Arrows

Rise of the Blood

 

 

Chapter 6

 

Sulli felt a gush of wind blowing her hair as she closed her eyes waiting for the right time to release the arrow. She has for some time now been practicing her shooting skills. It has been a lesson under their weapons class. And although she has realized with astonishing surprise that she very much enjoyed the sport, she has not been able to hit the target in her months of practicing her bow and arrows.

“You are better than most of us in Bow and Arrows, Sulli. Don’t fret.” Said Bomi. “I can’t even hit near any target. You only miss the target by a hair strand.”

“This is the only weapon I am able to use Bomi. You saw how bad I was in sword fighting.” Said Sulli.

Bomi sighed.

“Well it is true that swords do not like you as much as the arrows do.” Said Bomi.

“And besides, Year-end exam is coming in less than two months.” Said Sulli. “I have no idea what will happen there. The only way to have a chance at passing is to come prepared.  And learning a weapon is one of the ways we can prepare.” Said Sulli.

“That is true.” Said Bomi. “Now that you’ve mentioned it, I will go ahead and practice my sword.”

Bomi took her sword and started slashing in the air.

“Would it be better to have a companion?” asked Sulli.

“huh?”

“To practice swords with?” asked Sulli.

“Oh…”

“It is a contact weapon. Unlike long range weapons where a companion isn’t necessary…” Said Sulli. “You need an opponent to learn swords.”

Bomi nodded.

“But then… who would want to practice with a human?” asked Sulli.

“You may get surprised Sulli. From the time you beat Har in Sir Minho’s class, there are more and more creatures talking with us. I even had the nicest conversations with some people in the library from time to time. Oh and even the Lotus circle has started to approach me and greet me sometime. They no longer say ‘this human girl’ but they talk to me as if I’m their equal.” Said Bomi.

What Bomi said is true. The past months, there had been a growing number of creatures who started to approach them and talk to them as if they are no longer the unwanted ‘humans’. The number has grown to a number where Sulli and Bomi no longer feel the usual cold and ostracizing atmosphere.

“It may perhaps be because we both passed the self-defense class.” Said Sulli. “Something they did not expect to happen.”

“True.” Said Bomi. “It feels so much better to be somehow accepted.”

“Hey there!” called out a man from behind them.

Sulli and Bomi turned to look at the man and saw someone with tiny horns on his head.

“Sheep shifter?” asked Bomi.

The man went beside them.

“Hi. I saw you two practicing and I wonder whether you need help. I mean… I wanted to practice sword fighting but I just can’t do it alone.” Said the man.

“Oh…well it so happened that I am in need of help myself.” Said Bomi.

“Really?” the man made a sigh of relief. “That’s good. We can practice together. I’m a Minoshaw. I am Kwanghee.”

“Oh Kwanghee. It seems like this is the first time I have seen you.” Said Bomi.

“Oh… I don’t normally interact with people. I stay in the shadows.” Said Kwanghee.

“Why will do that?” asked Sulli.

“Oh I get it. You’re the type who doesn’t like talking to people, aren’t you?” asked Bomi.

“I would have liked it very much if people talked to me… without ridiculing me.” Said Kwanghee.

“What do you mean?” asked Sulli. “You look like a shifter. Here in Davidar, is there anything worse than being human?”

“Well… not really worse but… you see I’m a bull shifter.” said Kwanghee.

Both Sulli and Bomi’s eyes widened. Kwanghee is a Bull shifter? But why are his horns so tiny? Compared to Har or the other bull shifters they have seen so far… Kwanghee’s horns look so small as if he’s a sheep shifter.

“That reaction is exactly the reason why I stay in the shadows.” Said Kwanghee.

Both Sulli and Bomi looked away.

“I… I apologize, Kwanghee. I have been looked at with insult the past year here in Davidar and so… I somehow understand how hard it is to be treated differently.” Said Sulli. “But I know that each person has a different case.”

“It’s all right.” Said Kwanghee. “I am used to it by now. And besides, I went to you today because I finally found courage to talk to someone.”

