Unfair Pairing

Rise of the Blood

 

 

 

 

Chapter 3

 

Sulli stood in the class knowing that everyone is against her and Bomi.

Everyone.

Even the Professor.

“This is the pairing for the first lesson. Until this lesson is done, you will have no other partner but the one I will assign you. So be sure to study that person well.” Said Minho.

Minho ran through the names as he announced the partners for their first lesson.

“Bomi and Elize.”

Elize?

Bomi will be against Elize.

Sulli looked around.

Who is Elize?

Oh… the merwoman, someone from a sea village. She’s the thinnest and the smallest in class.

The Knight said he won’t favor humans… but it seems he’s giving some consideration.

Sulli looked around and saw that the others were not pleased. They too think that Minho is giving a favor to Bomi. Sulli is relieved though. The Blonde Knight seems to be a charitable person.

Minho again went through the names. Most pairings look like they are physically matched.

“Sulli… and…”

Sulli looked around. It seems everyone was already been called. Is there still a partner for her?

 “and Har.”

Har?

Everyone’s eyes went to the tall and large man sitting behind looking out the window. He’s so muscular and big, he looked like… he might be the strongest in class.

“A….bear shifter?” whispered Bomi.

Sulli gulped as her heart started to beat really fast.

Bear… Shifter?!

Fear.

She felt so much fear that started to taste bitter, she wanted to throw up.

Wh… why?

Why the Bear shifter? Why him of all students in the class?

Everyone’s reaction were the same. Everyone was shocked, no one dared to speak.

A bear shifter against a human?

That’s like treating a human like an ant. She’ll be crushed!

Sulli looked at Minho with her confused eyes, but Minho’s eyes were on the list of students.

Does he… intend to kick her out?

Why doesn’t he seem to see the unfair pairing?

“Let’s start some practical exercises today.” Said Minho. “Everyone will try to attack the other. Any physical attack is acceptable. No spells and potions or poison of any sort. Just physical attack for now. What we want to do is see the weakness of the person being attacked. We want to see what level of self-defense you have. Not everyone is gifted with fighter instinct. In this exercise, we will find out who has fighter instinct and who doesn’t.”

Sulli clenched her hands on her side.

Minho is not seeing her predicament.

Everyone was faced with their opponent. And all of them were asked to attack the other all at the same time. It was chaotic inside the room. Minho just stood on the stage looking at everyone.

So this is what the big classroom is for.

“Well… attack me if you want.” Said Har. “I… hate attacking women… not my thing.”

This guy is trying to be a gentleman. That’s comforting.

“I said attack.” Said Minho. “If you can’t follow a simple instruction, be prepared to leave this class.”

Sulli’s eyes narrowed as she braced herself.

“Sorry Human girl but… I might need to attack you.” said Har.

His principle is easily crushed.

Sulli braced herself.

She has to…

Bear it

She has to survive this. If she wants to know why she’s in Davidar, she has to stay in Davidar.

Har ran towards Sulli. Sulli immediately put her arms in front of her to block the attack. But Har grabbed her arms and threw her in the air. Sulli flew towards the other side of the room. She fell on the floor face down.

Bomi wanted to run towards Sulli but Elize blocked her.

“I don’t think that’s a good idea.” Said Elize. “Staying where we are. That’s the better idea.”

Sulli felt the impact of her fall. She heard the sound as if it wasn’t her body falling on the floor. And then there was intense pain all over her body. She felt like she could not move a bone. She felt like her muscles suddenly became numb.

“What… is happening to me…” thought Sulli.

“You can’t move because of the psychological trauma of the fall.” Said Minho.

Everyone’s attention was focused on Sulli.

Sulli felt that bitter anger in her chest again. This Knight indeed has no sense of sympathy! He should be Pro weak. But he is nothing but a numb piece of handsome face!

Sulli tried her hardest, every little strength she had left to lift herself up. She was shaking and everyone saw that. She was shaking as she tried to stand on her feet. And then she took shaky steps towards Har. And when she was in front of Har, she tried to punch him. But she had no strength left, Har avoided her attack. Sulli fell on her knees.

This time, Minho smelt blood. The smell was so strong it felt like drug, it made Minho feel like his senses has awakened.

