Memory 4

H & S Memoirs

 

This is Hanbyul point of view, H and also Sehun which is S. Big thanks to people who subscribed :)


H:

Soft and small voice calling out in the white bare room. There are nothing in this room except emptiness and myself. I was completely alone but I’m pretty sure I heard a voice of a man. It was distant yet so close. It was calming and also disturbing. It was disturbing in an unexplainable way but not the type that made me feel scared of it. It wasn’t scary, it’s just weird. And the only word I can grasp is “change”. I don’t even understand what it was trying to say.

 ‘Yul, look in front and stop daydreaming. Do not lose focus now’ my inner thought keeps telling me to wake up and listen carefully to the ongoing lesson. I mentally smack myself to freshen up so I will not lose in my trains of thought.

Lately it’s been hard for me to concentrate on school lectures as if there is something holding me back to fully focus as the bothering feeling from that particular dream keeps gnawing at the back of my mind. Why is this happening? I’m assuming that it must be the tiredness from the overload of work and assignment. And the accident yesterday definitely added to the sleepless night I have been suffering now. Maybe I should rest and stop tiring myself out.

But then I remember if I want to score for the examination, I need to finish these assignments before the deadline and its three days away. My assessment test is also coming up next week and I haven’t completely finish revise it yet. Last semester exam, Oh Sehun beats me and I certainly don’t feel good about that. That guy seriously made me feel annoyed. Why did he need to be so clever? Even though I got first in the Literature department but for the overall rankings in the semester 3 examinations in WM Academy I was second after him.

`Whatever, just focus Yul.’

 I watch the middle aged lecturer start to point something about this foreign novel, Anna Karenina on the slide projecting from his computer before a soft giggle interrupts me. I turn my head to the right watching Sunmi typing fast on her phone. It must be her boyfriend that I never cared about to even know his name. She was smiling from ear to ear and it looks dumb because she should be happy if she got A for a test rather than just a simple message from a guy. I can never understand that thing called love. The moment she keep her phone back, her eyes meet mine and she mouth what, I just shrug and ignore her the entire class.

We are cool with each other and the gossips died down today since I only caught a few talking about it. No one seems to care much about it and that is reassuring. The day resumed normally as usual with the greetings and all. Some of them even offer me words of encouragement and cheers of amazement for my action on previous day which I find it astonishing. Nonetheless, I am glad Jung Daehyun did not show his face this morning or it will just ruin my mood all over again.

The bell rings signalling the end of class. Today my lectures end early so I decide to head to the library to finish up my work on the review of foreign literature and the assignment I had been holding up. Collecting my stuff as quickly as I can and put it in my bag, I wait for the class to clear out from students. The class starts to disperse since most of the students now are going out for that music event held in the auditorium. I heard the band called B1A4 is performing, that’s why it makes sense why the girls in my class keep giggling about it before the lecture start. Sunmi come beside me and a big smile is plastered on her face.

 “Byullie,” her high pitch voice in calling my nickname she made up for me make my stomach squirms uncomfortably.

 “Stop calling me that, Sunmi. It sound so, girly,” I keep my cool and scold her quietly.

 “It’s cute though. Beside, only I can call you that. It makes us feel much closer right,” she grins widely. This girl is just too bright and I don’t know how she is able to stand me, the stoic one.

 “People keep calling you the Queen of Darkness here, it starting to take effects on you. You know what, you are getting darker and moodier day by day. Everyone is afraid of you yet they like you. It amazes me that you don’t really care about the attention and you pretend it never exist in the first place,” Sunmi shares her thought about me.

 I do care Sunmi. I just don’t talk about it. I didn’t tell her that instead I say,

“It’s not important so I don’t feel a need to bother with it. Let’s go,”

 “Hm, always being the pessimist one. By the way, Kai just texted me saying we are going for a date today. Speaking of my boyfriend, you haven’t even met him.” She mention about her unknown boyfriend to me with this dreamy sparkle in her eyes.

 “Yeah and I don’t plan to meet him,” is my answer and her face contorts into an unaffected expression like she already expect my answer.

 “I know you will say that. Whatever it is, I am dragging you to meet him whether you agree or not. You should try to meet new people too, Byullie. Don’t just stick with me. It’s a disease you should cure,” she start to babble nonsense in my opinion.

 “Come and meet him afterwards for my sake. I had been dating him for 3 weeks now; you should meet him and become friends too and then we can know his other friends which I’m pretty sure you will like. And did I mention that he friends with Kris?”