Bomi smiled.

“That is great. You see I need a sword fighting partner but I could not get courage to ask anyone.” Said Bomi.

Kwanghee smiled.

“If you’d have me..”

“Of course we will!” said Sulli. “Of course.”

Bomi nodded.

Kwanghee made a sigh of relief.

“Thank you.” said Kwanghee.

Sulli smiled.

“Now then, who is your weapons professor?” asked Kwanghee.

“It’s Professor Gidren. He’s an eagle shifter.” Said Bomi. “Who’s your professor?”

“We’re being taught by the Dragon Knight, Sir Minho.” Said Kwanghee.

Both Sulli and Bomi looked surprised.

Sulli felt her chest squeeze at the mention of Minho’s name.

“Wow…” said Bomi. “A Dragon Knight for weapons.”

“He also became your professor in defense right?” asked Kwanghee. “I heard about Sulli’s victory against Har. That was in Sir Minho’s class, isn’t it?”

“Yes.” Said Bomi. “He was outstanding. We learned a lot from his class. He is just full of wisdom in the art of defense and offense. That should not be a surprise since he’s a Knight. But still… he’s in a totally different level compared to the other professors.”

“His method of teaching is most odd but he gets his message across once you obey him. He seems to be very harsh. But it makes you retain the learning longer if not permanently ingrained in your mind.” Said Sulli.

Bomi nodded.

“Indeed Sir Minho is an incredible Professor. We have only met him a few times. But every time we meet him, he would always point out something in my sword handling. There is always something to learn from him. That is why I very much look forward to our lessons with him.” Said Kwanghee.

“Oh I know! Why don’t we share our learning from our Professors?” Said Bomi.

“I think that’s a good idea.” Said Kwanghee. “I would very much like to learn what Professor Gidren is teaching as well.”

“That’s a deal then.” said Bomi.

Sulli took her arrows and positioned herself to continue her practice.

“You are not practicing sword fighting?” asked Kwanghee.

Sulli shook her head.

“Sword and I are not the best of friends.” Said Sulli.

“She had fallen in love with her bow and arrows.” Said Bomi.

“I heard that.” Said Sulli.

“She would have married her bow if not for her promise to her Aunt that she’d finish her studies here in Davidar.” Said Bomi giggling.

Sulli rolled her eyes.

“I have no plan of getting married. Not with my Bow, not with my arrow, not with anyone.” Said Sulli.

Bomi laughed.

Kwanghee smiled.

“I’m glad I joined you.” said Kwanghee.

--------------------

Donghae smirked.

“That was a good shot.” Said Joongki. “Considering she’s just starting to learn.”

The Dragon Knights of Davidar are looking over the window in their usual place at the highest place of the school. They see almost everything that happens outside the school building. The field, the entrance to the forest… they have a good view of any danger that may lurk around.

Minho’s eyes saw it when the human girl let go of the string of her bow. He saw it when the arrow hit near the target.

“A few more practice and she’ll be suited for the annual weapons competition.” Said Donghae.

“ It’s too bad the competition this year already passed.” Said Joongki.

“ If she makes it to the Phalemon year then she can join the weapons competition.” Said Donghae.

“If she makes it to Phalemon” said Joongki.

Donghae turned his eyes on Minho. Minho looked unmoved by their conversation. He was just looking out the window. His sight seems to be focused on the forest entrance.

“Hey.” Donghae nudged Minho. “We were talking about your favorite student.”

“I have no favorite.”  Minho finally said.

Donghae chuckled.

“I am merely teasing you. It’s hard to get any reaction from you at all these days.” Said Donghae.

“The lessons for Minoshaw Defense has ended a month ago. I no longer teach any subject to any human student.” Said Minho.

“Right.” Said Joongki. “But you’re teaching that shifter they’re practicing with.”

Minho sighed.

“That doesn’t have anything to do with me. I will teach the way I usually do. “ said Minho.

“That human student is really nothing to you, huh?” asked Donghae.

“This question again.” Said Minho.

