Déjà Vu

Promise
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

I was waiting outside the X-Ray Department, hands clasped together as I anxiously tapped my feet on the floor. When is she going to be done? I looked up and saw nurses roaming around the department. I stood up and approached one of them, "Uhm... do you know how long an X-Ray takes?" 

"Depending on how many body parts, it might take a while if it's CT Scan or an MRI but an X-Ray would usually only take a minute or so," the nurse kindly explained as she bowed and hurriedly walked away to her job. 

I sighed and massaged my temples, my right hand on my hips. Why is she taking so lo-... as if she could hear my thoughts, I heard the door open from where she entered and saw her exit with an unreadable expression on her face. She looked up and saw me, nodding at the dressing room as she wordlessly went to change her clothes. 

I crossed my arms and sighed in relief. 

After five minutes, she walked out with her purse in hand. I walked up to her and took her purse and held it for her, she looked up, taken aback by my sudden gesture. She raised her eyebrows and said, "I can carry my own bag, you know..." I smiled and shook my head, "Didn't you know?" 

"...what?" 

I leaned in and whispered, "...I'm into designer bags." 

And suddenly, a fit of laughter bursted out from her own mouth. It made me smile even more, feeling glad and relieved that I made her smile somehow. She shook her head and chuckled, her laugh dying down slowly. "Do I have to be interested in neck ties and pointy shoes now?" She joked. 

I grinned and chuckled. 

"Maybe," I muttered as I placed my hand on her back and lead her out of the X-Ray Department. I looked down from the corner of my eyes and saw her still smiling, not until we arrived at the waiting room just outside the X-Ray Department. She stopped walking and looked at me, "Dr. Kang said to wait here... until they find out the results." 

I blinked and my smile immediately faded. 

However, I just nodded my head and followed her to one of the seats available. I sat down with her purse on my lap and looked at her. She was fiddling with her fingers, obviously getting distracted by it as she stared down on the floor while seeming to be in deep of thought. 

I sighed and nudged her, getting her attention. 

She looked at me with her eyebrows furrowed, "Yeah?" I looked at her entire face and saw how her eyebrows creased against each other. I saw how bad her dark circles had gotten. I saw how sunken her eyes looked and I saw a woman that didn't even have the energy to talk anymore. 

"Are you hungry?" I asked randomly. 

She furrowed her eyebrows even more before chuckling to herself and shaking her head, "No, but thank you for asking." She went back to her original posture and continued to fiddle with her fingers. I looked at her handbag and set it at the seat beside me and took her hand with mine. 

Shocked, she stared at me as I softly massaged her fingers one by one. 

Her tense posture slowly dissipated into a relaxed one as her fingers melted into mine. "Does this help?" I silently asked, knowing how anxious she felt inside. Giving me a vague, yet clarifying answer, "mmm," I glanced at her from my peripheral vision and continued to massage her fingers. 

---

The way Jiyong touched my fingers made me fantasize more about him, and I knew that isn't something I should do right now. Right now, I should be focusing on how I can help myself fight this losing battle. X-Rays had always scared me and so did CT Scans and MRI. They were all traumatic experiences because it was one thing that could clarify one thing I'm afraid the most of. 

In a matter of minutes, I'm about to find out if what I have right now will let me live enough to marry Jiyong or if it will let me live in this hospital until I save my last breath. 

My hands felt so secured with Jiyong, as if a lost jigsaw puzzle piece had found its perfect match. I watched as Jiyong slowly and diligently massaged my fingers just like how my father used to do it. Like déjà vu, it felt so surreal that Jiyong knew how my father massaged me when I was younger. I sighed in content as I watched Jiyong intently. 

As if he felt that I was staring at him, he looked up and grinned. 

"Why are you looking at me like that?" He asked with a hint of teasing in his voice. 

However, I didn't mind. He was already doing me a favour for making me remember such good memories of my father, why should I get mad? I shook my head and gave him a weak smile, "Nothing... you just remember me so much about my father." And that's when I realized he knew nothing about my real father. 

Was I too careless? I immediately reverted my attention to something else and prayed that he wouldn't question me about it. 

"Oh, your father does this too?" He unfortunately asked. 

I gulped and nodded my head slowly, "Y-Yeah. H-He did." I knew he must have been talking about the father figure I have now, but it was far from that. Maybe someone that looks just like my real father, but not the same person. He nodded his head and kept quiet for the time being. I thought his questionnair would be over, but I was suddenly taken aback by his next question. 

"How come your father... seems so distant to all of you? Especially, to you?" 

And that was when my heart

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter