Chapter 9

Wake Me Up When I'm Back to Normal

Two years later:              

               Yoongi wipes away his sweat drizzling down on his forehead. His adrenaline pumping through his veins, heavy breaths. There's a million thoughts running through his mind. 

              He sets the dumbbells down. He grabs his towel and pats his neck dry, leaving it draped around his shoulders. He's shirtless, his skin is damp, glistening under the lights.

               He takes a shower, after he gets out water is dripping from his pointed down hair, his body is scented with his natural scent and body wash, old spice. He brushes his teeth, the foam drips from his mouth, down his chin, he likes it. He think's he looks like Santa Claus with his white tooth paste beard. He rinses his mouth out and breaths in the ice cold air.

               It's been a three years, three months, and five days. He's kept track of the day Na Rim left. She said only a year. One year she'd be gone, she's two years late! He's furious and sad. He misses her like crazy. The last thing she did was hug him. That hug has been lingering in his mind since the day it happened. He got his hopes up when the day came for her to come back; then Jin got off the phone and told everyone that she decided to stay and receive her bachelor's degree in science before returning to Korea. Life went back to how it was. The chase for the witch continued and of course, lead to no leads. Just dead ends left and right. It's been harder than ever, the past few months they haven't been trying much. Yoongi himself has lost interest, his anger at the witch slightly subsided. He's still upset about his sister, but catching the witch won't bring her back Na Rim back. 

               Yoongi turns on the piano and blasts the music up. Chords ring in his ear and linger as more chords and lines of notes follow. He's past a lot of his time learning how to play piano and guitar. He's gotten extremely good. He likes to pour his emotions into sheet music and create pieces. He's always been a musical person, but lately it's been flowing out of him like diarrhea, which is freakishly disgusting. 

               Yoongi slams his hands down on the piano when he hits a wrong note. Uneven, ugly sounds play at once, creating a horrible melody. His anger is pouring out too.

               He runs to the kitchen and grabs his keys, he wants to see Aunt Kim before another attempt to pass his time. He swings the door open, and shoots outside. He crashes into a body and it falls over. He reaches out and wraps his arm around it's back, pulling it towards him. It presses against his chest. It's familiar. Really familiar.

               He looks down, dark, strawberry scented hair meets him, his eyes widen. His heart flutters. Na Rim?

               "Yoongi!" She stammers out of her, pushing away from his chest and smooths the wrinkles out of her clothes. She's wearing a baggy oversized shirt with jean shorts, "I didn't expect you to be here. I thought Jin was home."

               Yoongi stares at her and his sassy brain takes over, speaking out a Yoongi response, "you're two years late."

               "Yeah, I know," she awkwardly grabs her hair and it, "I decided to stay."

               "So why are you here? You still have one more year," he leans against the door frame, arms crossed, legs crossed.

               "I finished early, my credits that is. I got my diploma and everything!" She clicks the heels of her tennis shoes together, eager to come in. 

               Yoongi sighs, he tries to be angry at her, usually he is with people who do that, but he's calm; comfortable even, like a day hasn't passes without her, "you coming in or what?"

               Her face brightens up, she smiles and leaps forward, giving him a big hug. He's surprised, he doesn't know what to do with his arms, her grip tightens around his neck. He's reluctant but quickly hugs back. His heart is beating like a set of drums. Her scent fills his head. He's at a daze. Their second hug ever in three years. She's more comfortable than he is right now.

               She lets go and runs inside, racing up to Jin's room. He screams in surprise and excitement. The others come out of their room's to see what the commotion's about. They're pleased themselves.

               Yoongi smiles to himself. Welcome home, Na Rim.

               He waits patiently for everyone to come down stairs. They gather around Na Rim by the couch as she tells her stories about college, friends, the nice people in the town. 

               Yoongi pays attention to every detail, "It was crazy guys! I didn't know any French besides the some I studied in high school."

               "So how well do you speak now?" Jin asks interested.

               "You're a monkey on a trampoline," she speaks in French. They all ooh and ah in surprise. Their little stuffed animal lover learned a new language.

