Stephanie Hwang

The Unloved: The Unwanted Series

Two Days Ago
Bookstore

“It’s Stephanie---Stephanie Hwang.”

Sunny didn’t exactly know what to say nor what to do; how to react? Because she swore to God the moment this person who still had her hand extended towards her spitted out her name, Sunny’s brain had completely shut off. And she looked like a total right now with her eyes as round as Puss in Boots’ eyes, and slightly agape. She was still staring at Stephanie like it was the first time she was seeing a live person right before her very eyes. It was like when she first fell and Tiffany’s face showed up before her eyes all over again. It was like she was having a dejà vu.

Receiving no response from the other end, Stephanie slowly retracted her hand, but still kept the polite smile on her face as she looked at Sunny; still wishing for a decent reaction. Any reaction would do, as long as she knows the person acknowledges her presence. Because from her past experiences, no one had really seen her as an actual person. To them, she was just a typical nerd who goes on adventures anytime she desired. Somehow, she wanted that to change. Somehow, she wanted this person in front of her to see that she was something more. That she was something else...

Nicole made it in time to witness the little situation happening in front of the cash register. Of course, Stephanie was the first one who acknowledged her presence since Sunny was still in a state of shock. “So, I see you’ve finally met my friend, Sunny unnie.” Nicole started, carefully placing the books Sunny purchased on the counter. She waved a hand in front of Sunny and fortunately, that did the trick. “Yeah... is she always like that?” Stephanie whispered when Sunny finally moved and was shaking her head multiple times before looking back at Nicole.

The corners of Nicole’s lips just quirked up into an almost devilish smirk.

Then, Sunny widened her eyes once again and slowly looked back at the girl beside her like what happens to a protagonist in a horror movie and he just discovered that there was a ghost standing right beside him all along.

“Yeah,” Nicole’s answer came on. “She usually reacts that way whenever she meets new people. Especially... beautiful people.” A wink towards Stephanie’s direction. Stephanie slaps Nicole softly in the arm after that. And Sunny finally looks away from Stephanie for the second time now. “So since we’re in this situation anyways, and there aren’t much customers coming in now, I might as well introduce you to one another.” “You guys know each other?” And Sunny finally found her voice that was lost a while ago when Stephanie stepped inside the bookstore and right beside her. Nicole shrugs. “Yeah. We were classmates in Theology last semester.” Yura suddenly shows up from the side and hands Stephanie the book she was looking for. “Along with this piece of right here.” Yura slaps Nicole in the arm. The mood lightened up a bit after that. Nicole continues. “So yeah, unnie, this is Stephanie Hwang,” Nicole leans over the counter and pinches the girl’s cheek. “And Steph, this is Sunny Lee... unnie.”

Stephanie giggles at the mention of Sunny’s name. Never in her life did she encounter someone who has such an endearing name. Too cute for her liking. “Cute name. You Korean-American?”

Sunny took a split second glance at Nicole and the younger girl immediately slips into her mind. ‘Start a decent conversation.’ Like a child being told by her mother to answer her teacher’s question, Sunny immediately complies. The fallen took a deep breath and gathered up courage to look at Stephanie in the eye. “Y-Yeah. You could say that. I was born i-in L.A.” Right then, Stephanie swore she would’ve hugged Sunny right now if the latter weren’t so awkward. “You’re from L.A.?? Me too!” She squealed. And for the first time since they’ve met, Sunny smiled. To which never failed to make her squeal more. “You should smile often. You’re more cute with it.”

One of the many things Nicole hadn’t told Sunny yet: she has a loud mouth---always saying just about anything inside her head without any hesitations. Her brain cells work like that, Stephanie had told Nicole one fine day.

‘Oh Jung Yong Joo, you’re so dead.’

Nicole tried not to snort at that threat.

Sunny grabbed the plastic bag from atop the counter and smiles once again. Stephanie swooned. But she’d keep that to herself for now. Probably a new thing for her to do. “Listen, it’s uh, nice to meet you but... can I talk to Nic just one moment?” The four girls (Yura, Sunny, Stephanie, and Nicole) all exchanged glances at each other before Stephanie reciprocates Sunny’s charming smile and nods. “Sure. I was just about to go too.” She extended a hand once again, hoping for the second time Sunny would finally acknowledge her. And the angel did. “It was nice meeting you too, Sunny.”