“I don’t think she can do this, Sir Minho.” Said Har. “She’s already injured.”

Minho sighed.

“She’s just a weak human.” Said Har.

The human is as weak as expected… her body is so fragile that a simple attack like that can break her.

But the next thing that happened made the people gasp.

 Sulli, with her trembling body stood up again. She’s weaker than before, she was trembling as if she’d fall with each second.  But she still managed to stand.

“I’m not…” Sulli hissed under her breath. “Not JUST … a weak human…”

Sulli’s knees are wounded. Some blood is flowing down.

“Sulli…” Bomi almost cried.

“I am NOT weak…” said Sulli.

And then Sulli fell on the floor unconscious.

“Sulli!” Bomi ran towards Sulli.

“Don’t lift her up.” Said Minho. “She broke several bones.”

“Huh? But you said…”

“The class is dismissed for now. Prepare yourself. This exercise will continue tomorrow.” Said Minho.

Minho went towards Sulli’s unconscious body and carefully picked her up his arms.

“She won’t make it to her next class.” Minho told Bomi. “Let the Professor know she was taken to the infirmary.”

Minho then left the room.

-------------------

Minho felt the weight of the human girl in his arms. She’s taller than most students, but she doesn’t weight as much as Minho assumed.

“Hmm…”

The human girl stirred in her sleep. And even in her sleep, she seems to be in pain. A tear fell from her eyes as she suffered.

Minho’s eyes narrowed. He felt something in his chest squeezed at the sight.

Pity.

It must be pity.

Even when he told himself he wouldn’t care about student’s personal affairs, he would still feel pity for any human who enters Davidar.

JoongKi once told him he has a soft spot for humans. But Minho never agreed with JoongKi. He doesn’t have a soft spot for humans….

A memory flashed on Minho’s mind. It’s a memory from decades ago, back when he was still training to be a Knight. A scene of a human man getting hit by a fireball while falling to the ground appeared, his lips had a smile. Minho shook his head. It made him tighten his hold on the human girl on his arms.

“Mmm..” The human moaned in pain.

Minho was brought back to reality.

That memory still haunts him until now. There is no way he would be able to erase that from his mind. It’s like a curse… it marked him…

Minho stared at the human girl. Her face slowly eased. In a few moments, her face looked relaxed…

She looked at peace.

She looked dependent…weak…like she needs to rely on someone…

And then the human girl snuggled close to Minho’s chest, turning her face sideways. She rubbed her head on Minho trying to get closer and closer. Her hand went up and touched him on that part where his beating heart lay. And then a moan escaped the human’s lips. This time, the moan was not due to pain…

This time…

It’s because of…

Trust.

-------------------

Minho lay Sulli on the bed in the infirmary. Donghae and JoongKi walked in just a few moments after.

“We thought injury will surely happen in that class.” Said Donghae. “Given that you are known to not hold back on your very ruthless style in teaching self-defense.”

Minho did not answer.

“The human girl.” Said JoongKi.

Minho nodded.

“Tsk tsk… looks bad.” Said Donghae. “A broken rib, dislocated bone here and there… and several bruises and wound… some bad wounds on her knee. Blood. Seems like she lost some. “

Donghae closed his eyes smelling the surrounding.

“Her blood…” said Donghae.

“The smell of her blood is overpowering.” Said Joongki.

Minho knew it, the others would feel the same.

“The healer will be here shortly.” Said Minho.

“I’m sure the healer can do wonders.” Said JoongKi. “Humans have very slow healing capacity. But we have the best healers here in Davidar.”

There was a moment of silence as the three Knights stared at the human.

“Looks like she fell from somewhere.” Said Donghae.

“A Bear shifter threw her.” Said Minho.

JoongKi and Donghae both reacted with shock.

“You paired her with a bear shifter?” said Donghae. “A human and a bear shifter? Are you trying to make her quit?”

Minho was silent as he watched the human breathing deeply in her sleep.

“Don’t say those kinds of absurd things, Donghae.” Said JoongKi. “Why would Minho bother himself with that? It’s a student’s personal decision whether to quit or stay. We, Professors, do not have anything to do with it. Right, Minho?”

