Acquaintance Ball

Rise of the Blood

 

 

Hi Guys, As I've said on twitter, I will upload a chapter soon after chapter 3. And here it is--Chapter 4! This next chapter is a very looooong chapter. It's almost double the size of a normal non-fantasy story I usually write. But I no longer cut it since I will be out of town for two weeks. That's also the reason why I was pushing myself to finish chapter 4 so that I can upload it before I leave. I hope you enjoy this chapter! :D

 

Chapter 4

 

 

Minho entered the dark corridors where sunlight does not come in. The darker it gets, the less people. He likes the darkness more than the light. He can relax in the dark. Whereas all eyes were always on him in the light. He likes it when he’s alone. Even his time with Donghae and Joongki cannot compare to his time alone. He likes the silence. When he hears nothing but his own breathing, when all noise of the world is shut, that’s where he feels the most comfort.

But before Minho could reach the darker areas, he heard something moving. It didn’t take him long to realize what it was, it was a sound of someone punching something rather soft. As he came closer he saw who and what it was.

It was the human girl Sulli. And she’s punching a sack of wheat. She punched the sack several times, she seems to be punching it as hard as she could. And then she fell on the floor. She looked dead tired, exhausted. Her face is all wet from sweat, even her clothes are wet. She’s catching her breath as her face tightened.

“The bones haven’t healed yet.” Said Minho.

Sulli’s eyes widened as she looked up and saw Minho.

Tsk. Minho regretted interfering. It was the human’s girl business, he should not get involved.

Sulli tried to stand up and took a long time to do so. Her legs are shaking, and her face told Minho she’s bearing much more pain. She must be feeling sore all over, she overexerted her body and did not do the proper way of practicing. And also…

“You are still healing from the injury.” Said Minho.

Sulli took a deep breath.

“I… just want to… I don’t want the others to…” Sulli couldn’t say a complete statement.

“You just want to be stronger. You don’t want others to think of you as weak.” Said Minho.

Sulli’s eyes narrowed.

“You’re wondering if I could read minds?” asked Minho.

Sulli’s eyes widened ten folds.

Minho smirked.

“Bull’s eye?” He said.

“Stop!” Sulli closed her eyes tight, her hands blocked her ears.  “Please stop listening to my thoughts! My thoughts are my own. Please don’t enter my mind….Sir.”

Minho’s lips arched into a smile.

“Dragons are gifted with different abilities, fortunately, I have no gift of mind reading.” Said Minho.

Sulli slowly lowered her hand, her eyes slowly opened.

“But how did you…”

“Because you’re easy to read just by looking at you.” said Minho.

Right.

So…

So he doesn’t read minds. That’s good.

Sulli made a sigh of relief.

“You’re thinking That’s good, he doesn’t read minds.”

“Sir please stop.” Said Sulli, she looked really bothered. “Do you really read minds or not?”

Minho bit his lip to suppress a chuckle. Minho just then realized he was smiling. He coughed as he made his face stern and serious.

“Shouldn’t you be in your room with the other girls preparing for tomorrow’s ball?” asked Minho.

Sulli had that ‘Huh?’ expression on her face.

“Oh….yeah… the ball. It’s already tomorrow.” Said Sulli. “I… almost forgot…I have no interest in going though.”

This time, it was Minho who had the ‘Huh’ expression on his face.

“I’d rather be here.” Said Sulli.

She’d rather be in a dark corridor practicing with a sack of wheat than go to a ball.

“A female student alone in a dark corridor here in Davidar is an odd sight.” Said Minho.

“I am only practicing, Sir. I see nothing odd in that.” said Sulli.

“It is improper for a female student to be alone in a dark corridor. You are subjecting yourself to danger.” Said Minho.

“This is Davidar, Sir. The best fighters are professors here. Davidar is one of the safest place in Zaruum.” Said Sulli.

“You’re trying to justify practicing here alone.” said Minho.

“Practicing is your homework Sir. You told us to practice.” Said Sulli.

Tsk. The girl is stubborn.

“I told you, right? Here in Davidar, there is no one who would protect you… except yourself. In whatever you do, you have to practice caution. You can’t be too complaisant.” Said Minho.

Sulli bit her lip.