If it were Yoona who was holding her hand right now, she would’ve had seizures the moment those electric currents came rushing through her veins like the night Yoona have awaken from the dead. But that wasn’t the case. Sunny wasn’t even entirely sure what was happening until she felt her non-functioning heart seemingly hammering on her chest like drums. “Nic, be out in ten seconds.” One last smile from Sunny to Stephanie and the angel successfully broke the skin to skin contact they both shared.

For the first time in about a hundred years since she met Tiffany did she got so confused she can’t even think straight right now.

Because it was happening all over again.

That day when she met Jung Miyoung was happening all over again.

“This isn’t happening.

“This can’t be happening.”

 

 

 

 

 

Present Day
HHG University

It was Monday all over again and the ‘Team Jessica’ (or so that’s what Yoona proposed to call it) was scattered inside the room with normal people, spending a normal time in a normal world with a quite normal professor. Everything was perfectly normal, then, there’s Sunny. Who hadn’t been her normal self the past two days, and she knows the girls have noticed it by now. Well, that’s why Sooyoung and Hyoyeon were both annoying her by throwing paper balls onto her desk to make her talk.

Having enough Sunny turned her torso around to glare at her two friends; not forgetting to check whether their teacher was done on writing the problems on the board or not.

“Would you two quit it?! I look like a trash bin here!” She harshly whispered before turning back to face the front. On the rear side of the room, Hyoyeon and Sooyoung exchanged meaningful glances towards each other and even before Sunny could have the slightest idea what they were about to do---what Sooyoung was about to do, the school bell finally rang. The rest of the girls inside the room were baffled. “Woah! What just happened?” Yoona exclaimed. The nine girls all looked at each other. They were the only ones left inside the room by now. Their eyes all landed on Sooyoung. And even before the fallen could say anything, a hard slap landed against her shoulder. “Ow!”

Seohyun’s glares met Sooyoung’s pretend hurt ones. “What did you do?! How many times do we have to tell everyone to NOT---I repeat, NOT use any of our powers in public??” Nope. Juhyun isn’t mad. Well... sort of. “Sorry, angel. I had to do it to make Sunny talk.” Without any further ado, Sooyoung stands up from her chair and wraps her long arms around Seohyun and squeezes the life out of her. Yoona clears at that point. Seohyun rolls her eyes at Sooyoung’s attempt at making Yoona jealous. Again. “Whatever. Just don’t do it again.”

The one mocking salute from Sooyoung made everyone disperse and gather their things. Except for Tiffany who was now having her best friend business with Lee Soonkyu. “So, what’s wrong?” The vampire asked. Sunny looked at her for solid five seconds then sighed. “Nothing’s wrong, okay? Stop worrying about me.” Tiffany rolled her eyes; Sooyoung and Hyoyeon on the either sides of her now. The rest were just there, listening.

“That’s what you always tell me when something’s bothering you.”

“It isn’t a something, unnie. It’s rather, a someone.” Seohyun chimes in, leaning back against Yoona who was also leaning back on the wall of the rear part of the room; hugging her from behind.

Sunny mentally face-palmed herself. She forgot Juhyun could read minds. Was she that preoccupied?

“Yes, you’re that preoccupied.” Seohyun says yet again, slowly smirking. She knew there was no way Sunny was getting out of this (like she’d let her get away with this anyway.) “Now, will you tell us what is it that’s bothering you or am I gonna continue telling them the secrets inside your mind?”

“Could you just please give me a moment to say how much I hate your powers?”

Seohyun shrugged her shoulders nonchalantly. “It comes in handy.”

Sunny groans one last time.

“I saw her.” The angel says to her friends; though, mostly to Tiffany. And her vampire bestie just bobbed her head in understanding. She nibbled on her lower lip, hesitating on her next question. “So you like her already?” That’s when everyone started getting more and more confused. “Wait. Who exactly is this person we’re talking about here?” They were all now in a form of a distorted circle, and were all throwing gazes to and fro at the two best friends.