“Well if you really say there’s nothing going on between you and her then that’s good.” Said Donghae. “What good would it be to fall in love with a human? We’re Dragon Knights. We can only have union with strong creatures to keep the bloodline strong. We are even encouraged to only have union with a fellow Dragon. But women dragons have come extinct. ”

“We have around three women dragons in the palace.” Said Joongki.

“Right.” Said Donghae with frustration. “Only three to choose from.”

“Most especially to you Donghae. Because of who you are, you are obliged to only marry a Dragon. You have to accustom yourself to that idea. The Dragon Women are most beautiful in everyone’s eyes so you have everything to gain.” Said Joongki.

“Beauty?! Well yes they are most beautiful indeed but what of the heart?” asked Donghae. “They have the highest of pride and the strongest of mouth with their lack of submission. How can you be a husband to such willful creatures? I’d hate to have a wife like that.”

Minho smirked.

“Then make her submit to you. Whoever you choose among the three, gain her respect and make her submit to you. Make yourself so respectable in her sight that she would have no other option but to lower her pride and submit to you.” said Minho.

Joongki nodded.

“That will not be easy but… considering your situation… I guess Minho’s advice is very sound.” Said Joongki.

“Why are we speaking about me? We need to go back to our original conversation. It’s the human student.” Said Donghae. “Now that we’ve established that Minho does not feel a thing for her, we can relax.”

And then something caught Minho’s eye. An arrow is flying in the air. From the direction it’s heading, it’s going to hit Sulli.

Minho took a step towards the window but Joongki grabbed his arm to stop him.

And then Donghae leaped from the window going to the field. He grabbed the arrow in midair and stopped it from reaching the human girl even before she noticed the danger.

Donghae went back to Minho and Joongki.

“That was dangerous.” Said Donghae. “That might’ve cause serious injury or even a student’s life. I will investigate who is practicing irresponsibly.”

And then Donghae went away.

Joongki released Minho’s arm.

“Her life was at risk, a student’s life.” Said Minho.

“Yes. And that is why Donghae  went to stop it.” Said Joongki.

Minho clenched his hand.

“You know that it is not good for you to get personally involved.” Said Joongki. “Most especially with that particular student.”

“Protection of their life is our responsibility.” Said Minho

“Yes. And we will protect them with our lives. But with regard to that human girl, leave the responsibility to me and Donghae.” Said Joongki.

Minho closed his eyes and sighed.

“The rumors are still circulating regarding you and her. We cannot afford any more actions that can add to the injury. One more involvement with Sulli and people will conclude the inappropriate relationship between the two of you.” said Joongki. “As a Knight, you have to protect your reputation. In order for us to continue our mission here in Davidar, we have to remain Professors who are respected. We can not let emotions overcome us. You know that very well.”

Minho opened his eyes.

“There is no emotion involved. Only responsibility towards the protection of a student’s life.” Said Minho.

“I hope that is true.” Said Joongki.  “ What I saw in you… all the things you’ve done that was out of your character… I hope I’m only reading too much into it. If you say you do not have any feelings for the human girl then that’s good.  You have to make sure that remains true, Minho.”

Joongki tapped Minho’s shoulder.

“Besides… a girl’s heart is very fragile… it falls easily and breaks easily. Sometimes a broken heart is harder to fix than building a castle.” Said Joongki.

And then Joongki walked on.

Minho sighed.

Joongki is right. Nothing good will come out of getting personally involved with the human girl. He has to shut her off. Let Donghae and Joongki handle her if she ever gets herself into some mess. It should not bother him. Joongki and Donghae are capable. Besides what can happen to her?

But then…

That arrow. It seems suspicious. It doesn’t seem to be just a stray arrow. From the speed it was going, it seems the person who did it put enough force to make it hit the target. And if he is someone good with arrows, then he was aiming for his target. And that target is Sulli.

There can be a lot of rational reasons like what Donghae thinks. Maybe it is just someone who is carelessly practicing. But then the practice range is empty except for Sulli and her friends.

Minho felt something bitter at the pit of his stomach.

-------------------

Sulli was oblivious to the danger that almost killed her a few days ago. She did not even know how the Dragon Knights saved her life. She continued her days like how she usually does, only this time, Kwanghee would often join her and Bomi on their breaks.

Sulli and Bomi were laughing about Kwanghee’s story. It was about his first day holding a sword.

“It was so heavy that it fell from my hand. Not once… but three times!” said Kwanghee.

“It is indeed heavy.” laughed Bomi. “I was barely able to lift mine up when I first held it.”

Sulli laughed harder.

“And that…that is why the sword and I never became friends.” Said Sulli.

Bomi noticed some people heading their direction.

“Oh oh…trouble.” Said Bomi.

Hara led the Lotus circle going to their direction.

“Well what a pleasant surprise.” Said Hara. “A bull shifter is getting along pretty well with the humans. Oh wait… are you really a bull shifter? Why… Your horns look like that of some baby rams.”

People laughed at Kwanghee.

Bomi closed her eyes.

But Sulli kept her eyes on Hara.

“You look as beautiful as ever Miss Hara.” Said Sulli. “Your beauty exudes an aura of grace and elegance.”

Bomi’s eyes flew open. She turned to look at Sulli with confusion in her eyes.

Hara looked shocked.

“Well of course.” Said Hara.

“You are the epitome of an ideal woman. I’m sure you have so many suitors.” Said Sulli.

“Well… I can’t say they are few.” Said Hara. “Indeed there are… a number… of men who are very much interested to pursue a future with me.”

“And I’m sure whoever you choose will be very honored.” Said Sulli.

“Well he must! For me to choose him he must be special!” said hara. “However, I don’t care for just any man. I only want the best.”

“And by the best do you mean you want a man who is responsible, kind, powerful but with chivalry?” asked Sulli.

“Yes. Exactly!” said Hara.

“Like a Knight.” Said Sulli.

Hara nodded.

“Yes. A Knight.” She said.

“Then if you want that kind of man, he would also demand for his wife to be that kind of woman. Isn’t that only fair?” asked Sulli.

Hara did not answer.

“In that case, you ought to also be responsible and kind.” Sad Sulli. “Kindness is a virtue you must possess by heart.”

Everyone went silent.

“Not to mention chivalry. Standing up for the weak. Standing up for the oppressed.”  Said Sulli.

Hara’s eyes narrowed.

“For you to deserve that kind of man you have to be that kind of woman first.” Said Sulli. “Now then… Miss Hara you were saying something about Kwanghee’s horns? What were you saying again?”

Sulli gave Hara a wide smile.

Hara clenched her hands on the side as she spoke with suppressed anger.

“They’re… a bit small…for… an ordinary bull shifter.” Hara took a deep breath before she continued. “ But I’m sure it will grow in no time.”

And then Hara turned back and left with her group.

Kwanghee let out a deep breath.

“For one whole minute… I forgot I needed to breathe.” Said Kwanghee.

“Sulli.” Bomi hugged Sulli. “You don’t know how much I wanted to burn her when she said those things to Kwanghee. At first I thought you were going crazy when you praised her beauty. Which is true, she’s beautiful. But her heart is so dark and hard! And then you pushed her to the corner! I am so glad you spoke up!”

Bomi let Sulli go.

“I wanted to burn her too. But I know she’s stronger than us. We may end up getting burned instead of her.”

 Sulli then held Kwanghee’s arm.

“Are you all right?” asked Sulli.

“Yes. I am. I’m used to those kinds of words by now. I’ve heard those words since I was a boy. Hearing it from a new person is actually something I experienced a lot.” Said Kwanghee.

Sulli nodded.

“I’m glad you’re heart is strong.” Said Sulli.

--------------------

He didn’t want to hear it. He wanted to shut his ears but he couldn’t…

“You are smiling?” asked Donghae

“No… I was just…” Minho tried to find an excuse. “I thought I saw something moving in the forest but I guess it was just a bird.”