God, this is so much worse. Out of all the guys you dated, you are with the one that befriends the Kris Wu dude. Contemplating in my head, I try to come out with a good excuse to not meet the guy. Guys are a jerk in my view and it had never changed since that day.

 “I’m busy and beside it’s just a guy Sunmi, it’s not like I’m going to die if I don’t meet him,”

 She just stare ahead saying nothing for a few seconds so I know she completely buy the excuse but I am so wrong. Kim Sunmi never gives up on anything. Once she asks you to do something, you must do it no matter what.

 “Please, please, please Byullie. I’m your best friend. You won’t decline such a request from your pretty and super nice friend right?” her hand clasp tightly and she looks at me with those big puppy eyes that can melt all of the guys in this academy.

Kim Sunmi, I don’t fall for your trick but I will just let my guard down for her today. Only for a couple of minutes, I assure myself. I will consider this as a payback to her.

 “Fine but it will be exactly 10 minutes,” I relent.

 “Yeay! Let’s go then”

 She practically skipping along the hallway in graceful way, I can see guys are gawking at her. Once we almost reach the parking lot, she stops immediately and start smoothing down her clothes and fixing her wavy hair. Things girls do for a guy. She wave to the guy who leans his figure on the hood of red Mercedes under the sweltering summer.

 “Hi Kai,” she say bashfully and suddenly become a lot more girly. I hold back the laughter that threatens to come out and Sunmi detects it by glaring at me secretly.

“Hey, Sunmi” a dimple form on his cheek when he smile as he greets Sunmi with a hint of dreaminess I caught in his eyes. Maybe he did like her genuinely.

Don’t make assumptions too early, Yul. My inner mind telling me to raise my guard when it comes to unknown guys.

 I scan his feature for about 10 seconds before I look away and compose myself to be ignorant as much as possible. He is not bad looking; I’ll admit he got the look. Dark bronze skin, brown eyes and sharp face, if I didn’t know better I would think he is a model. But looks don’t define your manner and all guys are the same with only one desire.

 “Owh, Park Hanbyul. Nice meeting you for the first time. I’m Kim Jongin, 2nd year dance student. You look stunning up close,” he mentions his name and that compliment he gave is way too much for my liking. Such a smooth talker and he thinks he is hot just by the way he leans onto his car. He outstretched his hands to me but I just ignore it. He hesitantly puts down his hand when I don’t respond to it.

 “Yes, Kim Jongin. Well, I never see you before. I guess you didn’t stand out much,” I ignore his last remark and there is no need for introduction of myself since he kind of knows me. Almost everyone in the academy do so it wasn’t exactly a surprise. I had learnt to accept that fact.

He chuckles softly before talk again, an amused expression painted on his face.

 “The prestigious Queen of Darkness of WM Academy. It definitely suits you,” a hint of mocking tone is captured by my ear; I pretend to be oblivious about it.

 “Sunmi didn’t introduce me to you at first so it’s been quite a pleasant surprise to finally able to talk with you. You are just too hard to approach and now, I guess we will know each other quite well for the time coming,”

 “Well, Hanbyul was quite busy for the past weeks. Sorry for late introducing you guys to each other,” Sunmi defends me on my side.

 “I just want you to know about my friend who had always been interested in you. Ah, you know him so well. Kris, the one you humiliate in the public. I got to say you are amazing for turning him down. He was absolutely furious last night. ”

I mentally cheer at the mention of Kris miserableness. I never thought what I did caused such a heavy toll on him.

“Since we will meet up more now, I think you should come to our place sometimes to hangout. I bet Kris will love it and for sure you will not reject him for the second time. You are just playing hard to get. So will you like so?” he unexpectedly asking me a sudden question that absolutely irritates me to the point I almost let my guard down.

 On the first meeting, he shamelessly dares to ask me such nonsense. He just step the boundaries there. Sunmi glances at me nervously, she probably notice the change in my mood because when I feel irritated, my eyes will twitch slightly. She opens to say something but I cut her off first.

 “I don’t think so, you should try another trick next time. Tell Kris, I will never, ever go out with him,” every words that come out from my mouth drips with coldness. I sense Kim Jongin body seems tense after I reject him square on the face.

 “Sunmi, I will go first”. I waved them off without even looking back.

 I walk hurriedly but still maintain the pace to the library to finish my work. This definitely can take mind off from the situation before and I quietly slip into the almost empty library. The smell of old books mixed with many fragrances of the students in this air conditioned room approach my nose calming my body for a bit. I seem to find peacefulness in this place.