“I just want to be stronger.” She said.

“You want others to respect your presence in Davidar.” Said Minho “That is why you want to be stronger.”

Sulli looked away, guiltily.

“You want them to respect humans.” Said Minho.

“It’s not respect and pride that I am after.” Said Sulli. “It’s acceptance.”

Sulli looked back at Minho, her eyes has that light of passion in them.

“I just want people here in Davidar to accept humans. We too… can be strong at something. We too... deserve a place here as part of the Kingdom of Zaruum.” Said Sulli.

Minho sighed. He had once heard similar words.

People in Zaruum think humans are nonessential beings. Zaruum can exist without humans, humans can do no help and are often helpless and weak. That is why I am here in this mission. To prove that humans can be good at something too, that we can be helpful at something too. That we too… deserve a place here in the Kingdom of Zaruum.

The words of that human decades ago… back when he was still a Knight Trainee… the memory of that mission still lingers in his mind like it was yesterday.

“And also…” said Sulli.

Minho’s thoughts went back to reality.

“I… don’t want to let my Aunt down.” Said Sulli. “She has done a lot of things for me. I… can’t let her down by being kicked out of Davidar.”

Minho looked at Sulli from head to toe. Her hair is out of order , some of them are sticking on her face. Others are flying around. She has new wounds and bruises around her hands, elbow and knees. She has dirt all over, it shows how many times she had fallen.

It also showed how many times she tried to stand up to try again…and again and again…

“You are not doing it right.” said Minho.

“What right?” asked Sulli “I mean what do you mean?”

“Practicing.” Said Minho. “You should not do it like throwing arrows all over the place without aiming at the target.”

“I don’t understand.” Said Sulli, her face looked confused.

“Punching a sack of wheat endlessly may make your punch stronger. But not using your head is not going to take you any farther .” said Minho. “The art of fighting and defensing yourself is not just a physical exercise, it’s mental. You need to fight smart.”

“How do you fight smart?” asked Sulli.

Minho took a deep breath as he took a step towards Sulli. Each step made Sulli’s heart beat fast. And when Minhow as just a foot from Sulli, Sulli took a step back. Minho took another step towards Sulli but Sulli took another step back.

“If I’m a wolf, you have already been devoured now.” Said Minho, his voice was a deep whisper, but Sulli could hear it.

“Huh?” asked Sulli nervously.

“Wolves like the chase. When they smell fear and they see it, they go for the bite.” Said Minho.

Sulli gulped, a bead of sweat flowed down her cheek.

“Now quit moving back.” Said Minho. “I’m not a wolf.”

Sulli nodded.

“Of course.” Said Sulli. “You’re a dragon.”

Minho smirked.

“That need not be said.” Said Minho.

Minho then grabbed Sulli’s wrist so sudden and with harshness that Sulli screamed a little.

Sulli pulled her wrist away but Minho’s hold on her wrist got tighter and tighter. It was already becoming painful.

“Please, let me go.” Sulli pulled and pulled and pulled but Minho’s strong grip made her effort useless.

“You’re hurting me, let me go, Sir.” said Sulli.

“If Har does this to you in my class and you beg him to let you go, I’d kick you out of my class right away.” Said Minho. “I’m teaching self-defense and offense. I do not teach cowardice and sympathy.”

Sulli’s wrist is small. Minho could feel the soft and thin skin. He could feel her pulse, her veins…

Sulli kept pulling herself, this time with all her might.

“You’d tear your arm in a minute.” said Minho.

Sulli sighed.

“Sir…” said Sulli. “I believe that you are a rational person. That is why I do believe that you are doing this for a purpose. Pray tell your purpose and then let go of me.”

“Ah… you are using your tongue to fight. I am in no way open to negotiation.” Said Minho.

Sulli’s eyes burned of anger.

“Use your mind.” Said Minho.

Sulli tugged and tugged but nothing happened. She twisted her wrist several times but Minho’s hold wouldn’t let go. And then she noticed something whenever she twists her arm. When her wrist bone reaches Minho’s thumb and middle finger, the gap between the two fingers becomes bigger by a little.

Sulli twisted her wrist again and then when Minho’s fingers parted a little as Sulli’s wrist bone hit them, Sulli pulled her wrist between the gap. Her wrist got free in a swift motion!