“Then if you want that kind of man, he would also demand for his wife to be that kind of woman also. Isn’t that only fair?

In that case, you ought to also be responsible and kind. Kindness is a virtue you must possess by heart.

 Not to mention chivalry. Standing up for the weak. Standing up for the oppressed.

For you to deserve that kind of man you have to be that kind of woman first. Now then… Miss Hara you were saying something about Kwanghee’s horns? What were you saying again?

 

 “They’re… a bit small…for… an ordinary bull shifter. But I’m sure it will grow in no time.”

Minho could not stop a grin to form on his lips. And that’s when Dognhae caught him.

That human girl is not going to back down to someone who is trying to insult someone she values. And it seems that the bull shifter has become someone that the human girl values, possibly a new friend. There is a mix of different feelings that assaulted Minho’s chest all at the same time. He felt proud somehow that the human girl did not let her emotions take over her but let her mind work first. She listened to him and obeyed. By that, she did not let her emotions take the better of her but was able to get her point across.

But at the same time…

He felt something strange. The way his heart started beating fast when she spoke about him. Yes indeed it was him. He is not oblivious to the fact that the Lotus Circle leader has been fascinated by him for quite some time now. But the way Sulli spoke of him… responsible…kind and chivalrous. He knows that those characters are that of any Knight. In fact, those characters are usually a requirement prior to Knighthood. But did she say that because she saw it in him? Or did she just say that to rub salt on Hara’s wound? To protect Kwanghee?

“You’re thinking very deeply over that thing you saw in the forest.” Said Joongki. “Do you think it’s worth looking?”

“I think it’s nothing. Nothing to dwell upon.” Said Minho.

“Regarding the arrow that was shot the other day. I saw the student who did it. He said he didn’t know the arrows are only allowed to be used in the practice field.” Said Donghae. “But what is strange is that that student is actually one of our best in bow and arrows. He was the champion in last year’s tournament. It is difficult to believe that he doesn’t know that simple rule.”

“That is indeed disturbing.” Said Joongki “Did you probe him more?”

“I did but I can only squeeze out that information from him.” Said Donghae. “I will keep my eyes on that one just to make sure there’s nothing else going on.”

Joongki nodded.

“How about you Minho. What do you say we do?” asked Joongki.

“Donghae is handling this matter with diligence. I do not think I need to get involved.” Said Minho. “Just as you said, it will only cause trouble if I do.”

Donghae and Joongki nodded.

--------------

Sulli and Bomi faced the entrance to the forest together with their class.

“This is a bit intimidating.” Said Bomi.

Bomi grew up in a small town away from the forest. On the contrary, Sulli felt at ease. She grew up in the forest with her Aunt. And although this forest is not the same as where she grew up, she still felt relaxed. Forests are like home to her.

“Don’t worry, I don’t think the Professor will allow us to go deep in the forest.” Said Sulli.

“I hope so.” Said Bomi.

“Listen up!” announced Professor Hani. “For those of you who think we are here for a tour, you are wrong. This is not some fascinating place to leisurely walk.”

Bomi gulped.

“We are here to learn herbs and poisons. You will not find the most useful herbs in the border of the forest. Most of the herbs and poisons you need to learn are deep in the forest. We are not going to waste time being afraid of penetrating the forest. Do you understand?” said Hani

Bomi held Sulli’s arm.

“Now then you will go in pairs.” Said Hani.

“We should go together Sulli.” Said Bomi.

“No.” said Hani. “It is very dangerous for two weak creatures to go together. You need to pair up with stronger creatures.”

Bomi gave Sulli a worried look.

Hani announced the pairings. Bomi ended up paired with a socerrer while Sulli was paired up with none other than…Har, the bull shifter.

Sulli felt nervous suddenly. The forest did not worry her, but being paired with Har did. Why Har of all people!

Sulli and Har walked through the forest in silence. They need to find the Mencox flower which helps to ease digestion problems. They were also to find the Dinahelon Mushroom which when boiled secretes a poison hat can cause…well… digestion problems. Their mission is to bring those two items back to Professor Hani in order to pass the exercise.