               Jung Kook speaks up, "I'm glad you had a  great time. I missed you like crazy! NEVER leave me again!" He wraps his arm around her and pulls her to him, squeezing her tightly. She grunts and laughter. He lets go and apologizes.

               "I don't know about you guys, but I say we celebrate!" Nam Joon grabs Hoseok, who's siting on the arm of the couch and pulls him backwards. He falls onto the floor head first and everyone hears a loud THUD! They laugh as Hoseok tries pushing Nam Joon as revenge.

               "Food sounds great right now," Yoongi says calmly. He grins a tiny bit. Na Rim looks over at him and smiles warmly. He awkwardly rubs his neck and looks away. 

               "Yeah, it's five o'clock right now. We'll need to leave now if we expect to get in somewhere without a long waiting line," Jimin grabs Jung Kook's hand and pulls him along with him to the car. 

               Everyone climbs in, Yoongi crawls in the back, Na Rim follows, sitting right down next to him. Everyone else gets in and makes themselves comfortable. Yoongi quickly withdrawals his leg whenever it brushes against hers. Okay, maybe he doesn't feel as comfortable as he thought he did. 

               Everyone plays the ABC game. A topic is picked: Animals, and everyone has to say an animal that starts with the letter of the alphabet. Once everyone finishes a letter then they move on the the next.

               "Alpaca!" Jin says.

               "Aardvark," Jung Kook screams.

               Et Cetera.

               Yoongi participates in the game as well. But he's silent until it's his turn. Na Rim's proud of him, at least he's trying.

               About ten minutes pass by and they arrive at the restaurant. They are seated and everyone orders a plate of food.

               "Who's paying for all of this?" Hoseok asks.

               Everyone turns to Nam Joon, "Hey, don't look at me. I paid last time."

               "There's only one way to solve this, you guys," Tae Hyung sounds dark and mysterious, like something serious needs to be done, "Rock, Paper, Scissors."

               Everyone puts their hands into the center of the table.

               "KAI BAI BO!" They all scream and shoot out their choice of object. Jimin, Nam Joon, and Hoseok are safe from the bill. Tae Hyung, Na rim, Yoongi, Jung Kook, and Jin still remain.

               "KAI BAI BO!" Jin, Tae Hyung and Jung Kook.

               Just Yoongi and Na Rim are left.

               "Kai Bai Bo," the two say and throw their hands down. Yoongi is paper, Na Rim is rock. He wins.

               "You have to pay!" Tae Hyung points and laughs at Na Rim. She smiles in shame. Yoongi feels a dad bit guilty.

               "She won, guys. I have to pay," Yoongi takes the bill.

               "What are you talking about?" Jimin speaks, "You got paper, she got rock. You won."

               "Rock obviously beats paper. It can crush it and rip it to shreds. Paper can only cover rock. It does nothing, she won." Yoongi convinces them Na Rim won.

               She is touched by his generosity to take the bill, but she doesn't need it, "I got it," she whispers to him."

               "Are you sure? I can pay for it," he reassures her.

               "I got it," she whispers again.

               The waiter comes with everyone's food. They chow down. Yoongi goes to the bathroom and secretly goes to the front counter and pays for the meals. There's no way he's letting her pay for everything. A true gentleman never lets the woman pay.

               He returns to the table as if nothing happened.

               Everyone finishes their food and go to the bathroom. Na Rim along with them. She meets them outside.

               "Guys, someone already paid for the food," she says confused.

               "Maybe you have a secret admirer," Jung Kook teases.

               "Yeah, maybe that's it," she shrugs and walks with everyone to the car. Yoongi is silent for the rest of the ride home.

 

When they reach the house everyone grabs a chair and pulls it up to the game table. They play cards, games, word games, anything they could think of until the sun comes up. By ten o'clock everyone is passed out around the floor. Yoongi is curled up in the middle of the floor. Na Rim covers him up before sleeping herself. She lays down a few feet away from him. She takes one last look at his calm, unstirred face and shuts her eyes, making sure that the bed bugs won't bite.

 

 

 

                                      Hey guys, I have sad news. I need to cut this story short. I don't have a lot of free time and I don't like making you guys wait, so I'm going to wrap it up in a few more chapters.