“I got free!” shouted Sulli. “I got free! My wrist slid out, I got free!”

Sulli was jumping with joy.

“Wow! How did that happen? What did I do again?” Sulli is ecstatic and full of energy suddenly.

Minho’s lips went slightly up.

“You used your mind.” Said Minho. “I told you right? The art of fighting is also mental. If you only use physical force, you’d only waste your strength.”

“Wow…” said Sulli. “You are right… of course you are right, Sir.”

Sulli sighed as exhaustion slowly came back to her.

The Blonde Knight is a good teacher. He knows how to get his teachings across. And he makes it clear for the student to understand. Wow…

“But if you’re faced with Har, you can’t think that slow.” Said Minho. “He’d rip your arm off before you realized what to do.”

Rip her arm off?!

“That is why I will not stop practicing.” Said Sulli. “I’ll keep making myself stronger.”

Minho’s eyes narrowed.

“No, please don’t think ‘She’s so stubborn’” Said Sulli

Minho’s eyes got narrower.

“Are you trying to read my mind?” asked Minho.

Sulli giggled.

The sound of Sulli’s laughter echoed the corridor. Women’s laughter normally sounded irritating. It’s too pitchy and makes Minho want to shut his senses. But the human girl’s laughter…It was a very light sound that… sounded different from the others.

“Of course not, Sir. I am only human. I don’t read minds.” Said Sulli. “But I can see it in your eyes.”

Minho clenched his hand on his side.

What’s the matter? Was he careless?

Minho has mastered the art of controlling his reactions. He has mastered acting like he doesn’t care about anything. Even and Donghae and JoongKi rarely sees him react on anything. This human girl was able to read his mind for a moment. He was careless indeed.

“I will keep on practicing…but I will try to think first and use my mind….just as you said.” Said Sulli, “Thank you, Sir.”

Minho looked away.

“Don’t misinterpret this again. Don’t assume I am on your side just because you learned something from me today.” Said Minho.

“No.” said Sulli, shaking her head. “I know you are no supporter of humans. I know that clearly now. But…”

Sulli took a deep breath.

“You also do not hate our kind. And for me….” Said Sulli. “That’s enough.”

---------------------

 Sulli reached her room. She sank on her bed feeling like every part of her body is spent. She closed her eyes ready to sleep.

And then Bomi sat next to  her.

“I know you said you don’t want to go to  the ball tomorrow Sulli but… I just want to take another chance.” Said Bomi.

“Hmm?”

“I really really really want to go!” said Bomi, closing her eyes shut, afraid of how Sulli would react.

Sulli opened her eyes.

“You do?” asked Sulli. “Why would you want to go there? People don’t like us around.”

“I know but… I’m so curious! I have never been to a ball! And all the Professors will be there! I have never seen all the Professors and I so want to see them all! Plus, it would be marvelous to see how grand it could be.” Said Bomi, almost begging Sulli. “Please Sulli… go with me. Let’s go to the ball.”

“I don’t like social gatherings. You know how lame I am when it comes to social etiquettes.” Said Sulli.

“But I… don’t have the courage to go there alone without you. Having another human by your side… it gives me comfort somehow.” Said Bomi.

Sulli sighed.

“We don’t have anything to wear.” Said Sulli. “give up the idea.”

“Actually…” Bomi smiled widely. “We have dresses to wear.”

“We? You and I?” asked Sulli.

“Both of us!” said Bomi.

“You brought two dresses with you? Wait, are you actually rich?” asked Sulli.

“No!” Bomi laughed. “Professor Alexa talked to me earlier.”

“The Professor after Sir Minho’s class?” asked Sulli.

“Yes. She said she has some dresses that she is not using. She said we can borrow them if we want.” Said Bomi.

“Huh? She talked to you about it?” asked Sulli.

“Yes.”

“That’s weird.” Said Sulli. “She actually talked to a human student? And it’s not about the lesson she’s teaching? It’s actually about ball dresses?”

Bomi nodded.

“She’s being charitable and I just can’t say no to her offer.” Said Bomi. “I really want to go to the ball Sulli!”

Sulli stared at Bomi’s excited face for a while.

