Memory 7

H & S Memoirs

The day passed in a blur. Things move fast as if it doesn’t want to wait for people and just wanted to do it by its own. A whole day of feeling sick had put a heavy toll on Hanbyul as she just lies down on the bed, completely fall into a state of deep sleep. The clock ticking, the hollowness and emptiness of the sick bay had contributing to the rest she had.

She wakes up startled to see that its already 1.30 pm. Hanbyul had missed four of her class after she sleeps off the dizziness in sick bay. Deciding that she still doesn’t feel fine, she ask for permission to leave the academy early. The nurse in charge gave her a sick leave and informs the academy administration of her absence for classes. She sends the assignment to her lecturer, relieved that she won’t need to think about it again.

She heads out from the academy, driving her car to Maple House café to grab a cup of hazelnut latte. Since there is one hour and half left before Chaerin finish school, she plans to kill her time by staying in this quaint café. Meanwhile, she needs to think about on how to approach Oh Sehun because today plan does not work as what she thought of. She orders her favourite coffee to a worker and went to sit down at  a quiet corner of the café, looking out at the scenery from a window besides her.

Her coffee is steaming hot as it was freshly brewed by the male barista that put her mug of coffee on her table after he is done preparing it. The male barista whose name tag written Byun Baekhyun smiles warmly at her trying to gain her attention but Hanbyul being an ignorant person she always been didn’t even return back the smile. Baekhyun still keeps his smile on even when Hanbyul doesn’t notice him because he truly knows well her behaviour.

Byun Baekhyun is a senior in WM Academy, 2 years older than Hanbyul so obviously he knows who Park Hanbyul is. He works at the café as a part time job and turns out his class finish early today so he comes to work earlier. Just as he was serving the counter, Hanbyul is the first customer he served for. Ever since he works at this small café, he always saw Hanbyul here because she is one of their frequent customers. Unintentionally, Baekhyun had watched her from afar every time Hanbyul visit the café as he was captivated by her.

Hanbyul sips her coffee, almost scalding her tongue as the hot liquid touch it but once the drink enters she enjoys the sweetness of the hazelnut mixed in latte. She was in her own world, blocking off all the noises in her surrounding as her memory flashback to the moment where Sehun helped her this morning.

Oh Sehun had helped her before so it might be a good idea to use that as an excuse to get closer to him. She considers this as a mean to get near him, making sure she had a pretty valid reason to say to him tomorrow when she goes to meet him so her intention is believable. She can just say that she is grateful for his assistance during the time she was weak. Truthfully, Hanbyul do feel grateful of his help even though she doesn’t appreciate the closeness they get into.  She still remembered the soft texture in her palm which she doesn’t have any clue what is it.

The softness was comforting and she keeps flexing her hand trying to decipher and relive the feeling but nothing comes out from it. Instead, her movement is noticed by Baekhyun who sees her from behind the counter as he wipes the coffee machine. Instantly, another smile is put up on his handsome face while he watches Hanbyul doing that action with a blank face.

Baekhyun was pulled back into reality when his co-worker, V orders him to brew espresso for a middle-aged man. He then proceeds making the coffee, missing out Hanbyul who stands up after finishing her coffee to go and pick up Chaerin. Once he finished, only then he notes that Hanbyul is gone. Baekhyun sighs to himself for being a coward since he never try to talk to her, afraid she will reject him like how she reject others.

Hanbyul on the other hand, went to get Chaerin and along the way she is still thinking about the situation she is going to be in tomorrow. The plan to confess to Oh Sehun and bring him into a relationship she will creates.


~This is it, there is no turn back. I better do it fast and quick then everything will just go as I planned~ Hanbyul monologues in her mind.

After considerate thinking and planning yesterday, Hanbyul had decided to launch her mission in the cafeteria in front the whole students. This is because all of the students there will be witness to the confession she makes and soon news about the budding relationship between her and Sehun will be known to the entire academy. That way, Jung Daehyun will buy the news and prevents him from harassing her again. Hanbyul had properly planned this idea and she hopes it works.

She straightens her hair, untangles the loose locks and then heaves a deep breath preparing herself for the upcoming battle. A battle only she knows and probably Jung Daehyun. However, she will make sure Daehyun will back off after this plan work.

She is standing in front of the cafeteria door, her heart is beating wildly in her chest and she never felt this nervous ever. The nervousness is killing her so she just braces herself to just do it before she changes her mind.

She pushes the door open with a slight thud. With that, everyone’s eyes turn to watch the arrival of their queen and mixture of amusement and amazement of whispers can be heard here and there. Hanbyul’s presence was something that cannot be missed by the students since she holds a certain aura that was strong enough to grab their attention. Her every step is being watched by hundreds of students. A male student even dares to give Hanbyul a chocolate milk can but Hanbyul didn’t take it because her eyes is only focused on that particular person. The person who seems oblivious in a circumstance he will be in.

