Memory 3

H & S Memoirs

Hello, peeps. This chapter comprise of two point of view. First is from the third point of view and the later part is from Hanbyul's view which is H. Do comment because I will like to know more about you people.


Dreams are hard to comprehend. It can be sweet or it can be terrifying. Mixed emotions can be involved when we are dreaming. No one can interpret the dreams that we encounter as dream is only a figment of an imagination created by our mind during the state of unconsciousness.


The accident in the cafeteria had left Park Hanbyul in a bad mood and so she decides to go home straight away after her class finish. Her plan to finish up the assignment meant to be handed on this Thursday in her favourite coffee shop, Maple House has gone out of her mind. Sunmi try to catch up with her right after her class finish and together they go back home. It was never a bother for Hanbyul to send Sunmi home since she is the only friend that always sticks by her side.

They went inside the car and soon the car engine is turn on. Hanbyul drives out from the parking lot, gearing up for the freeway. Sunmi is fiddling with the radio button and once an indie rock crank up, she finally let it be. It is Hanbyul’s favourite song – The Dear Hunter: Whisper.

“You should just forget about it, Byul. He is always like that and you know that”, Sunmi speaks up after a long silence.

“I don’t care, Sunmi. Let’s not talk about it.”, Hanbyul briefly said.

Sunmi glances to the right to watch Hanbyul’s face but she didn’t catch her eyes darken at the mention of the accident earlier since she is facing in front driving. Hanbyul is just good at hiding her emotions.

“You are foolish for rejecting Kris. If you just accept him, then Daehyun will stop bothering you. I think you need to think about it again and find a boyfriend soon. It’s for your own good”, Sunmi half scolding and half consoling her.

“I don’t need a guy to protect me. I can fare well by myself and 19 years of that had been proven. Let’s just stop talking about it, can we?”

“I’m concerned, Hanbyul. You need to stop being a stubborn mule for once and get to know other people too. I have never seen you take up any interest in any guy and it doesn’t seem normal to me. Just what is your problem?” Sunmi questions her.

“I just don’t want to. We should stop this talk now. Give me time to think, okay”, Hanbyul finish the conversation with a pleading tone.

Her tone catches Sunmi off guard because she never hears such a vulnerable and shaky voice from Hanbyul like this. She doesn’t want to push it further so she keeps shut until they arrive at her house. She bids a quick goodbye to Hanbyul and watches her Bentley swerving away from her compound.

Sunmi felt uneasy with Hanbyul’s behaviour and worry start to wash her mind. This is not like Hanbyul at all, she said to herself. Tomorrow she will console her again but firstly, she needs to apologize to her for being insensitive and asking such senseless question just now. She then walks inside her house while thinking the best way to made up with Hanbyul.


Once Hanbyul reaches her home, she turn off the engine and walks to the front door with slow steps. Her key jingles in her hand and with that she unlocks the door and the warmth inside the house is what greets her and instantly making her feel comfortable. Nothing feels better than being in your own home.

"Hi, mom", Hanbyul greet her mother that sit at the couch in the living room whose reading a newspaper at her lap. Hanbyul’s mom looks up and her eyes are filled with so many emotions as she stares at her daughter’s lovely face. A genuine smile forming on her lips who then brought a soft smile on Hanbyul’s face. The newspaper she holds is put down on the handmade wooden table with much care as she answers her daughter`s greeting.

“Oh, Byul-ah. You are back early. I thought you went to the cafe today as usual,” she questions her.

It’s rare for Hanbyul to come back home at 3 pm because she always come back late at 6pm every Monday. This definitely intrigues Miss Park with the sudden change since she knows Hanbyul very well.

“The café is busy so I will just study at home”, Hanbyul  tell a white lie to prevent her mom for being worried. She knows her mom will be paranoid if she didn’t come up with something believable.

“Okay then. Do you have lunch yet?” she eyed her gently seeing the tired expression worn on Hanbyul’s face. Hanbyul occasionally shows her true feeling which etch on all over her face sometimes when it was too hard to bear but she never really speak it out loud in words.

“It’s okay, I don’t feel hungry. I will go upstairs first. Bye, mom”, with that it ends their short conversation as she walk to her room ascending the stairs with soft clacking of her feet on the wooden board. Silence fills the house again with the sound of door shutting from upstairs is gone.