“Fine.” Said Sulli. “Only if the dress fits.”

Bomi’s eyes lightened.

“You’re the best Sulli!”

-------------------

It still felt weird how professor Alexa was so supportive. There is no one in Davidar who accepts humans. But Professor Alexa proved Sulli wrong. She’s so supportive of them.

I like humans. You, for me, symbolizes good heart and fighting spirit!

She was really encouraging.

The dress Bomi and Sulli wore are a blue ball dresses. Bomi wore a light blue one while Sulli wore the royal blue one. The dresses are not overly decorated like the others. They are very simple, just right to fit what Sulli wants. Sulli doesn’t want people looking at them or taking notice of them. But she doesn’t want to be under-dress, else all attention will surely go to them.

Sulli normally wears her hair up on two tails, sometimes braided and sometimes not. For tonight, Sulli let her hair down, she let her hair fall on her shoulders. Her long dark hair reached down to her waist. Bomi did the opposite, she put her hair up tonight.

“Have you seen yourself in the mirror, Sulli?” asked Bomi.

“Huh?”

“You look beautiful. I’m sure men will take notice.” Said Bomi.

Sulli shook her head.

“No kidding Sulli. I am telling you. You should put your hair down more. And Professor Alexa’s beauty powders did wonders, you look glowing.” Said Bomi.

Sulli just smiled faintly.

“You aren’t convinced.” Said Bomi.

Sulli bit her lip.

“Wait until the men crowd around you.” said Bomi.

Sulli and Bomi entered the grand hall. And it was a magnificent view. Everything was so richly decorated. Everything looked vibrant with touch of gold. Everything looked bright! And the food buffet… it’s the largest ever!

“Wow…” said Bomi.

“Yeah… Wow…” said Sulli.

“Hi.”                                            

Sulli turned to her right and saw a man. Sulli’s eyes narrowed. Does she know this man? She can’t remember.

“I’m a Phalemon. My name is John. You look new to me.” said John.

“We’re Minoshaws.” Said Sulli.

“Oh, that explains it. Hi. Umm… if you don’t mind. Can I you tonight?” asked John.

Wow. That came so suddenly. Sulli was taken aback.

“Hi.” Another man greeted them.

“I was just sitting there but I couldn’t help but approach you.” said the man. The man took Sulli’s hand and it made Sulli’s eyes widen tenfolds.

“You shine like a diamond tonight. May I know your name, Jewel?” asked the man.

Bomi had that knowing smile. Sulli sighed. Fine. Bomi was right. Maybe the beauty powder did work. And maybe letting her hair down was really a good idea.

“I came here first. I asked her first.” Said John.

“Hey, it’s not a matter of who asked her first. If she likes me more, then she would choose me.” Said the other guy.

Or not.

“Stop that you two.” Said a voice of a man behind Sulli and Bomi. They both turned back to see Yonghwa.

Yes! A savior!

“These two ladies already have an .” Said Yonghwa. “And that is me.”

“That’s unfair.” Said John.

“Actually. He was the first one to ask us even before tonight.” Said Sulli.

Yonghwa nodded.

The two men made frustrated sighs. And then they left.

“You came at the right time.” Said Sulli. “Thank you.”

“Being beautiful has a price.” Said Yonghwa.

“Huh?”

Did Yonghwa just say she’s beautiful?

Bomi pouted.

“Is Sulli the only beautiful woman around?” asked Bomi.

Yonghwa smiled.

“You look stunning too, Bomi.” Said Yonghwa. “You two have to be careful. Men will surely pest you all night. Except if you already have a date. That could be me.”

Bomi laughed.

“Of course it’s you!” said Bomi.

Bomi seems to be always five times happier when Yonghwa is around.

Sulli can’t be a hindrance to Bomi’s happiness, right?

“I will just go to the wash room.” Said Sulli.

Sulli excused herself.

----------------------

Hara smiled as she saw the line-up of the Professors. As they one by one came for the ball, her excitement grew. She has great plans tonight. She has several activities and some of them are activities between Professors and students. There would be some groupings. And she made sure Minho and her are on the same group. She will eliminate all possible distractions. She made sure that clingy Professor Hani is on a very far away group. She will have the Blonde Knight Professor all for herself.