There was a long moment of silence.

“Aren’t you two supposed to be in your classes?” asked Minho.

“Is it time already?” asked Donghae. “Well then, we better get going.”

Minho nodded.

JoongKi and Donghae left the room quietly.

“S…Sir…”

Minho heard a faint voice of a girl. Minho turned and saw the human girl, her eyes partially opened.

“I… need to attend my class.” Said the human girl. “But I… can’t move.”

Minho saw Sulli’s clenched hands on her side. Her intense face told him she is suffering in pain, trying to get up…

“I… couldn’t lift myself up.” Whispered Sulli.

“The healer will be here shortly.” Said Minho.

Sulli closed her eyes for a second.

“We have… some activity in the next class. I can’t… miss that.” Said Sulli.

“You got injured during my class. I will take responsibility in explaining the situation with your Professor.” Sad Minho.

Sulli lay still for a few moments, closing her eyes.

“Can I…” Sulli looked to be trying to take deep breaths. “Ask you something, Sir?”

Sulli opened her eyes.

“What is it?” asked Minho.

It took Sulli a long time to speak again.

“Do you… hate humans so much?” asked Sulli.

It took Minho a moment to answer.

“I have no reason to hate humans.” Said Minho.

“If that’s true… If you don’t hate humans…” Sulli’s hand slowly relaxed. “Then that means you did not intentionally pair me with a bear shifter… You were not trying to make me quit Davidar.”

The human surely did not hear his conversation with JoongKi and Donghae because of the spell that blocks other people from hearing them talk. She’s asking this question, because that’s how she felt.

“You’re overly thinking.” Said Minho.

Sulli laughed a little, but she stopped immediately when she realized her whole body screamed in pain.

“I apologize for letting my mind run into conclusions.” said Sulli. “You were very clear that you are no human supporter. That is why I thought you might hate humans…”

Sulli took a deep breath.

“But you don’t hate humans.” Said Sulli. “So that’s…enough. As long as I know my professor does not hate humans… I can trust you.”

Trust.

I can trust you

 “You.” said Minho. “Should not trust people so fast.”

Minho stood up.

The door opened.

“I apologize for just coming now. I attended to an injured Phalemon.” Said a stout looking woman, all  her hair is white.

“It’s fine, Mrs. Solomon.” Said Minho. “I have done quick remedies on her wounds and broken bones.”

“Oh right. I almost forgot you are a Palace Knight. Palace Knights are very capable people. I forgot you had to study healing deeply for your missions.” Said the Healer.

“But Knights are not gifted healers.” Said Minho. “That is why I still called for you. To make sure that everything will be treated well.”

“Yes, of course.” Said the Healer. “Let me see her.”

The healer sat on Sulli’s bed, the bed shook with the Healers weight.

Sulli felt nauseous.

“You’ve done a great job with your quick remedies. But you’re right. I still have work to do.” Said the Healer.

“I will entrust her to you then.” Minho head towards the door.

“Sir…”

Minho heard the human girl speak.

“Thank you.”

Minho went out of the room and closed the door behind him.

---------------------

Donghae and JoongKi walked together heading for their class. But Donghae stopped and JoongKi noticed it.

“What?” asked JoongKi.

“I… am bothered by what just happened.” Said Donghae.

JoongKi smirked.

“Which part bothered you?”

“I am not sure.” Said Donghae. “First, I did not expect Minho to pair the human with a bear shifter. He knows what will happen. I think that Minho is trying to make the human quit Davidar.”

“I told you…”

“Yeah I know. You said Minho will not get involved. But still…” Donghae sighed.

“If he indeed is making a way for the human to quit Davidar, what is his reason?” asked JoongKi

“I don’t know… we both know Minho has this soft spot for humans.” Said Donghae. “I guess he is trying to protect her somehow. Davidar is not a place for humans. They can live a better life outside Davidar.”

Joongki nodded.

“I still blame that Gufil Mission.” Said Donghae. “I know I should be thankful for that mission. If Minho’s group did not find the Gufil flower, the King might’ve died back then. But… ever since that mission, I feel like something inside Minho has changed.”