Sehun was immersed in reading his book while munching on turkey sandwich he bought at MH café this morning without realizing that Hanbyul is approaching his table. All of the students now shift their attention to the tables consist of Sehun, Kyungsoo, Suho, Chanyeol, Minseok and Yixing. They all wonder why Hanbyul goes to that table. It is even weirder when they know for the fact that Hanbyul never really speaks to other people besides Kim Sunmi.

Hanbyul stops right behind Sehun’s back and Kyungsoo, Yixing and Chanyeol who is facing Sehun was paralysed upon seeing Park Hanbyul. They can’t believe their eyes especially Chanyeol who was so shocked he drops his spoon on the floor. When Hanbyul stand there, the cafeteria that was filled with noises before, now it’s filled with an eerie silence. Hanbyul desperately want to bury herself in the ground where no one can see her because the attention given to her is absolutely suffocating. But she was reminded for the purpose she do this so she clenches her fist tightly to face it.

She greets Sehun’s friends who are facing her with a tight smile and they look really confused and astounded with her demeanour. Chanyeol almost pops his eyes out seeing the smile given from Park Hanbyul but Sehun was still in his own world. She takes a small breath which is unnoticed by others and calls out that name she desperately need.

“Oh Sehun” her tone was unexpectedly soft and timid contrasted her usual firm voice.

Sehun who didn’t notice everything from the beginning until now finally looks up from his books once he heard his name being called by an unfamiliar voice.

He turns around to the source of voice and met with an unexpected presence of Park Hanbyul. His face shows confusion but his eyes remain calm. The first thing he looks on Park Hanbyul is her face. The light pink colour on her cheek where blood is running on her face, her eye bags seem less prominent than before and she doesn’t look deathly pale like yesterday so he assumed Hanbyul is okay. She looks fine now.

“Yes, Park Hanbyul. May I help you? He asks because never in his years in WM Academy, Park Hanbyul comes to see him. He thought it’s probably for some help she need. However, he didn’t expect the things that come out form Hanbyul’s mouth.

“Thank you for yesterday. If you weren’t there, I don’t know what will happen to me” she smiles warmly but even that small gesture had already cause surprised reaction from the students there. Park Hanbyul never smiles that way to others. The quiet cafeteria slowly filled with murmurs and whispers of the shocked students with her unexpected action.

Her gratitude for Sehun’s help yesterday just made Sehun nod to her statement. He reply to her with the same smile and said it was okay.

“I’m glad you are fine now” he sincerely said. Sehun thought that Hanbyul will then go on her way like she usually did but she still stand firmly on the spot. Now, he feels extremely dazed.

Before he can ask whether there is anything else, Hanbyul speaks up first.

“I know this might seem sudden but would you like to go out with me?” her words caused eruption of chaos as voices of the students who are surprised with her question went louder and louder. Everyone cannot believe their ears on what Hanbyul just said. They had to ask twice to the person beside them if they heard it right. The cafeteria had become noisy to the point it was uncontrollable. Obviously, it was something they can’t comprehend because their queen had just asked the nerd of the academy dating! It was pure shocking.

But the people who were taken aback the most are Sehun’s group of friends and of course Sehun himself. He who is calm and relaxed turns completely surprised. Never in his life, he was asked by a girl out or went for a date let alone being asked by Park Hanbyul, the Queen of WM Academy. This must be a dream. Sehun wanting to make sure he didn’t just imagine it opens his mouth.

“Wait, I’m sorry but could you repeat what you just said?” He stutters his words to ask Hanbyul for reconfirmation.

Hanbyul who is aware with the sudden changes in the crowd’s voices and surroundings, without hesitating she reply to Sehun’s questions.

“I want to ask you out, if you don’t mind” she clarify shortly with firm voice so that her message is clear. So the message will be clearly understand by all of the students that she is asking Oh Sehun out for a date.

When Sehun heard it, he was thrown into a trap of confusion on the intention of Park Hanbyul. He may be clueless in this kind of thing but he wasn’t dumb. He search for Hanbyul’s eyes to read her emotions but it shows nothing. While everyone is pretty noisy to hear such statement, Sehun was still in complete shock until Suho who sit beside him had to nudge him on the shoulder.

Sehun snap himself from the dazed state, stands up to face Hanbyul. He will need to answer her or else it will be just a hell for him. He contemplates in his mind to accept or reject. Both options will also put him in hell, he thinks. He then looks and stare at Hanbyul who now put her blank façade on replacing the smile she had before. This might be weird but he will need to see what it is about. All he needs to do now is give his answer.

“I would love to” he smiles to Hanbyul and his reply made the cafeteria goes even wild. It’s like the animals in zoo had just escaped as the noise keep getting louder with that one words from Sehun. Hanbyul smiles triumphantly knowing her plan works.

“I will see you later, then” she holds out a piece of paper to Sehun. He accepts it, their hands brush slightly but the contact only last for a second. Hanbyul bows politely to Sehun’s friends and with a wave of her fingers to them, she walks out of the cafeteria.

“What the hell just happened? I think I saw something unbelievable, I’m must be dreaming” Chanyeol slaps his face hard in which he founds it painful. His eyes go big. He stares at Sehun and the rest of his friends who all bears the same expression as his. The confusion is carved on their features with the announcement of Hanbyul dating Sehun. That is just the biggest news of the year!

“That wasn’t a dream, Chanyeol. It is real!” Kyungsoo shouts enthusiastically ecstatic with the luck Sehun had to date with Park Hanbyul. They all turn to watch Sehun who is reading the paper Hanbyul just gave to him. Majority of students there also watches him and their minds are filled with wonders, awe and jealousy towards him. But Sehun only focused on Hanbyul’s delicate writing on the paper he holds in his hand.

~Meet me at the vacant stadium, 1.30pm.~


S:

The words of what happened in cafeteria sure takes many people by surprise and even our lecturer know about it. Unexpectedly, Professor Kang conveys his congratulations by writing a little note on my thesis paper when he handed it to me. I couldn’t stop staring at the paper reading every line of his words repeatedly in my head.

The same goes to Chanyeol who had goofy smile on his face after Hanbyul walks off, saying I was d*mn lucky. Suho hyung pats my back proudly like I’m his son who had achieved the highest award ever and Minseok hyung also had those ginormous smile of his plastered on his face as if he found his favourite bread in front of him waiting to be eaten. Kyungsoo was mumbling unintelligibly and I caught between his mumbles which pretty much sounds like he was thanking God that “Sehun had found a girl” which I think was unnecessary.

After I finished my meal in the café, I walk to my next class at Lecture Hall 1 where every single person I met along the way can’t keep their stares and whispers to themselves. Sure, I did expect this kind of attention given that Queen of Darkness had chosen me to go out for a date. But, we are not in a relationship yet so people should keep their judgement aside. Bothering feeling and questions forming in my head on what exactly is Park Hanbyul wants had been stuck in my head the entire time I was walking.

Yesterday, she despised me when I want to help her but today she shows the exact opposite side of her like she had a fling on me. It doesn’t make sense. As I sit here in the hall, most of the guys are giving me glares of hatred and by their body language; I can read that they think I’m not even worth Park Hanbyul’s attention.

The girls are giving me confused stares as if they were thinking what does Park Hanbyul sees in me. With their burning stares and glares, it struck my heart as I realized of how little they think of me and how much these people only judge a person by their look. I might be bad in styling myself up like how they are but I’m comfortable with the way I am. However, those things are the last thing on my mind as I wait impatiently for the class to finish so I can confront Hanbyul at the stadium. Immediately once the lecturer is done with his talk, I rush out of the hall and to our rendezvous.

The door connecting to the stadium and outside is pushed and a slight noisy creak is heard. I pass through the door and look around the stadium, spotting the person that I need to meet. A headphone covered both of her ears and she was immersed in the music not even notice that I am here. So, I walk in front of her since she was leaning on a railing of a bench without any movement.

Her stillness awed me. Once I’m near here, I tap the railing making it vibrates so she will wake up from her trance. She opens her eyes to meet mine, lowering the headphone to her neck.  She spokes up first as always to be the one in control of the situation.

“I know what you think” her tone is hard, complementing the seriousness of her aura.

Not wanting to drag this any longer than necessary, I ask her directly the burning question I kept in my mind after the incident in café.

“What exactly is your purpose asking me out?” I observe her reaction but she still remains in the same position, not even flinching.

“I will be honest with you. There will be no need for me to hide this from you since you will be involved in it more than you think. The real reason why I asked you out is to show to Jung Daehyun that he cannot touch me again. Once he know, I had someone by my side which is you, he will not dare to force me again as always”, I frown after hearing her and push my glasses up who slides down on my nose back at its place.

“Why would you opt for this kind of solution? I know he had been pestering you a lot of time but I think you are wiser than this to went such an act which is way out of your league” , her calm features break when I said that. She pushes herself from the railing to stand straight.

“I don’t have any other choice besides this absurd idea. It may look or sound ridiculous to you but it is the only way. He had been way over the limit and I don’t know what kind of things he may do to me if I didn’t do this”, her voice rose higher and higher with each sentence she spoke. She seems really angry and I was taken aback by that. Hanbyul looks really desperate and I feel sorry for her but I’m still curious.

“I get it now. I won’t question you further regarding that. But why would you choose me, not someone else?” that question had been lingering in my mind and once it was let out, I wait for her answer.