Hara giggled. She is a genius.

Hani sat just a table away from Hara. She saw that mischievous look in Hara’s eyes. That kid has something planned again. And just like her previous plans since her Minoshaw year, it would absolutely involve Minho.

Tsk! That kid has to be taught a lesson to not meddle with a man who is already part of someone else’ dream.

Hara stood up. Hani followed her eyes.

Minho.

Minho together with Donghae and JoongKi made a grand Knight entrance. Everyone stopped whatever they were doing to view their magnificence.

Hara made her move. She went to the stage. But before she could go to the podium to talk, Hani grabbed her arm.

“Nope, not tonight.” Said Hani. “You won’t have your solo time with him tonight.”

Hani pulled Hara out of the ballroom.

“Let me go!” hissed Hara. “The ball needs me!”

“We both know you have something in mind to have a moment with Minho. But that is not going to happen.” Said Hani. “Let the other Lotus Circle member handle the ball. We two are going to have a really good Professor-Student bonding.”

 ---------------

Truth is Sulli wants to give Bomi and Yonghwa time alone. She’s not really interested in going to the wash room.

And also… she wants to leave the ball as soon as she could.

Sulli walked around on her own when a woman blocked her way. The woman does not look pleased and folded her arms over her chest.

“Is there anything you need?” asked Sulli.

The woman does not even look familiar. Who is she?

“You think you look nice with a piece of dress?” asked the woman.

Huh?

What’s wrong with this woman?

“A useless human will always be a useless human.” Said the woman.

What?

Sulli felt her blood starting to boil.

“Who are you?” asked Sulli. “I have only seen you now. So why are you saying these things to me?”

“You think men notice you because you’re beautiful?” the woman scoffed. “How can a weakling like you think so arrogantly?”

Sulli clenched her hands on her side.

“I have never thought of myself as beautiful.” Said Sulli.

“Liar.” Said the woman. “You enjoy men’s attention.”

Huh? What’s wrong with this person?!

And then another woman came.

“Right, I saw her earlier talking to John, the man who got the 2nd highest ranking among the Phalemons. She looked so cold and arrogant while talking to him.” Said the other woman.

A third woman came.

“Yes. And she even had the guts to turn him down.” Said the third woman.

Wow… so these are John’s Lady admirers?

“I heard she fell on one attack in her self -defense class.” Said the second woman.

“She’s that weak but she still feels superior?” said the first woman.

Sulli wanted to ignore them but she couldn’t. Each word they uttered felt like daggers aimed at her.

And then the women started coming closer to her.

“Maybe if we dispensed of this dress, you’d come to your senses.” Said the woman.

They grabbed her and pulled her clothes. Sulli tried to not make any commotion, but her gown ripped.

Everyone’s attention went to Sulli.

Her shoulders and arms got expose… some part of her legs also got exposed. They had bruises and wounds all over. The women pushed her to the ground.

“Disgusting.” Said the first woman. “And you had the guts to think you are beautiful? How embarrassing.”

Sulli felt like all eyes are on her now. The ball was in complete silence, probably watching them. She felt like is tightening. She wants to cry in embarrassment. She wants to disappear.

Sulli closed her eyes, anger boiled inside her and is starting to erupt.

“Don’t be overcome by emotions.”

Sulli heard a familiar voice of a man.

Sulli looked up and saw the Blonde Knight beside her, the two other Knights behind him. Minho’s hand is in front of Sulli, as if asking Sulli to take it.

Sulli’s brows furrowed.

Minho nodded as if telling Sulli that she had read his mind right.

Sulli took Minho’s hand. Minho pulled Sulli up in an effortless motion. And then he pulled her behind him.

Weird  how that could change the way she feels so easily. From feeling bitterly angry to feeling… protected…secured…

“I do not see anything wrong with what I see.” Said Minho, turning to look at Sulli. He looked at her all over.

Sulli put her arms around herself at the scrutiny.

“She has wounds and bruises all over! She’s weak, Sir. Those marks prove how weak she is.” Said the other woman. “We don’t need her in Davidar.”

“You are not in the position to say who we need or not need in Davidar. The year-end exams determine that for all of us. Don’t speak about Davidar like that when you haven’t even passed a single year end exam yet, Minoshaw.” Said Minho.