“The Gufil mission was a long way back, Donghae. We were just Knight trainees then.” Said JoongKi. “I’m sure whatever impact it had with Minho has now subsided. Besides, Minho never ever talked about what really happened in that mission.”

“In that mission, their human guide died. A Knight died. And Minho’s mentor almost lost his life.” Said Donghae. “I have a theory. I think that the human guide’s death has something to do with Minho’s soft spot for humans.”

“You’re overthinking, Donghae.” Said JoongKi.

“Yeah… perhaps.” Said Donghae. “I’m just…bothered. Minho has this side of him that shuts everyone out. There’s this certain wall around him that he doesn’t want people to enter. We two are his closest friends and yet… there are a lot of things he doesn’t want to talk about. Even Liah’s death is something he never opened even once.”

“Well I guess it’s because everyone has that secret space we want to keep for ourselves.” Said JoongKi. “Stop overthinking, Donghae. We’ll be late for our class.”

--------------------

Minho entered a small classroom. At the corner of the room was a woman. Her curly hair reaches her waist. She has dark ebony hair. She’s a simple beauty, nothing like Hara or Hani’s beauty.

“Professor Alexa.” Said Minho.

Alexa stood at the mention of her name. Her eyes grew wide when she realized who just called her.

“Professor… Minho.” Said Alexa.

“I came here because of a student named Sulli.” Said Minho.

“Sulli…hmm… oh right, the human student.” Said Alexa.

“Yes.” said Minho. “She didn’t make it to your class earlier because of an injury that happened in my class. It is my carelessness as their Professor that led to that kind of situation. That is why I came here to apologize.”

“On her behalf?” asked Alexa.

“As I said, she got injured in my class. That class is my responsibility. That is why, I am apologizing to you.” said Minho. “The healer is attending to her now. She’ll be fine soon.”

“Oh…right. Of course. Davidar’s healers are the best.” Said Alexa. “I am glad you came here to let me know. Your apology is of course unnecessary. Accidents happen, and when it does, no one is to blame.”

“I’m glad you have an open mind, Professor Alexa. I will go to my next class then.” Said Minho.

Minho head towards the door.

“Professor Minho…” said Alexa.

“Yes?”

“This is the first time you talked to me.” Said Alexa.

“Huh?”

“I mean, we’ve been Professors in Davidar for two decades…. But this is the first time you talked to me.” Said Alexa.

“Oh…”

“I’m glad.” said Alexa. “I will give the human girl extra lessons if she needs it so that she can catch up…, I mean since she was not in class today.”

“It’s up to you if you’re willing to do that.” Said Minho. “I only came here to apologize for her absence earlier.”

“Right… sure. All right.” Alexa laughed awkwardly.

Minho nodded and then he left the room.

--------------------------

Everyone gathered in the main hall. There is an announcement that the Student body is going to make.

“I wonder what it’s going to be about.” Said Bomi.

Sulli sighed. Three days after Har attacked her, she’s now able to walk like nothing happened. Davidar’s healers are the best. Except that… the pain all over her body still remains. She still feel the pain with her every move. But she’s back in her classes. She doesn’t want anyone saying that she’s weak or that she’s using her injury to escape her classes.

“Are you ok, Sulli? Are you sure you’ll be fine walking around already?” asked Bomi.

“Yes.” Said Sulli. “Don’t worry. The healer was really good.”

“That’s a relief. I was so worried the past days.” Said Bomi.

Everyone went silent when the Lotus Circle walked up the stage. Hara went to the center.

“Fellow students. It is with great joy that I announce our annual Professor-Student Acquaintance Night.” Said Hara.

Acquaintance Night?

“It is a Night where we can all enjoy our time with fellow students and get to know more about our Professors.” Sid Hara. “This year, it is going to be a grand ball.”

Everyone was cheerful.

“In a few Nights, we will celebrate this new school year and we will have a great time. Ladies, prepare your best dress. And Gentlemen, make sure you look crisp.” Said Hara. “The Lotus Circle will make sure everything is beautiful and enjoyable.”

“Tsk tsk tsk… I have a feeling this is no ordinary ball.”

Sulli was stunned to see Yonghwa sitting beside her.