“You are probably the only male here that will not touch me inappropriately and I know you are not interested in romantic relationship. Let’s treat this relationship we are going to have as a business. I will help you in other things you possibly need but you must help me with this. I really need you so Jung Daehyun will not bother me again”, she was right about me and I can’t deny her. She seems absolutely determined but I’m afraid that Daehyun will not back off as she thought he will be.

“But do you think people will trust us if we are together? Jung Daehyun will not just let it go and you choosing me are quite unbelievable. I’m probably the worst person you could ask for help since everyone in this academy don’t like me like how they favour you.  Why you didn’t take Kris, he even confessed to you. It will be much easier for you and me” her frown deepened and disgust painted on her face with the mention of Kris name.

“I hate that snobbish dude and besides he likes me. He will definitely touch me if we are dating and I particularly hated guys touching me. And you, I know you wouldn’t do that”, she points her little finger to me and then put it back to cross her arms on chest.

 What she said is true. I never force any initiation of contact to someone else without their consent. But I still wasn’t convinced this will go as she planned.

“How come you are so sure Daehyun will give up if you are with me? Don’t you think that this relationship doesn’t sound plausible?” I prod her with questions. She averts her gaze to stare directly into mine while she speaks.

“I know him well than you. He may be resilient but he never backs off from what he said and he did say he will give up if I had a guy with me. Even though, I hated to be in this too, I will just take it as the only way out from his grip” she explains then breaks off the eye contact we have.

“You and I are in a symbiotic relationship, you can think of it like that. We both will get the benefit from it. It won’t just be a baseless and useless relationship” she continues. I brush my old vintage jacket I got from my dad smoothly as I think of her offer. She probably notices my hesitation because she adds on another word after that.

 “Will you please accept it, Oh Sehun?”, her tone turns pleading with her eyes now looks lost and it caught me by surprise with the unexpected changes from her cold gaze. However, it was brief as her eyes gains back its infinitely dull gaze again right after she finishes her sentence.

She seems really persistent from the way she explains it in such long sentences, clearly sending her messages to me. I mentally recall her words and offer in my mind trying to see the pros and cons of it. There are many possibilities in the future which we don’t know yet what will happen but I felt it wasn’t such a bad idea after all. Perhaps, this will be my chance to get to know Park Hanbyul who wasn’t so easy to approach. It is a rare moment.

“If that is your offer, I will take it. I’m doing this for your sake and I hope our relationship will help you in the way you wanted”, I concluded by accepting her plan. I hold out my hand as a mean of a handshake. She eyed my hand cautiously and from the look on her face, she seems dissatisfied with it so before she can retort back, I speak up.

“It’s a formal business relationship just like what you had mentioned and by you accepting my handshake; it is sort of will seal our deal.  You know, a handshake won’t hurt. Besides, since I’m your boyfriend now, some intimate contact is allowed to make it believable to others”, I defend my act. She outwardly grimace and roll her eyes. I almost laugh at her rare behaviour.

“We don’t need to have all those touchy skin ship or whatever couples do. I can just say we are not into skin ship. Those people will believe it even if it sounds ridiculous”, she attempt to stray away from any kind of direct skin to skin contact by giving out those words to me.

“Hmm, well okay if you want to” I nod agreeing to her as I reluctantly put down my hand, slipping it into the pocket of my jacket. She definitely stands firm to her belief and never wavers to other favour.

“Give me your phone” she said, extending her hands to me. I take out my hand phone and give to her. She grabs it slowly, avoiding from touching my hands. From my point of view, I saw that she types some numbers and once she dials it, a ringtone sounded coming from her jeans pocket where her phone is. She just let it be until the sound dies.  

“This is my number and I will save yours in mine” she holds out the phone back into my palm. I grasp it between my palm and fingers, caressing the metallic structure as I listen to her.

“I will tell you the details tonight. Make sure this deal is kept a secret and understand that the truth is only between us. No one must know, not even your friends or family”. She warns me with her eyes.

For others, they may cower in fear because that warning gaze she gave certainly is scary but for me, I find it appealing with its clearness and at the same time there is cloudiness. Once the conversation is done, silence fills up the big stadium. We both stand there with me watching her and Hanbyul keeps her eye straight in front. Then, Hanbyul just walks off passing me to the door without saying goodbye. She exits the place first, not even bothering to wait for me or ask me whether I will follow. I’m not surprised because she did that all the time.

Being alone in the stadium, I bring up my phone; unlock it to see the name “Park Hanbyul” written at my recent contact. Seeing that, I realized that I’m officially is Park Hanbyul’s boyfriend. What a weird fate I’m being thrown into.


Hi, just wanna say I love BTS new song and their choreography kills me. They look really awesome. Thank you to those who subscribed. Feel free to comment

~Blossom_sprng