The woman closed and looked so embarrassed.

“The wounds and bruises… they don’t look like weakness to me.” Said Minho. “They show hard work, determination and perseverance. The will to fight on and keep trying… That is what those marks look like to me.”

Sulli wet her lip as her eyes suddenly looked cloudy with tears.

No, she can’t cry. She has to control her emotions. She can’t be touched by his words.

But… what is she to do… when Sir Minho’s words have the power to make her feel weak inside her chest?

Sulli bit her lip hard.

“There is nothing to be ashamed of, when you’re trying your hardest to achieve something.” Said Minho. “There is pride in never giving up.”

Biting her lip was useless as tears flowed from Sulli’s eyes one after another. She quickly wiped them dry.

And then she turned around.

“I will become stronger. I will keep trying harder next time.” Said Sulli, and then she ran away from the ball.

She doesn’t know what people thinks about her anymore. And she doesn’t care. She’s almost half but it didn’t bother her anymore. Inside her chest is some peace… comfort… and joy…

She should be shamed and angry but all she could feel was… appreciation…

Sulli sighed.

Is she becoming too affected again? Sir Minho said he’s not a human supporter right? And he had proven that already. He must’ve done what he did earlier because he’s a Knight who protects the weak. But still… it changed something in Sulli that she cannot explain.

Sulli reached the dark corridors. She doesn’t like the dark, it frightens her. But she’d rather stay in the dark than be judged by the people of Davidar. That is why she practices in the dark… that is why she goes to the dark when she could not bear the pain.

-----------------

Bomi is biting her nails. Where is Sulli?

“This is all my fault. If I went with her in the washroom, this won’t happen.” Said Bomi.

Yonghwa is silent, but Bomi could see the anger in his eyes. The way he squeezed his fist tight showed he was affected by what they just saw. Sulli was kneeling on the floor, her dress was torn. They were on their way to help Sulli but they stopped their tracks when the Blonde Knight suddenly appeared beside Sulli, he was followed by the Red and the Purple hair Knights.

The next things that happened were confusing. The Dragon Knight seems to be protecting Sulli. But it was odd since the Knights do not normally bother themselves with these kinds of things, except when there is danger.

Yonghwa shook his head. He is leaving Davidar in a few days. Their first mission is already set. But he feels like he wants to stay for a bit more.

He wants to make sure Sulli is ok. He also doesn’t know where the protective instinct is coming from. But he feels like he can’t leave the human alone. Even when the Knights are showing some protection over her… Yonghwa still feels like Sulli would be in danger as long as she’s in Davidar.

Because Sulli is different.

The fire in her eyes shows whenever she talks. She has that passion that makes others attracted or burn at her words. She affects people.

And that means people will not just ignore her.

Tsk tsk.

And then Sulli ran away from the ball.

“Sulli… oh no… I am a useless friend.” said Bomi.

“Don’t blame yourself. But we need to find her.” said Yonghwa.

Bomi nodded.

Yonghwa and Bomi squeezed their way out of the ball, but when they got outside the hall, they could not find Sulli. They searched and searched, searched the bedroom, the classrooms… but they could not find Sulli.

“Where is she? Oh Sulli… where did you go?” Bomi’s voice is close to crying.

--------------------

JoongKi, Minho and Donghae stood at the Balcony. The three of them were silent for a while, until Donghae talked.

“I can’t remember when we last did that.” Said Donghae. “Standing between girls who are fighting.”

“We have never done that.” said JoongKi. “The thing earlier was the first. We had always ignored cat fights.”

Minho sighed.

Yes, he did it again. He regretted what he did. He didn’t want this thing to be blown out of proportions. But now… this will surely be the talk of Davidar for months.

“But there was injustice earlier. And it was only right that we made a move.” Said JoongKi.

“I will sort this out.” Said Minho.

And then Minho heard it.

“Where is she? Oh Sulli… where did you go? Yonghwa, we need to find her. I am worried. She’s angry for sure. She easily gets overcome by emotion. But she’s not in our room and she’s nowhere in the places we usually go to…”

 It was the voice of the blonde human girl.