“I do not think you are weak.”

 It was Har who first spoke after a very long moment of silence while walking in the forest alone together.

“If you are weak, then that means I’m weaker. After all, you did defeat me in that exercise under Sir Minho’s class.” Said Har.

“I feel like I only got lucky back then. Truth is, I do not think I can ever re-do what I did back then. “ said Sulli. “I have wanted to become stronger but my body will never allow me to become stronger than creatures who were born strong. ”

Har just nodded.

“I apologize for those things I said in the beginning. I know we started in the wrong foot but…” said Har.

“I also said a few things I shouldn’t have.” Said Sulli.

Har shrugged his shoulder.

“I’m sure you wouldn’t have said those if we didn’t insult you.” said Har.

Sulli saw the field of Mencox flower.

“There! Har! Mencox flowers!” said Sulli.

“Wow… they’re very beautiful.”

Indeed the flowers are blooming in red and purple across the field.

“They’re sparkling!” said Sulli.

“Well then… let’s get some.” Har went to touch the one flower but Sulli stopped him.

“According to the book. We need to be careful not to touch it.” Said Sulli.

“How do we get some if we do not touch it?” asked Har. “Is it poisonous?”

“Actually it says on the book that although it is not going to make any damage on our body, the sap will be very hard to remove. It will make your hands hard to move for a few days.” Said Sulli.

“Really?” asked Har.

“It is true of many forest flowers.” Said Sulli. “We need to be careful. We have weapons class tomorrow.”

“Yes we cannot afford our hands to get injured.” Said Har. “You read a lot, do you?”

“Oh… well… I love reading but… more than just reading, herbs and poisons is very interesting. I grew up with my Aunt and I have been exposed to it since young. Learning it deeper through the books and classes makes me really excited to learn more.” Said Sulli.

“So how do we go about this?” asked Har.

Sulli took a knife from her pocket. She asked Har to put his handkerchief on the grass next to the flower. The flower fell to the cloth. They folded the cloth and carefully put it in the basket.

“Whew! We got it!” said Har.

“Yes indeed! Now we only have to find the Dinahelon Mushroom and we can go back.” Said Sulli.

“Yes.” Said Har.

Sulli saw a worried expression on Har’s face.

“Is there anything the matter? Did your hand get…”

“No I’m fine.” Said Har. “Let’s just…hurry and find the mushroom.”

----------------

Sulli knew that the book mentioned that the Dinahelon Mushrooms are usually found in creeks far from the water. However Har have been insisting that he knows what the Dinahelon Mushrooms are and is certain that they grow on creeks beside waterfalls. Sulli tried to argue but Har told her she must’ve read too many things and must’ve confused the Dinahelon Mushroom with other mushrooms.

They reached deep in the forest. Sulli felt cold sweat as they entered an eerie part of the forest.

“Isn’t this too deep into the forest?” asked Sulli.

“Professor Hani said there is no room for fear.” Said Har. “Are you afraid?”

“Not really. But this place… there’s something about this part of the forest that doesn’t feel right.” Said Sulli.

“I don’t feel such a thing.” Said Har.

Sulli heard gushing sound of strong water current. They’re approaching the falls. How did Har know where the falls is? They were not given instructions.

“You have been in this forest before?” asked Sulli.

“Huh?”

 “It seems like you know where the falls is.” Said Sulli.

 “Oh… instinct probably.” Said Har. “It is my first time. Same as you.”

Lie.

 Sulli knew it was a lie.

Har has found the falls without being lost even once. He seems to know where they were heading.

But why would Har lie about it?

And then Sulli saw it, the river and the falls. They’re directly over it.

“Wow… this falls is gigantic. If we try to get the mushrooms on the creek it will be very dangerous. The current is much too strong.” Said Sulli.

“We are going to make it, don’t worry.” Said Har.

Har tied a long rope to the tree and then he took the other end and gave it to Sulli.

“Huh? What do I need to do with this?” asked Sulli.

