Memory 5

H & S Memoirs

Change is what sometimes we need. It’s not wrong to step out from your comfort zone and embrace the new reality you put yourself into. Take up the challenge and for once, just forget about everything you had been before to accept the new side of you.


H:

Impatient tapping of foot hitting the creaky floorboard of library can be heard even when the loud music is blasting in my eardrums. Controlling my irritancy, I glance up from my book to find the culprit whose is disturbing my reading. What catches my sight is a dark haired foreign boy which I barely recall his name is standing beside the book shelf with his arms cross on his chest. His cloudy gaze penetrates into my eyes causing me to be a little bit flustered. But my emotion is kept controlled and I won’t let my face betrays me to show my true feelings.

He has a dark aura surrounds him just how his black hair seems to be blacker than normal. He stares at me with an equal cold manner like how my annoyed glare to him. I look down to his black red striped sneakers who keeps tapping the floor noisily which he didn’t even bother that this is a library which he should know best about the basic rules since he is the one who works here. The number one rule is to be quiet and not loud like what he is doing now. I take out my earphone and at that moment, I finally remember him.

Huang Zitao, how could I forget that name and the deep gaze he always wear on?

Sunmi used to have this teeny weeny crush on him before and now it was replaced by her current boyfriend Kai. She seems to have this weird attraction to those people who are mysterious and cold and that include me. Yeah I am cold and can be deceptive sometimes but Huang Zitao is in a completely different level than me. At the very least, I did smile to others even if it is forced. Tao on the other hand, he completely shuns himself from other students because for almost a year now, I never see him talking to other people.

Most of the time he just had that annoyed look or scowl draws on his face and he always speaks with bitter tone. Or maybe he did talk to others but I was oblivious to it because I myself never really care about what happening in the surroundings. One thing I know from Sunmi is people don’t dare to talk to him because of the intense gaze he always carries with him. Sunmi knows everything in the academy so she will be filling me up with any news she got so I wasn’t left out in the dark. And another thing, she has a tendency to investigate the background of people she is curious about. That includes this Zitao in front of me.

“What?” I raise my voice to him. I rarely lose my temper to someone I barely know as I will keep them under control but with him I don’t really care since he kind of ruin my mood first with the constant tapping. Guess I just hate being interrupted and the morning incident had already dampens my current state.

“Check your watch,” he instructs me. I roll my eyes inwardly on his unfriendliness. Should know better when it comes to that lanky guy. Reluctantly, I pull my sleeve and read the hand pointing on the number on my watch and instantly I realized why he seems really moody. Perhaps, I get the answer to his annoying attitude. I gulp saliva to prepare a smart statement which I found it quite ridiculous to utter it to him but I’m at the fault here.

“I didn’t notice it was this late. Sorry,” I apologize as polite as I can.

“I bet you are. Now could you get your off and start moving already. It’s freaking late and you just waste my 10 minutes of shift because of your carelessness now, “he spoke so harshly that I could feel anger boiling inside of me.

“What a nice employee you are. Maybe you could be awarded with the best librarian of the year if not for those snarky comment. And it’s not that I’m purposely doing this. I just lost track of time,” I tilt my head feeling bored talking to him as my hands start to unplugs my earphone from my phone and put it inside my bag. I sense a slight tension wrap his body but he hides it well.

“Just go, Park Hanbyul. You are such a headache”, his eyes look straight ahead while talking.

Wow, a nice change from all those admired eyes who always following me and those gentle praises I always heard. His harsh tone is just one of a kind which I found it amusing from the expected of this Chinese male. Such an obvious distaste you show there. I wasn’t planning to stay any longer too. I grab my bag and place back all of the books on the shelf. He stands on the side watching me intently with his black eyes who I notice had dark shadow envelopes his eyelids.

Brushing him off, I got out from the library and the fresh air outside greet my skin touching me with its coldness. I shiver slightly, wrapping my sweater tightly around my body to prevent the coldness to completely take over my body. I check my phone for the time and I’m shocked its already past 8 pm. 2 message comes up, one is from Sunmi stating her apologize on her boyfriend’s behaviour which I just shrug it off.

Another one comes from mom saying she can’t fetch me and this was from 4.35 pm which I clearly miss it. Mom is driving my Bentley because there is an emergency at the company and hers one are sent to the workshop so she send me to the academy this morning. I type a reply to Sunmi and mom.

Gosh, I should stop myself from being too distracted easily now. Why I didn’t realize that is 10 minutes past 8. The empty ground of WM Academy at night sure doesn’t feel safe. Since I know many terrible cases do happen here even though the higher ups always promote it to be the safest place for you to study, it definitely doesn’t soothe me to feel safe.

I bite my bottom lip knowing that the last bus to my home had already departed at 8pm so I guess walking home is my last choice. It will take approximately 10 minutes by feet and I hate spending money on taxi so I have no choice but to bear myself for this uncomfortable journey. Luckily the street is still busy as ever so I don’t feel scared to walk by myself.

All I need is to avoid dark alley and dim lit street than I will surely be fine. Right? You should, Hanbyul. Why are you even questioning yourself? I breathe a sigh of relief because my house is only a few distances away and the first thing I will do once I arrive at the comfort of my home is to lie on my comfortable bed.

However, my instinct kicks in because I know someone has been following me and I put up with a defensive mode to be cautious in case that person tries to do something. I’m not that clueless or naïve to not sense the feeling of being followed from the academy until now. I just choose to ignore it by walking in a safer place with street bustling with people so that he won’t have a chance to bother me with many people around. I’m sure it is a guy who is following me by judging from his built when I catch his reflection on the mirror of a shop but I didn’t get a good look on his face. Now, I’m nearing my house which is completely clear with no one around, I feel terrified. The neighbourhood is too empty and regret fills my mind for not going back with a taxi.

I clutch my bag tightly and sprint my way towards my home, praying he will not disturb me. I pray so badly and I wasn’t prepared for the upcoming attack on me. I almost lost my balance when unexpected hand suddenly grabs me from behind. He slams my back on the wall hard causing me to wince in pain feeling my body will surely bruise the next morning. I muster up my courage to glare at the person who is in front of me and try fighting as hard as possible to get out from his tight grip. The lightning is quite dim but I could make out his feature and after recognizing the familiar scent emit from him, I scoff tiredly. His scent was recognizable anywhere since he had continuously approaching me with such close proximity many times that left me with bitter feeling every time I near him.

“What do you want now, Jung Daehyun?” surprisingly my tone is calm when I speak to this mentally unstable guy.

“You know what I want, Park Hanbyul. Don’t act dumb when you are the smartest girl in our academy,” I try to push him from me but he won’t budge. He is just too strong for me. Groaning inwardly with my failed attempt to shove him off had made me mad. No matter how much we girls want to protect ourselves by learning all those self-defence moves, we are just too weak compared to man.

“I told you so many times already and you should get the message by now. I don’t intend to date you at all,” he start to laugh creepily and I had to bite my lip to stop myself from trembling and show any weakness so he would not take advantage of this situation. I won’t let him have the upper hand.

“I don’t back down easily, Hanbyul-ah. I had already told you so” I cringe with the tone he is using and I glare coldly to him to display on how much I was disgusted with him.

“Awh, don’t look at me like that with your pretty eyes. You just make me like you more” he coos. This is getting more and more uncomfortable.

“You know I would not stop chasing you until you finally have a guy beside you. Only then maybe I will consider letting you go. I know you for all this year and if I’m not wrong there is not even a single guy ever by your side.”

“You don’t know me, Jung Daehyun. I might have one that you don’t know.” I lie right through my teeth. He gazes at me intensely and it makes me feel extremely scared.

“Don’t lie with that little mouth of yours. It doesn’t suit you.”

Don’t let yourself crumble, Hanbyul. Stand tall and be brave.

“You barely give a glance to all guys in the college and you reject all the confessions made to you. You are just a cold Queen of Darkness. But that is why I like you so much. You are so hard to get it becomes a challenge to me. I want you so badly you know that I will never stop just by the countless rejections you did to me. It won’t be that fun, isn’t it?” I feel creep out with each sentence he utters.

“Let me go, Daehyun!” I shout at him. I practically scream on his face because this situation has gone too far.

“Make me,” he leans close to me and I decide this will be the right time when he is completely unaware with my action. I kick him hard between his legs that sending him groaning on the ground. Hurriedly, I run to my house which I’m glad not far away from the horrid place he caught me. Unlocking the door quickly, I go inside and close the door quietly.

Act like normal, Hanbyul. Be calm, he can’t go inside here. The living room sounds lively with the chattering of Haera, Chaerin and mom. They are not asleep yet so I should pretend everything is normal, I don’t want to bother them with this.

“Byul-ah. Is that you, honey?” “Yes mum.” I reply as calmly as possible ignoring my pulsating heart beat which ringing in my ears.

“You are late and I’m sorry for not being able to take you,” she questions me with an evident concern in her eyes.