What if she leaves Davidar alone tonight? That’s too dangerous!”

Minho clenched his hands on his side.

“After causing a scene, I have done my responsibility. I have already made my presence known in this ball. I think it would now be safe that I leave.” Said Minho.

“The head won’t be happy.” Said JoongKi.

“I left everyone something to talk about for the next months. I’m sure the head is far from happy.” Said Minho. “I’ll try to apologize about my behavior later.”

And then Minho vanished, he only left a swirling wind where he stood.

“That soft spot he has for humans… that’s going to be trouble.” Said Donghae. “It has already started becoming trouble.”

“I’m sure a lot of people won’t be pleased by what happened tonight. And I’m not just talking about the head.” Said JoongKi.

---------------------

Sulli punched the wheat sack hard. She noticed her punch getting stronger. But she’s also becoming easily tired.

“I still need to learn a lot.” Said Sulli. “I wonder what I’m doing wrong…”

Sulli sank on the floor.

“Can’t figure it out?”

Sulli was startled at the voice who just spoke.

Even in the dark, Sulli could figure out who he is.

Sir Minho.

“From the ball, you went straight back to your wheat sack, huh?”  said Minho.

Sulli did not answer. Everything that happened in the ball returned to Sulli’s mind. And all the feelings she had earlier also came back. Her chest is starting to beat fast…

Sulli bit her lip.

Minho looked at Sulli all over, his vision is perfect in the dark. Sulli’s face glowed in the night with her pale skin. She still wears the worn out dress. Her hair flowing down her shoulder down her waist. Most of her skin on her arm, shoulder and collarbone are exposed. A large part of her legs are also revealed. She has long and slender legs. She’s sweating all over from practicing. It made Sulli’s skin shine whenever the moonlight touches her skin. She indeed has a lot of wounds and bruises all over… but it’s far from appalling.  And then Sulli bit her lip… Her berry lips started to look plumper than it usually does.

She doesn’t look dreadful as the women earlier said.

 In truth… something about how Sulli looked right now made Minho feel heat crawling up his neck making his heart beat abnormally…

Minho clenched his hands to fists as the heat spread fast.

Lust?

Attraction?

Dragons Knights are known to be very hard to attract. They have very high standards of beauty. Even when being seduced by a woman, Dragon Knights can turn their backs without second thoughts.

And Minho had been seduced in countless occasions by countless women of varying age and stature. None of them had made him feel heat like this. No one has ever plucked his interest. Not even Hani.

Except for Liah.

But it’s different with Liah. Liah is beautiful. Very Beautiful. But she had never made Minho feel his body like this….

Like fire had just been lit up inside him…

But why is he becoming like a lewd man right now? Why is he becoming a lustful man just at the sight of the human girl looking so… so…  

“I already warned you not to practice on your own in the dark.” Said Minho. “I told you there’s danger.”

Sulli stood up. She’s barefoot. Sulli took some dirt off her dress and pulled her hair back.

That aggravated Minho’s problem. Sulli’s fully exposed shoulders glistened in the night. And now with her standing up, her dress went down a little. Minho could see the some part of Sulli’s chest… he could see…

Minho immediately turned his back, his breathing has now become labored.

Minho closed his eyes tight.

He has to control himself. He has to get rid of this feeling.

What’s the matter with him tonight?

Did he drink anything that made him like this? Was there anything in the ball that made him like this?

Was a spell put on him?

Or did he finally realize he could be attracted to a wounded and sweating female who has very pale skin and plump lips?

Minho shook his head.

He is a Dragon Knight. These things… should not bother him at all.

Minho pulled his coat off and threw it to Sulli. It fell on Sulli’s head covering her from head to her waist.

Sulli pulled the cloth off her head.

“Coat?” Whispered Sulli.

Why did Minho throw his coat on her?

“Cover yourself.” Said Minho.

Sulli then looked at herself and was horrified!

Sulli gasped, it made Minho smirk. Did the woman just realize the situation she was in?

Her dress is literally falling off her body! The dress was still hugging her body when she ran from the ball. It seems the dress’ tearing got worse when she practiced.

Sulli hugged the coat over her chest.

“Wear it.” Said Minho.

