse every day. That is why humans try to stay away from this place.” Said Joongki.

“You make it sound like that human girl is going to fail before this Minoshaw year ends.” Said Donghae.

“There were only very few humans who made it to Phalemon year. And only four humans in history that made it to Blazire year.” Said Joong Ki. “What makes you think that girl is going to be different?”

“You’ve got a point.” Said Donghae. “But if they have strong will… then perhaps… maybe they could make it.”

“Enough of this.” Said Minho. “Our break is over.”

Donghae and JoongKi exchanged a glance.

“Let’s go to the Head’s office.” Said Minho. “She called us for an important matter.”

“Important matter?” asked Donghae. “Is it about who will lead each Blazire mission group? I already told the head that I need to stay in Davidar this year. Even if I want to, I can’t go out with the Blazires this  year.”

“The head is aware of that. So no. I don’t think it is about that matter.” Said JoongKi. “That matter had been settled.”

“Then what is it?” asked Donghae.

“She said she needs to talk about it with the three of us.” Said Minho.

“Only the three of us?” asked Donghae.

“Yes.” Said Minho. “Only the three of us.”

“Wow… The head really has a way of making me feel nervous.” Said Donghae.

Minho started walking down the stairs, Joong Ki and Donghae followed him. The girls all around the place went crazy and crowded around them as they walked.

“I thank the old queen sorcerer who made this spell.” Said Donghae.

“Huh?”

“The Spell that makes others deaf to what we talk about among ourselves.” Said Donghae. “And the spell that makes us block our ears from the noise of the world. Having very powerful senses like ours can be troublesome.”

That’s true. Even if they talk among themselves, people around them don’t hear it. Thus, the crazy girls around them don’t have a single idea what they’re actually talking about. The spell is very helpful.

Minho stopped walking as he reached a landing on the stairs. He turned his head to the right.

“What is it?” asked Donghae.

“Nothing.” And then Minho walked on.

Donghae and JoongKi followed him.

------------------------

Sulli and Bomi walked together to the Main Hall. As they reached it, they saw people crowding around.

“Today, we need to find our names on those boards. The boards will tell us which class we should go.” Said Bomi.

The boards looked like large marble walls. The name of each class is engraved. And then student’s names are written below using some charcoal like substance.

“Then let’s squeeze our way.” Said Sulli.

Sulli pulled Bomi with her as they tried to look for their names on each board. They did everything they could and looked at every board. But despite looking through everything, they both did not find their names.

“What’s the matter?” asked Bomi. “Why can’t we find our names?”

Sulli sighed. She has no answer to Bomi’s question.

“Oh… you two did not find your names?” asked a student.

“Yes.” Said Bomi.

“Are you two humans?” asked the student, he looked like a really big guy with tiny horns on his forehead. He must be a shifter or something.

“Ummm…yeah…” Bomi answered, her voice very soft.

“No wonder.” The student chuckled and others joined his laughter. And then he shrugged his shoulder.

“Looks like nobody want you in their class.” Said the student. And then they walked away.

“I… did not understand what he said.” Said Bomi.

Looks like nobody wants you in their class

What does he mean?

“Let’s follow them Bomi. I want to know what he meant.” Said Sulli.

Sulli walked on and Bomi hesitantly followed Sulli. They stopped by the Dinning hall entrance when they heard the student’s loud voice laughing.

“Did you see their confused faces? Hahaha! Those humans are so funny!”

Sulli felt a surge of anger rise in her chest.

“Sulli…” Bomi whispered. “Let’s just… go away.”

“No.” said Sulli. “I am pretty sure our registration in this School is valid Bomi. That is why I think that our names should have appeared on the boards earlier.”

“What do you…”

“I should have left some marks of their names on the board.” Said the student. “Just so that they would see that someone intentionally erased their names. So that they would see that someone actually don’t want them around their class.”

Sulli closed her fists. She closed her eyes in anger.

Bear it.

 “Nobody wants a human in their class. Absolutely nobody!” said another student. “A human is weak, who would want a weak creature in class? It will drag the class down.”

“That’s right!” agreed the other students. “If there are class activities, I’m sure the class would fail because of them.”