“I lost track of time, I will go up first,” I keep the conversation short to avoid any more questioning and before Haera unni come and notices my odd behaviour. She had always been the observant one in the family and I do not want to be caught.

Once in the comfort of my room, I slump down on the floor as I breathe heavily and still feeling my heartbeat pumping wildly after running from the unexpected situation. I can’t breathe and only now I feel my hands shaking and body trembling. Rubbing my arms harshly, I grab a fistful of my hair trying to erase the nervous feeling.

Seven times. This is the seventh time he has been harassing me by forcing me to go out with him. The second time. This is the second one he had been acting wild and physically touches me which I had constantly try to avoid. I had lost count of the other forced confession he had done since it was just too much to handle. Damn. Damn. Damn!

I don’t even want anything with him. I can’t possibly run to the police because obviously my luck runs out. I laugh dryly for thinking such an impossible thought. He is the Chief son for god sake. Obviously I won’t get any good things from it by reporting him to the police, I might just make it worse.

My hands are itching to call Sunmi and wail to her about my miserable problem. But no, I have a humungous pride to protect and I certainly hate to shares my thoughts to someone else even if it is my own best friend. Guess I need to deal it myself.

After washing up myself and by having the refreshing shower, my mind is clearer to think again of the plan to get rid of Jung Daehyun. I pace back and forth in my room as my mind work on its gear thinking the best way to get out from Daehyun’s invisible hold on me.

“You know I won’t stop chasing you until you finally have a guy beside you. Only then maybe I will consider letting you go,” his word whisper in my ears and a light bulb formed in my mind. A guy. In exchange to get rid of Daehyun, I need a boyfriend. Well just a guy that I call boyfriend but I swear not to love. But isn’t it stupid, to use a guy. There must be other ways than this idea. I contemplate with myself on this baseless thought I have. I try to think more on other plan but nothing comes up.

, I don’t even care. If this is the only way, I can terminate him I just need to do it. Maybe all I need is to let down my guard for once. Great, I am so going to regret this decision.

The shiny black book sitting majestically on top of my shelves is waving at me like it knows what I am searching for. I grab it, clearing the thick dust off the book and “WM ACADEMY GRADUATION BOOK 2012/2013” written across it is what greets me. Here it goes.

A hunting for a boyfriend or I will like to call it a bodyguard that will kick Daehyun’s for me. Boyfriend sounds ridiculous. I should choose wisely for guys that will not have any interest in me or some dude who probably have a tiny crush on me but will be too scared to initiate any skin ship. I browse carefully each page to find someone that will strike me as the perfect one.

Athletes, musicians, actors, dancers, and the geeks. Well, most of them confessed to me and I did reject them so I can’t go and accept them now. That is just low for my standard.

I scan the pages with the list of all guys in my academy. My eyes land on Kris Wu, the snobbish heir and he is so out of my list. Hmmm, move on. Next is Xi Luhan a Chinese senior student who is astonishingly, I find him cute but he is way too pretty like a girl.

 I flip to the next page which consist more of the dancers and singers. Kim Jongdae or commonly known as Chen has an amazing voice but I do know he is a player and friends with Kris so ultimate no. Lay Yixing, the talented dancer who I know from my previous math class with him. He seems nice but I just found him to be hard to concentrate on. He seems distracted a lot and I don’t find that traits likeable.

Next, this times a page full of the geeks and the normal one. They are cool and it’s not that bad being around them since they are knowledgeable and doesn’t sprout any nonsense joke like Park Jimin did. The doe eyed boy catch my attention immediately because of his shining eyes and his bright smile. His name is Do Kyungsoo, a suitable name for the owner but one thing; he is too cute for my liking. My eyes trail a few faces and reading their names before it stop on the person that I distantly know.

Oh Sehun, the genius kid. His big glasses that sit on his nose and the old fashioned hair style he dons every day in school and that clear eye that seems to burn through my own is what attracts me to it. We barely talk and rarely greet each other. I do know he is pleasant to be with but I find it quite irritating he beats me in the academic ranking. He had a sturdy and well-built body even though they were hidden in that ugly suit he always wore. He is smart and he don’t really interfere with other people stuff and definitely doesn’t stuck his nose up on others business.

Our last encounter was weird and bizarre. He seems to have interesting characteristics which I had a hard time to comprehend. And as far as I know from Sunmi who basically knows all the gossip in this world, he never has a girlfriend before so he is definitely inexperienced when it comes to dating.

Finally, I found the perfect candidate. Step one is accomplished. Tomorrow is a step two. This plan better be good.