Chapter 3

Fatal Frame: White Lotus

 

Darkness. Completely darkness. They could vaguely see fog ahead of them but neither of them moved an inch. Ken shivered uncontrollably. Both of their breathing picked up.

"L-Leo?"

"...Yes..?"

"I'm scared..."

"It's okay...I'll just change the batteries," Leo said pulling his knapsack off of his back taking out a spare pair of AA batteries. He took the old ones out of the flashlight and put in the new ones, but when he clicked the flashlight on, nothing happened. 

"Aren't those new betteries???" said Ken.

"Yeah they are. I'm not sure why they aren't working..." Ken held onto Leo for dear life, scared out of his wits. "Come on, we won't get anywhere if we keep sitting here. We need to keep moving," said Leo.

"How can we without a flashlight?? What if something grabs me??"

"Relax, just hold onto me okay?" Ken nodded his head and kept a firm grip around Leo's arm. They both stood up and continued to walk ahead in the dark. It wasn't too long that they saw a silhoutte of a person in front of them, moving slowly. Ken gasped and held onto Leo tighter.

"Hongbin?" Leo choked out. He quickly ran ahead, leaving Ken behind. "Hongbin! Is that you?!" Leo shouted running. The person didn't acknowledge him. When he was close he reached out, but the figure disappeared. He looked at his hand, almost positive he could of grabbed him, but he felt nothing but air. Leo began to turn around when his foot kicked something. There was something unusual on the ground. Just then, Leo's flashlight came back on. He shined his flashlight down on the object.

"Leo!!!" Ken cried running up to him. "Why did you leave me behind!?! I could've been killed!! You want me gone don't you???" he shouted, but Leo's eyes remained on the ground. Ken looked down to what Leo's flashlight was shining on. It looked like a camera, but it was no ordinaty camera. It was very old, almost resembling a camera of the 1950s.

"I-Is that.." Ken started as Leo bended down to pick the camera up. "I don't think you should touch---" Too late. As soon as Leo placed his hand on the camera, the old object showed him a vision.

"So...this is the Camera Obscura.." a man said in a low voice. "...it takes pictures of impossible things." 

The man walked up to an ominous tree, holding the camera up to his face. A swarm of hands flew out from the tree, attempting to grab him. He snapped a picture quickly before they snatched him. As the shutter flashed, the hands retreated from their attack.

The man looked down at the camera in disbelief. "So...it can exorcise spirits as well.."

Leo gasped as he came back to reality. Ken was kneeled down beside him, looking at him with worried eyes.

"Are you okay??" he cried.

"Yeah...this camera..." Leo said looking down at the camera in his hands. "I had a vision when I touched it...and it showed me a man...taking a picture of something that tried to attack him," said Leo.

"I told you you shouldn't have touched it. Something's not right, and I have a bad feeling about that camera. It's just giving off a bad vibe and I feel a lot of negativity.." said Ken. Leo's eyes remained down at the camera.

"The Camera Obscura..." he said.

"The what?" said Ken. Just then, they heard rustling in the trees. It sounded as if someone was there, and felt as if someone was watching them with blood thirsty eyes. Leo shined his flashlight in the direction they heard the noise, but no it moved away from that spot. He quickly shined it behind him. No, it moved again. The noise was cirling them, confusing them. Then it just stopped...

Ken was breathing hard, holding onto Leo again, frightened. "It's okay," Leo said rubbing Ken's arm. "Come on, let's go." Leo stood up and when he turned around...there stood a pale man with gashes all over his face. His mouth, open wide drawing closer to Leo..directly in front of him. "!!!" Leo shouted as he fell backwards, backing up. Ken screamed loud and fell back as well.

"The lotus...the lakehouse..." the ghost muttered nonsense getting closer to Leo. Leo was in complete shock he couldn't believe right in front of him...a ghost was revealing itself...trying to attack him. Leo looked at his hand and realized the camera was still in his grip. He quickly put it up to his face and snapped a photo of the man, causing him to stagger back, covering his eyes with his arms as if the flash pained him. Leo snapped the shutter again, this time bringing the ghost to his feet.

"She'll kill you...she's a killer..." the ghost whispered as he disappeared completely. Leo and Ken sat there, trying to take in everything that just happened. Leo finally stood up and looked back at Ken, who looked like he peed his pants.

"Ken are you okay? Come on get up," Leo said, pulling Ken to his feet.

"I-It was a ghost...it came after us..." Ken said trembling.

"I think it might have had something to do with...this camera," said Leo.

"Then leave it! It's too dangerous!! We could've been killed just now! I warned you about this...we're gonna die...they're all gonna kill us.."

"Ken stop it, we're not gonna die, trust me. I think we should take the camera with us. You saw what it did just now. This camera has unbelievable power," said Leo. He kept his eyes on Ken. "And...you were right...I'm sorry I didn't believe you," he said. Ken looked back at him.

"W-what do you mean?"

"About the woods, about the ghosts. I would've never believed it if I hadn't seen it with my own eyes," Leo said, then wrapped his arms around Ken in a tight hug. "I'm sorry.." he whispered again. Ken blushed and hugged Leo back tightly.

"It's okay...I forgive you," he said. 

"Hang on a sec.." Leo said pulling away from the hug.

"What is it?" said Ken.

"Did you hear...? What the ghost was mumbling?" asked Leo.

"I didn't hear anything over my own screaming," said Ken.

"I managed to hear the words 'lotus' and 'lakehouse.' I'm not sure what that means exactly...but when it died it said 'she'll kill us, she's a killer'...do you think it's possible the spirit was trying to warn us?"

"No Leo, that was a bad spirit. It tried to kill us. We would've been dead if it weren't for that camera. Normally the bad spirits aren't the ones that try to help you," said Ken.

"I'm trying to figure this out and that's what it sounded like to me...but maybe you're right. Let's just try to hurry up and find Hongbin. I'm getting really worried about him...since the rumors are true," said Leo. Leo grabbed Ken's arm and held him close to him, insuring that they stayed together. The walked forward continuing their quest. Without realizing it, they just so happened to walk by another glowing white lotus, however this lotus was missing some of its petals...

 

 

------------------------------------------------------

A/N: Hey guys!! I had planned on updating my Code Lyoko story tonight but ended up doing this one because I couldn't just leave you guys hanging with the way the last chapter ended! :) So the Camera Obscura is the main aspect of Fatal Frame and now that Ken and Leo found it...things will start happening to them...insteresting things...stay tuned my loves!! <3