Tiffany heaves a breath and answers, “She met my reincarnation,” And the rest of the girls widened their eyes. Some gasped lightly in shock. Tiffany then decided to continue, “Her name’s Stephanie Young Hwang. She was born in L.A. but was raised in Abu Dhabi. She has an older brother and an older sister; a father as well. But her father resides in L.A. with her sister. Her brother’s in the Philippines. Now, she resides here in Seoul but don’t ask me where because that’s all I’ve gathered about her background so far.” Tiffany says all in one deep breath.

The others just stood there with their mouths agape at the broad information about this girl named Stephanie Hwang. And Sunny, well, Sunny was beyond astonished than she ever was when she saw Stephanie in that bookstore two days ago. Because her best friend just admitted that she was actually digging into someone else’s life without her consent. And it’s not even just someone else. This was her freaking reincarnation they were talking about for God’s sake.

“You were stalking her?” Sunny asked.

Tiffany shrugs her shoulders indifferently. “Not really stalking. I was just investigating about her background for safety measures. Clearly this world humans live in isn’t quite what they expected it to be.” “And did you find anything suspicious?” Jessica mused. Tiffany shook her head no. “No. That’s as far as I’ve known. But believe me when my intuition says she isn’t here coincidentally.”

“So you’re saying that this... what’s her name? Stephanie?” Sooyoung paused and shot Tiffany a glance, to which the latter quickly grasped onto the message. A nod. “Right. So you think this Stephanie girl has an ulterior motive as to why she suddenly shows up and meets Sunny. Huh. It’s been a while since we’ve had guests.” She sarcastically stated. Probably, it was meant to be a joke but all of the people inside the room knows clearly what they all had been through in just a year. Seems like it was starting again.

But the girls decided to lay low for a while. Because they could be misinterpreting things for all they know. They didn’t want to jump to conclusions that might lead them to trouble, yet again. As Jessica said earlier (before they went down to the cafeteria because Sooyoung kept bugging them by telling them she’s hungry) They’ll get there. Eventually. For now, they’ll just try and be normal for once. And as usual, the girls were seated at a long table by McDonald’s and were eating peacefully. Well, except for Yoona who was busy on her phone ever since they came down. She still wasn’t that used to human food, that’s a fact.

Tiffany then started to ask another set of questions. “So, how does she look like?”

Sunny (as well as the other girls) almost laughed. “Uh... pretty much just like you? Well, except for the slight chubby cheeks, the fringe, and the short hair. But still, hairstyle aside, she literally looks like your photocopied version.” Tiffany slaps her in the arm just because. And Sunny giggles---partly because of Tiffany’s reaction, and partly because she realized just now how cute Stephanie was. “She’s a lot more cuter though.” Another slap. The group burst in fits of giggles. Tiffany took her cup and sipped the content inside before retorting, “I’m sure I’m a lot ier though.” With a hair flip that always made people swoon and go weak on the knees. Add that flirtatious wink to that ever growing list of ‘Things Tiffany Jung does to people’.

Taeyeon seconds the motion of her girlfriend’s statement. “Yeah. Even though I haven’t seen this girl yet, I couldn’t agree more.” And just like that, TaeNy’s shameless flirting in front of the other eight escalated in just a span of a nanosecond. Sunny rolled her eyes. Well, everyone else did too so...

Yuri playfully groaned as she stood up first. “Gays, quit the crap. We’re going to be late for class.” The others stood up as well; almost having a domino effect on the group. But as soon as they’ve made up the stairs and took that turn, they got all taken aback more than ever.

“The fu---what are you guys doing here??” Tiffany exclaimed. And the five boys standing right before them just laughed. The hallway were now filled with high pitched squeals and screaming from the students that were suddenly huddled behind them. Exactly like the fans of One Direction. Out of the boys, Liam turned to answer the question still hanging in the air. “Well, since we didn’t have much to do today, we figured to stroll around the city. And while we’re at it, stroll around the campus as well. It’s pretty boring with just us five in the hotel room, you know?” Right then Jessica noticed something odd. “Wait. Why are you in uniforms?”