“Tie it to your waist. You will trek down the creek and get the mushroom.” Said Har.

“Me?”

Was Har not even listening? It’s too dangerous. The falls is gigantic, the water current  looks so strong.

“If I do it we are most likely to fail. I weigh trice as heavy as you.” said Har. “I found us the place. You just have to get the mushroom.”

In just a moment, the friendship Sulli thought was forming between her and Har was gone.

Was he offended by his defeat during Sir Minho’s class after all? Is this his revenge?

Sulli sighed. They have to finish the tasks. They have to pass the exercise.

Sulli gulped as she tied the rope to her waist. She hesitantly took a step on the rocky side of the creek. It was very steep. It’s almost as if Sulli was climbing down a rocky wall. It did not help that the water current was so strong. Sulli had to close her eyes because water is getting into her eyes. She’s wet all over and the water is pushing her away from the falls. The ground became slippery as she continued to go down. It was harder and harder to keep going. She could not even look around if there are any kind of mushroom!

“Ha…Ha…Har!” shouted Sulli, spitting water in between.  “I don’t…don’t  think I can…can continue.”

Sulli is getting exhausted. She could not breath well because of the water and she’s been trying to balance herself on a very slippery ground.

“Har…Har!”

But Hat did not answer.

Sulli tried to climb up when Har still did not answer after several more calls. But Sulli’s legs are shaking by now and she could not muster the strength to lift her leg anymore.

Sulli sighed.

Har abandoned her.

In the forest.

While on a creek beside a raging waterfalls.

After sometime, Sulli noticed the sky changing. And then she realized that night had fallen. How long has she been there, she could not think.

And then Sulli heard a howl. It was a very loud one.

Wolf?

Sulli bit her lip.

Why now? Why a wolf when she’s already in a desperate situation?

And then Sulli saw something on top of the cliff. It was a huge wolf with glaring red eyes looking down.

Sulli gulped.

It had seen her. What does she do now?

Sulli took a step down and realized to her horror that the rope which was tied to her waist is no longer secured. She tightened her hold on the rock but she knew it is only matter of time. If she lets go of her hold, the rope will not be able to save her. And even if it does, no one will pull her up. And if indeed someone did pull her up, she will face the wolf. There is absolutely no other end to this than doom.

Sulli closed her eyes.

Everything she worked hard for in Davidar will be nothing is she will die here. She will never see her Aunt again… she will never go back home to their small house in the forest…

She has to live…

But Sulli’s body can only hold on for a while.

Sulli felt her finger slipping and then her eyes widened as she felt herself falling.

No… No!!!

Sulli felt the impact when her body clashed with the water. She felt herself being pulled under. She tried to kick the water to stay afloat but the water current was so strong. She could not do anything. She struggled. She has to live. But the air in her lungs is gone.

Slowly, Sulli felt her legs going limb, her arms too. Is this it? Is this the end?

Sulli closed her eyes.

Davidar will learn of this somehow. They will learn of another student’s death, not in the year end exam and not in the Blazire missions, but in one forest exercise. How shameful to die in such a way!

Everybody will be elated that she would be gone. Finally the human is no longer going to cause trouble.

Bomi will cry. Kwanghee may get sad… Yonghwa may hear of her demise…But that’s about it.

Will…will anyone else even remember her after?

Sir Minho…

Will Sir Minho even remember that student he once saved in that ball? No it was even earlier than that… he saved her in that dark corridor when he tried to teach her to fight smart….yes… he saved her… when he did that… when he talked to her… when he caused her to believe in herself.

He said she should not be overcome by emotions. But this is her dying moment and she should be entitled to her raging emotions.

Farewell Davidar… Farewell Aunt…Farewell Bomi, Kwanghee and Yonghwa… And Farewell… to the man who could make her heart squeeze and drum at the same time…

And then Sulli felt something strong gripping her arm. She opened her eyes slowly, it was a very cloudy vision.  She saw blue light. But everything is blurred. And then as the vision became clearer she saw a figure of a person, his eyes glowing with blue in the darkness of the night. His face slowly became clearer. He is very familiar… his face is something she had seen before, she had wanted to see…. And then her heart started squeezing… and drumming…

Sir Minho.

