Memory 1

H & S Memoirs

Mask is meant to hide the identity of the person behind it. The ultimate purpose is to deceive other people about the real persona hiding behind the image they presented. They can only know the face of the mask but never the real person behind it who pretends to be someone else.


Park Hanbyul,

Queen of Darkness is the title held by her or specifically given to her by the students of WM Academy. For what reason? Due to her cold, serious and overwhelming aura emitted from her had thus gained her the famous name. But the nickname given is probably because of her taste in style which is purely black from head to toe and she had this passionate love towards the colour black judging by her daily appearance in the academy. Every student in WM Academy admired her and thus called her the Queen of the academy.

What they don’t know is she hated the attention, the measly title that she found to be nuisance and constantly causing headache to her. For her being a normal girl is much better than all of this. She never understand why people look up to her no matter how much she tried to make sense of the situation, she just can’t seem to find the answer for she thought herself to be one of the most boring and unfriendly person which people can’t seem to get along with. It’s just a complete blur case to her mind.

The moment she step out from her Bentley, all heads turn to her like some strong force made them to look as though they were pulled by the gravity surrounding her.

 “The Queen is here!”

Someone shouts at the corridor announcing the arrival of their beloved queen as she struts her way to the hall with a wave of cold air emanated from her. Hanbyul just sigh silently, her face remains expressionless but there seems to be a slight twitch on her lips indicating her annoyance to the attention given out to her but it soon passes as her face remains stoic again. Walking with high confidence through the hallway murmurs of hi and good mornings can be heard all pointing to Hanbyul.

Even though she is reluctant to greet back, she know its rude to ignore other people and being raised in Park`s household, manner and etiquette is the priority for this family. She is never the one to bring shame to her family so she replies those greeting with a simple nod and a small smile. A smile that seems a little bit too forced but is well hidden on her face. Like the perfect mask she always had. Other people don’t see that, what they see is just her exterior not the real her.

 {Another lifeless day of lectures and assignments. I wonder where Sunmi is now.} Her thought speaks to herself. The moment of talking to herself is interrupted with a shadow hovering in front of her.

 Out of nowhere, a bright red box with a bow tied on it came face to face with Hanbyul. She is taken aback for a moment but regains her composure to get the real view of the person behind the box. There stands the tall boy with a haughty smirk forming on his lips and his eyes crinkle mischievously with his deep brown orbs staring at her. Kris Wu Yifan, the Chinese-Canadian student in the academy who is well known for his drop dead good looks and gentleman personality loved by all girls in the entire college standing there with his amazing long legs planted firmly on the ground. His charms may work to all of the ladies in this world but it does not affect Hanbyul at all. Just for the fact that he is standing in front of her made her mood turns sour.

 “Park Hanbyul-sshi, I bought you the highest quality Belgian chocolate from one of the most refined company in Korea which I personally chose so you could taste this piece of art yourself. I have wanted to invite you to the shop personally but I guess letting you taste it first would be much appropriate so you can contemplate to accept my offer next. Hope you like it,” he spoke effortlessly with his words constructed in an elegant manner as how the heir of WY Company will sound like.

 Hanbyul want to refuse his gift politely but before she even had the chance to say it, Kris continues his sentence with a cocky tone.

 “You know you are lucky I went through the trouble by taking up my time just to buy this chocolate and approach you for this matter since I am a man with a lot of things on my plate. Just so you know this also as a means of me asking you out for a date”. He winks seductively to Hanbyul and girls who watching this went wild with his cool acts in public proposal. 

 He flashes his trademark smirk that captured girl’s heart but Hanbyul remain unfazed by his action. She closes her eyes momentarily to prevent herself from rolling her eyes on this rich brat in front of her. With a smile that she had trained this entire year plastering on her face, she stares directly to his eyes, her blunt words spills out of monotonously.

 “It was nice of you. Thank you for the precious time you spend on this chocolate and I never intend to cause you a hard time finding the chocolate for me. I guess you were that desperate,” her words drips with sarcasm are simple because that’s just how she is. She hates to talk in long words on something that she considered wasteful to be speak out unless it involves serious business or educations. She passes Kris and a small smirk is carved on her lips while walking back to the direction of her class before stopping in front of a small petite girl who is staring dreamily towards Kris.