“When did you sit there?” asked Sulli.

“Just now.” Said Yonghwa, smiling foolishly.

“I heard you were injured, how are you feeling now?” asked Yonghwa

Even a Blazire learned about it.

“I’m fine now.” Said Sulli.

“Good.” Said Yonghwa.

“What do you mean it won’t be an ordinary ball?” asked Sulli.

Yonghwa smirked. And then Sulli saw that coldness in Yonghwa’s eyes again as he looked at Hara.

“Hara is known to be close with a lot of Professors. But the one Professor she really wants to be close with is so cold that she couldn’t get close to him.” Said Yonghwa. “Everyone in Davidar knows that. She’s wasting her attention on someone who will not see her.”

“And you think she’s going to use this ball to attract his attention?” asked Sulli.

“Possibly. I can only guess.” said Yonghwa.

“Who is the Professor she’s fascinated with?” asked Bomi. “I can’t believe any man will ignore Hara. She’s like a Goddess of Beauty. How can anyone ignore her?”

“When you’re the most popular Dragon Knight of Davidar…When you are actually one of the most popular Dragon Knight of Zaruum, do you think he’ll take notice of just a beautiful student?” asked Yonghwa.

Sulli felt her chest tighten.

“The most popular Dragon Knight?” asked Sulli. “Is that…”

“Dragon Knight Minho.” Said Yonghwa. “The Blonde Knight of Davidar.”

“Oh…” Bomi looked at Sulli with a concerned eye. Sulli ignored it. Why is Bomi looking at her like… like Bomi was actually worried about what Sulli might feel with the new information!

What is Bomi expecting?

Sulli smiled.

“Well, whatever Hara’s plan is… it will not matter. I am not going to any ball.” Said Sulli.

“Why not?” asked Yonghwa. “I was looking forward to seeing you in a dress.”

Sulli’s eyes narrowed.

“I… was gone from classes for three days. I have a lot of catching up to do.” Said Sulli.

Bomi sighed.

“I’m not going if you’re not going.” Said Bomi. “I don’t think I can have a good time there without you, Sulli.”

“That’s sad.” Said Yonghwa. “Acquaintance Parties here in Davidar are the grandest. Food is the best. So let me know if you ever change your minds. I am willing to be your on that night.”

-------------------

Sulli punched the sack as hard as she could. But her back hurt and she fell on her knee.

This is frustrating. She’s almost recovered but she’s still weak! When will she fully recover? And when will she be strong enough?!

Sulli sighed as she pulled herself up. She punched the sack again but this time, the pain was so intense that she suppressed a scream.

No… this can’t go on like this. Once she faces Har again, she wants to be stronger. She can’t fall like that again.

 -------------------

Minho walked the corridors of Davidar. It was the night before the Acquaintance ball and the spirit is high with excitement and enthusiasm. Girls are all around the place comparing dresses and even curling their hair, trying to find what best suits them. Boys hang around together discussing who’s taking which girl to the ball.

Minho has no interest on these kinds of matter at all.

These things are nonsense for him. Though the student council has requested all the Professors to attend, Minho find very little interest in going…. Even after what Donghae said.

We should go, Minho. The head will surely look for us. And besides, it’s one of the last events before the Blazires go out. They’ve worked hard the past two years. We should give them some encouragement for the year ahead, like we do each year.

Minho entered the dark corridors where sunlight does not come in. The darker it gets, the less people. He likes the darkness more than the light. He can relax in the dark. Whereas all eyes were always on him in the light. He likes it when he’s alone. Even his time with Donghae and Joongki cannot compare to his time alone. He likes the silence. When he hears nothing but his own breathing, when all noise of the world is shut, that’s where he feels the most comfort.

But before Minho could reach the darker areas, he heard something moving. It didn’t take him long to realize what it was, it was a sound of someone punching something rather soft. As he came closer he saw who and what it was.

It was the human girl Sulli. And she’s punching a sack of wheat. She punched the sack several times, she seems to be punching it as hard as she could. And then she fell on the floor. She looked dead tired, exhausted. Her face is all wet from sweat, even her clothes are wet. She’s catching her breath as her face tightened.