Sooyoung suddenly raised her hand in the air and whistled. “Could you all please give us a moment of privacy, and go back to your respective rooms?” She hollered amidst the noisy crowd surrounding them. And when not even one soul moved, Sooyoung decided to be more assertive. “NOW.” She glared at the people that surrounded the area from left to right. And it worked. It always does. That’s one of the reasons why 99.9 percent of the students of the university feared them---because of their impeccable reputations.

And when Sooyoung was sure the coast is clear, the conversation resumed. “Your brother said since it’s probably going to take some time before your decision comes out, we might as well be kept busy for a while until that time comes. So, he enrolled us for this semester.”

“HE WHAT??”

Harry let out a small laugh and shrugged. “We’re totally fine with it. We’ve been in the institute for too long, I can’t even remember the last time we went to school. Especially when it’s a mundane school.” The sisters felt their heads spinning at the revelation. Sure, they were all childhood friends. But they haven’t seen each other for exactly ten years, surely, a lot of things have changed in that amount of time. Considering the fact that the boys aren’t much fond of humans because like Harry said earlier, they’ve been inside the institute far too long. And they could be naughty sometimes. So Jessica wasn’t going to just stand there and let the five of them roam around the premises and go ruin their respectable images.

The group’s ice princess was about to cuss at the five when the bell finally rang. Louis slips his hands inside his jeans’ pockets and beckons the boys to come along. “Come on, guys. We’re late for our first class.” The four other members then waved goodbye to the group and turned to walk ahead. Jessica sighed as they watched the boys’ disappearing figures.

“Go ahead to class. I just need to talk to my idiot of a brother.”

 

 

 

Jessica made it in just five seconds to the faculty room after making sure no mundane students were walking astray by the corridors before she used her super speed powers to get to her brother---who was probably in the midst of a board meeting right now.

The vampire carefully opened the door that lead to the faculty and a professor immediately greeted her sights. Jessica let out a polite smile; so did the professor. “Miss Min, uh, I wish to have a word with my brother? Is he here?” The teacher who was named as ‘Ms. Min’ nodded her head and offered to go get Inguk instead. “Wait here. I’ll get your brother.” Jessica stood near the door as she waited for Ms. Min and her brother, and as soon as Inguk had emerged from one of the rooms at the end of the hallway, Jessica glares at him and beckons him to go with her with a light gesture using her head. The other vampire gulped. Because indeed, in vampire years, Jessica is older than him.

Jessica waited outside.

“What is it? I’m in the middle of a very important meeting.” Inguk says; looking at Jessica wary from head to toe. Jessica throws him a sharp look and if they weren’t inside the campus, he would’ve cowered. Because Jung Sooyeon is really, really, REALLY scary. “What was that?!” The brunette spat in a hushed tone. No matter what, she still cares for Inguk’s reputation as a professor in this learning institute. Of course, he’s her brother after all. “What was what?”

In a blink of an eye, they were now both outside in the football field. “Hey, you can’t just use powers openly like that! That was your rule, remember?” Inguk scolded his sister and instantly regrets it. “Oppa, you think I’m stupid? Of course I know my rules. And of course I checked. But that’s not the whole point why I called you out here. As I was asking you earlier, WHAT. WAS. THAT? And don’t even dare divert the conversation because you know how persistent I am so just get straight to the point.” Inguk swallowed the lump in his throat. “I don’t even know what you’re talking about.” Jessica rolled her eyes and ruffled her hair. “The boys are here. And they told us that you told them to keep themselves occupied by studying here. What’s that? Are you out of your freaking mind? You enrolled them.”

“Oh. That. Well, I was supposed to tell you that yesterday, but you were out with Yuri and Tiffany was busy with Taeyeon, and Seohyun was in Yoona’s apartment so I didn’t have the opportunity to. Hehe... surprise?”

Jessica slapped her forehead and groaned in utmost frustration. No matter how Inguk was intelligent in academics, at things such as this, sometimes he could be a complete airhead. “What are phones invented for?” Inguk crossed his arms by his chest; the sun glaring immensely at their skins, making them sparkle. Good thing there wasn’t a single soul out where they stood. “Yeah, I thought of texting or calling you guys but I figured that you might be busy with your endeavours with your girlfriends. I didn’t want to walk in on something.” A laugh. Jessica glares at him and slaps him in the chest. “This isn’t the time to laugh. You know how those five brats are, and I’m not letting them ruin our image because of their recklessness.”