Sulli could feel her chest heaving. She wants to show herself in the room. She wants to say things like ‘Don’t belittle us humans! We too are good at something! We also have the right to be here. We passed the same exams you passed. You have no right to erase our names on the boards!’

Bear it.

Stay unnoticeable.

But she can’t. She can’t let her Aunt down on her first day of class.

“Let’s just… go to the Administrative office, Sulli… Let’s just ask them what our classes are.” Said Bomi.

Sulli tried to take deep breaths. Bomi did not want any trouble.

And then suddenly Sulli and Bomi heard noises of women laughing, giggling and screaming in excitement and glee.

Sulli’s attention went to the stairs. Her eyes slowly widened. Walking down the stairs are three of the most beautiful men she had ever seen in her life! They walk so manly and yet elegantly. They walk with authority. Each of them looked like they’re sparkling, shining! It’s like everything around her slowed down.

And it’s obvious the other girls felt the same thing.

Who… are they…

What are they?

“Dragon Knights.” Said Bomi.

“Dra…gon Knights?” asked Sulli.

“Yes. They are palace Knights who are members of the Dragon Knight Circle.” Said Bomi.

“They elite Circle of Knights who are the best of the best? The last line of defense of the Kingdom?” asked Sulli.

“Yes.” Said Bomi. “THAT Dragon Knight Circle.”

“But…if they’re dragon knights… what are they doing outside the palace? In Davidar!” asked Sulli.

“Professors.” Said Bomi. “They are Professors here. The three of them are called the Dragon Knights of Davidar. They teach here on a regular basis. But they go back to the Palace often since they have Knight duties.”

Wow… Elite Knights are teaching in Davidar?

Wow…

When will Davidar stop the surprises?

“Unfortunately… we can ever be taught by them.” Said Bomi.

“Why not?” asked Sulli.

“Sulli… Here in Davidar, as much as possible, they keep the humans in one class and they only give them the human professors as teachers. That is to make sure that the humans are not given too much of what our physical bodies can only bear.” Said Bomi.

What?

“I guess that’s also the reason why students don’t like us in their class. It reduces their chances of getting a good professor.” Said Bomi.

Sulli’s eyes narrowed.

Even the system of this school is discriminating!

No wonder everyone hates them!

Sulli turned to look at the stairs again, and then her breath was caught.

The Dragon Knights were just standing a few steps from her and Bomi. The Most handsome Blonde Knight turned to their direction.

Sulli forgot to think.

The Blonde Hair Dragon Knight’s eyes went to them. It was only for a moment. It was only for a heartbeat.

Sulli’s chest drummed hard. She felt like time stopped.

It was a very brief moment, but it was enough to make everything feel crazy.

Wow… if these men could do that to a girl in just a single look, it’s scary what else they could do when they start using their Knighthood.

“They make me feel ugly.” Said Bomi.

Sulli sighed. Dragon Knights are like… Wow… they’re handsome and confident and just…. Great!

But Davidar and the system is not.

“Let’s find our class, Bomi.” Said Sulli. “Even if we don’t know why we’re here, we can’t just give up  right? The only way we would find the answers to our question is if we stay here… and find it out for ourselves.”

---------------------

Minho, JoongKi and Donghae entered the Head’s office. It is a large room. It has a wide array of displays of different traditional and old things such as old statues, old incents even old crystals that still shines brightly!

The head is an avid collector of old things.

Minho stopped in front of a large table that is standing several steps higher.

“We’re here, Madam.” Said Minho.

Donghae and JoongKi both stood straight.

The head stood from her seat.

“I’m glad you had come immediately.” Said the Head.

“We understand it is of utmost urgency. That is why we went here on a haste.” Said Minho.

“Thank you.” said the Head. “The Dragon Knights of Davidar are certainly dependable.”

There was silence for a moment.

“I called you because of an unfortunate event that happened last year-end exam in one of our Blazire groups.” Said the Head.

“Is it the group that was led by the Professor Art?” asked Donghae

“Yes.” Said the Head. “I think you heard what happened. They had a mission to protect a rich man’s daughter in her trip going to her relatives. But they were attacked during the trip. The group had successfully protected the girl however….”

The Head sighed.

“We lost a student there. We lost a Bull shifter in that mission. And Professor Art… he lives but… He was deeply traumatized by the experience of losing a student. He felt he was responsible for them. He felt that he should’ve died instead.” Said the Head.