Sulli immediately put the coat on her and sighed when she finally closed all the buttons. The coat… reached her legs. The coat has a masculine smell on it. A faint smell of men’s perfume…  It must be the Blonde Knight’s scent…

It smelt… comforting…

Minho heard Sulli’s every movement. And when he was sure Sulli was clothed, he turned to Sulli.

“But then... how will I practice with this on?” said Sulli. “This will restrict my movements.”

“Your practice today has already ended.” Said Minho.

Minho’s voice had an edge to it like he’s angry. It made Sulli shut up.

Minho felt his chest returning to normal. The heat is slowly subsiding.

Sulli walked towards the stairs nearby. She went up a few steps and sat there. Truth is… she’s sore all over. She’s tired. And what happened in the ball still lingers in her mind. Sulli looked out the small window and saw the crescent moon.

“Have you… ever wished you were not born in the Dragon line?” asked Sulli. “Have you sometimes wondered what it could be like if you were not born the way you are?”

Minho walked towards the stairs. He stopped at the bottom step and leaned his back on the wall. He crossed his arms over his chest. And then he also saw the crescent moon from the window. It looked so calm as the stars shone around it.

“I wonder… if stronger beings ever experienced it…” said Sulli.

Sulli looked at Minho. Her eyes looked overly moist.

“Because I sometimes wish I wasn’t human.” Said Sulli. “But then… I could not imagine what I would be like if I weren’t.”

Minho felt a squeeze in his chest as he saw a tear trickle down Sulli’s face.

It felt odd and disturbing.

And then another tear fell… and another… and another…

Minho’s hand reached Sulli’s cheek. He let the back of his hand wipe the tears. And then Sulli’s wide eyes looked at Minho’s. Minho pulled his hand back as if he got burnt.

Tsk!

What did he do this time?

He touched the human’s face and wiped her tears.

He made an inappropriate gesture. He… shouldn’t have done that. But his hand moved without his thinking.

Minho did not move away from Sulli. He is just bent a foot from her.

Sulli forgot to breathe.

There was a long moment of silence as they stared at each other, Sulli’s eyes are confused.

When he could not bear it anymore, Minho sighed.

“Remember this.” He said. “Never let anyone make you doubt your identity. You are who you make yourself to be.”

Sulli gulped as she let Minho’s words enter her mind.

“Besides, Humans have strength. The strength of the will that is not clearly seen by the eye.” Said Minho. “But I have witnessed that.”

“Huh? The human’s strength? You witnessed it… You did? But how…” asked Sulli.

Minho nodded. He seemed to be fighting an inner battle as his eyes narrowed.

“A human died to save my life when no one else dared to.” Said Minho. “I owe my life to him. He’s the reason I still exist.”

Sulli’s mouth opened. But she could not say anything.

“That is the secret of my life. I have never told anyone about it.” Said Minho. “Make sure you keep my secret safe.”

Sulli closed and nodded slowly.

Minho smiled and touched Sulli’s head.

“You should go rest.”

And then Minho walked to leave.

“Sir.” Said Sulli.

Minho turned back.

Sulli smiled. Her smile reached her eyes. She looked overjoyed.

 Suddenly, Minho felt like time stopped. It was a weird moment where everything around him felt nothing... and he could only see the human woman's smile...

“Thank you.” said Sulli.

Minho felt a tug in his chest.

And then he nodded.

“Of course, I’m your professor.” Said Minho. “And you’re my student. Make sure you come to class tomorrow.”

And then Minho left Sulli.

Sulli sighed as she saw the image of Minho’s back vanishing.

It was a very unique moment in her life. Minho protected her in the ball and seemed to be trying to comfort her just now. He shared a secret to her. And the secret made her feel like there’s hope. A human can save others. Just as that human was able to save Minho.

But  then… Even at the last minute… Sir Minho made sure Sulli won’t misinterpret his actions.

 I’m your professor. And you’re my student.

Even at the last moment, he made sure Sulli won’t think that there is more to his gestures than what a Professor should do.

Sulli touched her chest as it tightened painfully.

Davidar is such a difficult place to be.

And yet there are moments like this that makes the stay somewhat… bearable…

 

 

 

 

 

 

Dark Davidar Corridor

 

Grand Ball