Sir Minho is in front of her under the water. He is holding her arm as he held her close to him. He wrapped his arms around her waist and then he swam up taking her with him.

Sulli could not remember how Minho managed to pull them both out of the water. But as soon as they hit the surface, Sulli’s lungs burst. She coughed like there was no end.

Minho carried Sulli and laid her on dry ground. It took a while before Sulli calmed down. She felt exhausted. Every muscle in her body is aching.

“It seems you’ve coughed all the water out by now.”

Sulli did not answer. She remained lying on the ground, unmoving.

“This area of the forest is forbidden for students to enter. You should not have reached this far deep into the forest.” Said Minho.

Minho stared at Sulli’s unmoving form.

“I know you’re exhausted but I can’t let you rest for much longer. I have to take you back to Davidar.” Said Minho. “A healer has to see you to restore your strength.”

Sulli made no response.

Minho sat beside Sulli.

“Just a short moment then.” he said.

There was a long moment of silence before Sulli opened her eyes.

“How did you know?” Sulli’s voice sounded hoarse, it was so soft like a whisper. It was all her energy allowed her to.

But Minho heard her, like he usually does.

“Hani’s class all made it out except for you. Har said he saw a wolf lurking around the area where you and him went. So he immediately left that area. But then when he left, he completely forgotten you.” said Minho.

“How did you know?” Sulli repeated her question. It’s obvious that Minho’s answer did not satisfy her.

“Dragon Knights usually guard the forest entrance. I saw it when Hani’s group went it. I also saw it when her group went out.” Said Minho.

Sulli just then noticed that Minho’s eyes are not glowing anymore. Form the darkness of night, the moon was now the only source of light. And it’s not even enough for her to see Sir Minho’s face.

Sulli tried to sit up but she was so shaky that Minho had to hold her arm.

“Thank you… for saving me, Sir.” Said Sulli. “I thought that was the end of…”

Sulli felt her tears falling.

“Oh no…”

Sulli wiped her tears.

“It’s all right to cry.” Said Minho.

“You said emotions…”

“Yes control your emotions. But then no one else is here. And I have seen those tears before. Besides, it’s not every day that you almost died drowning” said Minho

Minho stood up and faced the other way.

Sulli lowered her head as she let herself cry. She sat there for a while.

“We need to go back.” Said Minho.

Sulli nodded.

She tried to stand but she fell and Minho caught her in his arms.

“You have lost strength. Stop moving.” Said Minho.

Minho carried Sulli in his arms. Sulli’s eyes widened

“Sir… no need.” Sulli coughed hysterically again.

“Stop protesting. You don’t have energy to even speak a whole sentence without coughing.” Said Minho.

Sulli sighed.

Minho started climbing the creek as if it was nothing at all, he just hopped from rock to rock while holding Sulli in his arms. The strong water current form the falls did not slow him down.

And then Sulli remembered.

“Wolf…”

Minho’s lips formed a smirk.

“Do you think a wolf would cause danger to you when you’re in arms of a Dragon?” asked Minho.

Sulli felt her cheeks started to burn… her chest felt melting… and she could not deny the warmth of Minho holding her close to him.

A Dragon…

Indeed…

“If he ever stands in our way. He’s the one in danger.” Said Minho. “Not that he will.”

Sulli smiled. Such confidence in his strength.

When Minho reached the top, the wolf was no longer there.

“I guess it smelt… danger when you… went to save me…” said Sulli, in a whisper that only Minho could hear.

Minho eyes roamed around.

“Yes… it seems.” Said Minho.

Sulli closed her eyes. Minho’s warmth enveloped her. She’s too weak to think and she just wants to rest…

Rest…

She’s just going to rest…

For a while…

Sulli leaned her head on Minho’s chest unconsciously.

“This… must be heaven… ”

And then a sigh escaped her lips.