 Hanbyul holds out the chocolate to her while saying “Take this. I bet you will love it knowing that Kris himself picked it out. Enjoy.” A mocking tone is interlaced in her words spoken to the girl who is surprised with the gift and her remarks.

 With those actions she moves with head held high ignoring the frustration and angry tone of Kris Wu calling out her names. Cold hearted, that is the Queen of Darkness specialty and people love it. Crazy, but its true. For the students in WM Academy, they found Park Hanbyul interesting and well respected lady amongst the many. She had this special aura surrounds her making her untouchable and they all are entranced and fall in the trap of her absolute charisma. Awed with her cool act, they gazed adoringly at her figures before the crowd dissipates to their own class. For Kris Wu, he stands rooted to the spot dumbly and astounded by her attitude.

 

On the opposite side,

Oh Sehun,

Sitting on a blue chair in a computer lab immersing in his own world of technology and he certainly had miss the most embarrassing moments of Kris Wu in his entire life. Missing out the priceless face of that arrogant dude, how wasteful! Despite the loud commotions happening in the hallways, nothing can make him lose focus when he is concentrating on something that deeply strung his heart as his passion for science is too high.

Top scorer, the perfect student and the nerd.

That is his nickname in the academy. I mean, who doesn’t know Oh Sehun, the walking dictionary, the epitome of geniuses, the guy who girls don’t even take a second glance at, the average nerd guy that people just ignore despite his perfect achievement in academics. That doesn’t impress them, all they want is looks and personality. Not the brains and cleverness which is all Oh Sehun traits. Did he care? Not even the slightest. In fact he doesn’t give a damn about it. As long he gets his top spot in the academy, nothing bothers him. So we get back to his love for the science until he is being ignorant of the situation when his little magical world is interrupted with a painful smack in his head by no other than his own best friend, Do Kyungsoo, the doe-eyed boy.

“Stop being so obsessed with your computer. Your grin scares me out,” Kyungsoo remarks. Scratching his head, Sehun turn his body to the left to face his friend who had a frown creasing on his brows.

“I’m just one step earlier to discover the evolution of human. Mr. Jung didn’t teach this yet so it’s better to be well prepared,” he casually said. Kyungsoo puff out his breath frustratingly while listening to his friend words.

“You are unbelievable. Why do you even need to know that so freaking early? We haven’t even touched the chapters yet and by the way it still far more to go before we reach the topic. Here you are impossibly excited looking at it. Don’t you feel bored? “He states and then mentally face palmed himself for asking such a dumb question.

Of course he doesn’t feel bored. It is his passion. But he wished that Sehun will act like a normal teenagers around their age and not this nerdy guy that constantly seems to have a relationship with his own computer. He sighs deeply and harshly pulling Sehun to stand up.

“Joonmyun hyung ask me to get you because class is starting soon. Come.”

Sehun obeys but feeling regretful to let go his new discovery. They walk out of the room and enter their classroom. As he steps inside, his eyes immediately spot his favourite hyung, Seo Joonmyun sitting on the usual spot in the middle of the class. He respects his hyung so much because he is one of the few person that is willing to talk and friends with him beside Kyungsoo.

His eyes scans the whole room and spot the girl that sit in the far left of the class with her usual charming poise as her body sit straight in the chair with no trace of cockiness and arrogance from the way she present herself. Just a stiff and bored manner can be traced from her position detected by Sehun.

Sehun can easily read other peoples body language but when it comes to Park Hanbyul, it was hard for him to interpret her language or even her words. There seems to be a wall that is built around her. But sometimes he occasionally caught her slip up on her expression which no one sees. No one noticed how her face sometimes contorts into unreadable expression which only Sehun managed to detect.

Their eyes meet for a couple of seconds and to be polite he gave her a small nod which she replies in the same way. Words were never spoken between them unless it is necessary as both of them find it bothersome to meddle in someone else affairs.

For Park Hanbyul she couldn’t care less with other peoples life for she prefer to live in her own circle of thoughts not wanting others to evade her privacy. For Oh Sehun, he finds it wasteful to talk about something which is unimportant or useless for his opinion. Then again, both of them shared the same quality but neither noticed the similarities as both seems to be creating their own world without allowing other people to have access for it. Both never realized what fate will bring them into it for a new story will evolve from now on.