Chapter Eleven

Polar

Chapter 11

Surprises


 

Her hands were crumpling a fistful of his shirt on his chest as she felt her heart loosen with so much hurt.  She didn’t know why of all places, she ended up in Jaejoong’s place.  They were not even friends to say the least but her feet just brought there and she mindlessly pushed his doorbell.  She couldn’t help it.  The moment he saw his face, she just felt herself breaking and crying in front of him.  She didn’t know why or what she was expecting by being there.

But somehow she felt like all the hurt she was feeling was going away.

Suddenly, she just stopped.  This wasn’t right at all.  She let go of him and distanced herself from him.  It was when she noticed Yunho standing behind Jaejoong, staring at the two of them.  She felt guilty.  She knew she wasn’t doing anything wrong, well maybe she was crying but it wasn’t worth to be guilty of.

“I-I’m sorry,” she said and started to walk out on them.  “I shouldn’t be he–”

She was stopped by a strong grip on her arm.  “No.”

She looked back and saw Jaejoong staring hard at her.  She couldn’t read his face but if he pitied her, she’d rather walk out of there.  “You understand, right?”

It wasn’t intended for her as she saw Yunho walking where they were.  He looked sad but he was smiling gently at them.  Her eyes widened when Yunho reached for Jaejoong’s face, making the latter to look up at the taller one and kissed him softly on the lips.

“Yes.”

If someone would pass just outside of the door, he would have witnessed a very confusing situation.  The intimacy between the two men cannot be justified by any lies that they merely have a platonic relationship while her stricken face staring at them at an awkward situation, arms linked to Jaejoong.

Yunho then smiled and patted her head and walked out of the door without saying another word.  Jaejoong pulled her closer to him and closed his arms around her.  She felt him close the door and walking her to the couch.

“It’s okay.”

She felt tears forming in her eyes again.  She shouldn’t be there, she shouldn’t be inside his arms and feeling comforted.  Her tears weren’t for her broken heart anymore.  Her tears were for the realization that she had wanted to be inside his arms, that she for times that she had spent with him, had fallen for him, the one she should be considered a rival.


 

He let her cry for several more minutes.  He didn’t expect to see her in this state although he was sure that she had been hiding a vulnerable part of her.  A part of him was being killed as he listening to her sob until she fell asleep in his arms. 

He looked at her sleeping on his lap.  He gently laid her when she was already asleep to make her feel comfortable.  It was evident on the outline of her eyes that she had been crying, he was sure that they be redder and puffier when she wakes up.  Not a moment later, she felt her stir.  He watched her eyes open, disoriented at first as it focused on his face. 

He expected her to freak out when she realized their situation but she reached out her hands instead and touched his face.  “Thank you.”

He couldn’t help but smile.  It made his heart warm.  So she was well aware of what happened before she fell asleep, huh?

“I’m going to stay like this for a while,” she said.  She didn’t even bother to ask him if it was okay for him or ask him if he was alright after she slept on his lap as even her head was not that light.  He guessed that once a witch will always be a witch.

“You’re not going to ask me why I suddenly showed up here and cried, are you?” she asked, watching her face.  Of course, he wanted to know why.  He was having a damn moment with Yunho, a break up at that, and she suddenly showed up with stricken face just seconds after admitting to Yunho that he has feelings for her.  He was itching to know.

“I won’t,” he shrugged.  But of course he would not admit to anything.  “It’s not my business to ask every miserable person who would show up on my doorstep.”

She chuckled and immediately stopped.  “Liar.”

Witch, his mind screamed.

“I know you are dying to ask me what happened.”

“Look, Yuri,” he was annoyed already.  Why did have to fall for someone like her.  They would never get along.  “I don’t care whe–”

“She’s pregnant,” she said.

That made him stop.  He knew who she meant.  She wouldn’t cry so hard if it was anyone but Im Yoona.  She waged a psychological war with him because she thought he was hitting on her girlfriend before.  That was how she loves Yoona.

“She is pregnant,” she repeated.  She was going to cry again, he thought as her voice broke.  His hand closed on the hand that was caressing his face.

“I want to be happy for her, I know she had been wishing for a family and she will finally have one,” she said not trying to get her hand out of his. “But she is going to be a family that I am not a part of.  I genuinely want to be happy for her but I feel betrayed.”

“If I could, I’d raise her baby with her, give the baby a family and it would be a dream come true for the two of us but she said the baby’s father offered her marriage and a family for their baby.  He’s going to provide the baby a father that I could or Yoona could never be.”

His hand tightened around hers.  “Don’t cry,” he said.

“I’m not going to cry,” she said and tried to tug her hand out of his but he didn’t let go.  “Am I a bad person, Jae?”

“You want to know what I think?” 

She nodded.  “Though I’m not sure I’d like what you’re going to say.”

“You were a devil in white suit when I first met you,” he saw her roll her eyes, “and I’ve never felt infuriated with anyone as much as I was with you.  I call you a witch and other names you could think of but I never thought you were a bad person.”          

“Witch, huh?” she said and frowned at him.

“Yeah.  We never got along, remember?”

To his surprise, Yuri laughed.  He felt relieved that she didn’t launch a string of insults back at him.  “I don’t even know why of all people, my feet decided to land me here.”

“Maybe you really like me after all,” he said, his heart throbbing at his braving words.  She just looked at him and snorted. 

“Do you have food here?  I’m starving.”