Mrs Park sigh softly after watching her daughter disappear through the stairs.  Looking at her tired figure made her feel sad. Hanbyul never open up to her no matter how much she tried to get involve in her life. She had done everything that she can to know her more but it seems there is no space for her to come in no matter how many times she tried to.

Deep in her heart, she knows that Hanbyul loves her family more than she loves her own self. Mrs Park can see it from her treatment towards her siblings as she take great care of them, how she would stand for them when they are in trouble and how she always be the supportive one for everything in their life. The problem is she never wants to get the same treatment. She never expresses her true feelings like her other sibling and she’s the type who does not show any emotions towards anything. Smiling for her had been rare for each passing day.

Her biggest wish is for Hanbyul to smile like she used to when they were younger, when everything seems to be happy back then. All of her siblings are close to Mrs Park since they will confront her about their problems but when it comes to Hanbyul, she completely shuts other people from her world. With her other daughters, Mrs Park can easily detect their emotions as if she can read their minds but Hanbyul is a difficult case. She is unreadable in some way.

Mrs Park brings up a picture of 5 girls on the beach smiling and waving with her hand. She wipes the glass and touches the smiling face of Hanbyul which bring tears to her eyes as she remembers those days. Days that Hanbyul had been happy and the day that changed the way to it are now.


H:

Truthfully, I feel pathetic for pushing Sunmi and mom away but I can’t help it. I just hate it to get them involved. What happened back there will not affect me much but it does give me an unpleasant feeling for being humiliated by Jung Daehyun. As much as I despise Daehyun, he is a tough one to get away from. But I’m not weak not to be able to protect myself. I don’t need guys like what Sunmi suggested. By doing what she says is like breaking the rule I had set on.

After locking the door to my bedroom, I lay down myself on my bed, the safe haven for me. The clock’s ticking at the wall is the only sound I heard in the quiet space. I have been staring at the white bare ceiling trying to clear my thought for a long time until I can trace the shadows illuminated at the blank area by the light from the moon. I didn’t even notice that time flies and its already night by the time I realize that my rooms is completely dark. Slowly, I push myself from the bed, switching the light on as I make my way to the bathroom to clean up myself.

Once I’m done washing, I put on my comfy clothes. Water still drips down from my wet hair leaving small traces of it on the tiled floor in which I just ignore it since it will dry by itself. My stomach rumbles asking for food and I realize I didn’t feed myself properly and because I don’t want to end up with a stomach ache, I go down to the kitchen to grab some food.

I open the refrigerator to check for any food but after spending almost 10 minutes watching it mindlessly, I push it close without taking anything from it. I have no appetite but I’m still forcing myself to eat if I do not want to have a gastric. It had happened many times and it feels like crap. Instead of taking any heavy food, I opt to grab a piece of chocolate bread and make myself a cup of hot hazelnut mixed coffee. That should be enough to satisfy the hunger.

While chewing the bread, I walk up the stairs and reach my room when my phone rings indicating an incoming notifications. 3 message from Sunmi. I unlock my phone and open up the first message.

Sunmi: Byullie~~ Hope you are okay

Sunmi: Byul, Byul I’m sorry for pushing you just now. Sorry, sorry, sorry…..

Sunmi: Byullie, are you mad? I’m sorry. So so much. Don’t ignore me please.

I chuckle to myself while reading her message. Afraid she might goes panicked if I didn’t reply to her, I instantly message back to assure her.

Hanbyul: It’s ok Sunmi. You are forgiven. I’m not mad at you, it’s just there is a lot of things on my mind. I will be okay and you know I always will.

Two minutes later, a new message pops up.

Sunmi: Yeay, you are talking to me. I’m scared you will ignore me. I guess I will see you tomorrow then. Hehehehe, bye bye >_<

Once I finish reading the message, I silently laugh and relieve to have Sunmi as a friend. She is the only one who stick by my side all the time. I always had a hard time to mingle with other people. I admit that I am not a good friend and I always thought friend is complicated.

I hate being involved with people except for Sunmi. She doesn’t push me to say something if I don’t want to. She respects my decision and my privacy so she is probably the only person that I can bear with. I know I was kind of harsh to her because well I don’t really shares my thought to her but she doesn’t mention anything about it so I am comfortable being around her. Sunmi is a total opposite of me. She is outspoken and sociable while I am far for that. But we are brought together as friends and now we are really close to each other. She had other friends too but I only have her.

 I switch off my phone and decide to just abandon my assignment for today since I barely have any mood to do it so I guess I will just sleep early to forget everything that happened today.