“That is understandable. The Professor Guide who accompanies the Blazire group in the mission has the responsibility to protect them also.” Said Minho.

“That is right. However, does that mean Professor Art is not in a capacity to teach this year?” asked JoongKi.

“That is correct. Professor Art’s leg had to be amputated. His right arm almost got cut off and is still healing. It will take months for it to be movable.”

Donghae had that ‘Yikes!’ look on his face.

“Also, with his current emotional state, he will not be able to teach this year.” Said the Head.

“He is the only human Professor we have left in Davidar, Isn’t it?” asked JoongKi.

“Yes. And we are still in the process of finding another human Professor to add in our faculty. However, the process of finding one is proving to be very difficult.” Said the Head.

Minho and JoongKi exchanged a look.

“What help do you need from us regarding this matter, Madam?” asked Minho.

The Head folded her arms over her chest.

“I need your help… to be Professor Art’s substitute while he’s away and while we couldn’t find a new human Professor yet.” said the Head.

Donghae’s eyes almost popped out. He looked at JoongKi with that ‘You got to be kidding me’ look.

“I can see your thoughts clearly on your face Donghae.” Said the Head.

Donghae cleared his throat.

The head smiled.

 “This year, we have two human Minoshaws.” Said JoongKi. “What will happen to them if a Dragon Knight handles the class they’re in? We know humans have very limited physical abilities.”

“They have limited physical abilities but they can have unlimited passion and will.” Said the Head. “Yes we need to be more sensitive of their physical limitation, but we can’t underestimate their ability to cope.”

There was silence for a while.

“I’m not trying to say No to you, Madam but…” Donghae sighed. “ Why us? Why Dragon Knights? Why not any of the shifter Professors? Or even the Sorcerer Professors?”

“The subjects that Professor Art left behind are similar to yours. He teaches Defensive Fighting. Minho teaches Weapons both defensive and offensive. Professor Art teaches Poisons in the wilderness. JoongKi teaches Wilderness Survival and you Donghae teaches Potions. The subject matters Professor Art handles are linked to your subject matter expertise.”

The Dragon Knights were silent.

“And also…” said the head. “You are Knights. You vow chivalry and the protection of the weak. You have sworn the protection of the Bloodline and the Kingdom they are ruling, all the creatures under them are included in that… even humans.”

Minho’s eyes narrowed.

Donghae’s hands clenched on his side.

JoongKi looked away.

“I know that you will be honorable.” Said the Head. “That is why I can’t entrust the humans to just anybody else but the three of you.”

Nobody talked for a while.

“I do not understand, Madam.” Said JoongKi. “What do you find so special about them that you are putting this much for them?”

“Everyone is special.” Said the Head. “But we all know it is most especially hard for a human to stay here. They are judged, avoided and sometimes even pushed to leave the school by other students and even some professors. Humans will definitely have a hard time in Davidar. And as Head of this school, I am trying to give them a chance. Because everyone deserves a chance to make it.”

Donghae’s hand loosened. JoongKi exchanged a look with Minho.

“Do you need the three of us to substitute for Professor Art? That would look fishy.” Said JoongKi. “Students normally don’t get to be taught by the three of us at the same year.”

Donghae nodded.

“No.” said the Head. “I only need one of you. One is enough. I will do something about his other classes.”

The three Dragon Knights were silent.

“If you need time to talk about who would it be then I’d give you time.” Said the Head.

“No need, Madam.” Said Minho. “There is no need to waste time on pointing fingers and discussing who will substitute for Professor Art.”

JoongKi and Donghae both exchanged confused looks.

“Professor Art is a friend.” Said Minho. “When the Palace calls for us, he was always willing to substitute for us until we return. It is now our chance to pay him back.”

The Head nodded.

“I will substitute for Professor Art, Madam.” Said Minho.

The Head’s eyes lit up.

Donghae looked relieved.

“Well done.” Said the Head. “Very well done, Minho. As expected from a Leader. You always prove to me why the King chose you to be the leader of the Dragon Knights of Davidar.”

JoongKi suppressed a smile.

The head went to Minho and held Minho’s hands in hers.

“Thank You, Minho.” Said the Head.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The Head