Browsing through the rows of bookshelves, finally I found the perfect spot that had all the books I need and I sit there conquering the small space by myself. Plugging the earphone, I boost up the volume to drown other sound in the room so I can live in my world again. This dose of music in my ear is what keep my world goes on and it is something I never share to anyone. I flip the revision book taken from the bookshelves and start my work in the literature review. This will be the time for me to gear up myself and finally be in my own world without other people bothering me. Setting the books I need beside me, I then focus myself in writing the report as meticulous as possible.

 

S:

 He has been asking me the same question for the tenth time and its getting on my nerves. Park Chanyeol and his unstoppable mouth keep on repeating the same question that got him stuck for 1 hour to me, insisting me to explain it again and again. We are at the library and he doesn’t even care about the rules. The librarian on charge keep giving us warning glances but Chanyeol still grunts loudly, flipping and scribbling his book like a mad person. Lay who sit beside him had to be the victims since Chanyeol`s arm constantly hitting Lay`s head when he erase the wrong answer on his book. I had to restrain myself from hitting his head, afraid it will cause bigger commotion in this place. So to prevent that and save Lay from the miserable condition he is in now, I suggest an idea to all of them which I know they can never resist.

 “Guys, we should go out and eat some food to bring back our energy. And I think we kind of need a rest or two so let’s call it off for today,”

 All of their heads turn up at the mention of food especially Minseok hyung whose eyes getting bigger as times pass by. Suho hyung also agree, Kyungsoo who is bitting the bottom of pencil stares at me with blank eyes, Lay just nod weakly and Chanyeol immediately close his book and be the first one to stand up.

 He is the first one to stuff his belongings in his bag and hurriedly run out to the front door. We just stare at the tall boy and shake our head at his antics. Everyone walk out and I ask them to go first since I need to find one book for my assignment. Walking to the sections of the subjects I`m finding, I stop at the language section. What greets me there is the figure of a girl who is deeply immersed in her books. Her body is against the shelf and she didn’t notice my presence at all.

Park Hanbyul.

Her name vibrates in my brain leaving trails of unknown feelings. She is unaware of my presence and I can’t seem to move forward as my legs stay rooted to the floor without any intention to move. She then looks up to meet my eyes. Her unreadable eyes with cold gaze hold me on the spot. She takes out her earphone and with the powerful tone, she speaks up.

 “Am I bothering you?”, her question came out unexpected. I reply to her.

 “No, I just need to take a book from there. So if you must excuse me, may I?” I gesture to the shelf in front of her.

 She stands up from her position and giving me space to take the book I was looking for. When I’m closer to her, I catch a whiff of vanilla scent and it entrances me. She is standing quite close to me since the space between the bookshelves is small and compact. My arms brush her smooth hair sending me tingles which I never felt before. I browse through the selection of many books and I found the one I need, bringing it to my chest. Then I proceed to go out from the tiny space and before I leave, I turn back to her. She didn’t get to sit down yet when I say this to her,

 “Vanilla is appealing. You remind me of spring, full of warmth and comfort. Park Hanbyul, you seem less scary,”

 She didn’t react to my nonsense sentence instead her lack of emotions interest me more. Kyungsoo always tell me that I can’t seem to contain my thoughts to myself and when I spill it, it’s always a weird remark. What I said to her is another one of my sudden thought. I just give her a small smile and then walk out to meet my friends. Before I walk away, I certainly did not miss out the tiny details of her. Her eye wavers slightly when I said those words. She may hide it by showing blankness but I had learnt to read her. Even the small movement never escape my eyes. Such an unpredictable girl she is.

Pushing the door open, I put my bag pack on my shoulder and heads to the group of boys who chatting enthusiastically with each other. Suho hyung slung his arms around me and we walk to our parked car together.

“Took you long enough to get the book, Sehun. You met someone there?”, Suho hyung look at me. I nod to his question.

“A girl with the name of Park Hanbyul”. Chanyeol turns around and give me this knowing look.

“Lucky you, I never get a chance to be close with her. Can only watch from afar”, he sigh. We know Chanyeol is a fanboy of Hanbyul but he said that he only admires her, there is no feeling or affectionate attached. Knowing him, we believe his words.

Kyungsoo and I ride with Suho hyung in his Audi while Lay and Chanyeol ride with Minseok Hyung. We all plan to have lunch at our favourite hangout, MH Dining. After we finish with our food, we all go back to our own home. Back at my house, I still think on my encounter with Park Hanbyul. Truthfully, I had always admired her strong willingness and her intelligence. She seems like someone who only depends on herself to pull off in this world. The first time I met her, she left a deep impression on me. The encounter we had in the library probably won’t be the last one and somehow I know what I’m thinking is true.