 

When Yuri came back to their house that night, Sunny and Taeyeon were already there.  She figured that the two already knew about Yoona’s condition and decided to give them time that morning.  Their uncharacteristic silence was the proof of that. 

“Is Yoona around?” she asked the two.  The exchange of looks did not escape her.

“She went out.  She said that she’ll be back later and she has to talk to you again,” Taeyeon said.  She just nodded and settled on their couch.  There was something the two wanted to say to her.

“How are you?” Sunny asked.

“You knew, didn’t you?” she asked back.  She has no right to be angry at the two.  She understood if they opted not to say something.  It has to be Yoona who should have said it to her. 

The two exchanged looks again before nodding.  “She was scared to tell you,” Taeyeon said. 

“How are you now?” Sunny asked again.   Sunny would not stop until she answered her.

“I’m ready now,” she said.  Before she left Jaejoong’s house, he told her to be ready to face Yoona.  You’re strong, you’d be fine.  “I love her.  Even if she’s going to build a family without me, I can never change that.”

The two exchanged looks again before hugging her.  She felt overwhelmed.  It was their way of supporting her.  “We’re proud of you,” one of them said.

“Thanks but you have to tell me what you are keeping.  I don’t want to be always the last one to know.” 

“Impatient wretch let us hug you for a while.”

“You are not hugging me, you are trying to kill me by mercilessly depriving me of air!” she exclaimed.

The doorbell then rang and the two let her go.  “Be strong, Yuri-ah,” Sunny said and kissed her on her cheek.  The two opened went to open the door.  She knew there was going to be another confrontation and she knew that she’s going to have her heart broken again.


 

Yuri stared at the couple that was sitting in front of her.  They were nervous.  The guy was already introduced to her as Lee Donghae.  Of course she knew the guy, how could she not?  He was Yoona’s boyfriend when they were still in college.  Her last boyfriend.

In a twisted play of fates, Donghae apparently was the one who got Yoona pregnant and the one who offered her marriage.  He was sincere, she could see that.  His hand never let go of Yoona’s hand which was placed on top of his knee. 

“When was it?” she asked.  She was referring to the time the two made the act of betrayal.  She accepted it already but she still felt cold, she was affected.

“The night you were Kim Jaejoong’s date,” Yoona answered.  She saw Donghae squeezed Yoona’s hand.  “I was jealous.  I couldn’t take it and ran out of the hotel.”

“I saw her in a bar,” Donghae said.  “I talked to her again.  I already old her several times that we have met after college that I still loved her.  She always told me that she has you.  I tried to talk to her again, we were already intoxicated and it happened.”

She looked at Yoona.  She was looking down, she couldn’t look at her.  “You were seeing each other after that?”

“Only when I found out that I was pregnant,” Yoona said.  “I told him first.”

Yuri sighed.  “You want this, right, Yoong?” she asked.  She’ll give her blessing, as long as Yoona’s happy.

Yoona met her eyes.  They were talking to her like they always do.  No one could understand it but her, it was how special their relationship was. 

She smiled and nodded.  Tears were starting to form in her eyes and she tried to hold them back.  Yoona went to her side and hugged her.

“Thank you, thank you,” she said.  She kissed her cheeks, wetting them not on purpose as Yoona was crying.  “Listen, Yul.  I know one of these days, you’ll be happy again.  Maybe happier than you were ever with me.  Trust me, follow your heart.”

She just laughed.  She never imagined her relationship with Yoona will end up like this.  That incident with Jaejoong in their kitchen didn’t even manage to come out.  She looked at Donghae who was just smiling at the two of them, sincere happiness on his face.

“Listen, fishy, you take care of this girl, okay?  If she ever comes crying to me, I will not let give her back to you.”

Donghae just laughed.  Not a moment later, the doorbell rang again.  Their other friends came with Tiffany raising a bottle of champagne for celebration, her bag was suspiciously big. 

She wondered if everyone was just outside when she came home earlier.  Their timing seemed to be perfectly synced.  “Were guys there all along?”

“What are you talking about?  Do you think Jessica could stand waiting for an hour and sixteen minutes outside?” Hyoyeon asked.  The other girls looked at Hyoyeon which seemed like a warning. 

“What Hyoyeon was trying to say was that Jessica had been complaining that the ride here almost took more than hour,” Seohyun said.  She just nodded, totally not convinced.

The doorbell rang once again.

“That must be Sooyoung.” 

“Congratulations!” Sooyoung screamed when Yoona opened the door for her.  When she entered the living room, she said hi to everyone.  “You don’t mind having another guest, do you?”

The other girls just shrugged but Yuri had a feeling that she would be surprised yet again that day.  “I bumped into him just outside so I just invited him over,” Sooyoung continued. 

“Is it a guy?” Hyoyeon asked excitedly.  Sooyoung just raised her brows teasingly.  Moments later, Yoona came and behind her was Kim Jaejoong, looking shy and extremely handsome in jeans and white shirt.


A/N: Thank you for the readers who have been patient all these times that I was taking my sweet time to update this story, who have messaged me to update this, who left comments and who kept on shipping the non-existent JaeRi ship (someday, we gonna cry!) and of course YunRi (:heart:).  

And I also want to take this opportunity to let this story be of help the survivors of the super typhoon Yolanda/Haiyan that wrecked some parts of my country.  We were lucky to be spared, although the typhoon tried to wreck havoc in our place for a few hours, too.  

BottlesForVisayas

WishesForPH

and of course prayers :)