“Okay, okay. Look, I’ll look out for the boys; make sure they won’t do anything stupid, alright? Geez, Sooyeon, you should be happy. I mean, they’re like your best friends too.”

“I wanted to be happy because we’ll see them everyday from now onwards, but you know, a lot has changed over the past years, and I’m not going to risk our exposure. Because if that happens just because they decided to play around, then, we are done with Seoul. Again. Maybe even forever. And I’m not planning on leaving this city for the hundredth time, oppa. You should know that.”

That’s when Inguk finally gets enlightened by the situation. His sister was only worried for all of them. Because she was right. The boys could be careless and reckless most of the times---always doing what they want, not caring if humans will witness it and tell on their true nature. Jessica was only being cautious on what might happen to all of them if someone discovered what they truly were. They’ve all been there, and it would be a complete disaster if they went through it all over again just because of five heedless vampire roaming around the campus. “I’m not going to let anything bad happen, okay? You have my word. And you know I always keep it.” Inguk then, murmurs a soft “Come here” and hugs Jessica; patting the latter’s back in a soft rhythm. Jessica pats him in answer.

“Now, get to class. You’re late.” Inguk says as he pulls away. Jessica grins up at him. “A Jung is never late. Especially when there’s a Choi Sooyoung around.” She winks last at her brother and starts to head back inside the building. Inguk could only shake his head in disbelief. His siblings definitely have a thing for breaking rules.

 

 

 

 

 

Two Days Ago
Bookstore

Sunny nearly glared at Nicole as soon as the door opened and closed and they were now both outside of the establishment. Nicole crossed her arms by her chest and grinned at Sunny, who was still staring at her quite irritably. “Who is she?” Sunny began, and the grin on Nicole’s face couldn’t get any wider. “Well, like I told you. She’s Stephanie Hwang. We were classmates in Theology. Thus, explaining our chemistry earlier. Why are you so agitated?” She teased. Because clearly, she knows where this was all coming from, she just wanted to see her friend THIS worked up. It was funny.

“Don’t play with me, Nic. Because as obvious at it is, that girl looks like Tiffany!” The angel almost yelled. Some of the by passers were shooting questioning glances at the two of them. “Where’s she from anyways?” Nicole leaned sideways onto the glass window of the store. “Gangnam. But she wasn’t born here. Like she said, she’s from L.A.”

Sunny sighs heavily. She runs fingers through her long locks. She momentarily closes her eyes and lets the ray of the sun burn into her skin. And when she opened them again, they immediately caught sight of the glittering skin of Nicole's being shone by the sunlight. ‘Nic, your hand.’ Nicole hid the exposed hand and glanced warily if somebody from the streets saw her shining, shimmering hand.

“But why didn’t you at least told me there was a person roaming around the streets that looks exactly like the love of my life?” Sunny continues the conversation. Nicole suppressed a grin at the blatant title Sunny gave Tiffany just now. “You know, when I first saw her, I had that same expression as yours from earlier---shocked, unwavering, confused. I mean, yeah, I believe in reincarnations but that was unexpected. For my whole eighty years of being a vampire, I’ve never seen a single doppelganger of someone I knew. Especially the ones close to me. Until Stephanie came and... damn I’ve never been more dumbfounded my whole life.” She laughed softly. “Were you like that when you first met Tiffany unnie?” There wasn’t even a proper reason why but Sunny found herself flushed at the question.

“I mean, you know, shocked? Awed? Love struck?”

Sunny threw daggers towards Nicole again, but decided to answer anyways since Nicole can be really, really annoying sometimes. “Oh please, I looked stupid when we first met. I was just staring up at her with my mouth agape and my mind couldn’t process even just a single word. And she just giggled at me. It was one of the most embarrassing moments of my life. If only I could go back in time and finally say something.”

“You could’ve asked Juhyun to take you back.”

The fallen angel groaned. “She did. And she spent the whole day that time teasing me and laughing at me for being smitten with her sister.” Nicole couldn’t hold it in and laughed right on Sunny’s exasperated face. “Aish... that brat!”

Nicole shrugged. “Well, I would’ve laughed at you too if I ever saw that.” Sunny playfully rolled her eyes. “Whatever. I’m leaving.” The fallen turned to walk away and back to the mansion. “Bye, unnie~” Nicole yelled at her friend’s disappearing figure last before returning inside the bookstore where Stephanie was still busy chatting with Yura while the latter attended to customers at the same time. The two friends looked up when the bell on the door chimed and Nicole stepped in. “You still here? I thought you already left?” The vampire directed the question to Stephanie.

Stephanie unleashed her eye-smile. “Well, I was just about to, but Yura wanted some more chit-chattin’ so... but anyways, I’ll be really going now. I’ll see you guys around.” She patted Yura on the shoulder lightly, and Nicole as well as she turned to leave.

“Hey, I excuse my friend for being like that earlier.” Stephanie stopped on her tracks and looked back at Nicole, who was now standing behind the cash register. “She’s not really into talking to strangers. But she’s a good person if you get to know her. Who knows, since I’m a mutual friend, you two could start somewhere along that line too.” Stephanie smiles again. “It’s alright. She’s cute. And you know I have this weird for cute people regardless if they’re rude or something. But yeah, your friend Sunny seemed fine. And who knows, maybe you’re right; maybe we could be friends too.”

Nicole flashed a toothy grin.

“See you around, Nic~”

“Yeah. Byeeeeee~”

The bell chimed and the door opened and closed. Yura and Nicole watched as their friend walked away from that body-length window on their side. They then resumed their work as more people came by the store.

 

 

 

 

Present Day
One Direction

The five boys entered the designated room for their ‘Computer Science I’ subject just in time that the professor went in and greeted the class. The boys sat by the very last row as they paid attention (or at least looked like it) to the speaker in front. Niall took a chance to lean in towards Louis, who was sitting beside Zayn on his left. “Hey, you sure about this?” The blonde almost whispered. Louis glanced at him twice. And after confirming that the teacher was too busy writing the lectures for today on the board, Louis finally looked back and whispered, “Just trust me, okay?”

Meanwhile on Niall’s right side---where Harry and Liam were sitting---a heavy sigh came about and all the unwanted attention were now on Harry’s. He looked back at them and gave Louis a meaningful glare.

“We don’t hurt them. We aren’t instructed for that.” Harry says, putting pressure on every word so that the older one could get the message he was trying to deliver; or more like a warning he was trying to send. Louis chuckled, almost mockingly. “Don’t worry, brother. I have no desire in harming your love and her family. We just have to do what has to be done. Although, I won’t promise there won’t be casualties.” Harry swore that was one of the few times his blood boil because of Louis’ ruthless nature. Zayn almost stood from his chair---preventing his brother and his friend from beating each other up at this moment.

“Stop it. This is not the time for that. It’ll all be for nothing if the two of you won’t stop getting at each other. So quiet it down.”

Louis let out a confident smirk, whilst Harry could only glare at their leader. Zayn then whipped his head towards his older brother’s direction. “Listen, you know we are only in this with you because you said it was the right thing to do. And we trust you. But remember that there shall not be any innocent individuals or immortals harmed or else, we will be breaking the law. Do you understand?” The smirk on Louis’s lips never left even when he looked straight ahead and paid attention to the class.

“Oh I understand, my little brother. Don’t worry, I’ll try not to kill anyone. Besides, my plan isn’t to assassinate anybody, well, unless necessary. But indeed, my plan is to only turn their beloved city against them.”

---

NOTE: I updated quite fast, didn't I? Haha I was watching the season 1 of 'The Originals' when I was composing this. And for some weird reason, I got inspired by Klaus's English accent lol

But anyways, I hope you all liked that chap :))
And I suppose you're all wondering by now whether the 1D boys are on Team Jessi's side or not. Well, you'll find out soon on the next chaps x))

THANK YOU for the growing support, gheis! I LOVE YOU ALL SO MUCH for that <3
So, until my next update? I'll see you all soon :DDD

(Oh yeah and if you're wondering how Stephanie looks like here...)

Ciao~